Katrinka's Dating Service

Katrinka did what she did best. Supervise! The evening was still very young, and not all of the reservations had shown up for the party yet. Fashionably late is what they liked to do. As expected, Linda was making things hard for herself. Katrinka wanted to meddle again, but people did have to make some steps themselves.

Pleased as could be about the turn out of things, Katrinka snuck her way over to the buffet table. The catering was exquisite. A plate in hand, she helped herself to more than just a few of the delectable tidbits. As she watched the mingling crowd, Katrinka chewed on a cheesy breadstick. Many people were a little bit shy, but that's why these sort of events worked out. The more aggressive guests always zeroed in on the quiet ones, and the rest was history!

Now entertained with her thoughts of romantic espionage, Katrinka kept silent watch over her guests with quite the amused grin.

Leonardo turned to look at the girl who had just spoken to him at the bar, the first one to actually talk to him tonight at all. The first thing about her which caught his attention was actually the color of her hair since it was a soft yet unique shade. It wouldn't bother him if that were her natural color or not, it looked really good on her and suited what looked like smooth skin. A soft but possibly charming smile came to his lips as his green eyes gazed into hers with an aware but relaxed emotion. Probably came from being dead sober or a pleased reaction to her voice. . . something about how it sounded resounded with his more 'instinctual' side. Being sober didn't mean there wasn't some romantic fire deep sown inside.

"I'd bet it is. But unfortunately for me the law's keeping me from that half of the fun for now."

As he spoke the smile on his lips turned into one that somehow gave off the impression of an adventurous side. Meanwhile the bartender placed a glass of water on the bar near him since it was likely the only non-alcoholic thing there. Plus it wouldn't mess with the smell of his breath either. Right now his mind was slightly trying to remember why it felt like he recognized her from somewhere. He did do work for theater. . . maybe she was an actress he had seen at a gig before somewhere. She was definitely beautiful enough for that to be possible.

Leto took a sip from his water.

"Until my birthday anyway."

He glanced down at her drink for a moment before looking back into her eyes.

"So what kind of fun are you having?"

Perhaps it was the Italian in him or just knowing how to say things just the right way, but he tried to make it obvious without appearing to expend any effort to find out what she was drinking. Leonardo was kind of curious what tastes might be reflected in what she was drinking right now. Not to mention it was an excuse to keep talking to Nici.

Sean was starting to develop a serious attraction to April. One that he hoped would lead to them taking it one step further, if not that very night (In Seans Dreams!!) then in the near future. One thing he would not do, under any circumstances, was seem to eager. One thing that always seemed to kill a potential situation was overeagerness. Sean was calm as ever as he listened to April speak. He held a steady and unwavering hold on her eyes, one that would let her know he was very interested. When she finally stopped talking Sean smiled began to answer her question.

"Yes, I have lived here my whole life. I actually live on the beach front. right off of Pacific north street. Its about a ten minute walk to the beach. I grew up here so its really all I know, but I wouldn't trade it for anything" At this time, Sean ran his hand through his hair, letting it spill back over his face. It was a move he had perfected over the years, often times practicing it in the mirror, Very effective on the ladies as he knew they Loved good hair.

At this time Sean noticed that the bar tender wasn't filling there drinks, so he took control of the situation and waved his hand to the man.

"Can we get a couple refills over here." Sean smiled at April before turning back to his order "I'll have a rum and coke, then whatever she had" With this, the bartender refilled their drinks, seeming a little annoyed that Sean had called out to him, but whatever. After all this was Katrinkas Dating service, The drinks must be filled!

April smiled at Sean, she thought he was seriously cute, which would get her in trouble because the more she wanted to impress someone the clumsier she got. Although she was feeling a bit self-aware she couldn't help but melt the more that Sean met her gaze the more she melted. He was a gentleman, sure, but he was so much more then that. She listened to him describe where he lives and she couldn't help but smile. He really loves this city I guess... She giggled, smiling at him as he ran a hand through his hair, it was adorable.

Sean had turned and ordered a couple of refills for April and himself, giving her a smile which made her melt, yet again. "Oh, vodka and cranberry." She smiled and gave a nod to the bartender confirming her order. As soon as the clink of the drink hit her ears April grabbed hers and took a sip before setting it back down. She knew that by the end of this night, proceeding the way things were she would probably be forgetting at least a portion of the night. At least, she thought. Sean's in bed next to me... She chuckled to herself, probably a little bit more then she should have but, that's the alcohol for her. She sat up a little to smooth her skirt and apparently leaned a bit too far because she toppled out of her seat onto the ground.

"Ooof! Oh, I'm such a klutz!" She cried out, laughing at her own goofy mistake, popping up a moment later raising her hands, "WHOOO! I'M GOOD!" She waved to everyone, although to be fair there weren't that many around. She mouthed "I'm sorry" to Sean before she smiled, turning to find the DJ, who seemed to be idling his time playing whatever he wanted. "That will have to change." April nodded to herself as she gave the "one second" finger to Sean and marched over to the booth, stumbling up against it for a moment. "Sorry, um...can you play...OH! This one please?" She pointed to a ledger before running as quickly as she could in her heels to Sean, grabbing his hands and pulling him, turning so her arms were up, her hands holding his and he was pressed against back slightly, bobbing her body a little to the music and as soon as they reached the dance floor the music changed to her song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWJECLN4S00)

"Let's dance!" April smiled, turning back and pulling Sean closer to her and moving her body to the music.

The door slowly swung open, and another joined the crowd tonight. Brandon wasn't sure if this was going to a night like he hoped, but he was certain that it would at least make for an interesting evening. He was dressed in black, black pants with thin grey pinstripes, polished black shoes, a black silk shirt with a tie to match his pants. A lot of black, but he'd been told that the color seemed to compliment him. His dark blond hair, and sky blue eyes added all the contrast he needed. "My my... certainly some people here tonight isn't there?" He said to himself with some amusement.

~Might as well get me a small glass of courage before I dive on in, eh?~ He thought to himself as he began towards the bar, taking in all the sights... exits, cover points, and tactical advantages the establishment could offer. ~I need to stop thinking so much... it's a night to just relax, and get back onto the market, Brandon. Lighten up man!~ "Hello there. Can I get a glass of scotch?" He asked the bartender as he rested against the counter after running a hand through his hair in habit.

With a plate (and mouth!) full of potstickers, Katrinka made a mental note on which of her singles were doing great and which ones were flailing like a fish out of water. Sean was doing so much better now with that odd girl, April. There was just something strange about April, but Katrinka tried not to be too judgmental about her clients. Miss Nici Rouge was absolutely beautiful, now speaking with that handsome Italian Leonardo.

Some weren't doing as well. There was mister Drake who hadn't talked to anyone all night. That young man Jake. Several ladies standing around and looking like wide-eyed deer. Looked like her snack time was over!

Washing down her snack with a quick swallow of champagne, Katrinka headed over to the bar first. Drinking was great to ease the nerves, but she never wanted to see people get too drunk too fast. Didn't make a good first impression.

The person she picked on first was...hmm... Brandon. He just got there.

"Why hello! I don't believe we've met in person yet. I'm Katrinka Carrel. You're Brandon Bathis, right? You're the one that likes dogs and kids." With introductions out of the way, Katrinka was tapping her chin with one hand and tilting her plate of potstickers with the other. She was looking for a match.

"Ah! You see over there! The blond hair and pretty eyes, looking around really confused like. Why don't you introduce yourself to her?"

Brandon was taken by surprise when Katrinka appeared seemingly out of now where. "Ah, yes ma'am. I'm Brandon. It's certainly a pleasure to see you again." He responded even after hearing that she didn't recall him. It had been awfully crowded in the grocery store a few weeks ago. Taking a slight sip of his drink, he began lightly swirling it around the glass, and listened silently as Katrinka went to work doing her thing. "The lady over there? Well she certainly does look lost doesn't she? I must admit that it's something she and I may both have in common." Brandon responded with a small bright laugh.

"I think I will do just that, Miss Carrel. Thank you, and perhaps later you can show me to where you managed to scrounge up those potstickers." Brandon lightly nodded his head to Katrinka before he politely took his leave, and began walking towards the woman she'd scouted for him. ~Now what exactly do I say? More importantly... what do I do?~ He mulled over and over in his head as each step brought him closer to the lady. ~Moment of truth...~ "Hello there Ma'am. You look as lost here as I feel, ha. Can I get you a drink?"

Drake watched the crowd, the one who had been sitting by the steps was a possible, if that guy left her alone it would be easy to slide in, the girl by the bar with the brownskin was also a maybe, is she got another of those drinks. But his eyes were drawn to the one doing exactly what he was, observing. Even if we could discount her immediately there was advantage in knowing the field. As he was leaving the corner table another maybe joined the party, but one look a him and Drake was sure he wasn't this one's type.

His walk was easy, only slightly slouched as he walked up to Katrinka, 'Hi, yeah I came....' no wrong choice of words, "Good evening Katrinka, nice to see you again" Better even if it sounded pompous and eww.

The confused looking blond was scanning the room. Somewhere in this crowd of people was her target. Old and muddled, that man was really starting to get on her last nerves. Of all the places for him to ditch the nursing home and walk in to.

"Hello there Ma'am. You look as lost here as I feel, ha. Can I get you a drink?"

Looking the guy up and down, she didn't even hide the rolling of her eyes. "Look, old dude, I'm not here to get hit on. I'm looking for my granddad!" She started walking off, but seemed to feel bad for busting his balls. Turning around, she heaved an exasperated sigh.

"It's not you, it's me. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, yaddayadda. Gotta go." Then on her heels she spun and mingling in to the crowd again. Where was that old geezer?! She didn't want to spend all night getting hit on!

Katrinka was watching Brandon deliver his line, up until someone greeted her. With a big smile, she waved a hand at Drake.

"Hi! Mister Drake McCrew, don't you look absolutely handsome." Though her smile was genuine, she was just a little bit worried about this one. He wasn't the normal type to join a dating service, and sometimes she was a little confused by what he was interested in. Still, Katrinka was determined to find a match for all of her clients.

"I'm glad you could make it tonight. There's several young ladies I would like you..to.. meet." Having glanced back at Brandon, it seemed the pretty blond was escaping. Bad move? Ooh.. the look on his face wasn't good. Katrinka eyed the room again. Now she needed to introduce Drake to someone AND find a second lady for Brandon!

"Look, old dude, I'm not here to get hit on. I'm looking for my granddad! It's not you, it's me. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, yaddayadda. Gotta go."

Being taken by surprise on that, Brandon blinked a few times, and then took a sip of his drink. ~Hell that was a bad move... I had no idea she was that young.~ He thought to himself in embarrassment, and lightly scratched the side of his neck. He'd have to thank Katrinka for that one. "Guess the waves are a bit choppy in this ocean." Brandon mused to himself with a soft laugh.

Taking another drink from his glass, he decided he might as well get a refill. It seemed like it would definitely be a long night at this function. Stopping at the bar again, he noticed Katrinka talking to another person, and so he lightly touched his fingers to the his head, and tipped them to Katrinka in amusement. Her aim seemed to be a bit off after her first shot. Though he couldn't fully blame her. She seemed like she had a lot on her mind.

Drake smiled, it was the kind of slime that made most people want to take three steps back and call the cops, but on Drake's face it seemed like a puppy growl, dangerous in intent but cute in presentation. "My friends roped me into coming I've had a string of very short relationships that all ended tragically but I'm glad I came these all seem like everyone here is so.... nice. Though I guess thats why we pay you, to screen out the creeps."

He picked up a drink that the barman had just prepared for him, it has the same kind as Katrinka's. "I though I'd ask your opinion seeing that you already know pretty much everyone here."

Katrinka held up a finger, signaling Brandon to stay right where he was. She'd get him someone good!

For the moment, she smiled back at Drake. His story was a lot like most of the people's here. Relationships that never got anywhere, ended badly, or in some cases... never got started to begin with. It was her pleasure to help bridge those broken hearts together.

"Good, good! Let's see, um." That blond Mister Brandon struck out with was out of the question - actually, who WAS the girl? She wasn't on the guest list! Now she was really going to have to apologize. What Drake needed was someone that wouldn't be afraid to speak up. A good strong personality.

"Actually, there is a nice woman named Linda here. I don't see her though. You'll know her when you see her. She has the most gorgeous long hair and big blue eyes." Her hand reached out to snag Brandon's sleeve and tug him back around, since he was waiting nearby with a fresh drink at the bar.

"As for you... No one ever finds true love with the first girl they see, right? Let me find you someone else."

"Lida" Drake repeated the name speaking into his hand slightly before closing it into a fist and holding it to his chest, it seemed like a hopeful gesture as if to put her name into his heart through it, though anyone watching closely would see in his lopsided smile that grew on the right hand side of his face a small amount of hungry anticipation, perhaps it was longing for a soulmate, perhaps simple lust, or something more animalistic.

"Thank you Ms. Katrinka I'll let you get to your other customers, when Linda comes I'll make an effort to be friendly." He lent against the bar and swirling the drink around in his glass moved the still clenched fist away from his chest opening it over his glass before taking a large gulp. "Linda." he whispered too quiet to be heard looking into the drink.

'Yes, its a good name' he thought licking his lips 'Very good.'

"Not with a girl, but I certainly believe in love at first sight when it involves a woman, Miss Carrel." Brandon answered seemingly philosophically. Taking a sip he paused to give Katrinka another moment with the person she was addressing apart from him. His eyes slowly drifted over the crowd in habit. Taking in the unseen, and storing it for later.

"Actually... if I may be so blunt... I was hoping to come to this function, and meet you actually. You probably don't remember me too well as I'm not completely covered in soda from that case of sprite you dropped on the ground." He smirked a bit, adding light laugh. "Call it fate, but I was surprised to see that you were the one who ran this agency... Fancy the odds of that huh?"

"Case of... oh dear." Her usual brilliant smile was now a sheepish expression. To think, she was so good with faces and she would forget THAT. ...No, she took that back. She was deliberately trying to forget that day. Somedays were just rotten. When half of your shipment is late, no one can find your car keys, and then you go and splatter sticky soda over yourself and at least several employees, you try to forget it.

That temporary worry over what to do with Drake was now entirely focused on the man who cleaned up nicely when he wasn't covered in Spite.

"I think I apologized twenty times for that, we were a little short handed and everything was just going wrong and I'm rambling out more apologies again aren't I?" She blew her bangs out of her face. No sense crying over spilled Sprite.

"It could be considered fate, I guess. Here you are at a very nice party and somewhere here is the girl of your dreams. Here, tell me what you like and I'll introduce you someone." Better done without a plate of snacks, she snatched one less potsticker to nibble on and set her plate on the bar. A quick dusting off her hands and she was ready to get down to match making business.

"Twenty seven times to be exact." Brandon said with a smile."But there is no need to apologize. Accidents as well as life happens. Work can always get hectic."

''Here, tell me what you like and I'll introduce you someone."

"Well... let's see." Brandon lightly ran his hand through his air as he looked up at the ceiling for a moment with his sky blue eyes before returning them to Katrinka. "Well... I'd like to meet a woman who's got a bubbly personality that's infectious, enjoys books, movies, and adventuring through life with a will to take risks, and try new things. Hopefully she'd be conscience about her health since I'm the same way about it, and perhaps... dark brown hair, with hazel eyes... yes. That would certainly catch my eye. And hopefully she'd have a talent for finding the good in people."

Taking a drink, Brandon continued. "I wouldn't mind if she was divorced or had a kid, but if I'm allowed to be choosy... I'd like to find a woman who's had a few relationships, and knows what she's looking for, and what she's avoiding. A proper mature woman in all respects."

Katrinka was putting every single detail to memory and scanning her mental files for other ladies that fit in to those categories. Movies and book loving was most of her clients. Risk taking with an infectious personality, that narrowed things down just a little bit. A brunette with hazel eyes, no kids but some relationship experience, that definitely got specific!

Wait a second...

Her examining look over at her guests was now turned to Brandon. A slight suspicious look. Some of that was near word for word off her really stupid super-secret Katrinka Profile. That horrible thing was buried under piles of paperwork and hidden away somewhere in her computer. The things some women did when they ate too much ice cream late at night. Ah, but there's no way he'd see that. That was paranoia speaking!

"Easy enough. I already several ladies in mind. What do you think about nurses that read pretentious novels?" She leaned close enough so she could make sure the woman was in his line of vision, then pointed at another lady across the room. "She enjoys talking and knows exactly what she's looking for."

"Sounds intriguing... except for the nurse bit... I've actually got a phobia of needles. I'm actually kinda afraid of hospitals. Now before you start laughing, I know it's a silly fear. Besides... where's the fun when someone knows exactly what they want? That takes the adventure out of it a bit, wouldn't you say?"

Brandon leaned close enough to Katrinka in order to follow her gaze, and to where she pointed. "Well she certainly does have an aura about her doesn't she? Though... I'm not so sure it's genuine... have anyone else in mind?" He asked turning to look deep into her eyes. The man's actions hinted at the fact that he certainly had a talent for gauging people.

Chewing on the inside of her lip and trying not grin, Katrinka was having a hard time doing as he wished and not laughing. She was fairly certain his profile said he worked for the CIA. The man being afraid of cute nurses was enough to make her choke back a giggle. Especially a man that could probably break a needle with his bare hands.

Taking a deep breath to retain that serious tone (and hide laughing), that was officially strike two. She really needed to try harder. And he smelled so good too! What woman was going to look at those eyes, smell a nice cologne and not want to take him home? He was actually really charming.

And she was leaning too close. Cough! Katrinka tilted back as she cleared her throat. "All right then, no nurses. Let me think, then. There is bound to be someone here tonight. I promise you won't go home without at least one number."

Brandon was amused by Katrinka, and smiled slightly as he took another drink, and looked around the room. "Can I hold you to that promise? Or how about we make a little bet? I've always love a good little gamble." Brandon asked with a genuine interest. He obviously had something in mind, but what it was certainly wasn't apparent other than it being something rather mysterious.

"That is... if you've got the courage to gamble, Miss Carrel." He finished while setting his glass down on the counter, and leaned against it lightly with his head slightly tilted. His illuminating eyes still focused on hers. He certainly had given her his undivided attention... a very rare trait.