Kazeyama: Shiawase Twilight 7

Yuki had chosen today to not walk up with the others in a normal fashion. Doing so my have actually been a contributing factor as to why Kotaro had supress a shudder. At first the others would not even be able to see him right away. Instead he moved as a chilly wind which initially followed Kaelyn for the last few yards of his journey. Then ever so briefly he had been the breeze to blow through Ame's hair. Upon deciding to reveal himself the air just behind Kaelyn started to crystalize until it appeared some type of frozen statue had suddenly scuplted itself behind him. From that snowy sculpture the finer details suddenly took upon the details of flesh and blood to resemble the Yuki Arikado they had all come to know over the past few days. As a result, when Yuki materialized it was a rather beautiful though obviously supernatural process.

A purposely surprising but friendly pat came to Kaelyn's back.

"Morning!"

Even now the other classmates had hesitated to ask just exactly what Yuki was at his icy core. Perhaps they were afraid of the answer. No one likely wanted to be the classmate o a demon. Not after what the first day of school's lovely little incident. Let alone being the roommate of such an unholy creature. Unluckily Ame had actualy been assigned as Arikado's roommate by the faculty for the ulterior motive of keeping an eye on him. In reality Murasaki was one of the few whose abilities could easily keep up with his icy powers.

Walking to a different place among the group now, Arikado took his place a few feet to Ame's left. Their first night sharing a room had been rather chilly since he could not completely inhibit his chilling aura while unconscious. Giving the cold shoulder was not the way he dealt with the younger girl since around yesterday for some reason. Perhaps it had been mere whimsy, but the night before he had made them each snow cones in their room for dessert. Just how much that might have warmed her up to him remained to be seen however. . .

Unlike how easy it was to catch Yuki giving Asahina-Sensei occasional lustful glances that while subtle in one sense were not shy at all. In fact it was almost as if he wanted her to catch him doing it. Was he really attracted to an older woman? Or was it just another mode of mischief?

It was not too much longer until a small crowd had seemingly sprouted up around where Kenta and Yukisa were standing. Not trying to seem unfriendly, Yukisa stepped out from behind Kenta. No one else knew what she could do, she reassured herself, and so they were no likely to be uncomfortable with her when it came to her presence. As far as they knew, after all, she had no power. This actually made her feel better about the whole affair.

Smiling to all of the new people, trembling a little at the knees still, Yukisa tried to greet them in a warm fashion. The icy one seemed to have his eyes trained on Asahina-sensei and she figured that he likely would not pay attention, even if she greeted him. Turning to the others, she waved and grinned.

"Hello, everyone."

Yukisa had only managed to get so far as to be standing next to Kenta now, instead of behind him. It was a big step for her, but she felt far more confident and normal when they were under the assumption that she didn't have any powers.

Mishiranu? Was she calling him 'unknown' or 'strange'? Kaelyn really hoped it was the first meaning; he didn't need people thinking he was some kind of weirdo, at least not here of all places!

While the other students arrived and began to talk amongst themselves, Kaelyn took to gazing up at the old school building with a bit of a smile, his glasses glinting in the morning sunlight, his unbuttoned jacket flapping in the slight breeze. The place certainly looked the part of abandoned and he couldn't help but wonder if there were any ghosts lurking about. How cool would it be to see a spirit? he thought with a little more of a smile on his face, and suddenly he felt eager to explore the run-down building's every little crook and cranny. Well, just as long as he didn't come across any big spiders.

It was right about then that he noticed a change in the air. It seemed to be drawing steadily colder, specifically behind him. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, though he remained looking up at the building, wondering just what was manifesting itself so close to him. A ghost? Another creature? Or a student? Kaelyn had been here at Kazeyama long enough to know that the sky was the limit when it came to the intensity and creativity of a student's power.

Nonetheless, the jolting pat to his back was enough to make him squeak and stumble forward a step or two, since he wasn't really expecting physical contact. "Ah... Morning," he sighed, his face rather red by this point as he shook ice loose from the back of his uniform's jacket. Only then did he chance a look up at the person that had greeted him and he felt his face grow just a bit hotter, his gaze quickly diverting back to the building with a pivot on his heel.

Uwah... He's so handsome, Kaelyn thought while his face burned with embarrassment, his eyes in turn attempting to burn holes in the side of the old schoolhouse. Why are all the boys so good-looking this year?! He felt incredibly out of place, like he couldn't even begin to fit in with them even though he lacked his 'shaggy' look from the previous year.

Wrapping his arms around himself as if he were cold, he continued to stand aside from the others and wait impatiently for the task to start so that he'd have something else to concentrate on rather then the current worries on his mind. He wished he could put his headphones back on and calm himself to some music but then he might miss something important being said about the reason they had all gathered here.

When a sufficient group of students had gathered, Asahina-Sensei broke her silence, cutting off any hellos the other students might have had been sharing. "Thank all of you for gathering. I know this is not a standard class so all of you will be earning extra-circular credit for this. Ikawa-Sensei has gathered all of you hear for a very specific purpose. The school you see here was once the main branch of Kazeyama from the late Edo era, being slowly modified until the end of the Meiji Restoration period before the school you use now began construction. As you may have guessed from your first day of the year, some students were not fortunate enough to...last throughout the year and some of them have not let go of their attachment to this world. The spirits of those that were lost still reside in this place, waiting for revenge, or closure, anything really and the students of Kazeyama, with their ties to the paranormal, frequently encounter the spirits residing here, for good and for bad. Unfortunately, Ikawa-Sensei has learned of a powerful artifact that was in the possession of the founding principal in this school just recently and now he needs it recovered for safe keeping.

All we know about this artifact is that it is in the form of a talisman and that it is somewhere inside that building. The full extent of its powers have not been discovered, however we do know it has something to do with the spirit realm. As you may have guessed we have asked for your assistance to retrieve this talisman. Those of you that have come here today were the only ones capable of seeing it due to each of your talents. The bulletins were crafted by a University Student with that express purpose in mind, and here you all are. I will not be leading you in, and you are allowed to break into as many teams as you see fit, however I would suggest that three teams of two might be best to cover the entirety of this school, though it appears small you might find it a bit more daunting on the inside. I will retire back to my office as I am needed however, I believe Aoi-Sensei as well as a couple of other teachers will take shifts waiting here for all of you to return, hopefully safely. So please, make your plans and make haste to find this talisman."
Asahina-Sensei explained, though her voice was monotone Kenta found it rather pleasant to hear her speaking at such length, which was odd since he had spent the past few days getting check-ups with her after that demon attack. He watched as she retreated a little ways away and pulled out a strange clear notepad-looking device that he'd seen her with the past couple of visits.

"So, we should probably do as she said yeah? Three teams of two? I don't mind going off with anyone so...I guess you guys can pick or we could draw straws or something?" Kenta offered with a shrug, casting his gaze across the second floor row of windows only to see one of the curtains shift like someone had just been standing there looking out and stepped back and let the curtain fall across the window again. A shiver went up his spine and he gulped, "But, if I had to, um, pick, I wouldn't mind someone who is used to, well, this sort of situation..." He tried hiding the small amount of fear in his voice but he was sure it was failing. At least they knew what was going on...maybe he'd be lucky and wouldn't see any spirits, or maybe his luck would go the way it always seemed to go and he would get trapped alone and with a bunch of menacing ghosts...he felt another shiver go down his spine as he looked at the others, waiting for a decision.

Ame was momentarily distracted by her thoughts of ghosts and monsters when she noticed Arikado not far to the side of her. She didn't have to look directly at him to know he was there, seeing as there was a chilly aura wherever he was. She hadn't thought too much on that though, everyone at Kazeyama had certain abilities and she just figured his was ice, it never crossed her mind that he may not even be human. What she did believe at first (much to the cause of her troubles with having such a roommate) was that Arikado was one of those over-confident, arrogant pretty boys who thought they could get away with anything. So far, she wasn't sure if she was right about that or not, but he did seem like a nice person. ...The snowcone sure was good. So she gave him a small, nervous bow as a greeting.

Once Asahina-sensei showed up, her explanation of their purpose there made Ame tense visibly. Sensei so calmly told them there were spirits in there, some even seeking revenge... and they were supposed to go in there and search the whole place for a talisman? What if a ghost came after her or another student? As far as she knew, her powers wouldn't work on something that doesn't even have a physical form. This really seemed like something the more skilled teachers should be doing.

When Sensei took her leave Ame neared the main group to listen to the boy now speaking. If she remembered right, his name was Suzuki Kenta. He tried to hide it, but he seemed kind of scared too. She was a little comforted knowing she wasn't the only one. As for the issue of picking teammates, she would let the others figure out how they'd decide on that, since she wasn't quite confident enough to make suggestions.

Responding quickly to his roommate's nervous bow came a purposely over-dramatic bow of his own. His white trenchcoat, still being worn over the standard uniform, flowed with the delicacy of a snowflake. Although it was still a smooth, seamless movement. . . the bow resembled a kind seen on the stage of live western theatre. Yuki did not lower his head at all though so she could still see the expression on his face. Kinder than usual, a soft smile accompanied it as well, causing his eyes to close ever so slightly in an almost endearing way.

Perhaps it was all just to get a rise out of Ame.

Asahina-Sensei's lecture went mostly unheeded if one judged Arikado by his outward actions. Standing straight with both arms folded across his chest, his lustful gaze had finally broken away from the older woman as his icy eyes closed. But that did not stop him from having the bold courage to send a slight shiver along her elegant spine. Once she had finished describing the task ahead of them a chilling smirk of mischief came Yuki's lips before vanishing as though blown away by the winds. Icy eyes that started out staring at Kenta slowly moved to look at the others in the group as he spoke.

"We could draw straws. . . or even leave it to a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Does anyone actually have some straws on them? If not I'm pretty sure we all have at least one hand. Or we could be terribly brutish and leave it to thumb wars."

A chuckle rose in his throat but never escaped his lips.

Kotaro looked up at the empty, lightless windows of the old school building once again, this time feeling even more disturbed by its haunting presence. So they were there to deal with restless spirits. He could hardly say this was outside the realm of his experience, but still he couldn't help but feel out of his depth. The spirits of Sendai had been tended to by his ancestors over centuries, and because of that they were mostly peaceful now. If not, he wouldn't have been able to serve as their medium, as young and relatively inaffective he was when it came to getting them to follow his commands. The spirits at this school, however, were entirely different. The trauma they had suffered was still fairly recent, and they no doubt would be unwilling to listen to the requests of mortals. That meant he would have to rely heavily on the spirits already under his command to defend himself while in the building. Without their help, he would be completely exposed an unable to protect himself.

Even though he did not have the box with him, he could still call his spirits to his side if need be. He had left the box back in his dormroom where he felt it would be safe for the time being and also where it would be close enough for him to call on its power. Now that he was here and had been informed of the nature of their mission, however, Kotaro was beginning to think this task might be beyond his skill. Hopefully the others had their own ways of fighting back against vengeful spirits, and with any luck they would all make it through the process in one piece. Still, Kotaro couldn't seem to shake the sneaking suspicion they were in over their heads.

As the other students discussed how they would carry out Asahina-sensei's orders, Kotaro hung back and decided he would let them work it out among themselves, then go along with their plan of action without objection so long as it seemed feasible to him. He noticed one other student besides himself, a girl with long black hair and greyish eyes, who was also minding her own business for the time being. Kotaro beleived her name was Ame, but he still wasn't very familiar with his classmates, so he couldn't be sure. Although she didn't seem terribly approachable at that moment (if anything she appeared to be even more unnerved than Kotaro), Kotaro sidled up next to her and stood there as the other students talked.

"So... You feeling a little uncertain about this "mission", too?" he asked her, glancing sideways with a doubtful look on his face as he awaited her answer, provided she wasn't too shy to talk to him.

Teams of two?!

Kaelyn cringed. That meant there would be just him and one other person, which also meant he'd receive more attention that he was really ready for. Just the thought of forcing conversation made him shake with fear! But his mother... He'd never hear the end of her complaining if he didn't at least try.

Sighing softly, for fear someone would hear it, he forced his feet to move toward the group. As he got closer, he heard methods of choosing being suggested and he supposed he didn't really have a problem with it at all. Still, he had to try and make friends right? Maybe if he made himself sound useful? "E-excuse me," he muttered shyly, not quite ready to take his gaze off of the ground just yet. "My powers aren't really helpful but... I-I'm not afraid of ghosts. I think they're... They're kinda cool. So I..."

Just what exactly was he getting at? Kaelyn wasn't even sure because talking to others made him so nervous he often went stupid. "I guess I wouldn't run away and leave any of you behind?"

Yeah.

Because that right there made him the epitome of cool.

His face flushed though he chanced a glance up at the group anyway.

Listening intently to Asahina-sensei, Yukisa was an entirely rapt audience to her words. There was something about Asahina that Yukisa admired, though she'd no idea what it was exactly, she couldn't put her finger on it. She knew that she would not be a coveted partner, since she did not have abilities like the other students, and when Asahina-sensei told them that they ought to split themselves up, she felt a cool dread in her stomach. Already, the students seemed to be edging toward partners and Yukisa glanced around, slightly nervous.

Even her roommate Kenta was indicating that perhaps he would like to be partnered with one of the students more experienced in spiritual affairs. Yukisa backed away a little bit, her face turning pink. She didn't want to be forced upon someone as a partner. If it came down to it, she thought, she would let them pair up in a group of three and she would go through on her own. At least, she thought, she had skills with the many of the sports from watching them and helping out. Countless times, she'd seen the forms for archery and she'd watched the kendo techniques, so she felt as though she could at least be self-sufficient against the enemies who were tangible. Against the intangible ones... well, if she couldn't hit them, what was the worst that they could do to her?

From the corners of her eyes, relying on her peripheral vision mainly, she eyed all of the students present. Though she'd seen most of them on the first day, Yukisa still didn't know many of them. Trying not to seem clingy and perhaps accidentally guilt Kenta into partnering with her, Yukisa edged away from him.

Ame wasn't sure how to respond to the odd western style bow Arikado had done, it was almost funny enough to bring a smile to her face. Maybe she really had the guy gauged all wrong, she couldn't tell at this point though. Maybe she'd get a better idea after spending the year as his roommate, assuming she survived the day.

A voice she'd heard before spoke then and she looked, only to nervously lower her eyes again after seeing Kotaro. Was it that obvious that she was terrified? It was embarrassing to admit, but there was no point trying to hide it now. "...Yeah. My... powers probably won't even work on spirits," she admitted, but she hated sounding like someone who was already giving up. "Ah, but, I'll try my best," she muttered, hiding pinkened cheeks behind her hair.

She listened then as another one out the group spoke up. He was also worried about the usefulness of his powers, but at least he wasn't afraid of ghosts, unlike her. And though he seemed nervous while speaking, he certainly motivated Ame.

Kenta stood to the sidelines and watched as the other discussed the possibilities and powers and whatnot. Yukisa's retreat from his side concerned him but when Kaelyn stated that he wasn't afraid, in fact more interested in the possibilities of spirits. "Um, I would like to go with Nakano-San..." Kenta spoke up, and then, moving to take charge he decided to make the teams himself. "Why don't each of us work this way, Hayau-San why don't you and Arikado-San go together, and Murasaki-San can go with Hisui-San so that way the more offensive powers can be paired with the defensive ones. And since we have our teams I think we should go inside, I wouldn't want to be in there once things got dark out. Kenta nodded, walking over to stand next to Kaelyn and watching for the others to form up into their teams so they could get underway.

Suddenly he realized just how much he was worrying. It really wasn't like him to stress so much over something and if he kept it up, he'd most likely give himself an ulcer or worse! Digging into his jacket pocket, Kaelyn wrapped his fingers around his iPod and took a deep breath through his nose to calm himself down and settle back into his shell so that when he heard the boy whom he remembered as "Kenta" pretty much claim him, only the edges of his ears grew hot.

Much better.

Kaelyn was sure to nod in reply and he even forced himself to look up again at the group. He knew all of them; their names, voices, and faces had taken little time to memorize over the first week of classes. The only thing he didn't know about their appearance was their eye color because of course he could never get himself to look anyone in the face if it wasn't his parents. For a few seconds he listened to Kenta's plan, glancing from face to face to see their reactions, and when the blonde boy wandered over to his side, he quickly looked away and dipped his head a little to show the proper respect.

But being this close to such a handsome, popular student made Kaelyn just a bit nervous. Turning to face the old school building and apparent popular haunt, the shy young siren hit the play button on his iPod and dialed the volume up enough that he could hear all of the words to 'Ryuusei' and still leave his headphones to hang around his neck. "I'm going now," he said over his shoulder and stalked off for the entrance.

[ALIGN=right]
NaokiSweetSugarIconSmall.png
[/ALIGN]
Naoki had been busy the last few days after he'd missed like three of the first ones! Well, these sort of things happened didn't they? He listened to the whole lecture as Asahina-sensei explained the point of this 'exercise'. He tilted his head and watched them sort themselves into teams, or try. None of them had ever worked in team apparently, which meant no sporty types. Well except that sword-carrying boy. Kendo certainly wasn't a team sport though! He knew the names of his classmates and certainly harbored no ill will towards them but they were probably not at all prepared for this. He shot a glance at the teacher. He wasn't prepared either. Ghosts? The dead never boded well.
Ah well! Time to make an entrance!

Naoki hopped down from the tree he'd been crouching in and gave the group a bright and friendly smile and wave. "Hey! I'm Mori, Naoki~ I'm your classmate and it's a pleasure to meet you all!" He exclaimed in a boyish fashion and gave them a bow before quickly righting himself. He was of average height with bright green hair, glasses, and goggles. He wore the school uniform though it was a little sloppy. "So we're going in there?" He shielded his eyes and gave a whistle at the sight of the school house. "Looks old! A lot like the one I had back at my old school, but I bet the lay-out is all different, individual contractors and all that! Western style though!" His families 'official' work was house building and restoration work, specializing in traditional Japanese homes.

"I'll just tag along with you all if you don't mind? It's my first official day you see.. I got sick." he gave a shrug and turned grinned at them. "All better now though! So! Let's go see this place huh? We're looking for a sort of an artifact? Do we know what it looks like?" He tilted his head. "Whatever though, we'll figure it out as we go?" He gave a salacious wink behind hid glasses before taking them off and putting the goggles he had on his head over his eyes.

There was a placidity in Yukisa's expression when Kenta started talking, something about his taking charge was slightly soothing to her. Her eyes opened a little in shock though as he paired her with the boy who was constantly hitting on Asahina-sensei. Whipping her head around, Yukisa turned to him. Before she could respond in any manner, however, things seemed to bumble along on their own. One of the boys, moody he seemed really, put in his music and headed away before anyone else even had a chance to say anything.

Suddenly, as though from nowhere, and Yukisa chided herself on not noticing him before, there came a boy in goggles with wild green hair. He seemed chipper, as it were, and intent on tagging along. His introduction was even bubbly and upbeat but Yukisa tilted her head a little in examining him. She did not recognize him at all and wondered where he had been for her to have not seen him so far. A little frustrated, she dismissed this and turned once more to the guy that she had been partnered with for this adventure.

"We've met already" Yukisa said, her voice low but tone firm. She was really working on the confidence and was quite pleased that no one knew what she did. She tried to use her talent as little as possible and to aid in this attempt, she was wearing soft gloves to prevent her from touching anyone else. She smiled a little, or tried though it was just a small curve to her lips.

"We should be going now - I don't really know what you're capable of, but I would prefer to not run into something difficult or otherworldly even if you're quite strong." There was a task at hand to do and Asahina-sensei had entrusted them to do it. Yukisa would not let her down, not after she'd been much like a mother to Yukisa when she had come to Kazeyama in her younger years.

When Kenta took charge, Yuki decided that the results were just as good as a thumb war tournament might have turned out. Everything was up to random chance. Just as long as he ended up paired with someone who wasn't a total stick in the mud. People like that got in the way of his mischief. . . or ended up a target of it.

Oh wait that's right. . . Yukisa is the ever dutiful teacher's pet. Well this should be interesting I guess. Perhaps I'll get her to chill out a bit and not be so timid.

An intrigued arch of the eyebrow came while looking over at his destined-to-be companion for this assignment. Energy entered those icy blue eyes as the chilling aura which radiated from his body increased for a few moments before coming back under control. Just in time for someone who had apparently decided to arrive even later than himself to school. Bothe eyebrows raised in response to the green-haired boy out of sheer amusement at the situation.

"Well I ain't of no ghost. This should be a simple assignment as long as no one becomes a hot mess."

Once Hayau already started to try bossing him around, the Demon decided to mock her openly. Yuki strode gracefully over to Yukisa and saluted her with two fingers while wearing a cunning yet coy grin. Right after that, he took the girl by the hand as they approached the school's front doors. Letting go, he then opened the nearest door leading inside of the abandoned site. Rather loudily he shouted to cause an echo to see if any spirits would be roused. Teasing them at the very least anyway.

"I'm sure my abilities will stop anything that tries to harm us cold."

After all she was taking such a firm tone with him as if Yuki were some sort of deviant. Goodness! Everyone knew he just had simple schoolboy crush on Asahina-Sensei. Never in a million years would he act on those feelings. Well actually. . . given the right circumstances that was entirely true. Perhaps he was just biding his time until he could get the sexy staff-member in a more private setting.

As the group gradually made their way inside, they were lead first by Kenta and Kaelyn who were closely followed by Yukisa and Yuki and finally, bringing up the rear, were Ame and Kotaro. Crossing the threshold of the door into the main entrance, Kotaro almost immediately felt a change in the atmosphere. The air seemed thicker in here than outside, and there was a kind of buzzing he could feel in his ears that was nearly audible. Other than that, an eerie silence prevailed inside the old school building, unsettling and absolute. The sunlight from outside barely penetrated the dusty gloom of the windows, lending a dim, twilight-like quality to the interior of the building. The room was empty of any furniture, the floors alarmingly bare besides a tattered and dirty old mat that lay just inside the door, which they were now standing on. All in all, the room seemed completely vacant of any activity, but there was still an inexplicable sense that they were not alone.

Staring down at the large mat, Kotaro had to resist the urge to remove his shoes and place them next to it. It was the customary thing to do, but it had been a considerable amount of time since this building was used by anyone, and besides, his socks would likely get dirty walking on this floor. Instead, standing behind the others, he peered around the room to get an idea of where they should go. Directly in front of them was a set of stairs leading to the second floor. As he looked upwards, the vague presentiment he had felt since entering the schoolhouse increased in intensity, causing a shiver to run down his spine. He decided right then that he wouldn't be going upstairs if he could help it. Then he suddenly realized he was now huddlng closer to the group. His subconscious was obviously trying to tell him something, and in his experience, it was usually best to heed it.

Partly because he felt like he should doing something, but mostly to comfort himself, he summoned a few fireflies to provide some light. Their warm greenish glow helped to comfort him somewhat, but not nearly enough to make him want to explore the schoolhouse alone. Turning to Ame and the others, he decided he would make a suggestion. Although he didn't relish the idea of going deeper into the building, they still had a mission to do.

"So, I guess we should split up into our groups and start exploring. Am I right?"

As the group of students filed inside of the decrepit structure, a lone figure came dashing across the schoolyard, ending up grabbing onto the arm of the one bringing up the rear- a certain boy with teal green hair, as it so happened.

"Wait up!" The new arrival huffed, panting a little as they caught their breath and steadied themselves on Naoki's arm, dark brown eyes turning upward. It was one of the younger students from the class, what looked like a first year girl, with small, delicate features and wavy brown hair peeking out from beneath a knit lavender cap. A bit pale, too, despite the purely Japanese bone structure evident in the face. At present, these features looked more than a little groggy. "I- I overslept. What are we doing?"

Moritani Mafuyu was not used to being late. He also wasn't used to waking up with a full-on cold, but that was exactly what had occurred this morning, forcing him to scramble to catch up with the other students. Maybe he should have been resting in his dorm room instead of running around and exerting himself... but he was going to get this credit if it was the last thing he did. Dragging himself out when he was under the weather was far preferable to having to live with himself after missing out.

[ALIGN=right]
NaokiSweetSugarIconSmall.png
[/ALIGN]
Naoki was about to chase after some of the other students, after all he didn't want to go alone and this way he could bound around as he felt like it. He had taken about a step and a half when there was a girl? A girl, clutching at his arm and asking what was going on. Naoki gave 'her' a smile. "We're going into the old school to find something of spiritual importance." He shrugged lightly and peered ahead through his goggles. "Wanna be my partner? I'm Mori, Naoki. Age sixteen and blood type O!" He rocked back on his heels with another smile. He hoped he made a good impression, Kazeyama wasn't much like the outside world and what worked there might not work here.

He shot a glance to the rest of the students, watching them enter into the building and looked down to his little hanger on. "You sound a little rough, are you alright?" He was a little worried about 'her' but he really wanted to see what was in the old school, he didn't want to miss something exciting. Though cute girls definitely were exciting.

Already at the base of the stairs, Kaelyn frowned Yuki's way when the boy yelled. Obviously he was trying to tease Yukisa, which was just a little mean considering how electric the atmosphere of the building was. He himself had turned off his music the moment he'd entered the place, listening closely for any sounds that might give away something hiding nearby. Though he'd heard nothing, the hairs on his arms were on end and as he studied them, they would sway from an upward angle down to point toward the stairs.

Something dangerous lurked up there.

Kotaro spoke then, drawing back everyone's attention for a moment. And the boy was right, because the longer they remained in this haunted place, the more of a chance someone would end up badly hurt. With a nod of his head, Kaelyn turned back to the stairs, a chilling wave washed over him and he clenched his teeth to keep from shivering visibly. Nevertheless, he put a foot on the bottom step and pushed upward. One foot after the other, he began to climb the stairs to the second floor. As he rose higher, he felt the air around him attempting to suffocate the life from his body but he pressed on. Wasn't it always the case that where ever the toughest, most dangerous of foe, the sought item would be nearby?

When he reached the top, he paused, gazing into the dark, dusty second floor. There were many shadows, which of course no one would enjoy in this situation, and he tuned his senses toward the house. "So which room do we try first?" he muttered toward his partner, pushing up his glasses on his nose.

When they entered the abandoned area, the first thing that Yuki was shout, which caused Yukisa to blanch before turning stunningly pink. He was being cruel on purpose and she hadn't the foggiest idea why. Though his attempts seemed to be to wake the spirits and draw them in toward them, he seemed to have failed and they were left with a dusty, gloomy entryway. Yukisa frowned to him.

"I told you that I didn't doubt you, there's no reason to wake any spirits unnecessarily. If you'd have been listening, we're paired with one offensive and one defensive. Clearly I'm not the one with the ability to protect myself from spirits." Yukisa felt like she was being made fun of, since she was rather helpless in the face of something attacking them. She would have to rely on the silly boy to protect her.

Looking around the area, Yukisa took a deep breath and then returned her attention to Yuki. Her tone was less aggravated and a little bit on the apologetic side for her little outburst. Not that he really deserved it, she thought sourly. "Which way would you like to go, Yuki-san?" The air felt almost solid with the atmosphere of lurking danger and she didn't want to alienate the member of her team capable of fighting.