Just Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naoki sat down and studied Karmin. "You know, you're a beautiful woman," he said softly, as though unsure of his words. He didn't really want to scare her off. "I just wanted to be able to talk to you, just once. I don't expect anything, if you're worried about that." He grinned at her, a soft and inviting grin. "But I am curious about you. You look like you've seen a lot, but you're only about my age... At least, I would assume so..."

Karmin smiled at the compliment. "I am only twenty-two. I have been through a lot, yes. My father left my mother and I when I was ten. After that, my mom turned to drugs as her vice and I had to learn to take care of myself. My mom wouldn't buy groceries or anything so I was stuck getting handouts, or sometimes having to steal a meal. Other times I would have to dig in the trash behind restaurants for any kind of scraps I could find. Then when I was fifteen I saw that one of the strip clubs were hiring. So I filled out an application, lying about my age of course. My mom didn't care about anything that I did, half the time she didn't even come home. So sense I was working, I was able to take care of myself. I graduated high school on my own accord as well. I paid for it all."

She had tears in her eyes from all the memories of hurt and shame. She didn't know why she was being so open with Naoki, she didn't even know him. But he said he wanted to know her, and it felt good to finally just let it all out. Karmin took another bite of food and then a drink of water as Naoki seemed to be taking in all of her given information.

Reaching over, Naoki put a hand on Karmin's and smiled. "You really have struggled." He rubbed his thumb over her arm, and then pulled back to eat a little more.

"A couple years back, my mom got sick and then my dad left us. We had no money, no way of taking care of ourselves, so... I dropped out of college to get a job. I pick up wallets and stuff at the subway, for extra cash," he said softly, his voice low. "I didn't have nearly as hard of a time as you have... but I understand."

Karmin smiled; his touch startled her a bit, however she got butterflies in her stomach. Naoki looked like he came from such a well-rounded family, she would have never guessed that he had some struggles of her own. It was awful that he takes care of his sick mother. "It is nice to be able to talk to someone." She looked up to see him looking at her, she tilted her face away so the bruise on her cheek was less visible. "I just want you to know, that I am not a sterotypical stripper. I have a troubled past, but I don't look to other vises to cure my pain. I make a lot of money doing it, that is my only reason." She felt the need to let him know purely because she knew he wanted to get to know her. She usually didn't care what others thought and she would let them assume what they would, but she didn't want him thinking bad things about her. She had finally found a friend in this cruel world and she wasn't about to give that up.

As they were finishing up, Karmin looked at the clock. It is time to go, if we don't leave now, you are going to be late to work. She grabbed the reciept that the waitress had left for them during their chat and walked up to the counter. She paid the bill and came back to the table and laid down a $5 bill. "Lets go." Karmin said with a smile.

"I would have paid," Naoki said as she returned to the table. He lifted the five, handing it back and getting into his own wallet to pull out a five of his own. "I did, after all, ask you to meet me."

Standing, he offered a smile. "I'll walk you out," he joked, as though he were hosting in his own home. He bowed a little and gave an exaggerated wave towards the door.

Karmin put the five back in her purse and she shook her head at him placing a five on the table. She laughed at his bow and his gesture toward the door. They walked out and he held the door open for her. Such a gentleman. She gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I had a great time. Thank you; I needed this."

Blushing, Naoki smiled shyly over the kiss. "It was my pleasure. I, uh, hope to see you around. Sometime." He gave a short bow, and then turned and hurried down the street to get to the bakery for his shift.

Even if he never saw her again, at least he got the chance to know her. Just this once.

Status
Not open for further replies.