Junkies

The teacher wrote notes on the board as he explained the differences in solving two types of equations. Which types of questions were left up to recalling for later. Vivi took notes absently, only writing what he wrote and staring blankly at her paper otherwise. She glanced up to see a classmate raising his hand to answer a question. Vivi completely zoned out at that point and put her head down. There was nothing against the teacher, he was awesome, but she was not in the school-mode at the moment.

Her mind was still popping up theories about that lot... She looked up when something was slammed nearby. Everyone was staring at the door and the teacher was standing at the board, frozen mid-equation, also staring at the door. "Well, um, can anyone tell me what "x" equals?" The teacher turned toward the class and held up the chalk. Some of them raised their hands. Vivi stared at the door until someone bounced a paper ball off of her head. She narrowed her eyes and turned in her seat, only to see the annoyingly cute Angela Marquise. She waved to her well known buddy.

Vivi dropped her head back on her arms for the rest of the class until the bell rang and everyone filed out. The teacher stood by the door handing out a worksheet for homework. Vivi tried to hurry into the crowd but Angela snagged her before she got there. Thinking she could out run the star track runner was kind of stupid. "Hey, Viv!! It's been a while, huh? What have you been up to girly?" She poked Vivi's cheek for emphasis. They took a worksheet from the teacher and proceeded into the hallway. "Aw, come on, it isn't like you to be so quiet."

Vivi looked up and down the busy hall. "Do you know the boy who walked out of class?" She faced Angela and pointed her rolled up worksheet at her.

"Well, yeah! That was the loner, Frederick...Frederick... Well his name is Frederick. He isn't involved in any sports- and I know because I know people from every sports in the school! What about him?"

"Help me find him." Vivi grabbed her wrist and dragged her through the crowd.

Luna fled from her English classroom and hurried to reach her next class. The last thing she wanted was to run into Ben again. But when she accidently ran into someone, she looked up, and realize it was Ben.

He smirked down at her. "We like to run into each other don't we?"

She scowled at him. "Shut up." She started to walk around him, but he grabbed her arm. She tried to jerk away but he had too tight of a grip. "What's your problem?"

He didn't say anything for a minute. "Nothing." He released her arm.

She stared at him and then hurried along towards her next class.

Angela stumbled after Viviana, seeing as she was so short it was difficult to keep right to even attempt running. Then again Angela was unfairly tall. Vivi spotted the loner standing by the stairs looking at a piece of paper. His emo hair cut as well as the fact that he was wearing headphones hid them from view. The girls cornered him but he didn't seem to notice until Vivi pushed him towards Angela.

"Ah! V-Viviana, Wh-what do you want? I haven't done anything! I don't know anything!"

"I haven't even asked a question yet."

"Whatever it is, I don't know!"

"You left class pretty early," Vivi said, moving in closer. "Why the rush? What's that paper you were looking at?" She tried to snatch it but he shoved it into his pocket. Her instincts told her he knew something. "Have you been by that old abandoned lot recently?"

Fredrick's eye twitched, a dead giveaway. "Ah... I... Stay away from there Viviana. It's not worth it. You like a mystery don't you? Well don't let your curiosity runaway with you. Stay away from that empty lot. Please."

Angela looked at Viviana whose confident demeanor faltered for only a moment before that arrogant smirk returned to his face. "Hmph! You're not going to scare me off! I'm going to go back-"

"Viviana Torche!"

Vivi whirled, around ready to fight, when she saw that prick from the student council glaring her down. He walked up to them and somewhat gently pushed her aside to free the shaken Frederick. The poor kid ran off down the stairs, leaving Julian between the girls. "Always causing trouble. Do I have to report you as a disturbance? Do you want a target on your back or what! It'll affect your record you know."

"Something happened to someone from our school and I want to know what." Vivi said. She shook her head then turned to go down the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna couldn't take her thoughts off of that empty lot. Once she got through the day, she would go straight there to investigate the mysteriousness of it. As she hurried to her next class, she felt someone grab her arm and she jumped violently.

It was just her best friend Rebecca. Her green eyes were filled with concern. "Are you alright? You seem a little frantic."

Luna nodded, then suddenly wondered if Rebecca knew anything. "Do you know what's going on with that empty lot?"

Rebecca's eyes suddenly filled with alarm and she immediately dropped Luna's arm. "I can't tell you anything. But please, before it's too late, stay away from it. Do not get involved."

Before Luna could respond, her friend rushed off, almost as if she was fleering from Luna. Rebecca's behavior only peaked Luna's curiosity even more. She was for sure going to check out that lot after school. Before she was late, she hurried on to her next class.

Vivi was unable to focus on anything for the rest of the day and it made her more irritable than usual. To make things worse, she kept running into Julian, not that it was completely unexpected. He was her stalker after all. The point was none of them had seen what she saw that other day...except that girl... Hopefully she had not gone babbling around the school about the lot. She was going back right after school- no stopping home first. As soon as the bell rang for the end of her last class Vivi was on her way out. Of course she couldn't make it off the school grounds without running into Julian one more time.

"Wait, I need to talk to you!" he called as she approached.

Vivi rolled her eyes. "Look, the confession doesn't work if the person knows you stalk them. Come on now." She tried to walk past but he held out an arm to stop her. He looked serious. "Fine, what? I have things to do."

He lowered his arm and looked her in the eyes. "What happened to that student? You said something happened to a student."

Vivi took a deep breath. "If you want to know then follow me. I'm not saying a word." She walked around him and he most certainly followed. She took him back to the empty lot. "This is where it happened." She took her detective cap from her satchel and slipped it over her head.

"What happened?" He was still looking so serious. It was weird for a teenager to look so serious, but he was.

"I saw someone disappear," she said. "He walked past the gate and vanished into thin air." Why was she even telling him anything? Everyone knew Viviana kept all the good information for herself and was the sole "knower-of-all". Why did she let him in on possibly- okay definitely- the richest, most gossip worthy happening in her life? She couldn't get out any more than that. The lot had her entranced, locked in it's mystery. She wanted nothing more than to know the truth no matter the cost.

Julian looked from her to the empty lot. There was nothing there. Another delinquent prank. This girl is ridiculous and she had me believing this for a moment. He shook his head. "Aren't you a little old for this type of thing? I mean, you've done some pretty childish things in the past, but this is not funny. Kidnappings are very serious."

Viviana had tuned him out long ago. Her eyes had taken over the rest of her senses and blocked them. A sudden, strong wind snatched her hat from her head and threw it into the empty lot. She gasped as her hair flew freely around her head. Her heart was suddenly beating all too quickly. She didn't even notice Julian walk past her to get her hat. As he mumbled about how absent minded she was, he picked up the hat and dusted it off. Viviana stepped up to the gate and walked through, into the abandoned building.

Luna had started running towards the empty lot, wanting to investigate what was going on, when Rebecca stopped her. She scowled at her friend, and tried to step around her, but she grabbed Luna's arm, preventing her from going anywhere.

"I'm being serious Luna. You don't want to get involved." She glared at her.

"I want to know what's going on?" She snapped then looked up and blinked, there was suddenly an abandoned building in what was once an empty building. Rebecca seemed to realize that she could see it and sighed.

"Alright come on."

They walked in silence to the lot, and then stepped into the building.

Vivi ran her hand along the weathered walls and broken doors. She couldn't help being mesmerized by the completely ruined look of the interior. There were broken chairs and tables all over the place. Broken glass gleamed in the afternoon sunlight amid ancient pens and paper. The walls seemed to have water damage and the base boards were ruined. In short, it looked like a tornado had torn through it. Vivi marveled at it all. This was all she had been able to think about for the past two days. It had become her sole purpose for those 48- give or take a few- hours. She was there now. In the flesh. Julian handed her the hat and fixed his backpack. "I've never seen this building before," he said as they walked further into the wreckage. "What was this building?"

"Does it matter?" Vivi said in a low whisper. "I found it. I got inside. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks! I hold all the cards now!" Her laughter echoed through the empty halls and sent chills up Julian's spine.

"Calm down," he said, rubbing his arm uncomfortably. "We should probably try to get out of here. This place looks like it would fall apart if you screamed again."

"Or if you screamed," she retorted. "You can leave if you want but I'm staying to check this place out."

"I can't leave you here by yourself. I'll stay with you." He sounded chivalrous but the nervous blush on his face told otherwise. "Besides, what if something happened to you?"

Vivi shook her head as they wandered through the halls and into rooms. The were only a handful of rooms but he inspected each and every one of them. How she wished she had her other bag right then. For now she could only write down what she saw and sketch crappy pictures for show-and-tell later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luna gaped at the decrepit interior of the building as they got deeper and deeper into it. Rebecca seemed to be getting nervous the further and further they got into the building. At one point, Luna stepped on a broken piece of glass, which cracked loudly, and Rebecca jumped and squeaked. Luna turned to look at her.

"What's wrong with you?"

Rebecca went really pale and shook her head. "Nothing. This building just gives me the creeps. Keep going."

There's something more to this. To what she won't tell me. Luna thought as they continued going further.

Julian followed Viviana with his arms folded and hands shoved under his armpits. He wasn't scared, per se, just a little on edge. The whole thing was just wrong. Where did this building even come from? They didn't know! "Last time I saw a building like this and someone went inside, they didn't come out in piece," he said as much to himself as to the crazy girl walking in front of him. "I really think we should leave." He sped up to walk beside her, now rubbing his arms. Vivi rolled her eyes as she pushed open another door with her foot. The room was dark and a cloud of dust was raised from the floor as the door opened.

Julian grabbed Vivi's arm before she walked into it. "No, I've seen this before! Don't go in there. Don't you watch horror movies?"

"No, and neither should you," she said as she shrugged him off. "Stay out here if you're too scared, but I have waited too long for this and am not going back until I see everything there is to this place."

He let her go but reluctantly followed her inside.

The two girls advanced further into the building. But once they reached a certain point, Rebecca grabbed Luna's arm and refused to move. Luna tried to drag her further but she planted her feet firmly and refused to move.

"What is wrong with you?" Luna snapped at her.

"This building isn't safe. We should leave-before we can't." Rebecca's voice was shaking.

"What do you mean before we can't?"

Rebecca shook her head and refused to answer, staring at her feet. Luna jerked on her arm and Rebecca jerked away and jammed her hands in her front pockets and stared at the floor. Her eyes glazed over and unfocused, as if lost in thought. This made Luna worried; she had never seen her friend like this ever.

The room was dark but for a small ray of light trickling in through a filthy window. Dust particles danced in the light, attracting Vivi's attention. Julian kept his arms crossed and followed close behind. He felt sick to his stomach and for good reason. His instincts had never led him astray and yet here he was completely ignoring them. Viviana stepped over shadowed corners of furniture and boxes. He soaked in the whole scene with her eyes, as much as she could anyhow, before Julian grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the room. "What are you doing?!" she screamed as smoke started to fill the halls. Julian said nothing but pulled her on toward the exit with his mouth and nose covered by a sleeve. Just as the light of day came into view the smoke engulfed the entire building, blotting out everything.