Just how reliable are Internet Quotes anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
LLynP8k.jpg

So. I'm gonna show y'all something fun I stumbled on while fucking about in Google Chrome's HTML code. I'm hardly the first to notice this. Or do this. So, you know, let me show you how to make a 100% fabricated quote, without photoshop, that looks 100% as though the original user posted it.

Yes, I am kind of evil. Before anyone inevitably says that... But at least I'm the kind of evil teaching you how evil works, so I'm not really evil, am I?

All you have to do is highlight someone's post, and then right click on it and click "inspect." Then go to the section of HTML responsible for containing the text itself, and modify it. No, really, it's that simple.

TkbOALx.jpg

"Oh, silly Brovo! That's just Iwaku! Surely, Twitter and other social media giants are safe from such a simple trick!"

sDYVOj2.jpg

Here's a rule of thumb. If someone gives you a picture to stare at with text on it, realize that editing that text is painfully easy. I can use the site's same font, same text size, same text colour, and keep it within the same borders. I could even expand that twitter message box to accommodate a larger message. It's not hard.

So next time you see a quote block message in an image format from a twitter post or other form of social media, and the quote in question looks fucking insane? Ask for a citation or look for it yourself. Because I can't actually edit what's there server side. Go ahead, look for yourself, the messages are fine. I can't touch those. I'm just a script kiddie, not some fucking uberlord Chinese hacker. I can only edit my client copy... But I can make it look as real as the actual thing with minimal effort.

So, you know, beware what you see. Because my captions are obviously insane and trolling and wrong, but it's not hard to spew propaganda and defame people using catchy pictures on the Internet. God knows there's enough of them floating out there about politicians which people have bought into time and again. :ferret:

Suddenly I have a strong urge to play "two truths and a lie" with screencaps of Ringo Starr's tweets...

Reactions: Brovo
WELP I WENT AND DID IT

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%2010.20.16%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%209.54.31%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%2010.05.16%20PM.png

TWO OF THESE ARE 100% LEGIT TWEETS FROM FORMER BEATLE RINGO STARR. ONE OF THEM WAS COMPLETELY MADE UP BY YOURS TRULY. CAN YOU SPOT THE FAKE???

• Love
NEXT BATCH!!

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%209.51.12%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%209.54.50%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%2010.55.22%20PM.png

And this will probably be the last one before I derail Brovovov's thread any further. Eheheh... ^^"

• Love
If you're the lazy type like me, there's a simpler solution.

If on Chrome, make a bookmark with
Code:
javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0
as the url, and click on it while on a page. That page is now editable. You can change text, copy and paste images, whatever the hell you want.

Here's an example I did a while ago:
gMRWk1E.jpg

Though I guess I forgot to turn off the spell-check's red underlining.

It's kinda scary.

I mean, it's funny as jokes and pranks and what not, but if someone had a real vendetta... o.o Yup.

Well now that we have the PSA people are aware of it.

Though expect my trolling with this to spike.

NEXT BATCH!!

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%209.51.12%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%209.54.50%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-17%20at%2010.55.22%20PM.png

And this will probably be the last one before I derail Brovovov's thread any further. Eheheh... ^^"
derp_zps7d4eee7d.png
No one feels like taking a guess as to which one is the fake...?

Status
Not open for further replies.