5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Monsters, supernatural, fantasy, romance, criminality, slice-of-life (modern or set in past, usually with some twists)
m;l.png

The past week hadn't been the best or easiest to cope with for Zephyr. In fact, every day that passed brought him something new to worry about or reluctantly suffer with, and while no event in his life would affect him as much as the incident when he was 10 would, the week had still been incredibly testing for him.

He broke his arm on the Monday, and while the injury healed itself in a matter of seconds (and fortunately nobody had been around to witness that example of his abilities), the pain lingered and bruises remained. He could heal himself from a variety of injuries, but he wasn't invulnerable to pain, and nor could he make every shred of evidence disappear from his body. Bruises would always linger as evidence of some sort of physical injury, and while these would eventually fade, the fact he was covered in them most of the time was yet further evidence of the abuse he suffered at home. If he could just will them to disappear, life would be far simpler for him - he wouldn't have to deal with his father laughing at his beaten state, nor would he have to come up with excuses for how a new bruise had appeared on his skin to his worried boyfriend and friends.

On the Tuesday, he had to return home to his parents who, still unemployed and concerned about the lack of money coming in to fuel their habits (gambling on his father's side; alcoholism on his mother's), chose to relieve themselves of their concerns by taking it out on their children. They often targeted their daughter these days, the youngest of the family and the one least capable of defending herself, but Zephyr's defence of her often left him the one most injured - and he was fine with that if it prevented his little sister from receiving the flurry of punches or verbal abuse. By Tuesday night, he was having to force back an arm into its socket and clean up his own blood from the wooden floorboards, the pain of the attack still registering by the end of the week.

Wednesday and Thursday were far from as dramatic, but they weren't without their stresses either. Working at the deli downtown was genuinely the best place Zephyr could imagine himself working and didn't really have any aspirations to find any other job. The pay was measly but he got to work with people that were from the same country he was and they had become his close friends -his first ever friends, in fact- and he didn't want to abandon that, ever. His closeness to them meant that any abuse they received from irritated customers was taken personally, especially if xenophobic insults were hurled in their direction, something that, unfortunately, was becoming more common. The majority of people that came in were nice and polite, but the odd person that chose to insult them instantly ruined Zephyr's day - and the two midweek days had been soured because of such an incident.

However, it was the present day -Friday- that really ruined the 19-year-old's week. He was at work at the deli, absently listening to his co-workers playfully bicker about sport when chaos erupted outside. He didn't really need to look to know what was going on; another devastating attack by the city's most infamous villain, with police unprepared as per usual for it. The fact these attacks could occur at daytime was brave and, apparently, nobody had learned their lesson that the villain wasn't scared to do so. Not even the few superheroes that reigned in the city. They arrived eventually, to aid civilians and hold back infrastructure from causing more damage, but not soon enough - the attack had happened and the villain, ultimately, allowed to leave without much of a fight.

Zephyr didn't want anyone to know about his powers so, as much as he wanted to just take off and kill the villain as he had always planned to, he couldn't (and wouldn't) abandon the deli and his workers, nor could he allow them to learn what he could do. Only one person knew, that being his boss and closest friend, Dimitri, who was also the only person that knew what had happened to him and, thus, understood the burning hatred he possessed for the villain. None of the other co-workers realised, but, on their own volition, also disliked the masked villain. It wasn't even because of the damage he caused to the city or the people he hurt; it was mostly the pomposity they felt he possessed that irked them. There was nothing more irritable, they said, than those who had powers and arrogantly showed them off.

Hours had passed since the attack and Zephyr had been left to try and get over his anger about it, the only thing that really enabled him to smile and break free of that being Sebastian's entrance into the deli near the end of Zephyr's shift. He hadn't expected to see him until later, so being surprised by his appearance immediately made him smile, the expression growing at the familiar faked groan of annoyance from his boss. Dimitri had been the one to encourage him to accept Sebastian's offer of a date, being the couple's biggest supporter, but he did like to playfully poke fun of how in love the two seemed to be.

"Don't you go kissing now, wait until you're out of my shop to do that. You're both insufferable," he grunted as he folded his large arms, the heavily-bearded 30-year-old grinning to at least show he didn't mind too much. "Good thing you showed up, Seb. This one was getting all moody again-- after that attack, y'know?--"

"It pissed me off for an hour, that's all. Ruined business for the day, didn't have a customer come in after that. They were too scared to come into town," mumbled Zephyr in reply as he hung his apron up and removed his name tag quietly, determined not to let his hatred show, however difficult it was to pretend that his bitterness wasn't boiling beneath the surface. "It's fine, it was sort of nice to have a break for once, anyway-- why are you here? Are we heading out or something? Doubt anywhere's open tonight, Seb. That villain guy made a pretty big mess of the city earlier, so..."

“Is it so wrong to want to see my boyfriend a little early? Not to mention the fact that I would like some of the best cold cuts around, my fridge is getting a bit barren,” Sebastian replied easily with his own wide smile, his cheeks growing rosy at Dimitri’s feigned annoyance. It wasn’t very difficult to make the man flustered or embarrassed and it seemed Dimitri had figured that out and had no problem teasing him. He didn’t mind, of course, often returning the fake annoyance once alone with Zephyr. With his arms behind his back, he waited until the other stepped over the counter to offer a bouquet of flowers. “I was also too excited not to give these to you. I was going to wait but I just wanted to see you smile, so...”

In comparison to Zephyr, Sebastian’s week had been a breeze. He often made scheduled days to attack the citizens of Chicago in advance and had decided to switch it up, doing his usual chaos in the middle of the week. It was partially to keep the police and superheroes on there toes but also because he hadn’t seen Zephyr all week and at least wanted to dedicate some time to them alone. When you’re your own boss, you can choose your own hours, right?

Unaware of the abuse Zephyr faced, Sebastian enjoyed the lovely weather they had been having. After waking up and hurrying to work at a job he quite enjoyed, he had decided to treat himself to a cup of coffee at a small shop nearby nearly every day. It was a treat for being such a great villain as well as giving himself some warmth while his boyfriend was away. He then would either head home and relax or head out and cause some havoc, depending on his mood. His life was simple and fun, just how he liked it... bar the fact that Zephyr wasn’t by his side.

To say he was a bit protective was an understatement, though he was thankful to realize the notion was shared between the couple. He couldn’t force Zephyr to sleep over or better yet, move in with him but that didn’t mean he hadn’t proposed the idea multiple times. It didn’t help that he saw the bruises that covered the other’s body, the sight always making his muscles tense as he kept the urge to find his boyfriend’s parents and crush their throats with his bare hands. He instead would let out his frustration another way, often resulting in the distraction of property. He would feel that same anger later when noticing just how many bruises Zephyr had later on but once that moment, he was far too happy from another successful day of villainy and the prospect of having his boyfriend for the weekend to acknowledge the small bits of purple and yellow he saw hinted on his boyfriend’s collarbone.

“The florist was still open,” Sebastian explained before setting the bouquet down, offering a kiss to Zephyr’s cheek. He had intentionally avoided businesses that he liked or visited often, hence why his favorite coffee shop had never been touched. Dimitri’s deli was safe, of course, as were a few other stores and businesses about. “As for some meat, I would love a half a pound of sliced chicken breasts and another half a pound of salami. We have to stop at the store as well later on, I wasn’t kidding about my fridge being nearly empty. I forget to eat when you’re arouns,” he admitted to Zephyr with another bashful smile. “I’m exhausted today so I wanted to get us something quick and easy for dinner, yeah?” He admitted, the slight backs under his eyes evidence. While he enjoyed his villainy, it did consistently take quite a bit out of him, especially since he had gone step hours of his limit. He flew home quickly and proceeded to pass out for at least an hour and had to make himself a cup of coffee before heading out again.

Reactions: potassiumboron
"You work way too hard, you know? I rarely see you without dark circles under your eyes - I don't want you overworking yourself, Seb. You need time to relax too. I'll stay over all weekend, how about that? Make sure you don't go exhausting yourself. I worry about you sometimes," he declared easily, the worried sentiment something he had confessed countless times. Whenever he did get to see his boyfriend, the other was mostly exhausted from one thing or another, the villainy clearly taking it out of him and giving Zephyr reasons for concern. He never got a straight answer for why the other seemed so exhausted, but he also never pressed the topic too much. He never really answered Sebastian when he asked why he was bruised so much.

Of course, the truth came out eventually, mostly after Dimitri confessed on his behalf out of care for his best friend, but he still, to this day, glossed over it and changed the subject before his boyfriend could probe him further on the details. He had never once let on just how bad the abuse was or how horrendous his home life could be, preferring to avoid the conversation entirely. It was that secrecy that made him feel guilty about demanding straight answers from Sebastian, knowing how hypocritical it was, so opted instead never to ask him outright why he was so tired. It was best just to show concern and not expect explicit details.

"These are cute, though I'll have to put 'em in a vase at your place. My mom doesn't like flowers, says they give her watery eyes and make her sneeze, so I could probably do without the headache of her yelling at me for bringing them into the house. They'll look great on your coffee table, anyway-- in that purple glass vase," he decided as he took in the bouquet with a faint smile, absently noting that he hadn't smiled so much all day-- or perhaps all week for that matter. He wasn't a notoriously cheery person anyway, not since the accident, but Sebastian always seemed to find a way to penetrate the wall he had built up around himself. It wasn't possible to sulk and scowl whenever his boyfriend was around, especially not when he surprised him with flowers or traditional Bulgarian chocolates as he often did.

"We can go shopping, sure-- though you really ought to keep your fridge well-stocked," he pointed out as he moved back behind the counter to get the other's order together, humming contentedly as he placed the slices of chicken and salami into different bags. "I'll cook tonight; I can probably rustle up chicken soup, that's quick and easy. We can eat it over one of those historical movies you like so much, I'd rather sit through one of them than a superhero movie. Those films are trash."

“Don’t even mention those movies,” Sebastian murmured with a small grimace at the idea. He had been shown them constantly in the academy, reluctantly listening to his classmates mention his parents as they watched. The memory made him shudder, his gray eyes briefly taking in the city outside. Blinking back, he offered a smile to avoid having to bring notice to his brief distance. Watching the slicer instead, he briefly moved from the table to instead pick up a bag of chips as well, and a jar of pickles. Ever since meeting Zephyr, he bought a good amount of food at the deli and why wouldn’t he? He not only was supporting his boyfriend but they had a good amount of food he could get at the local Walmart. He preferred to spend his money helping Dimitri while also getting what he considered the freshest cold cuts in Chicago.

“Oi, I’m not the only one looking tired here and I know you fall asleep like, ten minutes into them. I remember I was so excited to watch a documentary on the Vietnam war and you were snoring before they finished introducing the cast,” he reminded, setting the food down on the counter as he balanced the flowers in the crook of his arm. He knew their date nights weren’t particularly full of energy but he thought seeing a nice jazz band live at a quiet restaurant was just as good as going to a rock concert. They could go to a club but he couldn’t snuggle up to Zephyr in his pajamas on the couch at some club, right.

“Chicken soup sounds nice, we can buy some French bread or something to toast it with, yeah?” Sebastian continued under his breath, more so thinking out loud than anything. It was a habit he had, especially when he made lists... and he was a very lost oriented person. Tapping a finger to his lips, he let a slow smile come to his lips.

“I’ve been watching a lot of reruns of cooking shows lately while you’re gone, I’ve peetty much written a cook book for us to try. I only ever eat this sort of food when I’m around you so I hope it doesn’t turn out horribly. You’re more the cook than I am, so... perhaps you outta cook it,”he continued for babble in his classic, quiet tone. “Ah, it’s okay! We’ll figure it out. I just got my paycheck today so we can splurge a little.”

It was a lie, naturally. While he certainly made good money at the book store, he also had quite a big cash saved up from his robberies. He chose not to dig too deeply into it and, while he knew it was cheesy, used most of it towards gifts for Zephyr. It was just more evidence of how much he had fallen for the man. Rummaging through his wallet, he pulled out the proper amount of cash while resting a hand on his hip. “We should also pick up more coffee filters, I’m running low.”

For the longest time, Zephyr wasn't allowed to use the meat slicer at the deli, at least not since the accident that had resulted in him slicing off a good chunk of his hand - and ultimately caused him to reveal to Dimitri the powers he had. It was impossible not to confess it all when the bearded man watched in horror as Zephyr's fingers regrew and healed themselves, after all. Even despite knowing that his employee (and his best friend) was immune to injury, the man had protectively kept him away from using the machinery, both to ensure his secret remained just that and he didn't expose himself to customers if an accident did occur again, and because he cared too much to ever observe him in that amount of pain again. Just because Zephyr could heal himself didn't mean he was immune to pain, a fact Dimitri unfortunately witnessed for himself as he weakly observed the blood that had spurted everywhere and the agony it left the teenager in. Only recently had he relinquished control and allowed the other to work properly, though it never stopped him hovering nearby and keeping a close eye on things, being willing to do whatever it took to ensure the other, who he saw as a younger brother of sorts, remained both healthy and free of recognition for his abilities.

"...You can knock off ten minutes early, Zeph. Just go enjoy yourself with your boyfriend, I can handle running this place with the others. We won't get much business tonight anyway," the man remarked in his heavy accent, unsubtle relieved when Zephyr succeeded in not injuring himself. "Probably won't get much business this weekend either. People aren't gonna venture down this way after the attack, so-- hey, just go enjoy yourselves. Keep safe though, y'hear? Don't know what that madman is gonna do next so don't stay out too late-- god, I sound like my father. Ignore me, just go have fun."

"No, it's fine-- it's сладка, hm? Besides, if we run into trouble, I've no doubt that he can protect us. He's stronger than he looks," grinned Zephyr as he reached for his jacket and ushered his boyfriend out of the small deli, grimacing at the wind that hit them. He could easily control it if he wished, lower its strength to a cool breeze, but he couldn't really do that without his eyes given away that he was using some sort of power, and he couldn't think of an excuse that would explain why his eyes were glowing white. It was best to put up with the harsh wind, however miserable it made him feel.

"...I believe that, you know. That you could protect me if it came down to it. You're tougher than some people think you are, I know that. And just 'cos I have muscles doesn't mean I'm strong, so... I'd trust you more to win a fight than me," he shrugged, happy to downplay his strength. The opposite was true -he was inhumanly strong- but he pretended to be otherwise, just to ensure his abilities were a secret. "You could probably beat Dimitri in an arm wrestle."

“Oh, definitely not,” he countered easily as he carried out the bags. He was notoriously lanky in appearance after all and without his powers, he could easily be beaten up. Of course, no one really expected him to be the type to start a fight anyway nor did he intend to. If it came down to it, he could simply use a blunt object to kill someone with his powers. Waving the other off, he offered his classic bashful smile as he motioned the other to his car.

He could easily afford a brand new one if he wanted but he knew it would be suspicious for some young book store worker to have a brand new Prius. Instead he spotted a beat up buggy, one that he covered in cheesy book themed bumper stickers. She had problems but she also had personality. Sliding in, he let out a tired sigh.

“Obviously we’ll have to take the back roads, the highways are shot,” he explained as the muffler came to life in its usual sputter. “You deserve a break, a nice weekend to relax. I want to treat you, you know? Perhaps we can go get those chocolates you like. Something sweet for such a sweetheart like you?” He suggested with a snort.

"I'm not a sweetheart, don't go around telling people that, Seb. I have a reputation to uphold. Granted, it's a reputation that makes people hate me, but I like that. I don't like people. If they're scared of me or think I'm weird, that suits me down to the ground. It'd be a pain in the ass if they realise I actually have a softer side," he muttered, managing a quiet laugh as he got himself settled into the old car, smiling to himself at how cool he found it all. He hadn't even taken so much as a driving lesson, his parents prioritising their limited funds on fuelling their addictions, so to have a boyfriend who could drive and owned his own car was a huge deal to him, however run-down the vehicle was. In fact, Sebastian himself was ridiculously cool as far as Zephyr was concerned, and he never once failed to communicate just how happy he was dating him.

There was just something about Sebastian that he felt connected with. As the villain, he had been fascinated with him, borderline obsessed in fact, believing just through seeing him on screen that he was destined to be at his side somehow. Technically, Zephyr hadn't been wrong; the two were guaranteed to be together at some point in their lives, just in a very different way to how he had imagined. That didn't mean he would wipe away their history when the truth eventually came out. He had been scarred by the event and could quite easily have died, so forgetting that just because the perpetrator was his boyfriend wasn't going to be easy. Fortunately, for now at least, the younger of the two had no idea that he was sat beside the very person he had vowed to one day kill.

"...God, I love this car, it's just-- it's where we first kissed, right? When we went on that long drive, bought those goofy sunglasses-- don't ever get rid of this car, Seb. I love it too much," he smiled, turning his gaze out the window. "It's not perfect but I like that. It's got character at least. Obviously you can get rid of it if we break up-- not that that's ever happening, but still."

“Ill get rid of it if it breaks down,” he countered easily, his eyes taking in Zephyr with a growing smile. Before driving, he carefully took the other’s chin and offered a soft kiss before properly heading down the road. He was never the romantic type and still wasn’t brilliant at it but he figured that doing what felt right was, well, right. So far so good, he figured, and somehow he had managed to keep Zephyr around despite his less than perfect flirting. He would often tease about it when he got nervous, especially in the bedroom.

“I mean, there’s nothing more romantic than making out in a broken down buggy, huh?” He teased quietly with a chuckle, avoiding the subsequent traffic that followed his terror rather well. He knew the city like the back of his hand, having soared over it for years, so it was no surprise that he knew how to avoid any true traffic. Not to mention he knew the problem areas, since he caused them.

“We can pick up some extra stuff, too. I mean, you’ve got your toothbrush and everything at my apartment, Zephyr. You know how I feel about you moving in,” Sebastian reminded, his eye briefly glancing at the other. “You know I’m not blind. I... just wish you would move in, avoid all the home stuff. You know I enjoy when you stay over.”

Zephyr's rare happiness did have its moments of disappearing, even in the presence of Sebastian, and references to his homelife and the events that took place behind closed doors was a guaranteed way for his happiness to evaporate. He was always defensive when his bruises were brought up and, if it wasn't Sebastian referencing them, he would snap at those who did, making sure that they never made the mistake of asking him about them again. With Sebastian, he couldn't snap or be even a little harsh with him, but, through his body language and frown, he hoped the other would realise the topic was not up for discussion. Yet, the countless times he had had to talk about it meant that, clearly, Sebastian wasn't going to overlook it, however deeply Zephyr wished he would.

"I can't move out when my brother and sister need me to stay with them. They get enough hassle already, I can't imagine what it's like for them when I'm not there. So no, I can't move out, not until they've left home. I'm... not going to do that to them," he murmured slowly as he, as subtly as he could, arranged the collar of his coat to hide the bruises along his collarbone; bruises that clearly indicated that someone's hand had been wrapped tightly around his throat. He could talk about how bad his homelife was but he had never once came out with the truth, despite knowing how obvious it was. Admitting to it wasn't easy so he preferred to avoid the explicit mention of what his parents were like and, as he often did, he changed the topic of conversation to avoid discussing it any further.

"We can stop off at that cute diner to get some strawberry milkshakes before we go to your place. They do the best ones in town-- assuming the place didn't get burned down, anyway. You know, it's a miracle the deli's still standing. Dimitri always says he's worried about waking up and finding the place in ruins. He's spending a fucking fortune on insurance-- and the business isn't going too great anyway. People don't want to risk their lives coming downtown when that's where most businesses are attacked-- I dunno. I guess I'm worried about Dimitri being hurt. I swear, I'll find that guy myself and kill 'im if that place is attacked. I probably won't be able to do much against a guy that can kill superheroes but whatever-- where were you when the attack happened? You weren't near it right? 'Cos that scares me, you getting hurt by that weird superhuman guy."

“I was at home, had the day off. I saw everything happen on the news and I was terrified when I saw everything so I wanted to check up on you, that’s why I came early,” he lied smoothly, his frown genuine not only from Zephyr’s reluctance to move in but in genuine fear if he had somehow hurt the deli. He chose to stay relatively far away from it, at least far enough not to worry about hitting into it, and made a mental note to move further if it meant giving more business to the deli. After a pause, he did let a small smile grow as he entered the parking lot, that of which was nearly empty from fearful citizens leaving early.

“Listen, if that guy ruins your deli then he’ll be ruining the best deli in Chicago and I doubt the man is that stupid,” he reassured, knowing the praise would at least cheer the other up a bit. Once parked, Sebastian took the other’s hand in his and offered it a soft kiss for extra reassurance. He couldn’t just flat out say this villain was intentionally avoiding the deli because he would be found out in a heartbeat but that didn’t mean he couldn’t at least try and relieve something.

“Let’s get what we need and head out. The diner can be a nice treat for how awful today was. I’ve felt horrible about how miserable you sounded in your texts, not to mention you’ve been working so hard. I think you deserve some nice treats,” he whispered softly before unbuckling his seatbelt and popping out of the best-up car.

“I heard my favorite author released a new book, it’s about his trip to the Amazon. You know I have to add it to my collection,” he noted, taking Zephyr’s hand in his quickly. “I’m running out of space at this point. I’ll have to buy some new shelves or something...”

The reassurance was just what he assumed to hear and, despite believing that it was out of Sebastian's hands, he did find himself growing a tad more relaxed. He didn't know that Sebastian had all the power to avoid hurting the deli, or indirectly damaging it, and yet, just by Sebastian's comforting words, Zephyr felt himself relax and almost believe himself that the deli, and Dimitri, would be left alone. Other businesses had been decimated and burned to the ground, businesses that weren't thriving and worth even ransacking, so the fear was always there that the small deli in the hub of the downtown area could be targeted just to prove some sort of cruel point. Just hearing Sebastian's words pushed that fear away, or, at the very least, to the back of his mind.

"My texts sounded moody? You are aware that I'm a moody person, aren't you? My texts aren't going to be full of cheer, Seb. I'm moody, that's sort of my thing," he grunted with a playful roll of his eyes, his fingers automatically entangling with the other's as he shot a loving look down at him. It wasn't just the often silent, brooding personality that tended to unnerve people; when combined with someone as tall as Zephyr had grown to be, most were naturally wary of him. It hadn't stopped him from dating, but it was only with Sebastian that he didn't feel like he was being given attention for his looks alone. Being told that it wasn't love at first sight didn't upset him; it pleased him, if nothing else. It meant that Sebastian had taken the time to get to know him before deciding he loved him, and that meant far more to him than his ex-girlfriend who, for example, had gushed that she loved him the moment she saw him because of how 'cute' he was - that barely meant anything to him at this point.

"You read too much. Reading's boring. I don't get how you can sit for hours pouring over some book, Sebastian-- it's weird to me. I can't focus long enough to do that. I barely like reading magazines," he shrugged as he walked, shoving his other hand into the pocket of his jeans. "...I still think your collection is impressive, though. I can build you a shelf this weekend if you'd like; I'm good at DIY-- and you can paint them, we can make a day of it."

“It keeps my mind on something beneficial,” Sebastian answered simply, choosing to remain a bit mysterious in his answer. He had dark thoughts, thoughts that he knew would scare others. He could spend hours growing angry, the urge to destroy something always being prevalent. If he kept himself busy, he didn’t have time to think those thoughts, hence why reading came into play. Other things did as well, like working or listening to music, not to mention just Zephyr’s company calmed him and those intrusive thoughts down.

As for his love for Zephyr, it was cheesy to admit that there was some strange energy that piqued his interest. The man was handsome, he couldn’t deny it, but the fact that someone as tough and brooding wasn’t full of himself and seemed to suffer from the same problems he did only helped aid in his attraction. He hated loud, obnoxious guys who replaced their personalities with showing themselves off and to him, Zephyr was the total opposite of it. He wanted someone who he could sit quietly with, entangled close and enjoying something calm.

“Listen, I don’t tease you about things you like,” he reminded as he grabbed a cart, humming to the soft pop music that played on the radio. “I think I’ll get some candles, make the dinner romantic and all that. Is that too cheesy?” He questioned, once again out loud as he leaned against the cart.

"No, that sounds cosy; let's do that, as long as the candles aren't scented. Scented candles just make me feel nauseous, especially over dinner," he commented as he quietly took in the aisles of food, picking up something every now and then to absently inspect before placing it back on the shelf. Shopping never failed to bore him, which made the task of actually shopping for his parents and siblings back home all the more irritating. If he didn't head out once a week and use his pay cheque on food, his siblings wouldn't get much to eat - he couldn't rely on his parents to buy food and, if they did, it wouldn't be enough to prepare a family meal. It was often down to Zephyr to provide food for the family, which made the decision not to leave all the more important - he couldn't leave when his siblings were often reliant on him to bring food into the house. When they moved out, he knew he could finally move on with his own life but, until then, he was essentially forced to stay out of his concern and love for them.

There was nothing he wanted more than to move in with Sebastian, seeing him as someone he would be with for years. He had no knowledge of the darker thoughts Sebastian was riddled with, or the atrocities he committed without a sense of remorse. To him, Sebastian was often just...normal. He was happy and relaxed and a charmer who never failed to make him smile. Of course, he had questions that hadn't received answers that confused him, but finding the perfect chance to ask him such things was difficult - but now felt like a good time to at least approach the topics that had, thus far, never been brought up or at least inadequately answered.

"...So, when do I get to meet your parents then? You've met mine that one time and they're assholes, so I'd kinda like to meet yours, Seb. They can't be worse than mine," he smiled, glancing back over to him hopefully. "I'm not going to be a moody jerk to them, I promise. I'm sure I can be on best behaviour around them."

“I... don’t think you should meet him,” he replied warily as he set some coffee filters in, his love of coffee being seen on the verge of an addiction. It gave him the shakes and certainly didn’t help with his sleep but in a way, he liked it. It was harm to his body that was not only unnoticeable but one that many could laugh and say they agree with. Not only that but it made him relatable and relieve the stress of standing out too much, something he feared.

“They’re assholes. To be honest, I haven’t seen them since I moved out and I want to keep it that way,” he admitted, the fact only being a small lie. He would visit his parents once a year, for Christmas, and it was more of a party with his cousins and whatnot rather than a personal celebration. The only other contact he had with them is some money sent to him for his birthday, that of which until meeting Zephyr would often be celebrated alone. “We barely keep in touch and... I like it that way. I dunno - I just... I don’t think you’d want to find out which they are. It would just be stressful,” he then began to babble, his cheeks growing red as he gripped the other’s hand tight.

“I certainly don’t want to tell you in the middle of a Walmart, Zephyr. It’s... god - I’m making this seem a lot more dramatic than it needs to be. I’ll... tell you eventually, I just want it to be in a more relaxed setting I guess?” He continued to stammer quietly, his free hand gripping the card until his knuckles turned white.

He had only really approached the topic once in the past and, because he failed to remember the reaction, he naively believed that bringing it up wouldn't be an issue. When he saw how poorly the other reacted, he felt a twinge of guilt fester and grow at being the cause of that. He hated his own parents being brought up, so knowing he might be feeling all those emotions Zephyr himself felt wasn't a great feeling to recognise.

"...Look, parents are... complicated. I don't have to meet them, Sebastian. I'm fine just being with you, it's not that major. I'd hate for you to spend time with my parents, so I shouldn't expect to spend time with yours, it's really... it's fine," he promised as he quickly grabbed his hand, trying his best to ease the evident tension the other was suddenly full of. He didn't want their time together ruined by tension or guilt, especially knowing he was at fault for causing it.

"Hey, let's get those candles, yeah? And some vegetables for the soup; can't have a soup without some potatoes. At least not in my family, it's like a crime," he grinned, gently placing a kiss on his boyfriend's knuckles to hopefully ease him from the tension. If it didn't work, he wasn't going to draw any more attention to it, hoping that time would relax him instead. "And some bread. I'll have to make you bread one day, there's a recipe from my great-grandmother that I've been testing out. You'll love it."

Offering a thankful smile in return, he lessened his grip on the cart and while he was still tense, he could at least get distracted by the other. He had plenty of dark thoughts but the mention of his parents filled him with a strange combination of fear and pure anger. He had gone over countless situations where he could end his parents’ lives but, much like Zephyr, there was a twinge of guilt and that pressing fear of what would happen if he really did go against the two. They were his family, even though he didn’t really feel familial with them, and that fact made him more than a little uncomfortable.

“There’s nothing better than warm bread,” Sebastian agreed quietly, his eyes scanning the aisle before loading the cart up with an admittedly large amount of the candles, some of which were scented for when the other wasn’t at the apartment. There was something idealistic of sitting on the couch with his speaker playing jazz, the candles lit as he made out with Zephyr - just the thought made him blush.

“I think these will be really cute,” he admitted, his small smile only highlighting his blush as he took in the heart shaped candle as he set the thing in the cart. “I want to make my place cozy, yeah?”

"Your place is already pretty cosy to me, compared to my house anyway. I promise, I'll move in one day. I know it upsets you but-- just be patient. I'll move in and then you'll realise how awful I am to live with, and you'll regret even inviting me, I guarantee it. I'm pretty lazy around the house and I take ridiculously long baths and I take up all the room in bed because I'm pretty big, so... you'll regret it," he laughed, trying his best to at least move the conversation on and keep it focused on something that wasn't to do with Sebastian's parents.

Admittedly, however, he couldn't stop his mind fixating on it when quiet fell between them again. Silences between the two were never awkward or uncomfortable as far as Zephyr was concerned. In fact, he believed that it was just more evidence that they were right for one another if they could happily sit together for an hour cuddled on a couch, no word exchanged but both equally as content as the other. It was during one period of that prolonged silence that Zephyr found his thoughts immediately occupied by Seb's parents, imagining both menial things like what they looked like and how they were as people, to the more confusing and mind-blogging concepts - such as what they were.

Sebastian had drawn attention to that strange phrase, promising that he would tell Zephyr what his parents were soon. It could mean anything, but Zephyr, the longer he pondered the use of the words, found himself growing more confused by them. He didn't want to think too deeply about it, not if the other would one day explain everything, but he was always naturally curious, a trait that hadn't left him since he was a child. It was difficult not to over-analyse something he inherently found weird.

"...Warm bread's the best; with melted butter, a little French cheese. Nothing better than that and a good glass of strawberry milkshake-- or red wine if I'm feeling a little fancy. My mother's never pleased when I take her alcohol but I get curious, you know? I can't really go and buy it myself yet."

“I’ve got some in wash room,” he reassured as he read a label absently, scanning the cure deacription of one candle. “I was looking at a recipe book and it called for red wine so I bought some, and then I wanted to try some rose and white too. You know I’m not a big drinker but I’d be willing to drink with you...?” He offered, placing his things in the cart before moving along, checking off the list in his head.

He realized that perhaps getting the other drunk was a good idea if he intended to deliver the news of his family. He was desperate to keep it a secret and despite being the son of two of the most important superheroes in Chicago history, he managed that goal so far. It was a secret he was willing to tell Zephyr at the very least, he realized. He saw the man as his soulmate and hopefully one day, his husband so he wanted to at least admit something.

“We could recreate, like, a fancy night in Paris,” he continued with a laugh. “I could bring some chairs to mg balcony and I could light some candles, enjoy some soup. We won’t have the Eiffel Tower but that’s okay, right?”

"I'd like a glass of wine at least, it'd be mature. More mature than having the soup paired with milkshake, you know? A good glass of chilled wine sounds ideal, Seb. You're surprisingly romantic, you know. Bringing me flowers, planning an intimate evening meal. You make me feel bad, I'm horrible at this romance stuff, aren't I? You-- You do know I'd buy you flowers and gifts if I had the money, don't you? I... I now gifts aren't everything but you're always bringing me stuff. Makes me feel shit that I can't, you know, do stuff like that for you in return," he smiled awkwardly, turning his head away to feign examining the nearby shelf of candles to avoid the blush on his tanned cheeks being seen. The suggestion he made to cook for him was the only way he knew to be somewhat romantic - and even then he felt bad that all the ingredients had been bought by Sebastian.

He could, of course, venture down the path of villainy. He could use his powers for malevolent means and rob a bank, thus providing for his siblings and also enabling him to spoil Seb as much as his boyfriend spoiled him. However, that never occurred to him as something he wanted to do. He didn't want to hurt anyone or cause damage to property, at least not until the villain he had hated most his life was taken care of. If he killed him and still felt that anger, then sure, using his powers for his own benefit was worthwhile. However, it was equally as likely that he murdered the villain and felt at peace with himself, which villainy would hardly compliment.

"...The deli doesn't pay me enough. Everything I earn goes on food and shit back home, so-- hey, one day I'll be the boss of that place, Dimitri said so, so then I'll be able to spoil you a little more."

“Listen, it’s really okay, Zeph,” the man urged quietly, going as far as to carefully turn him around and offer a smile, taking Zephyr’s chin in his hand. “Just your company is enough. Besides, I like spoiling you. You work so hard for your family and I want to at least reward you for how well you do. Like I said, just being beside me is worth it to me,” he replied softly before leaning up a tad to offer a gentle kiss.

“If you want to make it up to me, I won’t stop you. I mean, making us dinner and maybe having some bedroom time afterwards...? A nice bath together, maybe? Oh! If that’s the case, let’s get bathbombs,” he decided firmly before pushing the cart along with one hand and holding Zephyr’s hand in the other.

“Or maybe you could treat me all weekend? It would be funny to do chores about my apartment,” he teased as he pushed on, watching as customers began rocking return now that hours had passed. “I’ll come up with something, don’t yoh worry.”