Junkyard Earth [OOC]

D

Dusty Trails

Original poster
Junkyard Earth
hwy58scrapyard02.jpg
Thousands of years ago (maybe, nobody has bothered to count) civilization on Earth just kind of... Collapsed. Nobody knows why, but nowadays it doesn't matter much. In the Now, humans live in nomadic tribes and small villages built in the ruins of this Junkyard Earth.
You are one such human. You've grown up among the scrap hills and the dead forests and and the barren plains. You've seen the strange peoples of the the Junkyard Earth and "weird" has become the status quo. You've heard stories from the scavengers about all sorts of things, from the Old Guard that defend the ruins of the Old World to the mutants and witches that make a living of their own in the wilds. From tribes of cannibals that worship strange monoliths to amazing technologies from the old world and possibly even beyond.
You grew up as all children do, and now you're a scavenger yourself. You and your crew scour the wastes for anything you can barter for your food and drink.
You're barely making it, just enough scrap and loot to get by. You and your crew have had doubts, hell a few of you have given it up. But you persevered for whatever reason, maybe you thought that things would start looking up more, or maybe you just saw no other option.
Well whatever reason it is you stayed around, you're starting to think it wasn't such a bad idea. Your crew might've just gotten it's big find, though you honestly have no idea what the hell it is or what it does. Once you've got that figured out though, you're sure you'll be set for the rest of your scavenging career!
If only you knew how much trouble it would bring...
---​
Heya, welcome to my first semi-organized roleplay! Even got a story in mind. :p The rules here are simple, pretty much he standard expected in any other RP. Don't be rude to the other players, don't godmode, don't go killing off other characters, yadda yadda. If you want to bring in some big change or event or an important character, then make sure you bring it up here first! If you wanna join, fill out a sheet below and I'll get around to approving it!
As for posting requirements, I'm not too stingy. I'd prefer something to the tune of 1 or 2 paragraphs per post, maybe a third if you're feeling up to it.

Also, it's assumed our characters are at least a little bit familiar with each other and are all part of this same scavenging crew in the beginning.

Name:
Sex:
(I only want a brief backstory that you can elaborate on IC. Gotta get that character development going!)
Appearance:
Equipment:

Thousands of years ago (maybe, nobody has bothered to count) civilization on Earth just kind of... Collapsed. Nobody knows why, but nowadays it doesn't matter much. In the Now, humans live in nomadic tribes and small villages built in the ruins of the world. The Earth is, as the title suggests, essentially a giant junkyard. Rolling hills of scrap and plains of trash. Mountains of broken machinery and useless garbage. The Junkyard Earth. It's not without dangers, though. Mutants, witches, the robots of the Old Guard, cannibals, bandits, and whatever else might want to ruin your day.

Most people in the Junkyard Earth live in villages or in nomadic tribes, scavenging what they can. Some make scavenging bands and go out to find what they can, or adventurers delve into ruins in search of the greatest treasures. Others just take what they want and resort to banditry, and a few decide that cannibalism is a good way to nourish themselves.

Not everything in the Junkyard Earth originated on Earth though, as it would seem. Occasionally strange things get dug up. Robots, though much more advanced looking that the rusty and decaying Old Guard. Technology even the most skilled Technopaths can't figure out.

Nowadays, people worship anything from the animal-headed gods of the old world to the sun. Religions always seem to be popping up and disappearing. Cults around particularly interesting pieces that get dug up, churches based round some crazed man's ideal, worshipers of people claiming to be gods.

The technology that's actually functioning and commonplace has kind of regressed. The most common method of lighting is the torch, and if you want to travel fast you probably want to find a horse or some other animal to pull a cart. Don't expect them to follow you off the roads and paths though.

It's common to see men wielding swords and bows, or an unreliable but powerful 'firelock' gun, or maybe a dart throwing crank gun. Proper, functioning modern guns are not a sight that most people see. A few groups do have more 'advanced' weapons though, including makeshift shock weapons or even crude flamethrowers.

Names should also be kind of... Weird. Take names from products and famous people or other weird sources. For example, my character is named Exclamation Point, and my friend is gonna be Top Kek. Seriously, that's his name. Other examples are Nintendo Tharp and Oneone Zero from the Mortal Engines/Fever Crumb series, which inspired this quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Name: Top Kek
Sex: Male
Backstory: Kek, as he prefers being called, was born in a small hamlet, meeting the other scavengers at a semi-younger age. He thinks of himself as a bit of a Renaissance man (not in those words, he has no idea what the Renaissance is), and a source of old knowledge and tricks. He knows that the little black boxes with the metal studs on them, when touched with the stiff metal-y strings, will hurt whatever the strings touch (Batteries, copper, and electricity), as well as that you can take a tinder-twig, find some of the clear, horrible-smelling liquid, and rub the tinder twig against the stuff to make fire! (Matches and gas). For these random reasons, Kek was thought of as a child prodigy in his hamlet, though he didn't exactly let the ego go to his head, as all his time was focused on 'research.'
Appearance: Kek is a wiry, athletic young man, of average height, standing at around 5'10. His hair is long, slightly messy, and oily brown, usually swept to the side for sight. He has a slim, semi-masculine face, with light green eyes. Kek wears a mess of leather, laced into a shirt, trousers, shoes, and gloves, with burlap taking over for his coat, hood, socks, and bandanna. Two colorful lenses of glass have been taped to stiff silver wire, which Kek wears like glasses. No real effect.
Equipment: Kek uses a myriad of weapons that he's made over the years, including a wooden truncheon, studded with small iron studs, a length of metal, sharpened on one end into a point, then wrapped with old electrical tape around the other end, and a dense steel spray canister, which Kek has taken the liberty of filling with old Pre-Collapse bug poison and cleaning fluids.

aAb5xKs.jpg
K5oXX6K.jpg

I am very much interested in this RP, but I noticed you said in the interest-check thread you posted that you expect one to two paragraph posts. I am new to forum rp (I'm used to DnD and WoW rp), and although I definitely don't do one-liners or two sentences for a post, I also don't exactly write two paragraph posts, either. If you can tolerate that, as well as my noobishness, would I be able to sign up? I'm really excited about this rp - it's exactly the kind of world I have been looking to be a part of!

That's cool, Amberlin :D I came out of D&D roleplaying too, and if you need some help I can try to drop a few tips. I'll admit I'm not really the best writer either though ^ ^;
I think you'll be able to get the hang of it :)

Oh wow, totally forgot my sheet xD Let's hop on that.

Name: Exclamation Point
Sex: Female
Background: Exclamation (or sometimes Point) was born to be a scavenger. She grew up with her constantly on the move father. They made a living on trade, repair, and minor scavenging. Exclamation says her true home is the Junkyard beyond the cities, and is restless in one place. Her father taught her how to tinker with machinery, big and small, then disappeared into the wastes.
Now, as the impromptu leader of this band of scavengers, Exclamation plans to make her big break... If only things were working their way.
Appearance: A tan skinned woman with her black dreads tied back. She has brown eyes. Exclamation stands at around 5'7 and has some muscle. She has a few little scars on her face from various cuts and scrapes.
She wears a tanker helmet, heavy duty boots, a jacket lined with fur, and patchwork pants, sewn from several rags. She also wears her backpack with her toolbox clipped to it.
Equipment: Exclamation carries a wrench on her belt, as well as a toolbox filled with tools for random fixes. Slung over her shoulder is a crank gun and around 15 bolts for it on her belt. Exclamation has half a pair of binoculars in her bag, as well as some random junk and spare parts. She also carries a metal "fire-box" (or a lighter in our terms) her father gave her on a chain around her neck.

Name: Cykratho Orannan
Sex:
Yes please Male
Background: Raised in a nomadic village, and was obsessed with learning about the Old Earth, joined the group, seeing it as a perfect opportunity to. (And he DOES care about what the thing we found does!)
Appearance: 5'11, and skinny from lack of much food. Has messy, brown hair, and brown eyes, any facial hair is covered by a weird, battered mask. All of his cloths have random bits of cloth stitched over any rips.
Equipment: Needle and thread
, cloth, "Mini-Mini shortsword" (a.k.a pocket knife) Nail gun. (loaded with 17, rusty nails.) Mini category: Clothes: broken gas mask, with the lense smashed off. Hoodie, "Pants of storage" (cargo pants) Rags tied around feet and hands. A small, leather backpack.

Name:Natalia Solotov
Sex:Female
Background:
she was raise in a small grupe of like 3 were kinda Nomadic,one of the grupe was a elder and he us too tell Natalia storys of Giant metal Birds(Planes) and Potatos that explode (Grenades)and people that use too carry sticks that Spit metal at Light speed (Fire Arms) but that all change one night,Wen she fell asleep and the next day she woke up...they were all gone,she was alone,dint know were the grupe went at all and good thing they left some things,as she survive for herself she came along a Grupe and she was lucky too....maybe she can call them her new famili

Appearance:6.2 FT tall woman,Slightly Pale,Dark long brown Hair she trys too keep it groom but kinda looks messy most of the time,Blue eyes,slightli round face,long limbs,Normal Built,she wears tanterd green T,aswell some pair of pants,a Basball cap,and some Military boots she found

Equipment:She has a "Ammo" As the elder told her and has a Chain with it and uses it like a necklaes (Its a 223. Round with a thin silver chain and the Bullet is still much alive),she has a small Packpack,a Rusty Machet with a Improvise wooden handel,a Rusty Tinder Box and with some Tinder in it and includes a flint and steel,and a old Canteen
6a00d83451bc4a69e20162fea3b91a970d-pi

7697961_1_l.jpg

M204_Matchet.jpg

real__223_bullet_necklace_by_kaleidoscopeeyez-d4o1vfw.jpg

Name: Dizzywink

Background: Dizzy grew up in a nomadic-type tribe, as most do in the 'Yard, moving from one area to the next, but decided to leave (she didn't really decide – she was kicked out, but she'd never admit that...) and move on to “greener” pastures. Surviving out there by yourself is a suicide wish, and Dizzy knew that, so she waited for an interesting bunch to come along and nagged her way into their group. Bet they are regretting that now!

Appearance:
80894db2-e52d-4d15-81d8-7a9bca52a535_zpsdc1cf6c9.jpg

Height-wise, Dizzy is pretty short, much like her temper. Her hair is a natural deep red, her eyes green, and her features soft. Her skin is tanned and spattered with freckles. Her clothes are ragged and dirty, and her armor is made of leather stitched together from scraps. She wears goggles to protect her eyes from sandstorms and the unforgiving sun.

Equipment: backpack, shortbow, a quiver of 19 homemade arrows, string, a crude needle made of bone, a kitchen knife, a small bent and dented steel mirror, a waterskin (don't hold it upside down – it leaks) and hotsauce stored in an old, tin canister (a family recipe – yum!)

Name: Nix Null
Background:
The eldest child of a particularly... Frisky couple, Nuxe is chid one out of 9. Two pairs of twins, and many other singles. Within her 18 years she's lived through miscarriages, stillbirths, and other hard events in which if they hadn't happened would leave her with 15 siblings rather than 9, including the triplets that only one made it. Although a more extreme example of birth control no longer available, families are often bigger these days. To her parents, Nix, child 0, was always supposed to be the most mature, meaning she was often neglected by her particularly busy parents, and had to take care of her other siblings. The world wasn't exactly built for a large family like hers and scavenging day to take care of kids her parents were too busy to take care of was breaking her down her physical and mental health. While leaving her settlement for a better land, her 2 year old sister, Judas Treize (The 13th child), caught her. Taking him with her for the long road ahead, she stole into the night, in hopes for a better life elsewhere.
Appearance:
steampunk_by_mariannainsomnia-d3zvwva.jpg
Nix Null
340e0e3e7fbc06e596c1ceb0491ccfa4.jpg
Judas Treize

Equipment: Goggles, as shown above. Warm clothes, and gloves for scavenging. Pocket knife, flint, and flask for holding water and juice. Has a messenger bag to hold her things, and a ripped and tattered dress which cloth is used to make a sling to strap Judas to her back wrapped up and safe. Many small, shiny objects like broken spoons and bent forks are laced up as unusual jewelry.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Name: Wye Fye

Background:
Wye only does what is in her best interest. The only family she remembers is a cult of strangers pushing her around and getting her to do the grunt work. She attempted to get them to respect her until the age of 15, when she finally gave up and ran away. She spent a lot of time as a drifter, hiding away in abandoned communities. She survived by asking passing groups if they had any spare resources, and coming up with some bullshit story about how her parents died or left or blah blah blah. Being alone also gave her the chance to become stealthy, and learn how not to be seen. In the few communities she's actually been a part of, she usually isn't put on the defensive lines.
The only thing that she gives a crap now about is her hair. It's what made her stick out in the crowd when she was a kid. Since the bright color adds risk to being seen, she wears a hood over it. She also wears her prized leather jacket, which is the only thing her parents gave her before they abandoned her.

Appearance:
Wye Fye is 5'4'' and has jaw length, turquoise hair. She also has a scar going down her forearm Her outfits consist of her leather jacket, a tanktop, jean pants or shorts, her backpack, and a black cloth to hide her hair.

Equipment:
Wye always has a Kakute on each hand. She also carries a 4'' blade on her belt. Again, she isn't huge on combat.

• Love
Name: Sam Song
Sex: Male

Background: He had a really easy life growing up in the wastes. Seeing as his parents were the leaders of the Twinkies Believers, a (rather) small cult that forced it's believers to procure food to the High Elders (his parents and family friends), in-turn the High Elders would pray to the Hostess Pantheon to bless the scavenging runs for another month. It was all total bullshit of course, and his family knew it. They sat atop their mighty thrones until a bunch of raiders came through and burned the "church" down, killing the whole fellowship in the process (parents included).

Not much is known about what happened to Sam Song after the fall of the Twinkies Believers. He probably followed in his parents footsteps, lying, cheating, and stealing to scrape by. But he's doing something better then his parents. Living.

Appearance:

He is about 5'6" and very thin (possibly due to being malnourished). He has a regular haircut that appears messy and jagged, his hair is a jet black with a few strands of grey hair. His face is short and narrow. He wears a dusty and ash covered tuxedo that he found in a burnt out drying machine. He has small green eyes that seem to entrance you. His voice is sorta deep, he also has some kind of accent (that most likely belongs to a looong dead language)

Equipment:

He's got a pocket watch with a small bullet hole in it, a switchblade, a pack of Twinkies, a wallet that has some pictures of family in it, a "How to speak like a gentlemen, for dumbasses" handbook, and finally a small patch of Kevlar that he has tucked into his shirt pocket.

• Love
Name: Pocari and Nissin
Sex: Males

Background: They are identical twins and very lucky to have had a very capable man for a father. He was a warrior and a leader and an extremely intelligent man in more ways that one! Unfortunately a man of that brilliance had trouble fitting in and so, the family of three lived their lives going from tribe to tribe. Never settling down for long. Now Pocari and Nissin are on their own and having as much trouble fitting into a group. They're nothing like their father, although they hope to be, so their inability to fit in is not because of some greatness but because of great strangeness. Even for the times, their creepy factor is pretty out there. It didn't help that they lived with cannibals for a time, but that would explain why their body is well developed and nourished.

Appearance: They cut each others black hair short enough to keep away from the eyes. Since they cut pieces off with a knife it looks strangely messed up in a deliberate way. For two rough looking tough guys their eyes stand out as pretty by contrast. Since they like to wear mouth masks only their eyes are visible, they're black and fully rimed with black eyelashes. They go out of their way to try and look the same, but given the limited supplies and unlikelihood of finding two of a kind pieces they don't succeed very well.

Equipment: They're good fighters and coordinate well so they have mostly stuck with embellished sticks and crude sharp metals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusty Trails
tumblr_mw06w4EMKH1rq050zo8_250.gif
tumblr_mw06w4EMKH1rq050zo3_250.gif

tumblr_n031koXqbt1s9in0mo3_250.gif
tumblr_n031koXqbt1s9in0mo6_250.gif

Name:
"My friends call my Kitty, or Kat."
Katchow Angel Number

Sex:
"Can't you tell?"
Female.

Background:
"There's not much to know..."
Katchow (Or, she prefers Kat} grew up in a small village. She lived a relatively sheltered life, her parents wanting to protect her from the things residing outside their village. Of course, this made her increasingly curious, and eventually rebellious. At the age of eleven she started sneaking away, having found a way outside of her village, and spent sometime in the surrounding Junkyards. Naturally, the things Kat found intrigued her, and she left her village more and more. What were these things? How valuable were they? Did each of these items hold an untold or forgotten story? One day while she was gone, her village was invaded by a cannibal tribe. She ran away, and never returned. For a while,Kat was all on her own, but sometime after she turned sixteen she met up with the rest of her scavenging team. Now, Katchow thinks of them as family.

Equipment:
"We scavengers don't own much."
Katchow has some sturdy black gloves, which she always has on to protect her hands. She also has a necklace, which too is always worn, that had belonged to her mother. It's very important to her, because she believes her family died during the cannibal raid.
She also picked up a bow and some arrows during her years in solitude, and has taught herself to make arrows for when she runs out. She also owns a sheath, which she keeps the arrows in.​

Last edited:
  • Love
When will this RP be starting off/how many do we need to start it?
I'm also wondering the same, because I neeeed this in my life! Didn't know I did then...but I do now.

Oh! I was busy with school stuff and homework. I think I'll be able to get up the first IC post tonight though! Probably gonna eat dinner first though.

Here's hoping this works out great! ^ ^

• Love
Hoooo Yep Yep Dusty we will wait....But i need too sleep later because of work so...I think i will post Tomorrow

Much hype, very excitement.

I cannot wait to see it up, but alas I also have school and it is already ten EST. I shall post first thing in the morning!

IT'S HAPPENING!
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/junkyard-earth.76114/
Just a note that this is before the group has found their fancy artifact, so everything is still TWO YEAR STREAK OF BAD LUCK.

Oh, and would you all prefer each of us using a color for our character, just bolding dialogue, or no fancy formatting like that?
And... Is there I way I can edit the first post and link it to the IC? Doesn't seem to give me that option.

Reactions: Amberlin