Katrinka's Dating Service

Deborah turned and there was Miss K. She tilted her head at the instructions and looked in the direction her employer was looking at. April. The chick who was giggling and locking lips with the other guy ... Sean, right? She doubted even the jaws of life could separate those two. Or hell, a good dousing with the garden hose. She was seriously tempted to try it, though. It was one thing to hook up at one of these mixers (that was the purpose after all) but this type of er, public affection?! Did these people have no class?!

"I'm on it," she promised, casting one more look of "Oh God" at the kissing couple. She returned to the bar to fetch a cocktail glass and then ducked under the counter, weaved her way through the crowd, to the cappuccino machine and coffee station. There, she fixed an iced coffee, put a little cherry on the top and walked over to April and Sean. Best game face. She bowed and spoke loud enough to be heard over the music.

"Pardon me! Miss Katrinka asked me to bring this special drink just for you, Miss April."

Drake had turned back around to face the bar when a girl came up sent to him, he gave her a glance then turned back to his drink but her words caused him to look again. "Surprised to find someone here not working or looking for a date. Though I guess theres only so many people desperate, or lame enough to need help right? I fall in to the later category." He paused seeming to be looking past the bottom of his drink. "You wouldn't rather want to try some of this rather? Its nice, a little fruity and won't make you drunk. Forgot what it was called though." He slid the glass towards her looking up again.

"Pardon me! Miss Katrinka asked me to bring this special drink just for you, Miss April."

April had an excited grin as she broke the intense kiss, making sure not to pull too far away so Sean wouldn't have to move his hand. The drink that had set before her looked fancy and smelled of coffee. She hadn't had irish coffee in iced form before, at least that's what she assumed it was. She plucked the cherry off the top, Oh yes, I have plans for this... She grinned sheepishly to Sean before taking a large drink from the coffee, which tasted wonderful and sobered her up a bit more then she had intended it to, but that was okay because she wanted to not puke on Sean for their first date. She settled down a bit, letting the sobering effect take over her.

April shot another smile at Sean then raised the cherry to his lips, rubbing the sweet berry along them seductively, tempting him to bite it. Before he'd get the chance she'd pull it back and eat it herself, enjoying the flavor before leaning back forward and continuing the passionate kiss that the two were sharing before, leaning into it and almost on top of him, the rest of the guests would be jealous of Sean to be sure, I am clearly, the like, hottest girl here with like, the hottest guy here. Everyone is totally jealous!

[bg=#417C64][Dash=#87fdce]
[size=+1]Brandon[/size]

Brandon smiled slightly as he saw the situation unfold between April, Drake, Katrinka, and Deborah. He'd forgotten the effect alcohol tended to have on people when they were out at parties, bars, and other mixers like this one. It brought back memories, and fond ones at that. A couple moved towards him, and Brandon politely stepped from their path, and then reached into his pocket for his cellphone which had started buzzing.

Looking at it, he sighed. ~Work as usual... Not tonight. I think I'll call it a personal day. I doubt anything's going to change by tomorrow morning, or even next weak.~ Tucking it back into his pocket, Brandon then took a look at his watch, and noticed that it said four in the afternoon. "Oh hell... didn't even know the battery had died. Guess that shows me how much of a day off this is turning out to be indeed."
[/dash]
[/bg]

Paris peered at the guy with a bored and suspicious expression. The bartender had turned away to fetch her coke and fill some other orders. He wasn't watching to pop out and card her for an I.D. She COULD kill for a decent drink with the way she had to chase her grand-dad down every other week.

She took the glass, smelled then, then took a big drink. The alcohol was strong, but not too much. Definitely fruity.

"Not bad, I guess." she replied, setting the glass down and sliding it back to him. "Hey, have you seen an old man around here talking about something other than picking up chicks? I don't know, like the good old days, or old hotels, or fish sticks? I lost my grandfather around here somewhere."

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]

Whew. A few more drinks sent April's way during perfectly timed intervals and the woman would be okay. Katrinka had intended to return directly to Brandon and continue their conversation. But on the way she had to save one young man from using the worst lines in history and botching his one good chance at getting a phone number. There was reminding one woman not to keep talking about her dead cats... unless she was speaking to the man who enjoyed reminiscing about his dead pets. Katrinka introduced those two the moment she spotted him! She caught a fifteen year old sneaking in with his older brother's I.D. and promptly sent him right back out the door.

The rest... simple meeting setups! She "accidentally" bumped one lady in to a handsome young man. Ask a mister to return someone's hairclip that they "dropped".

Katrinka also made a run by the D.J. and stole that music mix someone gave him. He said it was April. Katrinka hardly found that surprising, but she made sure to remind him to stick with the planned selections. If the request was on one of her CDs he could play it! She couldn't have anything derailing her romance train.

That's when she realized she was lost in work again. Hanging her head in over exaggerated shame, she found Brandon waiting patiently with an infuriatingly amused look across his face.

"...so that might have been a bit longer than a few minutes."

[/dash]
[/bg]

"No....." Drake said before taking a sip from his glass careful to use the same spot on the rim she had. "Everyone here is basically trying to get lucky, and I thought these were meant to be places to meet potential life partners." he gave an exaggerated sigh, "I guess its slightly more amusing and ridiculous than WWE."

He turned in his seat to face Paris. "Its nice to meet someone whos honest about why they're here though. If I see your grandad I'll stop him, ask him about his good old days and give you a call." he smiled at her managing to pull off something closer to warm this time. "That is if you trust me with your name and number."

[size=+1]Brandon[/size]

"Really? I hadn't noticed to be honest. I was rather enjoying you work your magic." He almost laughed, and lightly rubbed his chin with a finger. "It's not that a big deal. I distinctly remember that I'll be getting your complete attention later, at a certain restaurant. I think with that big of a reward I could show a little patience." He answered as he placed his hands in his pockets. "Now then. Should we continue our dance, find a seat, or should I show more patience, and let you get back to making couples tonight?"

His tone was genuine. Brandon had no idea if he was making her work difficult, but there was that feeling in his mind. Having already gotten her attention his night was made, but he found himself addicted to her attention. That was a very rare feeling for the man...
[/dash]
[/bg]

THE NEXT DAY...

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]

It was 2pm. Outside was a cloudy with a slight chill in the air. Nothing unusual for local weather. What WAS unusual was having to speak with three different police officers about a murder. A murder of one of her clients.

Katrinka was sitting at one of the chairs, rubbing her face with her hands and trying to regain at least some sense of normality! The news was shaking. Gary Khaine had been at her mixer last night. It was the last place he had been seen before his body was found at a nearby hotel. The police wanted a list of her clients, the guests that showed up, her employees, questioned HER as if she were a suspect too! A murder investigation might make most people worry about their company's reputation, but she was more afraid her clients could be in danger. What if it wasn't just a one time incident? Maybe she should be looking at her client list in better detail herself...

Taking in a deep breath and letting out a low 'uuuuggh', Katrinka rose to her feet again. If she spent anymore time brooding about it, she wasn't going to get any work done. Last night's mixer was a success, despite the unfortunete event. Several people had left happy. Today she would be answering more call backs, arranging dates, and hosting tonight's Coffee Social. It allowed the people that wanted to meet again to come back and have a more quiet sit and chat experience without all the excitement of a big bar scene. SHe just hoped the police investigation wasn't going to scare people away from wanting to come back!

As she picked up a bottle of juice and dropped a straw in it for a sip, it wasn't just her clients she was hoping wasn't scared off. By a complete fluke, she scored a date herself. It'd be later in the week, but it'd be her luck to miss out cause she was labled a murder suspect and they guy bailed.

"Hey, Deborah! Where are the coffee night table clothes? The ivory ones with silve threads!"

[/dash]
[/bg]

Drake wake up late, at was already noon when his eyes opened ans he stretched and sighed happily sitting up and looking at his hands before getting up and heading for the bathroom discarding his shirt on the way. The night had gone well, maybe there was something to this dating service thing.

Showered and dressed casually he stopped by the kitchen only too grab a packet of crisps and money of the money hidden under the clock on the counter before ignoring his mother's shouted questions about his lateness the night before headed out the door. Something about the girl from the night before intrigued him and she was on his mind as he walked to the corner cloths shop.

"You get out of here I don't want you in here." The aged owner half shouted seeing Drake's decidedly dour attire.

"Relax Mr. Robinson its me, I have money this time." Drake said brushing his air out of his face and smiling before moving off down the rows of evening jackets and picking out a midnight blue v collared buttonless one that looked reasonably respectable and matching trousers and a light blue undershirt before moving off to the changing rooms.

"Clean up well." Mr. Robinson commented as Drake walked out of the changing room. "She must be something."

"Might be the one." Drake said without looking examining himself in the mirror brushing his hair roughly into place and standing up out of his customary slouch.

He took his time getting to the hotel, but was still among the first to arrive the sky took on the evening cast overhead and the dining room was packed with guests and bust waiters. But he was heading for the conference room where the party had taken place the previous day, any this time he was bringing his a-game.

Deborah had a cop's business card in her hand, staring at it was if she could set it on fire with her mind. The lighter whose top she kept flicking over and over in the other hand would yield better results. "Call me if you remember anything," he'd said. She snorted just like she'd snorted then. Oh, she'd remember something. Like pushing an officer's head into a public toilet and flushing it before pulling his pants down for any passer-by to get some free ass.

"Hey, Deborah! Where are the coffee night table clothes? The ivory ones with silver threads!"

She blinked and huffed, mentally filing away that oh so evil idea in the back of her mind. This would later lead her to snicker every time she saw a cop or passed the police station. Right. May had called in sick and Deborah had offered to fill in for her. May was a poor liar and the day before she'd had a scratchy throat, a hoarse voice, and kept coughing every thirty seconds.

"I'm on my way to get them now. Oh yeah, while you were busy with those cops, Charlie came by." Charlie or "Charles" as he preferred to be called, was another employee, in charge of supervising dinnerware, dishwashers, silverware, etc. He'd worked for Katrinka long enough that he knew where each and every piece of china was located. And had a temper tantrum every time something didn't go his way. "He wants to know if you have a final headcount for everyone attending. And he was hinting at what happened that one night where those guys came in unannounced after saying they weren't coming."

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]"He knows I don't get headcounts for Coffee Night!" That Charles. What was wrong with having extra supplies just in case? He counted that silverware like a prison guard.

"I'll go call him, I have to go over my guestlist from last night again anyway. If you can get the cloths on the tables and find where we put the Moon andf Star candle cups, that'd be great. It's going to be hell trying to set the mood with all of this police stuff going on!" Katrinka was giving another frustrated growl to herself as she stalked out of the double doors to the front.

Behind the main counter, she slipped in to a chair and took another sip from her straw. Her computer was already on and she was drawing up her guest list with a click of the mouse. She was about to reach for the phone when a young blonde walked in.

"Uh, Hi. I was here last night by accident, but I was sort of wondering if you were hiring?" Paris tapped her fingers on the counter, looking around the room with mild interest. Quite different from last night, where she spent the entire evening trying to hunt down her crazy old man of a grandfather. She found him and it was a real chore to get him back to the nursing home. Next time, though, she was going to be prepared. She needed a job anyway.

"I remember you!" The girl that she had pointed Brandon to the first time. Funny how things happened like this. Smiling wide, she nodded and pulled out a paper application from the desk. She joined the girl at the counter and handed it over. "Here, just fill this out. How soon can you start? I'm going to be hosting events weekly, and having my own staff for serving is so much cheaper than using the caterers. Did you ever find your grandfather?"

Paris nodded. "Yeah. I figured since I needed a job anyway to help with school, I might as well work at the place he always sneaks off to. Uh, I could start any time I guess. My next class isn't until Wednesday." Taking the paper and a pen, Paris was quick to start filling out the application.

"Pretty clever! Why don't you take a seat at one of the chairs over there to finish filling that out. Just bring it back over here when you're done, and I'll introduce you to some of the other staff and get you started." Watching as Paris left to drop in to one of the lobby chairs, Katrinka went back to her desk to phone up Charles. At least there was SOME good for today. She really did need the extra staff!
[/dash]
[/bg]

Deborah nodded. Phew. At least she wouldn't have to bother about Charlie. Every time she talked to him, the man ended up panting for breath and saying something about seeing a "white light". Like it was her fault he got sensitive about *everything* they talked about. Well, for her it was talk. For him, she might have been a headstrong subordinate who refused to accept his god-given authority. Either way, she did not need him walking around, talking about his "heart condition." She was already sorely tempted to do him a favor and give him a *real* heart condition.

As she wandered toward one of the back rooms, her cell went off. Man, who the hell was it this time? There was that thought to just ignore it ... Deborah took a peek at the phone. She didn't know this number ... "Hello."

"Deborah! Long time no talk! ... Or see!"

She blinked! She knew that voice! "Hey, Malcolm." "Adopted" brother. Actually son of a close family friend. Brothers' best friend whom she hadn't seen since high school. She paused outside the door, in the hall. "What can I do for you."

There was laughter. "No, how are you? I've missed you?"

"I'm alive since this isn't an Ouija board. And it's been busy. So, what can I do for you."

"Awh, you're always right down to business. Anyways, your mom let me know you're living in Elswen now and I happen to be in the area for awhile."

"Good for you." Happen to be in the area? Alarms going off.

"Do you ... mind if I crash at your place for awhile?"

"How long is awhile?" Deborah turned around. "And where the hell are you now?"

"... Pulling up to Katrinka's right now. See you in a bit." A taxi pulled up in front of Katrinka's. The black-haired man with the goatie, wearing worn jeans, boots, and a t-shirt under a leather jacket got out and paid him. Then he walked through the front doors, holding a single duffel bag and a backpack over his shoulder. He walked past Paris, and approached Katrinka. He smiled. He looked like he was in his mid- to late-twenties. Nice teeth. "Hello," he said to her. "I'm looking for Deborah. My name is Malcolm Thomas."

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]Katrinka's conversation with Charles went well. "Well" meaning he didn't have a heart attack, she still had him coming in to work, and at the end of the day everyone would still get paid. Along with having to go over her client list, she also needed to revise her staff. It was so lucky to get the young lady coming in, and she was worried that still might not be enough. Some clients were already arriving early. This was normal! Always stressed out guys like Charlie, but Katrinka appreciated how many people wanted to feel comfortable in their surroundings before meeting and hooking up with strangers.

Of course, she was going to have to rush that new girl in as soon as possible!

"Hello, I'm looking for Deborah. My name is Malcolm Thomas."

"Hello there, dark and handsome!" Katrinka replied, rising from her desk when the man strolled in and introduced himself. She offered him a smile and gave him her usual curious look-over. Young twenties, she guessed. The goatee gave him an interesting look. A little bit like a devil with him wearing that leather jacket too. With bags backed and looking for Deborah. Katrinka was already putting together possibilities.

"I'm Katrinka Carrel, her boss. It's nice to meet you. She should be right through the french doors and helping to get tonight's event set up. I take it you've just gotten in to town?" she had a lot of other questions, but it wouldn't be polite to grill the man when they just met.

Paris finally finished her application and brought it up to the front desk. "Sorry to get in the way, but I'm all done."

"Ah! Excuse me just a minute, Mr. Malcom Thomas. If you like, you can go ahead inside and look for Deborah!" Katrinka took the application from Paris and bustled over to her desk to drop in to her chair. Looking over the info, she took a quick few moments to type everything in to her computer. 18 Years old, Paris Taylor. Also single! Always good to know. She had already filled out the Event Questionnaire from last night (though... maybe later she'd get her to do it seriously), so it only took a minute or two to print up a name tag for Paris.

"Here we go, Paris Taylor. This is your name tag. You don't have to wear it, but it helps keep the clients from mixing you up with other clients. What we'll do today is let you get familiar with the building, the other staff and some of the clients. You can help Deborah with getting the place all set up and bring drinks to some of out early guests, clean up tables and things like that. Okay?"

"Uh huh, okay." The woman talked fast, but it was no big deal for Paris. The blond hooked the nametag on to her shirt, and after some brief additional instructions left the lobby to find the larger event room. Without all the people there, the place looked really different. Apparently a lot of the staff had already switched all the decor from 'bar party' to 'coffee shop', so the atmosphere had a more pleasant feel to it. Paris definitely liked it better than the whole bar scene. Not quite feeling up to talking with strangers yet, Paris found a box of candles sitting on one of the tables and figured she'd just go ahead and set them around and get them lighted.

Meanwhile, Katrinka had a clip board with her To-Do list on it. Using it as the perfect disguise as she tip-toed her way to Deborah and her man-friend. If Deborah had a boyfriend, this would be big news!
[/dash]
[/bg]

April woke up in her apartment, completely oblivious if anyone else was there with her. She stood up next to her bed and stretched letting out a soft groan. She walked over to her shower and turned it on, and stepped in. After a quick shower she heard a knock at her door, and she walked over and answered in her towel. The cop that was standing at the door she found oddly attractive but he was all business. Must be gay... April giggled to herself as he told her that there was a murder investigation and she was needed to return to Katrinka's ASAP.

"Of course! I'll get dressed and head there right now! You know, it was a great service, I met this really cute guy there, maybe you'd find a guy for you too?" She said, her foot slamming it's way into her mouth, but she lived regret free. With a quick slam of the door she went to her closet again looking for a new cute outfit. She picked out a white button up shirt and a black vest over it and a red tie underneath. For her legs she picked out a wide-legged pair of black pants and cute crimson stilettos for her shoes.

"Something is missing...what would really pull this piece together?" April smiled as she grabbed her fake square-framed glasses and put them. "Perfect!" She cooed to herself. She quickly ran out to the kitchen, putting food in Mikey's bowl. Ooooh, I hope tonight is great too! Although, why is there a murder investigation? Oh well, that won't put a damper on MY fun! She quickly dashed out the door, grabbing her purse and locking the door behind her. "Party time!"

-Back at Katrinka's-

April stepped into the grand ballroom, completely oblivious to the fact that it was hours too early to arrive. It seemed that it was just a smattering of people including three girls, two of which seemed to work there. She shook her head, pulling her long hair back into a ponytail and stepping up to Katrinka, completely ignoring everyone else.

"Um, am I like...too early or something? And I'm totally sorry about last night, I didn't mean to make out with you, unless you liked it, then I'm glad you enjoyed it!" April giggled and wiggled a bit in place. "Oh and where's the DJ? I have a mix that would be absolutely perfect for more dancing!" April looked around the place, noticing it seemed to have a different feel to it.

[size=+1]Brandon[/size]

Brandon yawned deeply as he pushed the door open, and entered Katrinka's. Dressed in a pair of black Vans shoes, a pair of blue jeans, a graphic Nirvana band T-shirt, and a grey baseball cap he certainly looked different from the black suit he'd had on the night before. He seemed if anything... even more perfectly dressed for the occasion. He tucked his phone into his pocket, and looked around, until he spotted Katrinka, and began walking towards her.

"Hey there, gorgeous. I'm not too early am I? I guess I got a little excited at the chance to grab a cup of coffee. Must be the company, or perhaps I had a bit too much to drink...." He he lightly rubbed his chin, and then shook his head. "Nope! It's definitely got to be the company." He finished with a smile.

Taking a more serious tone, Brandon took a step closer, and spoke softly enough for just the two of them to hear each other. "I had a rather interesting morning... the cops showed up... did that happen to you?"
[/dash]
[/bg]

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]
Katrinka was trying hard to eavesdrop on Deborah and Malcom when who should stroll right up? Miss April the life of last night's party! There went her spying cover.

Smiling with ease, Katrinka was all business. "You took me by surprise, but I'm used to these sort of things." she winked, before pointing April at a large sign that was now sitting on the bar. It was classy Cafe style menu. "No DJ tonight I'm afraid. This evening we're going for Coffee Shop atmosphere. Intimate and quiet. You're welcome to get a cup, a treat, and talk with any of the other early guests. We haven't quite finished setting everything up yet, but a cutie like you could try offering to fetch drinks for handsome young men! A good conversation starter, don't you think?"

Over April shoulder she spotted Brandon coming in and her eyes lit up. Dressed easy in a tshirt and jeans. She liked his baseball cap. For some reason the whole looked reminded her of the boy next door in cheesy romance novels. Katrinka shooed April through the double doors so the girl could go prowling!

She laughed at his first comment, but at the mention of police her smile faded and she looked very concerned. Katrinka dropped her tone incase April or any of the her other clients were lingering nearby.

"They stopped by really early this morning. One of my clients was found dead at a nearby hotel. I feel so bad. The officer told me that it could have been one of the people here last night, but I can't imagine anyone trying to find love would do something like that. I'm wondering if I should offer people taxi service or something for their way home."
[/dash]
[/bg]

[size=+1]Brandon[/size]

"I thought as much... they were around my place pretty early too, and asked about where I was, if I saw anything out of the ordinary, and to call them if I happen to remember anything. It's a scary thought, to think that anyone could have done it... but at least I know that it wasn't either of us." Placing a hand softly on her shoulder, Brandon looked at her directly "You can't blame yourself for what happened, Katrinka. There are just some bad people in the world, and they do bad things... but the taxi idea is definitely a good idea. I'm sure that the police will find who's responsible, and give him or her what they deserve."

"Though apart from the gruesome news, I have to say that I really enjoyed last night, and since it's so early in the day, I'd like to start with some more flattery... I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I find you looking even prettier when not wearing a dress. Must be the smile. That's a mighty potent accessory for ya."
[/dash]
[/bg]

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]
Katrinka looked down at her clothes. A dark pair of jeans, grey blouse with silver beadwork and a yellow cardigan with matching ballet style shoes. She looked put together without looking dressed up. Personally, she thought her outfit from last evening was way more smokin', but flattery did get a man everywhere.

A warm smile was her response, though that worried expression never left her face. Stuff like this was serious, but she did appreciate his words and comfort.

"You make it so tempting for me to lapse in to cheesy prose! But there's so much I have to get done today. Especially with police lurking around. Althooough," she leaned close to bump her shoulder against him, a teasing grin spreading across her lips. "If I had an extra hand with setting up, I might have more time to flirt with handsome men."
[/dash]
[/bg]

[size=+1]Brandon[/size]

Returning the grin, Brandon paused a moment, and then looked off to the side a moment, and then back to Katrinka. "Then that means I'll get to spend more time with a most intoxicating lady, wouldn't it? What do you need help with, Katrinka?" He asked fighting the urge to spew out more flowery words... he'd made his impression it seemed. All that was left, was to be patient, and take each inch she gave. For a split second he'd forgotten about the police, and then pondered on that. They were certainly going to water down the plans for this get together, but the boys were only doing their job... and an important one at that.

"Something manly like, yes? That's what you must need me for." He said with a mock smugness, and folded his arms across his chest, as his phone went off with a storm of buzzes. "Right... let me just turn that off before I get this silly notion to answer the damn thing..." Placing a hand into his pocket, he silenced the call, and then rubbed his neck.
[/dash]
[/bg]

[bg=#3A3434]
[dash=#A89382]
He turned off his phone for her. Katrinka marked that action down on her mental list of 'small things that make her swoon'. Guys don't often blow off their phones these days.

She cleared her throat, grin getting ever wider. "Oh manly, for sure. Only the manliest of work." Snooping on Deborah's new man companion was completely forgotten for the time being. Beckoning a finger at Brandon, which probably looked more like she was luring him away somewhere wicked than just asking him to follow, she led the way in to the main room and towards the back where the kitchens and supplies were.

"My guy Charlie was supposed to be here, but he's so busy pitching a tantrum about silverware that he's running late. I've got tons of tables to move around and chairs to add. But for you, you are going to get my ladder down so I can hang up privacy curtains and push around the screen walls." Once Brandon took a look to where she was pointing, it was obvious why she needed help fetching the ladder. There was a small storage space up high for putting away boxes and tools, but it was several feet out of Katrinka's reach even on the tallest step ladder she could find.

"Whoever decided to put the ladder up there must have thought it was real funny."
[/dash]
[/bg]