Katrinka's Dating Service

She was with the old fool. Thats how she spends her day, you mean nothing to her.

"Oh.. sounds nice, the free day that is." But you're wrong. "Well I noticed, and well you know whats been happening lately. Can't blame a person for being worried." he have a small laugh, not really audible but it distracted him from the very level his words could not be meant the same way they sounded. He'd know if she was dead...

"Well I'm glad you're ok and well, wanted to apologize for anything I might have said, or did. You know I'm just not used to the whole dating scene thing. So call it even and reboot?" he sounded nervous, he was nervous. "And maybe consider coming here anyway since I seem to be the only person who can't skate?"

[dash=gray]
Imagining Jon's sister pull him to the ice whilst falling was funny, he had to admit. That wouldn't be a concern, though. Falling was no fear for Vincent and he wouldn't dare drag his lover down with him. He was hoping that it wouldn't take him long to regain his ability to ice skate, else he'd suffer a punch to his ego.

The pair of skates he rented got laced up and ready to go, his shoes left behind where he believed them to be safe in a bench area. They were worn looking sneakers anyway, so if anyone took them, that would at least urge him to finally buy a new pair. Still hand in hand with Jon, they headed to the ice so they could join the rest of the skaters.

A concentrated expression was on Vincent's face when he took a step onto the ice, his heart racing with anticipation that he would fall or slide away. Or both. The grip on Jon's hand wasn't tight as he'd like it to be, since he didn't want to cause him to stumble either. "Ah, wanna lead the way?" he asked in a hopeful voice.
[/dash]

Just when Jacqui was getting terribly concerned, her phone began to sing in her pocket. Swiftly, she pulled it out and flipped it open, holding it to her ear so she could hear what Avani had to say. The stoic mask she wore turned into a look of sadness, sympathy twinkling in her eyes. She could tell that the girl was sobbing...

"Awh, babe. We're at the Crystal skate rink," she reminded her, already standing up from the bench so she could head to her car. "If you wait there, I can head over. We can do something else, or just skate where you ended up?"

The skates she rented at the booth were returned with the use of her free hand, the phone still at her ear during the walk back to her vehicle. There was no way she'd let Avani be all alone! Jacqui was beginning to feel awkward sitting by her lonesome where everyone could see, anyway.

"I know exactly where you are," she assured her, getting into the driver's seat of her car and twisting the key into the ignition. In seconds, she was buckled and already backing out of the parking lot. "Are you doing alright?"

[BG="#584E56"]
[DASH="#FF6EC7"]April giggled as Adare looked disappointed that she hadn't approved of his outfit. It was a nice fit on him but she felt that he should know better than to wear all one color. At least she'll change his outfit when she got the chance but for now he seemed a bit worried about Malcolm.

"Don't worry Addy! I'm sure he's just running a bit late! He'll show up anytime soon." She giggled. "And don't worry! I'll go shopping with you and you'll get the most fierce outfit on the planet! I'm thinking something with a nice creme tie and gold touches...A nice dark print...oooh I've got so many ideas!" She cried out. "As for that 'asshole that didn't deserve me', he totes just like, fell off the face of the like planet! So you're totes going to have to find me some nice man candy, cause I like, totes can't show up to your wedding without a hot slice of man candy on my arm!" She giggled and tried to twirl about but only managed to kind of hop in a circle and landed back in front with a shaky smile.[/bg]
[/dash]

[bg=#42526C][DASH=#CAE1FF]Jon smiled at Vince as he laced up his skates. It was nice to be out and about with him and at least he could keep an eye on April as well as have a nice romantic date. When Vincent was all laced up and ready to go Jon led him off by hand to the ice.

He took his first couple of steps onto the ice warily, it had been a while after all. But once his skates touched the ice he was back to his old skating ways, taking off without a second thought he glided skillfully across the ice, spinning a couple of times before remembering that he was leaving Vincent behind. He quickly powered his legs back over and skidded to a stop in front of his boyfriend. "Sorry about that, I guess I just take to the ice a bit naturally." He chuckled and scratched his arm nervously. "But I'll stick by your side now." He offered a warm smile and extended his hand to let Vincent hold on and slide out with him.
[/bg][/dash]

Van smiled as Ebrille helped her lace up and she made sure to pay close attention but the poor guy seemed like he was awfully worried and wasn't really paying attention to her. That would certainly have to change.

God, when did I become such a creeper, I don't even know this guy...ah well, he's handsome at least. She pondered as she stood carefully. "Do you want to skate with me? You can vent all your troubles to me if you'd like. It's always nice to have a sounding board for your problems right?" She smiled warmly, hoping that he'd take her up on her offer. She was sending all the signs of being open though, she twisted her finger through her hair and tried to make eye contact when she could, though he didn't seem to want to make much of it.

[bg=#291a15]
Paris made an unseen face, though it wasn't at Drakes offer, but rather at the thought of showing up near the boss and then getting talked in to working.

"Eeeeeh, I'm not really keen on Katrinka catching sight of me and making me work anyway. If you want, we could meet somewhere and hang out today? My grandad is already back at the home. So I have the rest of the day free."
[/bg]

[size=-2]
Avani dabbed her eyes with the sleeve of her outfit and tried not to think how ridiculous she probably just sounded over the phone to Jacqui. It was very difficult to accept her own anxiety over failing at something and right now, she felt both ashamed at her over-reaction to becoming lost and still very distressed over the fact that she went to the wrong place.

"I don't even think that this one is open" Avani admitted sheepishly to Jacqui, her eyes lined with light red as a result of her crying and the wiping of those tears. "We can just head back to the right rink, if you want… I'm okay, really. Just sorry that I ruined everything. I even got dressed up nicely for the party."

It was comforting, oddly, for Jacqui to be assuring her that she was going to pick her up. Part of Avani was very happy for this but there was also the part that was angry with herself for not making Ebrille drive her to the party – clearly he'd ended up there all right or he'd be calling her and crying like a baby!

Adare couldn't help but laugh appreciatively at April's enthusiasm. She was such a happy, bright person and he couldn't see why anyone would lose the chance to get to know her. He couldn't see her in a romantic light but he was deeply fond of her as a friend.

"We'll find you someone much better than he was" Adare scoffed, steadying her with one hand. "As for the outfit, I certainly hope that you will help me plan. Just nothing…. Too wild. If Malcolm takes too much longer, I'm going to call him. He's not usually punctual but he's not generally so late, either."

Ebrille smiled as best he could at Van, trying hard to not seem very unhappy but all the same, he was worrying about Paris and why she had not shown. Ebrille took Van's hand and was leading her to the ice when he passed by Drake once more.

Ebrille's thoughts were already on Paris and it didn't take him long to jump to the worst conclusion when he saw the shady man talking into a cel lphone and the word 'date' carried to his ears. He tried to think that it wasn't Paris, but perhaps a combination of the fact that he was already thinking of her, Drake had been hanging around her before, she wasn't here… all of it added up and only seem to confirm his suspicions. Despair pulled him down more effectively than a lead weight and insecurities flooded through him.

She hadn't liked the date. Taking her to the zoo was a stupid idea. She's probably only dated him out of pity, anyway, or maybe because she wanted a free meal and he hadn't even given her that. Now, she was going with Drake. Maybe she'd liked him from the beginning?

If she was going to go on a date with him, then why shouldn't he enjoy himself?

"What was your name? I don't think you've told me since last time and you know, there were so many people there that I couldn't hear you. My name is Ebrille, by the way. No need for a sounding board, by the by. We'll just have a nice conversation, you and I."
[/size]

[dash=gray]
Jon was drifting away from him! The instant he noticed, Vincent could feel himself going off balance. He was familiarizing, that much was certain, but it would take him a little longer. Plus, the mini panic he was having wasn't allowing him to coordinate. "Sweet Jesus," he muttered, holding his arms out and making a crouch, doing his very best to make not a single move.

Fortunately, Jon slid back over to him, apologizing and offering his arm. The arm was taken with gratefulness, his posture adjusting and his lips twitching into half a grin.

"It's no big deal. You had me scared for a second, though," Vincent admitted with a nervous laugh of his own. "When I adjust to this slippery surface, you'll have to show me some more of those moves."

Vincent himself didn't know anything too impressive, but the simple concept of ice skating was intriguing on its own.
[/dash]

"You didn't ruin anything," Jacqui promised, holding the phone to her ear whilst driving with the other hand. She smiled a little bit at the mention of Avani dressing nicely for the occasion. It also made her feel bad, since she was still dressed in her work clothes. A mental note was made to dress more handsomely for her girlfriend on a date later in the week; she owed it to her. For one reason or another. If not just because she was hopelessly in love...

Minutes passed by and the skating rink that Avani told her about came into view. She was driving slightly over the speed limit the entire time, yet avoided getting caught. No police officers were around--thank goodness. Jacqui kept her cell phone next to her head as she stepped out of her vehicle, after turning it off and pocketing her keys. It was obvious where Avani was; her car was the only other one around.

"I'm here. Wanna step out?" Jacqui started walking over to the other car, her free hand making a wave at it. Just seeing her after a long day would be nice, whether or not they would go to the skating rink with the others. There would be no departure until she gave her a kiss, though.

(Cheating, and played some of the scene in Chat. XD Feel free to do the same!)

<div class="post" style="font-family: Courrier New,verdana,serif; color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000;"><span class="username"> </span> [Michael blew his breath between his palms and rubbed them together.] <span class="time">-10:37 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: Courrier New,verdana,serif; color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000;"><span class="username"> </span> [Katrinka is doing what she does best. Meddling in the love lives of others.] <span class="time">-10:37 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> I don't know, Selena. Remember what happened the *last* time we tried ice skating? <span class="time">-10:39 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> *Speaking of meddling in the affairs of others, the moment she spotted Mic she was already running <i>Operation; Lena's Wish Come True</i> through her head. Mic neglected to make her promise not to hook him up with someone today! So there Katrinka was, sneaking up behind them, clasping her hands behind her back.* Are you afraid of a little ice, Mic? <span class="time">-10:41 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #9B30FF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Selena: </span> *Selena shook her head and sighed with the burden of a wisdom far beyond her age.* You're a blackbelt instructor who teaches little old grandmas to kick muggers' butts but you don't want to ice skate?! *She turned!* Miss Katrinka! Hello! <span class="time">-10:42 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *He turned and raised an eyebrow.* &quot;Little&quot; is defined as something this wide and this long. *He held up his hands so they were an inch apart.* That. *He threw his thumb over his shoulder at the rink.* That is a lot of ice. <span class="time">-10:44 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> Ah, lucky for us that they've made this area specifically to avoid tragic ice breaking accidents! We won't be skating over the lake, just their rink. ...So nothing to be afraid of. Right Lena? *Katrinka smirked wide, rocking on her heels.* <span class="time">-10:49 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #9B30FF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Selena: </span> *She nodded matter-of-factly then out of nowhere seemingly pulled out a thick file of papers! She held them up in Michael's face.* These are the schematics and reports for the ice skating rink since they opened fifteen years ago. They've had their shares of small injuries but nothing like you're thinking about, Daddy. <span class="time">-10:52 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *He took the file of papers and looked at it suspiciously.* You don't know that for sure. <span class="time">-10:53 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> At work you'll scrape a knee and get nursed by an adorable medic. *She leaned forward with that conspiratious smile.* In fact, one of my clients here today just recently got out of nursing school and should you happen to fall over, It would make a very good reason to introduce you both? <span class="time">-10:56 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> *At worst! <span class="time">-10:58 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *That was enough to startle him out of flipping through those papers and attempting to figure out how Selena got her hands on information like this. Wasn't it illegal?!* That's ... very nice of you. But I just came to chaperone Lena. I'm going to grab some nachos and sit over there ... somewhere. <span class="time">-11:06 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> I thought you knew me well enough by now to know that I don't let anyone sit alone in a corner during one of my events. Chaperone or not! *She crossed her arms, giving him that raised eyebrow look. He was a stubborn one, but there wasn't a man that Katrinka couldn't bag a date for.* What if we strap some skates on you and I push you around the rink for a few turns? <span class="time">-11:10 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #9B30FF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Selena: </span> *She took the opportunity to snatch that file back and make it disappear as quickly as it had popped up.* That's a wonderful idea, Miss Katrinka! *She grabbed one of Michael's hands and started pulling him to the rink.* A few turns will be great! And it will prevent me from having to burden my therapist with stories of how I felt inadequate enough to socialize with my beloved father and neglected on the stay I had begged and pleaded Mommy to have! <span class="time">-11:13 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *He blinked! That was startling enough to catch him offguard and enabled Selena to drag him to the benches skaters could put their skates on!* Wait, you're going to tell your therapist what?! <span class="time">-11:14 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #9B30FF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Selena: </span> Quick, Miss Katrinka! Grab those skates over there! The brown ones with the black laces under that bench! It's just his size! *She plopped him down on the bench and started pulling off his shoes! Let it never be said she didn't come prepared!* <span class="time">-11:16 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> Inadequate and neglected. I do believe she's going to paint you as a very frightening father with that vocabulary of hers. *Now that he hooked by his own daughter, Katrinka grabbed the skates as instructed. Not failing to grab a pair for herself. Ice skating wasn't her best skill either, but this was an emergency of romantic importance. She plopped down next to Michael and handed Lena the skates.* <span class="time">-11:18 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #9B30FF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Selena: </span> *She worked so fast it was like she had practiced this a million times! She loved her dad but there were times he frustrated her beyond reason! How a man could be so stubborn when it came to love she may never know! She finished the last knot and then stood triumphantly!* And you're done. I still have to put my skates on so why don't you head along with Miss Katrinka for a bit? <span class="time">-11:23 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> *Katrinka laced up her skates, probably not as quickly as Lena was able to tie up her father, but quick enough to now be standing and delicatly balancing on the blades. She held out her hand for Mic.* I can at least help you get used to the skating so you won't fall over on Lena. <span class="time">-11:30 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *There was a soft sigh of defeat and then he was taking Katrinka's hand.* I'm more worried I'll be falling over you. <span class="time">-11:33 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> For the past month and a half you've flipped me, tossed me, thwacked me, and I'm sure much worse just from self defense lessons. I think I can survive an ice tumble! *Katrinka gave a cheeky grin, leading him off to the ice. She was very careful to step out first and turn to face him. Keeping a hold of his hand and then pointing down at his feet.* Now step careful. Keep your feet together and your knees solid, but not stiff. <span class="time">-11:39 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *It might have seemed like a short distance from the benches to the edge of the ice rink but it lasted a lifetime for Michael to get there. He was staggering and stumbling and he was sure he was going to bring Katrinka down with him at any moment! He clung to the last solid barrier between him and a pool of ice.* ... My mind's registering you. My feet, not so much. <span class="time">-11:43 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> I've no idea how you can kick someone's ass, but not be able to stand in a pair of skates! *She laughed, but she was patient. Tugging his hand to get him to take that step without out-right dragging him on to the ice.* C'mon Mic. If you can't do this, how are you going to get Lena off the ice later to go home? <span class="time">-11:46 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *He shot her a dirty look but the effect was probably weakened by the image of him still clinging to that railing.* Yeah, well, I've never had to kick someone's butt on skates before. *He huffed.* Okay, okay. *She had a good point--and one he couldn't argue against. Selena was a damn good skater. A natural, at least where he was concerned. He just wasn't sure if that view was fatherly pride or cold hard reality. He slowly lessened his grip.* Feet together. Knees solid. Not stiff. <span class="time">-11:52 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> You're adorable! ...I mean, you're doing just fine so far. *Katrinka immediately tried to shift her expression so she wasn't grinning or laughing at him. She wasn't doing the best of jobs, but at least now she wasn't outright smirking.* ...Okay, this is getting ridiculous. It's time to take a risk and live on the wild side, Mic. *Without giving him a chance to protest, Katrinka pried his other hand free from the barrier. Whether he liked it or not, she was tugging him over the ice.* <span class="time">-11:57 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> Hey! *He shut his eyes as he was forced to let go. Too fast! Too fast! Too fast! He tried to find the brakes on this thing but all it got him were a few close calls to falling, avoided only by Katrinka somehow managing to steer him so he didn't.* <span class="time">-11:58 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> *Though she was tempted to toss her head back and cackle like a wicked witch, Katrinka thought it better to not draw attention to him. ....Yet!* It's not that bad. Straighen your legs a bit and relax! *She held tight to his hands as she moved backwards herself. Occasionally glancing over her shoulder to make sure no one was in the danger path!* <span class="time">-12:01 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *If he could, he would be shooting dirty looks at her! As it was, he forced himself to breathe and actually pay attention to what she was saying! It was difficult to say the least and it took him several tries!* <span class="time">-12:12 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> Better! Now if you'll <i>open</i> your eyes, I might let go of you. It's gets easier the more you relax! *Katrinka was already putting some distance between her and him, and though she hadn't let go yet, she was losening her grip on his hands.* <span class="time">-12:15 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #808080; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Michael: </span> *Relax. Relax. He huffed and opened first one eye and then another. But when he felt her grip loosening, he started to panic!* Wait, what are you doing?! <span class="time">-12:19 May 31</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #C47EB3; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Katrinka: </span> I'm going to let go so you and fly free Mic! *Now she couldn't help it! She was cackling! But at least kind enough not to let go while he looked like she was going to let him glide off a cliff.* Okay, new techique. Stop thinking about your feet and talk to me. Talked to any cute girls today? <span class="time">-12:24 May 31</span></div>

[BG="#584E56"]
[DASH="#FF6EC7"]April nodded seriously! She was going to make him the best dressed man at the wedding, but she was going to make sure that she didn't outshine his future hubby.

"And now! We're totes going to skate! C'mon!" She cried triumphantly, clomping her way to the rink, only falling one time and catching herself rather well. She was proud that she hadn't smacked her face on the floor again, it was certainly a bit unbecoming to be falling all over but with the same enthusiasm she picked herself up again and continued her slow clomping over to the ice.

Her first steps onto the ice were shaky but all those days watching Jonathan when she was younger didn't go for naught and she slid carefully but solidly across the ice. She wasn't a complete klutz here, that was until she tried to stop. She let out a shreik as the sideboards came closer and closer until she felt an arm under her and she was being turned and was allowed to continue on under Jon's arm.
[/DASH]
[/BG]

[bg=#42526C][DASH=#CAE1FF]Jon smiled as he held Vince's hand. "Don't worry, I won't let you go, but let's go rescue April. I don't think she's learned how to stop yet." He chuckled as he pulled Vince along with him, catching up with April in no time.

He quickly scooped his arm under April and turned her so the three of them were skating together. "So now it's my boy and my sister, what a lovely skating line we have here." He chuckled leaning in and giving Vincent a kiss on the cheek as he slowly led the two around the rink. April leaned over and giggled to Vincent, happy that they were being affectionate.

"Don't worry hun," Jon whispered to Vincent, "I'll get rid of her in a moment."
[/DASH][/bg]

Van smiled, but underneath she was mildly insulted that he had forgotten her name but she chalked it up to not being in contact. "I'm Vanessa, you can call me Van though." She smiled warmly. The promise of conversation seemed nice to her and she nodded as she took a step out onto the ice. "Do you skate well? I hope I remember how to do this!" She chuckled.

She took another couple of steps out onto the ice and felt her balance slipping until she clutched the sideboards and smiled timidly to Ebrille. "Well you can't do any worse than I can!"

[size=-2]
Avani blushed deep pink, the color infusing her skin with an over-warmth and she tried to smile. Avani stumbled a little over her high heels as she made her way to Jacqui. It was terribly hard to keep herself well-balanced in these shoes and she couldn't guess what other women saw in wearing them all the time. The skirt, too, was uncomfortable and every few steps, her fingers curled around the hem and tugged it down. Every couple of steps though, it felt like the skirt was revealing too much leg once more.

Having finally made her way to Jacqui's side, Avani leaned in and kissed her lightly. The warmth of her cheeks was subsiding but she hoped that Jacqui couldn't see the flush to her cheeks. "I hope not... I don't really know if I want to skate in these clothes though. I didn't know that they would be so uncomfortable." A sudden idea struck Avani and she suddenly grinned, flashing white teeth in the dim light provided by nearby lamps and the reluctant moon.

"Do you have any time off?"

Adare was more than up for skating with April and guiding her along the ice since, like many sports, ice skating was something that he'd done as a boy in Ireland to pass the time. He was, however, shocked when Jonathan came by and swooped up his little sister and, with it, Adare since he had been clutching the small girl's arm.

Adare released the arm quickly. The couple that picked up April made the little ache in his insides intensify. A quick glance around the ice, filled with quiet longing, informed him that Malcolm had still not arrived. April, though without a squeeze, had her brother and his lover there. He was feeling lonely and perhaps a little self-pitying without his love there to share the experience with him.

"I'll catch up to you in a bit, April!" he called, smiling broadly. He would still try to act boisterous, until he could seclude himself and make the phone call. Graceful until the ice ended, Adare moved to clomping when he made it to the carpet at last. Fishing into the pocket of his jacket, Adare retrieved the phone for himself and flipped it open. Thanks to new features on the phone, Malcolm was only a pressing of number two away.

Ebrille clasped his larger hand around Van's, a smile playing over his lips at her enthusiasm. There was something intoxicating about her, after all, and perhaps he'd been just a little too obsessed to miss that. Now, however, he was glad she'd drawn him out of his shell. Guilt tugged at him but he pushed it away, reminding himself that he had no commitment made to Paris and clearly she hadn't made one to him.

With a bashful smile, Ebrille helped Van away from the wall. "My mother made me take ballet when I was young - how much different could it be?" With false confidence, he pushed away from the wall and glided along the ice with Van's hand in his own. Promptly, he fell and she toppled onto him. "Quite a bit, I guess..."
[/size]

Outside of the ice rink, Deborah's truck pulled into an open parking stall. The passenger door opened first. "Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou, Debbie!" Malcolm slipped out with a cooler in both hands. He was dressed warmly today. He'd made lunch for him and Adare and had wanted to surprise him. Unfortunately he'd forgotten the "special touches" and had had to call Deborah for a ride. He couldn't ruin things by calling his boyfriend.

Deborah scowled, mug of coffee in one hand. "For crying out loud, would you shut up already. You've told me thank you half a million times already."

"More like one hundred fifty two." Malcolm grinned. He was just so happy and Deborah being in her usual good spirits certainly helped things. "Hehe. But who's counting?"

"Uggh ... Just get your sorry ass into that rink and go kiss your boytoy before I kick it there," she ordered. She locked the truck doors with a press of the button and with another, turned the alarm on. Stupid man. If she wasn't answering her mother's incessant questions about Malcolm and his new love, she was catering to his lovestruck ways. She raised an eyebrow and looked at him suspiciously as he literally slid around the corner of the truck and stood beside her, watching her, waiting for something. "... What."

Malcolm suddenly kissed her cheek. "Love ya."

Deborah growled and moved to slap him but he danced out of the way. "... You are so dead, Malcolm Thomas!"

"You'll have to catch me first!"

"Grr ..." And despite the voice in her head yelling at her not to, she ran after him, mug in hand!

Malcolm weaved his way through people and poles and furniture. "Excuse me! Coming through! ... Sorry! Lovely hat, really!" He slid through a door beginning to close and took a moment to look around. Now where was that muscled bartender ...

The door behind him was thrown open. "Stupid, son of a--! Get back here!"

Malcolm glanced over his shoulder and made an "O" with his mouth before he took off again. "Ooh ... Aaadddarreeee! Wwwhheerree aaarree yooouuu?" he called out. Then he spotted him across the room. "Aaaddarree!"He waved with Deborah in hot pursuit.

Meanwhile Michael was looking at Katrinka as if she'd grown two heads. "That's not funny," he muttered darkly, glancing from side to side. How could she joke?! He was going to fall and it was not going to be pretty. Any minute now ... "Cute girls ... Eh. I'm talking to you. That counts."

<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Wearing her usual casual clothes of a simple pair of jeans, tshirt and light jacket, Paris showed up at the corner with her hands in her pockets. After having a great date out of Ebrille the other day, she had high hopes that a day out with Drake wouldn't be as awkward as she was expecting. <span class="time">-10:07 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> Drake was waiting outside his thumbs hooked into his pockets as his mind pictures a dozen reasons why she hadn't arived yet, and never would. It only stopped when his eyes found her and his lips curled into what could best be desribed as an amature's attempt at a smile. <span class="time">-10:10 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris' smile was a bit more genuine. Stopping a few paces away from him to give a slight shrug of her shoulder. &quot;Sorry I took so long. I had to make sure my grandpa would stay put. What did you want to do today?&quot; <span class="time">-10:13 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> Drake's face reflected his thoughts as he realised he didn't have any plan between the meeting that had just taken place and... een the thought of showing her the places made his spine tingle, but thinking fast he stood up straiter. &quot;Was thinking we'd just hand out and maybe grab something to eat. Leave skating to those who can and just start over without the dating service or preasure or any expectations. Just be ourselves.&quot; the smile that follewsd was genuine buy short lived, more than anything he wanted to be himself, but only when she was ready. <span class="time">-10:20 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> She let out a relieved sigh. &quot;Whew... To be honest, I really wasn't keen on the idea of scooting around on the ice looking like a big idiot. So that's cool! We can do whatever.&quot; <span class="time">-10:25 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;Yeah..&quot; he said with pehaps too much emphesis. &quot;I've never scated before and well..&quot; he stopped realizing he was actually nervous but he pushed it down focusing on what he came here to do. To show her what he'd shown noone else. His eyes avoided hers as he began walking, leading the way back towards the hotel they had met in. &quot;I remember my mum taking me to a steakhouse nearby... I think they're still open. Want to eat then take a walk to see what we'll find?&quot; he had rehursed this line but with the nerves boiling in his insides it came out sounding like it seemed, a guy asking a girl a question and hoping she wouldn't say no. <span class="time">-10:35 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris fell in to step next to him, her hands never leaving her pocket. She spent most of her time watching her step or glancing around to look at shop windows as they passed them on the sidwalk. &quot;I'm not all that hungry really, but a drink or coffee or something sounds really good. Between work and school I don't think I've been getting sleep at all. Do you go to school?&quot; <span class="time">-10:41 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;Uhh no.&quot; the question was unexpected &quot;I did...&quot; of course you did you idiot. He looked at the ground &quot;I dropped out when mum couldn't work anymore, it was strange spending so much time with her after she was always out.&quot; you made it so she could never leave again. He shook his head in an attempt to keep his thoughts on what he needed to do. &quot;Sure a drink sounds good.&quot; <span class="time">-10:49 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;Have you ever thought about going back?&quot; She asked curiously, now turning to look at him. &quot;Er.. not that I have my own school stuff all together. I haven't even picked a single major yet. Kinda studying a bunch of useless things for the credits.&quot; Paris probably seemed like she had her life together and was on the ball. School was a major part of her life, but she didn't really know what she wanted to do with herself and her future. She kinda envied how some people just knew... <span class="time">-10:54 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> ANother unexpected question, he couls hear her concern for her future, her school, her life. Drake was disapointed that the convosation had arived at something he couldn't really talk about and that she seemed to cling to what he saw was meaningless in the end. &quot;I don't think I'll ever be able to.&quot; he admitted &quot;I mean theres the cost and the time needed and I still have to find a job that doesn't involve fast food...&quot; <span class="time">-11:00 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;I guess it's not really worth it in the end. Unless you know why you're even going to school.&quot; She said with a grin. For her, paying for school was easy. Her family was mildly wealthy and money was never a concern. She understood not everyone had that same opportunity. Paris decided to change the subject. &quot;So what does your mom do now?&quot; <span class="time">-11:06 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;Nothing... just stays home.&quot; Sitting on the chair where you left her, after you dragged her there. She'll neve move again because you ki... &quot;No...&quot; he blinked coming back to the light of day and realized he had stopped walking his head filled with memories... and he had just spoken aloud. &quot;No I don't think its this way...&quot; he covered his hands still shaking as he stuffed them into his pockets. &quot;He used looking at road sighns as an excuse to look away before he continued. &quot;I make enough to feed us.&quot; <span class="time">-11:16 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris eyed him curiously. He seemed to have totally spaced out there for a second. Shrugging it off, she was glancing around at the street again, keeping an easy pace with him. &quot;That's cool. That you take care of your mom like that. I'm not that close with my own parents. Never really see them that often.&quot; <span class="time">-11:21 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He looked up. &quot;I hated that when she was working, wondering around an empty house. I guess thats why I still spend so much time out. Anywhere is better than an empty home.&quot; he looked at her for a second before they reached the rustic steakhouse, a rough yet varnished wooden facade and matching interiour spoke to it's once wild west theme now under diffrent ownership it was more of a family resturant yet this early there were several of the outside tables free and drake pulled out a seat at one for Paris. <span class="time">-11:36 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> She sat down, mumbling a thank you as she settled in her seat. &quot;I never really went out much. I always working on homework and school projects. I guess I still do most of the time. Working at Katrinka's is the first time I've done anything different in a really long time.&quot; <span class="time">-11:43 Jul 05</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000;"><span class="username"> </span> <font size=1 face=verdana>[<font color=red>Paris</font> has timed out.]</font> <span class="time">-12:20 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He sat down oposite her and ran a hand through his hair &quot;we seem to lead pretty opposite lives.&quot; he commented, &quot;Though I like to think we're not that different. I mean you care for your grandad and everything so you're not copletely absorbed in school.&quot; <span class="time">-12:29 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: Courrier New,verdana,serif; color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000;"><span class="username"> </span> [Paris enters.] <span class="time">-12:30 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris grinned. &quot;Yeah, not totally. It's almost like a full time job just keeping an eye on him.&quot; She paused, kind of frowning for a second. &quot;I miss when he wasn't so daffy. We used to hang out a lot.&quot; <span class="time">-12:42 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;He must have been fun.&quot; he said without really feeling it. This was why he didn't speak to people. The things are compelled to say without really meaning it. Drake had neve had anyone to 'hang out' with and so he had no idea what it would be like, fun was just broad enough so it didn't feel like a lie. Though he was getting lost again, he always did, made him feel... insufficient... less than human. But stripped down to thier core it was them wh were less, while he was the one with the untimate power over them. He forced himself back to the surface as the waitress slid a menu in front of each of them. &quot;I just think I want a lime juice.&quot; <span class="time">-12:52 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;Coffee, with sugar and extra cream.&quot; she said to the waitress, giving the woman a quick smile. Once she was gone, Paris was fiddling with the silverware. &quot;He was great. Always told awesome stories about things he did and places he went. He really loved the old hotel, the one Katrinka's is using now. I guess those memories were so good, that he always keeps wanting to get back to them.&quot; <span class="time">-12:56 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> So with your grandad lost in the past and your parents working you spend a lot of your free time alone.&quot; it didn't come out as a question. I'm sorry to hear that though. I think mymum used to work at the hotel too, I don't remember anymore.&quot; <span class="time">-01:19 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris shrugged. &quot;I never really cared too much about it. It's not like I've got the best social skills and all. Kinda feel stupid half the time, anyway so it's been weird suddenly doing all this stuff and talking to so many people.&quot; Working at Katrinkas she's been meeting more people in the past few weeks than she had in years. <span class="time">-01:21 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;Yeah, I don't like crowds. A crowd being three or more people, though sometimes two can feel that way too.&quot; he looked down at his hand folded on the table in front of him &quot;And sometimes one can too, to much thinking, to many memories, to much speaking.&quot; he looked up suddenly as the glass of juice was put in front of him and the strangly strained look on hos face came into view. &quot;I... spend a lot of time overthinking.&quot; <span class="time">-01:27 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> She smiled at the waitress again. Picking up her coffee cup and blowing at it a bit before taking a sip. Paris shrugged her shoulders. &quot;I probably don't think <i>enough</i> about stuff like that. I mean, no reason to unless you're really unhappy, right?&quot; <span class="time">-01:30 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He pulled his glass towards himself and looked down at the ice floating in it poking it with his straw. &quot;I guess not.&quot; she had no idea she had just called him unhappy, or maybe she did. &quot;So does that mean I'm unhappy?&quot; <span class="time">-01:37 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;Er... Are you? I mean, I didn't mean to sound like I think you are or anything! I just meant in general!&quot; Speaking of crappy social skills and sticking her foot in her mouth, this was a prime example. She took another sheepish drink of her coffee. <span class="time">-01:39 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He shrugged. &quot;I have my outlets.&quot; he said before swallowing. Talking and thinking like this was making him... WHAT!? Why was talking and he wasn't... she was different this was different that he though it would be. &quot;Though I guess I am in a way, I mean.....&quot; he didn't know what he meant to he just took a large gulp from his glass. &quot;Sorry this isn't the best subject.&quot; <span class="time">-01:54 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris bit her lip lightly. After the past couple of weeks, she really didn't know what to think about Drake. But she was pretty sure he was a guy that needed more friends in his life. &quot;You know, I <i>am</i> your friend. If you ever want to talk about stuff, I wouldn't mind. I know I'm not like, the best at giving advice or anything. But we can always hang out and stuff, right?&quot; <span class="time">-02:00 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He smiled, perhaps the hardest thing he had ever done. &quot;Yeah I know and thanks.&quot; he took another gulp drinking most of the glass. &quot;Talking is always nice, I mean with someone who understands you.&quot; <span class="time">-02:28 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Confident that she had perked up his mood, Paris drank the rest of her coffee and sat down the cup to tap her fingers on the table. A change of subject was in order. &quot;So what else will we do today? Take a walk around the city? The weather is pretty decent for December.&quot; <span class="time">-02:32 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> &quot;I was thinking that.&quot; he said &quot;The walking I mean &quot;Theres a lot of secluded places around here...&quot; his minds drifted again &quot;I mean a lot has happened lately, and since neither of us can scate its better than sitting at home. I mean I've done that for the last two weeks.&quot; <span class="time">-02:51 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Paris nodded. &quot;Sounds great. You ready, then? I think the waitors are eyeballing us for the table.&quot; She muttered sheepishly. No doubt they looked like a couple of kids waisting time and tables in the place. <span class="time">-02:54 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> Drake stood pulling a couple of loose notes from his pocket and counting out enough for everything. &quot;Alright..&quot; he looked around getting his barings before deciding on where to go first. &quot;How about a walk though the park towards the hotel?&quot; <span class="time">-03:00 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;Sounds like a plan.&quot; Up and out of her chair, Paris found herself once again keeping in step with Drake. <span class="time">-03:05 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He led her across the narrow street to the park and started down one of the paths heading towards the pond. It wasn't the same part the service had visited but a smaller one closer to the hotel. It was impossible not to think of the night spent here, knowing just who'd come along... &quot;Pitty we had to meet like we did, at the hotel I mean.&quot; he had screamed like a pig &quot;Sorry I forgot we were mean to be taking things from the top.&quot; he took a deep breath. At least while he still had a throat. &quot;Uhh...&quot; I wonder what she'd sound like. <span class="time">-03:15 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Her hands were in her pockets again as she looked around at the building. She recognized the area since it was close to work and her Grandpa tended to get loose on these same streets. &quot;Yeah, kinda shitty circumstances. Still kinda freaks me out a bit.&quot; <span class="time">-03:18 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He sighed with relief as Paris talking covered up the silence. He was forgetting where they were going as he lapsed iinto silence and only looked up when they reached the bright yellow tape at the mouth of the alley behind the hotel. &quot;it does?&quot; he asked forgetting the context of her sentence as he felt a tingle at the top of his spine. It was exactly as it had been, the police tape saw to that and he ducked throught into the alley. &quot;This used to be one of my favorite places.&quot; he said looking over the crime scene &quot;When mum was working I'd come here to be close and so she still woudn't see me. I stopped because...&quot; his eyes locked on the corner of the alley behind the dumpster, the space just large enough for someone to hide in. <span class="time">-03:30 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> &quot;Yeah...&quot; It had to be the third or fourth time she had said the word. Paris rubbed her hands over hers arms, getting the willies and that sick feeling in her gut thinking about it. It was surprising there was still police tape everywhere, but then again all of those investigations were still open. <span class="time">-03:37 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He looked at where Paris stood seemingly in a differnt world now. &quot;He dragged her right to where you are and she was already sobbing...&quot; he looked up at her face. &quot;It was cold ...&quot; he lost himself the memories bluring into one another until he couldn't tell one rape from the other. It was always like this. His mouth opened in a grin as he realized they were alone even as part of him screamed that she wasn't like the others. &quot;Her scalf is what was used to stifle her screams I think she went into the place she always told me to go when things are bad, deep inside.&quot; <span class="time">-03:48 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> The more he spoke, the more she had chills running down her spine! Everybody knew what happened, it was just... the way he was talking about it. He was almost smiling. Shifting uncomfortably on her feet, Paris eased a few steps back. Distance felt good. &quot;I'm not really... comfortable with talking about that.&quot; <span class="time">-03:53 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He followed her as she back off, even closing the distance slightly. He could see her fear, they always acted with fear. &quot;Because you're afraid it will happen again? Its just us here. He couldn't hide it now, he fear excidted him as much as the memories, but not the first memories just the second... &quot;Katrinka was here too, this is where it happened, she couldn't scream either.&quot; <span class="time">-04:04 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Katrinka? ...Then who was he talking about before..? One of the other people? Though, she couldn't have been TOO surprise, some of the victims had been people from the service. This was just getting a little too awkward. &quot;You know, it's getting a little late.&quot; <span class="time">-04:10 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He didn't even hear her words, but her meaning struck him hard enough that iit broke his rapture with the past leaving into the present and brought his mind crashing down into itself. &quot;You're just like them.&quot; he said the pitch of his voice uncontrolable before he froze. &quot;it is late. Too late.&quot; <span class="time">-04:28 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #718BBF; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Paris: </span> Awkward was no an understatement. Maybe it was the area and she was just being paranoid, but she just... couldn't deal with this right now! &quot;I'm sorry. I really gotta get home.&quot; She looked apologetic, even hesitating a bit as she lift her hands. But finally she gave him a weak wave before she wheeled around on her heels and made for a brisk escape. <span class="time">-04:31 Jul 06</span></div>
<div class="post" style="font-family: verdana,verdana,serif; color: #404040; background-color: #;"><span class="username">Drake: </span> He watched her go him mind screaming for him to stop her. But he didn't he'd already lost her this way. The wieght of the kine in his back pocket came to his attention adn he grinned again. He'd have her another. <span class="time">-04:36 Jul 06</span></div>

GRAND FINALE: NEW YEARS EVE - MALCOLM AND ADARE'S ENGAGEMENT PARTY

Christmas was beautiful, basked in layers of snow that almost made the horrors of the past few months seem like nothing more than a bad dream. Now, the temperatures had risen above freezing again. The snow having turned to slush on the streets and the evening's forecast predicting rain to wash out the fireworks shows and street parties.

The old hotel, now housing Katrinka's Dating Service was lit up with lights for the first time in a few weeks. This was her grand finale. The last dance. The great goodbye. So many people had cancelled their subscriptions to the service, in the wake of the serial murders and all the bad publicity that she was no longer able to keep the business open. In fact, she had already closed the doors and refunded what she could over the course of the past week. Tonight was a special event of a more personal nature. A gift for two very beloved friends.

Everything was decked out in gold and white. Wispy fabrics, twinkle lights, glitter, and candles. It wasn't exactly manly, but it set a beautiful stage for Malcolm and Adare's Engagement party. Invitations were sent to all of their friends and family. The people attending even included a few of the connections they made through the service, which gave Katrinka a chance to say good bye to a few people she was going to miss dearly. Most people had already arrived, milling about tasting items from the buffet or in small groups chatting and sipping champagne. All that was missing were the guests of honor.

"The bottles are ready for midnight, Katrinka. Did you ever manage to get in contact with Paris?" Megan was one of the part time staff, especially for catering. Having extra people for help made things easier, and she could have used the hand.

Katrinka shook her head and frowned. "She can't make it. Her grandfather died recently and they're not sure what happened. She didn't even want to talk, I think it was her mom that answered the phone."

"Shit, that sucks. Next time you see her, tell I said I was sorry, kay?"

Katrinka nodded and waved as Megan ran off to finish her work. She had left a message, inviting Paris to the party. Saying she didn't even have to come and work, but Katrinka doubted the girl would have the will to show up. She felt bad for her, but there was very little one could do when a loved one passed away.

But for now, tonight was about two very handsome men that were late to their own party. Katrinka grinned to herself. She could imagine all sorts of reasons why they were late, and most them were very dirty!

[BG="#584E56"]
[DASH="#FF6EC7"]April was burning up! She was happy that Katrinka had thrown this fabulous party for Addy and Malcolm, but she had hoped that she could do more to help! She stood off to the side and watched as Katrinka's workers rush about, making everything run as smoothly as it had the first night April had come, back before those awful murders. She remembered the first day here, the way Sean had danced with her, the pure bliss of having a good time and how all of that was taken away by the monster man. She had tried, oh had she tried to get the others to listen but nobody seemed to know.

She shook the thought and played with her outfit a bit, adjusting the knit hat looked about the room again, maybe a familiar face would appear. At very least Adare should've been here by now, of course she had some idea of where they were and it caused April to giggle a bit. Without thinking she took out her phone and scrolled idly through the contacts, nobody she would want to text or talk to. Jon was already here, Sean was deleted from her phone after him not responding to her for what seemed like forever, maybe she'd call her daddy and see if she could take a trip to some far away land.

Like Canada, they're totes foreign and stuff, they like, have their own country and everything! April nodded to herself, putting away the phone in her purse, right next to the pistol. She then picturing herself having fantastic adventures in Canada, riding a moose, meeting a dashing Mountie, seeing those waterfalls. What are they called? Viagra Falls? Is that where hard water comes from? April continued to space out, wondering why anyone would put viagra in a waterfall and what hard water stains really were...
[/DASH]
[/BG]

[bg=#42526C][DASH=#CAE1FF]Jon adjusted his tie and jacket as he looked around the ballroom, decorated for Katrinka's final hurrah. He had just excused himself to the bathroom a minute ago and now he had the fun little game of hide and seek to find his lover, but if April caught him first he doubted he'd escape her clutches. He felt bad for her really, she was here alone and had been alone for a while when she had come to Katrinka in the first place to actually find someone and here he wasn't actually planning on meeting anyone and like a vision Vince came out of nowhere at that picnic. What a strange way the world worked, sometimes it was like magic happened in this little city of Elsewen.

Without thinking he almost toppled over one of Katrinka's helpers. "Oh sorry, did you see a guy about this tall," he gestured to Vince's height with his hand, "pink in his hair? Tattoos and very handsome?" He smiled as the girl pointed him to where Vincent had wandered off to. With a small spring in his step he walked over to where Vincent had wandered off to, sneaking behind him and suddenly wrapping his arms around his lover and whispering into his ear, "Want some candy? I've got a van outside..." Jon joked, hoping it didn't come off too creepy.
[/DASH][/bg]

Vanessa was rather distraught as the cab took her to Katrinka's. She hadn't expected for any of this to happen, that date with Ebrille went far further than she had anticipated, the night they spent together was amazing, so amazing that proper protection was completely forgotten. She rested her hand over her stomach as she sat in the back of the cab, lightly plucking at the fabric of her dress. She had picked the nicest dress she owned, hoping that she could break the news to Ebrille more softly that way, but again she wasn't even sure herself, but if things lined up as she thought it might serve as quite a shock for the man.

The cab pulled up to Katrinka's ballroom, knowing that it was the most likely place to find Ebrille again, losing her cellphone on their date was probably the worst thing that could've happened to her. She quickly paid the cabbie and stepped out, holding her dress in her hand to make sure she didn't splash any of the slush onto it before climbing the steps up to the ballroom that Katrinka called her own. It was strange, she had only been a handful of times but she felt almost sad to know that it was closing down, it had been such a big thing in the culture of the town. She opened the door to the hotel and made her way in, looking around, hoping that Ebrille was there.

Stepping to the side she looked for Katrinka, maybe she would know where Ebrille was, she seemed to know all the goings on of the people that attended her services. Now if I were the head of a party like this where would I hide? she thought, walking towards the food table.

[size=-2]
The cold wind outside was dampened by the thick walls of his car as Adare drove towards the location of the party. It was hard for him to believe that the party was in the honor of his love, something that he had thought wouldn't happen to him. He hadn't expected to find a husband when he'd arrived at the dating service - at best, he'd been looking for a good time partying and perhaps some light flirtation. All of the events seemed overwhelming and momentous but he didn't have a single regret in mind. Rather, he was so content that he at times wondered if the whole affair hadn't simply been a dream.

Adare had come from work for this party, too, though he'd already put in notice for the days that he was going to take off. A flutter of his heart made him turn a little red just thinking about how lovely it would be to marry Malcolm. He couldn't be more thrilled. Realizing that he'd been day-dreaming, Adare shook his head a bit and looked around more closely. He was almost there. The left hand, free while Adare steered with his right, skimmed over his suit to make sure that everything was in order. He wanted to look his best for Malcolm. Having picked out this tuxedo by himself, he also fervently hoped that his close friend, April, would approve of his choice.

The tuxedo had a classic feel, representing Adare's own love of clean elegance and simplicity. It was only a potential problem that perhaps the suit would be too old-fashioned for the party. Still, no use worrying, Adare decided to himself. He was already wearing the suit, after all. Adjusting the jacket, which he left unbuttoned, one last time, Adare slipped out of the car once he had parked. Droplets of rain splattered the ground from the sky, flattening the unruly strands of hair against Adare's scalp. Taking a deep breath of air, Adare ran from the car to the door in an attempt to preserve his tuxedo.

Throwing the door open, Adare raised his arms above his head with a twinkle in his eye. "Hello, everyone!"

Resplendent in a silver tuxedo, Ebrille adjusted his tie a little bit to the side. He was uneasy in going to the party at all but Avani had convinced him that it was a good idea. Ebrille had in fact been morose since his date with Van. In his opinion, the night had gone wonderfully. The connection between them had seemed almost like it was meant to be and had left him feeling happier than he had been in ages.

However, since the date, he'd not been able to contact her at all. Ebrille had tried calling, texting, and even getting Avani to try to call her. This was, in fact, his last ditch attempt at finding her. It wasn't even his idea - he felt like a pup with its tail between his legs. To force him to stop moping, Avani had encouraged him to go to the party and look for her. If she wasn't there with a good excuse, Avani had made Ebrille promise to just forget about her and to move on.

Ebrille ran his fingers glumly over the little statuette of a Brolga Crane that he had purchased from the zoo. It was nothing special, a little token made from white stone and painted with the red patch over the head. The figurine had meant a lot to Ebrille and he'd been intending to give it to Van the next time that they had met in his own roundabout way of trying to convince her that he wanted things to be more serious between them than just a one-night stand.

It was with a heavy heart and pride thoroughly swallowed that Ebrille approached the doors of the party. So absorbed as he was in Van, he'd almost entirely forgotten about Paris. When he did think of her, maybe a little in guilt for seeming so fickle, he remembered her lukewarm attitude towards his endeavors. He had no doubt she'd started dating that skinny guy she'd been brushing off before. Was he just a distraction, or perhaps a tactic to make her lover jealous? It made Ebrille more unhappy to think about it so he tried to push the thought from his head.

One of the men of the night, one half of the duo, had just arrived and flung open the door. Ebrille tried to sneak in behind the man, feeling miserable still and hoping to fall into the shadows.

Avani wiggled in her favorite pajamas and lounged back on her couch. With Ebrille gone, she had the entire apartment to herself and she wasn't even sure yet what she wanted to do with all the space that she'd had. Having already written her piece on the party, social event of the season, for her paper she was not inclined to do much more in the way of work. The thought struck her to invite Jacqui over and also that she'd like a cup of thandai.

Snatching up her cellphone from the end table, Avani dialed Jacqui's number before setting the phone on the counter and pressing the button to put the phone in its speaker setting so that she could talk while she prepared. The ringing of the phone complimented her movements as she tugged fennel, cardamom, and cloves from the cupboards. She had to search through the dishwasher for her favorite mug to drink from and almost knocked the phone off the counter in her haste to make it back to answer Jacqui, who had just picked up.

"Hi! Jacqui?"
[/size]

Van was nervous as she paced a small area of the ballroom, checking her watch from time to time. She slowly began to question her idea that he would show up, she didn't know anyone here, nor the couple that was having their party, she just knew Katrinka and had been invited so she couldn't say no at the hopes Ebrille was around too.

Finding a seat off to the side she waited, her head dropping down, her gaze in her lap, snapping up suddenly as a man made a large and showy entrance and the small girl that she had seen at almost all of these engagements took off like a bullet from clear across the ballroom. It took her a moment to realize that Ebrille had sneaked his way in past who Van assumed was one of the two men this engagement party was for. She rose from her seat and made her way across the ballroom towards where Ebrille was. Her heartbeat pounded in her ears as she stepped closer and closer. Her hand reached out to touch his shoulder and suddenly he turned, her face turned a shade of deep crimson and she couldn't help but lunge at him, her arms wrapping around his neck, a fluffy of "I'm sorry" escaped her lips and she stayed like that for a moment, feeling like she was suspended in time as she stood there.

When she finally let go she smiled meekly, brushing her hair out of her face. "I'm sorry, on our date I lost my phone and I didn't mean to not get in contact with you I just got my new phone and I didn't remember your number and I didn't want to not talk or anything and I really like you and I wanted to spend more time with you, and I think that if we do spend a bit more time together I think you'd want to stay with me especially if I told you a secret about you and well, me and well, it concerns both of us...I'm just...I'm sorry..." Van sighed, pouring her heart out, but she still couldn't help but smile to see him again. "I'm sorry if I scared you..."

She took a step back to give him some breathing space and idly ran her hand over her furry shrug, the small feeling comforted her and she could feel herself calming down a bit. In the back of her mind though she was worried that he wouldn't accept her news, the news that their one night stand had resulted in her becoming pregnant

[BG="#584E56"]
[DASH="#FF6EC7"]April, upon seeing Adare entering the building took off practically galloping across the entirety of the ballroom, all thoughts of Canada and hard water left behind. She was skidding to a stop in front of Adare in no time, reaching him however she slipped, one foot flying high up and carrying her backwards onto her back and landing a bit roughly.

"WOAH! I JUST FELL AND BUST MY SHIT AGAIN!" April let out a loud laugh as she picked herself up. She was beginning to wonder if this floor was greased because she always seemed to have the worst luck whenever she stepped into this ballroom. "Adare! ADARE! YOU LOOK HAWT! OH MY GAWDS SO CUTE! I'm sure you'll be just as well dressed as Malcolm! Where were you hiding this suit? I'm totes sure that you didn't have this in your closet when I visited last! Was it at the dry cleaners? Oh don't go to that one on main street down by the water, cause that place totes shrunk Mikey's little sweater and I totes had to buy a new one! Anyways, let's go sit somewhere and bask in the glory of this place, cause I think you totes need like a place of honor or something! Wait! I know I'll go get us some drinks, something really fun and alcoholly! We'll totes have an awesome party time tonight!" April gabbed a mile a minute, completely oblivious that Adare might want to go mingle with some of the guests at the party held in his honor, or maybe Katrinka would like to talk to him and congratulate him on his engagement.

Instead she patted him on the shoulder a couple of times and skipped off to find the bar, there had to be a bar, there always was at these kinds of things after all. Without even thinking she burst into the kitchen area where some of Katrinka's servers were a bit shocked at her sudden arrival. "Ma'am, you can't be back here, this is for staff only." They tried to get her to turn out but they'd never dealt with April on a booze finding mission. "I WANT CHAMPAGNE! CHAMPAGNE FOR, LIKE, EVERYONE!" She cried out triumphantly, "Just make sure there's no hard water stains, cause we totes don't need anything that comes from Viagra Falls cause that's totes gross and for old men!" She cried out, turning on her heel and charging back out to the party, happy that she was ordering champagne. Now all she had to do was find where Adare had gone off to...
[/bg]
[/dash]

[dash=gray]
Vincent had to make a rush to the bathroom when someone approached him for conversation. To not be rude, he excused himself for an 'emergency'. Yet again, he was at a formal event in formal dress... Dressing up was fun sometimes, but today, he wasn't terribly thrilled. For some reason, he was feeling grouchy. There was no reasonable explanation, really. Probably just one of those 'woke up on the wrong side of the bed' moments?

The day was suddenly brighter, though. A pair of welcomed arms wrapped around him, followed by the whispering words of a creepy stalker. It made Vincent smirk. He knew it was Jon the moment he felt that embrace, but it was all highly amusing still.

"What kind of candy?" he asked curiously, making a warm laugh. They were the only ones in the bathroom, he hoped. Echoing laughter and talk of candy in a creeper van couldn't be fun for someone hiding in a stall. To his knowledge, no one tagged in after him. One man left as he went in... Oh well, what did it matter? Vincent liked making people uncomfortable.

"You are so gorgeous," Vince whispered, glancing at a mirror that gave him sight of what Jon was wearing.
[/dash]

Jacqueline was in the middle of getting dressed when Avani called. She only got as far as a pair of boxer shorts and some socks when she heard her phone ring in a pair of her jeans. With a t-shirt in hand, she sped over to the pants to fish out the cell phone. A wad of cash, a couple of receipts, her keys... At the end of the mess, she finally got the phone!

"Hello?! I-I mean, hey baby," she said, flustered. She worried she wouldn't answer the call in time. Just at the last minute, she beat the voice that would ask for a message.

Finding her composure, Jacqui grabbed the rest of her needed clothing and dropped it all on her couch. With her free hand, she rubbed the back of her neck while trying to think of something to say. It didn't take long for her voice to return to its usual calm, carefree sounding ways.

"What's up? Not goin' to that, ah, thingy? The party, I mean. I was about to call and ask if you wanted to get together, if not. It's New Years Eve, you know?"

The storm that was April, talking a mile a minute into Adare's ear, came and left before Adare could really get a word in edgewise. All he could do was chuckle at April's energy and enthusiasm for his outfit, taking some pride that he'd managed to impress her this time. Then, before he knew it, she was off and about, demanding champagne from someone. Adare's eyes flitted around the scene in his search for Malcolm. He could understand why Malcolm seemed so shy, but he really wanted to see him.

This party was half about Malcolm, anyway. Adare found himself looking for Katrinka in hopes that she had perhaps seen Malcolm and also to thank her for the wonderful party that she had put together for them. It had been an obvious choice to ask her to plan their wedding for them, what with the spectacular job that she did on everything else and naysayers be damned.

Failing in both searches, Adare decided that the party was too quiet for his liking. Taking over the center of the dance floor, Adare started to dance raucously, causing a bit of a commotion, especially when he began singing as well.

"Come haste to the wedding ye friends and ye neighbors,
The lovers their bliss can no longer delay.
Forget all your sorrows your cares and your labors,
And let every heart beat with rapture today.
Come, come one and all, attend to my call,
And revel in pleasures that never can cloy.
Come see rural felicity,
Which love and innocence ever enjoy. "

Van's confession fell upon Ebrille's ears like a sort of miracle - they were everything that he could have hoped for and explained away his every fear. She seemed hesitant to say more and Ebrille thought that it was cute of her. He felt warm inside, cared about for the first time. This was a new feeling for him, to not have to do the chasing as he'd done before. It was something special to think that she liked him, too.

Bending down a little, Ebrille kissed Van, quieting her stumbling speech. He didn't know what she was trying to say, he'd had a hard time hearing or understanding her last words, partly because his heart had been thumping wildly in his chest. His fingers ran over the smooth surface of the crane that he had been holding on to for her. When he broke away the kiss, Ebrille pulled the little statuette from his pocket. There was a shy grin on his face as he held it out to her.

"T-this is a crane. And I know it might be really soon and everything but I really like you and I'd like you to hold on to this as a promise from me and if it creeps you out then you can not keep it and pretend this didn't happen but I want you to keep it because..." Ebrille took a deep breath, realizing that he was rambling. His cheeks darkened. "Uhm. Cranes mate for life. And I'd like you to keep that so maybe you'll think of going steady with me and maybe if you like me, then eventually..." Ebrille caught himself. "I know that this is probably really sudden and way too soon for you, but if you'd think about it, that'd be great."

"Oh, no. I don't really know the couple to be all that well and I don't want to end up spoiling the party" Avani took a sip of her drink, curling and uncurling her toes in her socks to stretch them out "I thought that maybe you'd like to come hang out at my place tonight? The puppy dog went to go meet his girlfriend at the party so I have the apartment to myself for once."

Avani headed back over to the couch and grabbed the remote off the coffee table to turn on some low music. She hadn't had Jacqui over to her apartment yet, mostly because she was worried that Ebrille would cling to her in his usual fashion and give Jacqui the wrong message but also partly because she'd never had anyone over to her apartment before. It was new and strange for her and it had taken her a while to become accustomed to this idea.

"I mean, if that's all right with you. We could watch movies or something....?"

Van was stumbling over her words, and it was clear that Ebrille could tell. She was trying to tell him that it was important for him to listen, that she was going to have his child and she wanted to make sure that he was the one for her even though she had no doubts that he was. She opened her mouth to say something but Ebrille cut her short, their lips meeting softly, her hands resting on his chest.

A frown crossed her face as Ebrille pulled away, their lips separating but she couldn't help but giggle when she saw his shy smile. He was up to something, that much she could tell as she looked over his face. Her eyes widened as he presented a small crane statuette and explained it to her. She felt her eyes begin to tear up and she nodded quickly, "Of course Ebrille, of course I'd love to go steady with you!" She chuckled, wiping away at her cheek where a tear had rolled down, "I accept this as a token of our...togetherness...I only wish I'd have something to give you!" She cried out, finding a napkin to dab her eyes with, her thoughts of pregnancy completely pushed aside.

She grasped the crane statuette in her hands and looked at it closely, it was a symbol for how he felt about her and it felt good. She quickly placed the statuette into her purse and wrapped her arms around Ebrille's shoulders and pressed her lips against his, pouring her entire heart out into the one small action.

[bg=#42526C][DASH=#CAE1FF]Jon smiled as Vincent responded favorable to his joke, he was a bit worried it wouldn't go over well. "No, you're the gorgeous one." He smiled, grabbing Vince's shoulder and spinning him around and pinning him to the sink and leaning in to kiss him.

When he pulled away he smiled. "Well, now that we've gotten to the party what say we say hi to some people and head home? It seems like April has gotten herself under control and I don't think we're really needed around here." He shrugged, even though he loved how Vincent looked all dressed up, all he really wanted to do was head to home and cuddle up next to the fire and watch a movie together.
[/dash][/bg]

[dash=gray]
"Sounds good to me," Vincent replied with a grin. He wasn't familiar with the celebrated couple, so he wasn't too interested in staying. Being dressed up with Jon was a joy, though. Especially when it led to some fun later on. The provocative thoughts made his simple smile transform into more of a mischievous smirk, his mind already beginning to wander. Vince was not distracted for too long, however. The excitement outside, and the atmosphere of a bathroom, didn't allow him to get lost in his own little world.

"Let's go then," he suggested, holding out a hand to Jon after pushing himself away from the sink. "We can say some hellos and then make our escape."

[/dash]

The offer was a bit surprising for Jacqui. Usually, Avani wouldn't let her come over because of her roommate. Which was understandable. Privacy was a wonderful freedom, but even more wonderful when you didn't have the eyes of other tenants on you. The past few days, she considered inviting Avani to move in her with her. She missed being able to share a living space with somebody. There was not a friend in the world she could trust to live with her, though. She really needed to work on gaining some quality friendships. For now, all she had and all she needed was Avani.

"Yeah, that sounds awesome. I'll be right over," Jacqui answered without a second thought. To save time, she slipped on a pair of sandals by her front door instead of spending a few minutes on lacing up her boots. With her phone still held up to her ear, she grabbed her coat and was already setting out to meet her girlfriend at her home.

"Should I pick up anything while I'm out? I know of some stores and movie rental places that stay open on holidays."

Van's response to Ebrille's enthusiastic ramblings was better than Ebrille could have hoped for before she'd answered. Ebrille grinned broadly from ear to ear, wrapping his arms around Van's waist as she kissed him. He was pleased to see the crane statuette grasped firmly in her hand. Ebrille's life seemed to have taken a completely turn since he'd met Van, he thought contentedly as their kiss ended. He couldn't wait to tell Avani, she was always so disparaging of his sad relationships and how he was treated.

"You look really beautiful tonight, by the way" Ebrille told Van, still holding her close to him in a protective grasp. Ebrille nuzzled his face against Van's hair, almost delirious with happiness. He was worried that this might be just a wonderful dream, since this seemed radically different from the relationships that he had experienced before. He knew that at some point, he was going to have to let Van out of his hug but he worried still that this was somehow some kind of cruel joke upon him.

"I'm really happy that you came, I was hoping something had come up and that's why you weren't answering or anything..."​

"Oh, uhm. Yeah, thank you, Jacqui. I didn't even think of that. It would be really great if you could grab a movie or two and maybe something to eat on the way!" Avani was smiling into the phone, happy that Jacqui would have thought of these things to avoid anything being awkward. Avani was trying to think of what specifically to have Jacqui pick up but nothing particular came to mind. Instead, she decided to use it as a way to figure out what sorts of things Jacqui liked.

"You can just get whatever sounds good to you!" Avani propped her feet up on the armrest and she laid her head back on a pillow, the phone still stuck to her ear. "Do you need directions to get here?" She stuck the tip of her index finger into the tea and spun it around a little bit before sucking on it. She hoped that Ebrille wasn't stewing in crushing despair or something right now.