IC Julian City

upper class redblood
son of a blood moon
confident, optimistic

Location: Walking on Air > Dorian's car. | Tag: @MaryGold 's Dorian, @wren. 's Lionel.
──────────────────────────── ˖ ────────────────────────────​

The sun god hadn't waited for any conclusive response from Lionel about the party. He'd leave it to Dorian to see that conversation through. The thought kept a pleased, vaguely smug curve to his closed mouth while he stepped back outside before resuming his place in the car.

It was odd – the things a person keeps from childhood impressions. He'd loved Lionel so much himself, in his own more brotherly way, that when he'd realized Dorian favored Lionel in a different way, it'd stayed with him all along. Whether it remained true to this day or not, he was sure Dorian would sort it one way or another! There was some excitement in the unknown chaos of it.

On his own, Leland scrolled on his phone. He was in no rush. He wasn't in Julian City to rush to some party or other – Dorian, his family, the experiences they might catch up on or form: these were the reasons he was there.

However long Dorian needed with Lionel in there, for shoes or whatever else came up? Leland was happy to wait in the car. Really, even if nothing came of it and Dorian's crush had faded with time, he enjoyed the opportunity to play the troll wingman for Dorian. How often did he ever get to do that? It was novel and mischievously fun.

Leland's thoughts pulled toward Theodore, so he opened his recently renewed chain of text messages with his old friend. Candidly, Leland had romantic hopes with the professor, and he'd become more upfront in his language about that. It gave Leland a thrill of anxiety - something hopeful and exciting. There was always the risk of -

Oh.

His summery blue glance clouded a little with a touch of processing dismay. The most recent message from Theodore had come through while Leland had been in Lionel's shop. It was a bit longer and more formal. Oh.

Theodore's message had been polite. It'd been caring even. But it was, ultimately, a confirmation that Theodore did not wish to pursue any romantic notions. Perhaps at one point he had - the suggestion was there - but he'd also met someone else. That was the ultimate punctuation to the matter. More, Theodore requested that perhaps they not meet up, not too soon, not while he was in a fresh relationship with someone else. Leland understood, he could respect that - just to be certain that a new partner didn't come under risk of feeling like they were something casual.

Though the sun god drooped a little in the back seat, wilting toward the the reality of autumn. He sent back a brief message, the best he could manage. Gratitude, encouragement, and hopes for a good future. Funny how sometimes wishing someone well was a way of leaving their lives.

No, not 'funny.' There was no mirth in that back seat. In that moment, Leland was grateful that he was alone.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: wren. and MaryGold
hh
hh
LIONEL
Did you mistake me for Callum now, he says. Now. Dorian's expression and tone exude nothing but gentleness, but the accusation is clear and makes Lionel wince. He'd noticed his slip of the tongue earlier when he'd mistaken him for Connie. Had it hurt him? It's not like he'd ever care about Lionel's opinion of him, but he spent a lot of his childhood being compared to his elder brother, so perhaps he'd been reminded of that treatment.

"All of you boys always looked so similar, it's a wonder I was able to tell you all apart so easily," he tries to return the joke, folding his hands together and rubbing his skin with his thumb to soothe his guilt. "Joking, of course." He struggles to meet Dorian's eyes, instead focusing on him putting on the boots. He has nicely-shaped feet; slim, well-arched, and average for a man of his size. Are they pretty under his socks, too?

The subject change allows him to relax some, though it's Dorian's smile that puts him most at ease. It looks genuine enough that he can't help but smile back, even laughing at Leland's expense. Dorian's impressive ability to redirect tension is no doubt a consequence of his political prowess. "It does sound fun, and I wouldn't want to hurt Leland's feelings..." Still, he's never been a huge fan of crowds, and knowing the Stoll family, they're likely going somewhere pretty high-end, i.e., somewhere someone like Lionel doesn't belong.

His doubt is interrupted by Dorian thrusting his foot toward him, the familiar and alluring scent of leather wafting up at him. It's instinctive to take it in his hands, one hand on his ankle and the other on the sole of the boot. "Oh, sure!" He scoots forward a bit, propping his foot on his chest to free up his hands and grab the laces.

"You know, there's such a thing as a Halloween knot?" he smiles as he crosses the laces over each other and pulls them tight. "It's designed to look like a hangman's noose. There's also a boat shoe knot, though it's unfortunately not very pirate-y." His deft fingers work quickly, already decided on their course. "This a reef knot. If you don't want a bow, I'd say this is the next best thing. It'll hold securely and looks more elegant than some of the other more ornamental knots like those other two. Then I would just... tap the ends into the boot... There!"

He waits for Dorian to approve it before gesturing for the man to lift his other foot, repeating the process with equal speed. "I'll go the party," he decides, "For a little while, at least. The problem of not having a costume remains, though. Do I need one?"
@MaryGold
LOCATION | INTERACTIONS | MENTIONS

• Sweet
  • Wicked
Reactions: MaryGold and sele