Kadic Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Super strength and durability. Very impressive." Kyra nodded as she sat down against the tree trunk. "I'm an elementist. " she shrugged. She gave an answer without openly displaying everything. She figured this was a fair answer. She wasn't against telling people here powers. But she liked to know them better first. "So you're what year?" She asked Ellie, trying to get to know a little more about her.

"3rd year, unfortunately." Ellie replied, frowning slightly. 3rd year out of 5. The time she had spent here seemed like an eternity, and it made her wonder just how jaded she'd be when she reached her 5th year. Ellie pulled out another cigarette, lighting it up and taking a long drag from it. After a few moments of silence, Ellie spoke up once more, "So, I got wind of a rumor that there's some big announcement that the Dean is planning on making today, in the courtyard. Apparently it's something huge." Ellie didn't have many people that she could actually converse with, so the juicy information she had picked up had been welling up in her the entire day she had been at school, begging her to tell anyone about it.

"Is that like you hate it here and wish you were done kindeal of unfortunately? Or you don't want to be another year closer to graduating?" Kyra wasn't sure how to take Ellie so she kept slowly digging for insights. "Is that so? What time and any idea what it's about? Wouldn't want to miss it." Kyra was surprised to be gossiping with another student. It was far from the norm for her.

"It's more of hating the fact that I'm wasting away here. I don't even really wanna be a hero." Ellie replied, as she finished the last of her cigarette, stomping it out onto the ground, "I have no idea. It's suppose to be later in the day, but apparently it's something pretty important." Ellie replied as she stood up off of the rock she sat on. Stretching slightly, feeling restless more than anything, she glanced around absently, "We could head to the courtyard, right now, if you wanted, to make sure we catch it. I didn't mind missing it, but on second thought, I'm kinda interested."

"Not a hero huh? That's a first." Kyra stood as Ellie did and dusted off her jeans. "Yeah. We can head to the courtyard but only if you tell me the story behind the tattoos on the way?" Kyra said with an encouraging grin, hoping it wasn't a personal topic. Because you never know. Kyra stepped back towards the path that would take them back to campus. "Or you could show me how you jump from tree to tree.." Kyra's grin widened like a kid about to be shown a new trick. She was hoping Ellie could tell that Kyra wasn't nosy and just a little curious. Even though she definitely sounded nosy.

"How about I do both?" Ellie replied, with a slightly devious grin as she bent her knees down in front of Kyra, allowing the girl to obviously jump on her back. "Get on, and I'll show you how crazy the ride really gets. You'll get addicted to tree hopping." She added, letting out a slight chuckle. Ellie knew she probably shouldn't go as fast as she goes. She would work herself into such a momentum, that often she could cover the whole forested woods in an hour or so, which was saying something, "I'll tell you about these dumb things on the way." Ellie shook her arms, indicating towards her tattoos.

"You're serious.?" Kyra could barely contain her excitement as she climbed onto Ellie's back. "This is insane." Kyra laughed, bracing herself for the ride. She couldn't believe she was about to practically fly through the forest. "Now about those dumb things..." she left her comment hanging so Ellie could pick up the story.

Ellie reached around, grabbing Kyra's thighs, in order to hold the ride-a-long better to her. Ellie couldn't afford to drop the girl she just met, "Hang on." Ellie's tone seemed a bit too playful. Ellie jumped up and forward, this time with a substantial amount of strength. Ellie, and Kyra backpacking on her, leaped easily over 12 feet into the air, landing on a branch on a nearby tree. As soon as her feet touched the bark of the branch, the duo were once more propelled through the air onto another. Without much preamble, or care for Kyra's excitement/fear, Ellie started into the explanation of her tattoos, "My right arm is mainly filled with gang tattoos. I run with a group of people back in Oakland. I think they are kinda a joke, but I used to take the whole gang thing seriously." Ellie's tone seemed to incline that she was somewhat embarrassed about them. She nodded to a depiction of a river, that flowed down her arm, through most of sleeve, "That was my first one. In all honesty, I got most of them on my right arm because I could. I don't have a real story for them." Ellie once more kicked off another branch, sailing through the air as she explained her tattoos, "My left arm is mainly my newer tattoos, some of it is actually from a parlor in Wilson Creek." Ellie went out, glancing down at her left arm, and the various colorful artwork. The largest tattoo depicted a woman, athletic in body, tall, and slender, wearing a one piece super hero costume with a half-cape. The woman didn't look much different than Ellie. On the chest was an emblem, which emblazoned in colorful red ink was 'DG'. "That was the one I got when I first got to Kadic. I used to be pretty stoked about being a hero. It was my first costume idea, too." Ellie's voice trailed off slightly as the duo sailed from branch to branch, obviously struck with the waves of nostalgia. All of a sudden, Ellie gripped Kyra tighter, making sure she was secure, "Now, get ready!" Ellie suddenly shouted out. Once Ellie hit the next branch, her knees bent, and rapidly shot up, launching the pair in a 90 degree angle. Through the leafy tops of the forest trees, the duo blasted. Ellie and Kyra were now well over the cover of the tree tops, higher than any building or tree for miles. The campus was completely visible, along with most of the forested hills, and even a lake far in the distance. Ellie let out a excited 'Wooooo' as the two of them seemed to suspend in the air for the longest time. Before lone, the duo came back down, and Ellie went back to the almost rhythmic jumping from tree branch to tree branch.

"Eeeekk" Kyra let out a shriek of fear and excitement as Ellie jumped for the first branch. And then was immediately going to the next. "A gang huh? You seem to nice for that." Her words came out a little slow as she was trying to catch her breath. Kyra clung to Ellie a little tighter just to be sure she wouldn't fall. "So what happened to being a hero? And what's the DG stand for?" Ellie seemed to be open enough so Kyra thought she'd go for a little more information. By now her breath had evened out and she was thoroughly enjoying the ride. This would be an awesome power to have. As Ellie took them on a particularly large jump Kyra let out another yell that was quickly followed by laughing. This was great. She looked out over the treetops that zoomed by and could see everything. This would make a great drawing. She'd have to talk to Ellie about bringing her back up here sometime.

Ellie let out the faintest of smiles, as Kyra protested the fact that Ellie seemed far too nice to be a member of a gang. As the duo neared the campus grounds, Ellie hopped from her current branch, landing on the ground with a loud thud. Smiling, at Kyra's questions, Ellie began to respond, "Well, when you go through some of the things I have, and seen some of the things I have, the romanticized ideal of a hero seems dumb." Ellie waited for Kyra to get herself gather, and recover, from their escapade, before making a slow walk to the campus grounds, and onto the courtyard, "DG stands for Danger Girl. It's still my hero name, or whatever, I haven't really gotten around to changing it." Ellie let out a sheepish chuckle, "Don't make fun of me, I know it's stupid." Ellie continued the walk towards the courtyard, down the same path that not too long ago that Drew and Casey both walked along.

Kyra let out a breath as she placed her feet on the ground. "Rough life then. That's too bad. You would probably make a good hero. But Danger Girl. That's not a bad name. I'd suggest changing it to Danger Woman or something. But it suits you." She nodded at Ellie as the made their way into the campus courtyard. Kyra looked around at the the other students milling about, waving to some she knew. She turned back to Ellie ready to launch into her next interrogation question. "So those cigarettes. Don't they frown upon that around here?" Kyra kept pace with Ellie as she looked for a place to sit. A withering flower bed came to life again as she passed. She hadn't done it on purpose and thus barely noticed the affect she was having on many of the plants around her.

"That's why I only smoke in the forest." Ellie responded, giggling slightly as she did. Ellie didn't notice the evidence of Kyra's power as the two of them continued on to the courtyard, evidently to tied up in thinking about the important announcement that was about to happen, "You're right. Danger Woman sounds a bit better, or even Danger Bitch." Ellie was just making coy conversation at this point, evident by her soon to follow laugh. Eventually the pair reached the courtyard, filled with students, and amazingly it seemed that the beginnings of the announcement were already starting up. The population of the courtyard was already numerous, and an elevated platform had just been placed by, what appeared to be, two superpowered students with super strength -- no doubt for the Dean to stand on to dictate to the student body. Ellie let out a slightly annoyed sigh, as she walked closer to the ever growing population of students.

Drew and Casey stood near the edge of the courtyard, watching as students flooded in from all sides. The PA systems had only announced minutes ago that their was an announcement to be made, personally by the Dean, but it seemed as if half the student body had already showed up. Glancing around, at the incoming students, a strange, and rather eccentric, girl caught his eye. Definitely someone who was into punk culture, at least by Drew's opinion. However, next to the punk girl, was also the weird girl he had saw before, sitting on the edge of the forest. Drew repressed the nerve to say something smartass to Casey about how weird they were, but his gaze still lingered.

Kyra couldn't help but laugh at Ellie's comment. "I like that. It's good." She continued to giggle a little. Then she heard Ellie's sigh. "Not much for crowds?" She asked. Kyra did quick scan of the area. She noted the platform and the numerous kids finding places to sit. She noted the fountain to the left of the stage was mostly empty as most kids were fighting for seats in the front. So Kyra touched Ellie's arm and nodded in the direction of the fountain. She took a few steps that way and added "As long as you don't mind the chance of getting a little wet." She grinned teasingly and continued toward the fountain.

"Not much for the people that make up this crowd." Ellie retorted, with a slight grimace. Ellie dutifully followed Kyra, and at Kyra's joke, Ellie let loose a goofy grin, but decline a reply. Ellie had only a handful of friends around campus, all of them that she made during her first year, however. She had almost forgotten what it was like to find a new friend, and hit it off so quickly. Ellie took a seat right on the edge of the fountain. Ellie had become pretty familiar with the courtyard, but rarely spent anytime here, as her appearance often attracted attention she preferred not to have. Ellie glanced over at Kyra, and smirked, "Really can't believe I haven't seen you 'til now."

Drew tore his glance away from the two girls, and back to the platform, where faculty were now gathering at the bottom of. It didn't take long before the moment arrived where the Dean ascended the steps. The Dean cut a fit figure, relatively young looking for his age, he didn't not appear as the Dean of a university. Wearing a very nice business suit, Mr. Ramirez stepped behind the podium to address the crowd. Drew leaned forward slightly with eagerness. He had no idea what the announcement would be about, but by the talk of it, it was going to be something huge.

Louis clear his throat, before speaking up into the podium's microphone, "Welcome, students, to another year at Kadic Academy!" He started off, grinning brightly as he scanned over the gathered student's, "Normally, I would wait for the first official day of school before welcoming our students, but we have an important announcement that concerns the next two days of our school." Louis' grin slightly failed as he glanced back at his faculty, before turning back to the waiting students, "As a way to showcase our student's abilities to those that grade the Hero Evaluation system, as well as promote unity and and new relationships, Kadic Academy will be hosting a School-wide tournament. The activities start tomorrow, after we have filled the 40-person bracket. The winner of the tournament will get a chance to meet, and have dinner with, S Class heroes, along with earning the pride of our school. The tournament has been personally crafted, and suggested to me, by Professor Salazar." Louis looked down towards the enigmatic, and slightly dangerous looking Professor, before returning his attention to the school, "Signups will be in the office. Out of all the signups, 40 will be chosen randomly to participate in the tournament. The only restriction, is that no 1st year students will be allowed to participate, for safety reasons."

As the Dean finished his announcement, and left the platform, followed by several faculty members also leaving, the student body rumbled to life. Most talked excitedly to one another, obviously very into the idea of a tournament, while others could be heard scoffing and seen exiting the courtyard. Drew shook his head and frowned. The only chance he'd have to showcase himself to the student body, and it was sniped out from under him. Looking around, many other students also shared this disappointment.

Immediately as the Dean left, Ellie glanced over to Kyra, searching for what Kyra thought of the situation. Ellie, herself, seemed slightly surprised, if not take aback, by the announcement. The idea of a tournament was a fascinating idea, one that appealed to Ellie, but not in front of the entire student body, and in front of people that would be judging her constantly.

"I know. You'd think we would have crossed paths in the woods by now." Kyra shook her head and shrugged. She quieted down to hear the announcement as the Dean took the stage. She listened patiently to all the details before really forming an opinion. A tournament..She wasn't exactly sure what to think about it. She could definitely see the appeal. A chance to show off a little. Potentially make an impression on everyone that would be placing them in their ranks. She didn't have many friends so the possibility of having to compete against someone she actually liked was slim. But did she really want to perform parlor tricks for these people? Kyra wasn't sure yet. She turned to Ellie with considering look on her face. "Well that's interesting. It definitely has the other students in an uproar." She nodded towards the masses of excited kids, eagerly forming plans. "What do you think?"

"I think it'd be fun to compete, and fight around with other students." Ellie responded, but a look of concern stayed on her face, "I'm just wondering what will happen when someone takes it to far and seriously hurts someone." Ellie added, standing up from the fountain. Ellie held out her hand, for Kyra to take to help her up off the fountain, "Well, what do you think about signing up?" Ellie was strong, and she knew that, and she was sure Kyra could hold her own. The issue was, she knew that she wasn't even close to the strongest individual on the campus. She knew a handful of people that could smoke her if they went all-out.

"Hmmm.." Kyra continued to consider as she let Ellie pull her up. "It could be fun. But you're right. Potentially dangerous. I guess it comes down to if you think you'd stand a chance if someone decided to really get after it." She headed down a path in no particular direction as she continued to ponder. "I'd have to find out where it's all being held because if I don't have access to something tied to earth I'd be screwed. I'm good in a fight but could only do so much against someone with powers. Think you'll sign up?" She asked as she looked over at Ellie. She thought Ellie should go for it. And would say as much if Ellie decided not to. It might bring back some of her love for being a hero. As Kyra focused on her surroundings she heard many students saying they'd definitely be signing up and of course the ever present cocky people claiming they'd be the champs. "Wonder if the 40 will actually be random.." She added as an afterthought.

Ellie scoffed, as Kyra mentioned the 40 random members, "I doubt it. They'll probably be handpicked." Ellie replied. Even though she had no made an official decision, Ellie made her way towards the offices, the same place a slew of students were now making their way to. "Probably. It'd be a good way to release some pent-up energy." Ellie smiled as the pair walked towards the offices. "Yeah, I wonder where they'll hold all of these fights. I know the underground training facilities has an actual arena, with a dirt flooring, but I don't know if they'll use that." Ellie said, trying her best to picture where they would hold these fights. As the two entered the offices, it appeared the first person in the line was David Lewis. The Student President. Flanked on either side by a handful of girls and guys, David could be seen writing his name on to the bulletin board, where a huge white paper with about 180 blank lines resided. Ellie sighed as she spotted David, "Of course he'd be signing up for this stupid shit." Ellie commented quietly, repressing a heavy sigh.

"You're probably right. Can't let an opportunity like this go to waste." Kyra shook her head as she headed to the offices with Ellie. " underground arena. That would work." She nodded her head really considering this. As the saw David signing up Kyra couldn't help but scoff along with Ellie. "Well of course he is. It's a chance to prove he's 'big and bad'" Kyra used air quotes around 'big and bad' and then chuckled a little. "I'm going to go ask about the arena. You should wait in line. Sign up." Kyra encouraged with a nod. Before she went to find someone in charge.
She saw the Dean talking to a few teachers and stood by a minute before interrupting. "I'm sorry to interrupt sir. But could you tell me where the competitions will be held?"

Ellie failed to stifle a chuckle, as Kyra poked fun at the Student President, "Right, but if I sign up, you better sign up as well." Ellie said, with a wink, as she jumped in line. Before long, David stepped out of line, signing his name. Him and his procession made their way out of the offices, drawing more than a few glances. David, despite all the popularity, wasn't really a verbose individual, but it was evident, at least to Ellie, that it was all a show to appear as a mysterious badass. She had done training before with David, in her 2nd year. While David's full portfolio of powers was not known, Ellie herself knew it at least included fire manipulation/creation, along with super strength and durability that even surpassed Ellie's. She remembered the training session they had, as part of a class, very well. While the rest of the students were told to keep it hushed, and not to say anything about it, small words got out about it. Ellie had walked away with a broken hand, bruised and battered, and David had walked away with little more than a bruise. He was what the Heroing world called an 'Alpha Hero'. A hero that has several strong abilities that make them nearly unstoppable. Ellie was fairly certain he was the only one of his type at Kadic, but knew of a couple that were registered heroes. Ellie frowned at the thought of having to fight David, again.

As Louis finished with a student, a voice spoke next to him, calling for his attention. With the every friendly smile of a appeasing bureaucrat, Louis turned towards Kyra, "Well, hello......Kyra!" It took a moment for Louis to recall the student's name, but he worked well to remember as many details, and names, of his students as possible -- which was something he prided himself on, "Of course, Kyra. The first of the rounds will be held in currently undisclosed locations, but the near the end of the tournament, the last rounds will be held in the underground arena." Louis replied, with his ever cordial smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.