[JovenMaria] Never judge a book by its cover [bloodbitten]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Satoru Yokoyama..."

Finally. Finally, she had a name. "Thank you, Keisho..." She thanked him in her mind since, she doubted that she would had gotten his name on her own. Anyways, once Keisho heard his reply, he turned towards Minami and gave her an apprehensive smile. However, she just smile at him and watched as he walked towards the kitchen while shaking his head. Minami just stared in confusion and then went to look out the window in a thoughtful manner. She had noticed how everyone was looking towards their table but she had not cared for any of it. After some time, lost in her own thoughts, she heard a small squeak and looked over to where it came from.

A few tables from theirs, a group of girls was pushing another one towards them. She quickly recognized the girls to be from the same school she attended. Soon, a small frown started to form on her face. She noticed that the girl was being hesitant on coming over, however after a few more pushes, she finally approached. Arriving at their table, Minami could see she was trembling in fear; this caused her to raise an eyebrow in a questioning manner. "I haven't done anything to Hatsumi, why is she suddenly so scared at the prospect of talking to me...?" However, after much observation she could see that her fear was not directed at her but at Satoru.

"Minami-san, my friends and I were wondering if you would like to go my birthday party, today at 7:00 pm. Here is the invitation, if you decide to go." Without waiting for a reply, the girl quickly walked away, not even glancing back towards Satoru. "She didn't even asked if he would like to go... Does everyone finds him so scary, that they wouldn't invite him to their parties...?"

The small frown that had started to form on her face, became bigger. She thought that it wasn't fair that people would judge a person just by his looks. In fact, it was something she did not tolerate due to some experiences she had when she was in middle school. Yet, what surprised her the most was the fact that a girl like Hatsumi, would be so judgmental. She knew that she shouldn't be assuming things, since it could be a possibility that Hatsumi might had an encounter with Satoru in the past, however she couldn't help but doubt that Satoru would be the kind of person to intentionally harm a girl. Minami was an exception, since she was the one who bothered him first. So, it was understandable that he was cold towards her or hurled harmful comments her way. But to a girl like Hatsumi who was usually sweet and innocent, that would be too mean, even for someone like him.

However, after sometime deliberating if she should ask him, if he was okay after that awkward moment, she was suddenly snapped out of her thoughts by Keisho. In his hands were to trays, both with the same contents. A plate that held a roasted-turkey and brie melt with a glass of iced tea. Leaving her conflicting thoughts a side, she quickly thanked Keisho for the food and started to dig in. She didn't know how hungry she was until she took the first, which caused her to moan in satisfaction. "I never get tired of the food here..." After that comment, she decided to concentrate on enjoying her food. She would leave her curious thoughts for later.

Satoru sat in silence, carefully raising a hand to his eyepatch.. or, under it, to gently rub the skin underneath, making sure the patch did not come off as it wasn't exactly a fancy patch at that.
After doing so, he watched as Minami and Keisho exchanged odd glances with each other. And he refrained from smirking. He could tell, there was something going on between those two, not that it was any of his business. But of course, he did find situations like this interesting.

He had always watched couples at school, deciding if they'd last or not, and most of the time his assumptions remained correct. Most of them fell apart right before his eyes, not like it was his problem. But it's also not that he found joy in disastrous relationships.
He wasn't that bad of a guy, and often felt bad if he saw a girl crying alone, since the guys' pride got in the way. But the girls would never allow him to approach, so he simply taught himself to act like he didn't care.

Satoru snapped out of his thinking stage when he heard a girl approaching, shifting his gaze to her. And just like that, he caught her hesitance, knowing it was his fault she was so afraid to talk to Minami.
So he simply sighed and looked the other way to make her change her mind.

He listened to their conversation, hearing that this girl was invited to Hatsumi's party, and he raised a brow before looking over to her. "So that's your name."
Truthfully, he was planning on asking for her name since it was normal to feel weird hanging out with someone you don't even know. But Hatsumi did it for him, and he shrugged. He wondered what parties were like... well, he'd been to parties, but only for holidays and stuff. And with his family, they always got pretty wild.. but he'd never been to a classmate's party before.

After Hatsumi left, he sighed once more and rested his arms on the table, placing his chin atop them before casting a somewhat sullen glare towards Minami's hands. "They don't understand," he muttered boredly, lifting his head at the sight of Keisho walking over with their food.

Satoru nodded to him before responding rather quietly. "Thanks.."
Before actually digging in, he picked the sandwich-like food up and examined it to make sure he didn't eat something he didn't like. After doing so, he took a large bite out of it, face lighting up for a moment.

Minami was focused on eating her sandwich since it was her favorite, but she still looked up to see if Satoru liked it as well. However, nothing prepared for what she saw. Upon seeing his face lighten up at least for a few seconds, her eyes widened and her cheeks took a rosy color. She couldn't help but stare, even after his face went to the look from before. "H-He just...He just smiled..." She couldn't even finish a thought without stuttering in her mind. Let's face it, Minami was getting used to his cold demeanor and looks, that just seeing a glimpse of what he looks like when smiling, shocked her completely.

Frankly, he went over just to talk to her and see what was the boy sitting with her, up to. So, when he got closer and saw that she was blushing, a wave of jealousy overtook him. "She is...She is blushing! How did he do it!? I have never seen her blush before, even when I compliment her I hadn't got a reaction like that...." Not being able to control himself, he decided to see what was going on and walking up to them, she asked her if she wanted some dessert or something else to drink. "You want some dessert, Mimi? Or another drink, perhaps?" However, at first he just got a startled look and then just dismissive shake of her head. So, we a soft groaned and after sending a cold glare towards Satoru, without Minami noticing obviously, Keisho went back to his place at the front counter.

Upon hearing Keisho's voice, she gave a quiet gasp and quickly looked at him. At first, she gave him a startled look but then, she just dismissed him with a shake of her head. She was afraid that if she tried to talk, she would make a fool of herself. Looking back down towards Satoru, she let out a disappointed sight upon seeing that his face had went back to his usual expression. "He should smile more often..." She thought to herself, however that just made her add another task to her mind list of 'Task to do, to become a friend of Satoru'. "That's it... I would just have to try and make him smile more often, even if its just for me." However, oblivious to how possessive that sounded, she went back to finish her forgotten meal. Not giving it another thought. Though, at least the color of her face went back to normal.

Satoru admired the taste of the meal, but just as Minami had figured, he returned to his usual expression. He was unaware that she had seen his smile, and looked up at her while furrowing his brow as she stared at him. "What?" he spoke through a full mouth. As she didn't respond, he shrugged and went back to eating.
However, he looked over to Keisho, who gave him a cold glare.

He stopped chewing and averted his half-gaze from the other boy, adjusting his eyepatch while clearing his throat. Satoru may have the same cold glare, but when others gave him a taste of his own medicine, he wasn't fond of it. And it reminded him of how much of a broken loner he actually was.
Satoru ate a little more slowly, looking boredly down at the ground as he leaned back in his chair.

For once in his life, the silence was starting to make him feel uneasy. Then again, he wasn't going to start a conversation with this girl.. however, suddenly his phone started to ring in his pocket, and he quickly grunted before pulling it out, an irritated expression laid among his visage. He sighed, answering the phone. "What do you want, Kiyoshi?" Satoru's tone was unusual.. he spoke louder this time, indicating that the other person on the line was most likely a family member, so he was used to talking to them.

The person on the other line spoke quite loudly into the phone, though the words they said were still inaudible. The voice was high-pitched, but that of a boy's. A small boy's.
Suddenly, Satoru raised a brow and put his free arm in his lap. "What do you mean you're home alone? Where's mom?"

Kiyoshi, the boy on the other line, started screaming angrily into the phone, so loud that you could make out the words: 'WHO CARES, JUST GET HOME NOW!'
However, despite the volume, Satoru didn't move the phone away from his ear and simply stared at Minami while he spoke on the phone. "No, I'm busy. You're ten years old, Kiyoshi, you can take care of yourself. I took care of myself when I was your age."

The boy on the other line yelled once more, causing Satoru to roll his eyes this time. "I don't recommend that, Takeshi's probably out getting drunk with his friends again. He's not gonna take care of you."

But suddenly, he realized that the boy on the other line had already hung up. He snorted a bit and put the phone away, before setting his elbows on the table and rubbing his temples. "Brothers.."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Upon hearing the ringing of a phone, Minami looked up from her plate which she had just finished emptying. Quickly, her gaze landed on Satoru as he talked with someone on the phone. From where she sat, the words of the other person were not comprehensible until the person screamed, however she suspected it belonged to a little boy due to how high-pitched it was and the previous name Satoru mentioned. And, soon her suspicions were confirmed when Satoru brought up his age.

Still, it was a surprise since she didn't know a little boy could be so demanding. In fact, she have never had any experience with kids since she was an only child. It did made her feel a bit sad, since all her friends had at least a brother or sister, but she had none.

Zoning out, she started to remember the first time she asked her parents if they could give her a brother or sister. She was merely seven years old, and she still remembered the look her parents gave her. It was a look filled with pain and longing, yet at the moment she couldn't comprehend what those looks meant. So, she still became angry when they told her that they couldn't. Now that she was old enough, she understood the reason why.

Shaking her head, she shooed the memories away, not wanting Satoru to the sadness the memories brought to her. Instead, she decided to concentrate on Satoru. After he put the phone away, settled his elbows on the table and rubbed his temples before mentioning the words, "Brothers..", Minami couldn't help but flinch at it. "Hn..So, he also has brothers..."

Minami couldn't help but feel a bit of jealous of him, though she knew she shouldn't since she didn't know anything about him, much less about his family. Shoving her feelings deep down, she decided to ask him if everything was alright. "Everything alright?... You know, I wouldn't get mad if you left due to having personal things to attend. I've done it a couple of times to my friends as well..."

Satoru sighed and stretched his arms out, thinking to himself. "Normally I wouldn't care.. but if mom's not home, I guess I have no choice." he sighed, figuring mother must have had an emergency at work so she couldn't stay with Kiyoshi.
He stood up and fished some money out of his pocket and quickly handed it to her before taking the rest of his meal.

Saying nothing, he began to walk out of the cafe, opening the door with his back just so he could flash a stone-cold glare over to Keisho. Satoru took one big bite out of his food before finally walking out without a care in the world.

---

The next day, Satoru had gone to the library again, early as he always did every single day.
He sat there and read his book, aware that Minami had not arrived yet, but he honestly wasn't expecting her to nor did he really care if she did or not. He was worried about something else instead.

He sat at the table with a concerned look on his face, shifting uncomfortably in his seat, and he just couldn't really focus on his book.
Satoru let out a shaky sigh before suddenly getting up from the table and walking over to the bookshelf yet again.

Minami took the money held out to her and just watched as Satoru walked out of the cafe. Once he was out and gone, she slumped in her seat, her forehead hitting the table with a soft thump. A loud sighed could be heard coming from her. She had just realized that getting a smile out of Satoru was going to be a very, very hard task. However, that just motivated her to try it even more.

After some time in the same position, she heard someone approaching her table. Looking up, she came face to face with Keisho. Their faces were just inches apart, yet she only stared at his red face. She could not help but raise an eyebrow at his odd behavior. "Why is he so red...?" Lets face it, Minami was just so dense in the love department. She knew what her friends meant with checking out guys, however when it came to liking a guy or a guy liking her, she was completely oblivious to it. So, that's why when Keisho started to lean in she blinked in confusion. "Keisho, what are you doing?"

Keisho had seen Minami's odd behavior and decided to check what was wrong with her. First she was blushing, now she was almost sulking. "Wait!?...It couldn't be that she liked that weird looking boy, right!?" Shaking those thoughts out of his head, he kept walking towards her. He was not going to let some kid steal her away from him. "Hell no, she is mine..." Once he was in front of her table, he got closer to her and when he was about to tap her on the head, she looked up to him.

Instantly, his face became a fiery red due to how close they were, yet her face stood impassive. No blush, no sign of being flustered about their closeness, she just stared at him. Soon, Keisho started to lean in towards her, not being able to hold himself much longer but before he could get much closer, he heard her voice. "Keisho, what are you doing?" Quickly, recovering he stood up, his face turning more red due to his embarrassment. "M-Mimi, uhm... I was just seeing if you had c-crumbs on your face, since you can be a messy eater s-sometimes..."

Minami stared at him for awhile and then just nodded, a warm smile on her face. (Dense, I tell you.) "Oh, thanks. I guess you are right. I tend to get messy sometimes..." Giggling, she stood up and paid him the meal. However, before she left she asked Keisho for a favor. "Hey, Keisho. I know that Hatsumi might have invited you to her party, so if you go... Can you tell her, that I'm sorry I couldn't make it... I just have some stuff to do at home and I don't think I'll have enough time to go to a party... If you do this for me, I'll be eternally grateful..." Keisho just nodded at this and smiled warmly at the last part. "Sure Mimi. I'll let her know." Smiling at Keisho's answer, she walked out of the cafe and waved a see ya later.

------------------

The next day, Minami ran a bit late on her schedule. She wanted to go to the library early, however her parents decided to go shopping and had dragged her with them. Not being able to say no to them, she just accepted her fate.

Finally, at around two o' clock she was able to sneak away from her parents and made her way towards the library. Though, before getting there she made a quick stop at the cafe to buy some treats. "Good afternoon, Keisho. I just came to get a box of my favorite treats. You know, the mini carrot cakes, those heavenly tasting strawberry shortcakeletts, and don't forget the Boston cream bites. Oh my, just thinking about them makes my mouth water..."

Keisho just laughed and started to place the treats in a small, white box. "Just curious. Why a box, and so many? You usually get a small bag..."

Minami shrugged, though a big smile could be seen forming on her face. "Oh, I'm going to bring them to the library and see if Sotaru likes them... You know, the guy that came with me yesterday..."

Keisho halted momentarily at Sotaru's name, but he recovered quickly. Yet, a scowl had form on his face. "And why these? I mean, I wouldn't put him as a guy who would like sweets..." Once finished, he handed the box to the girl and took the money.

Minami just shrugged, took the box and paid. "I don't know if he'll like it, but you know, I gotta try... I'm trying to make him smile, so I thought by getting him something sweet would do the trick..." With that said, she gave Keisho a smile and walked out of the cafe, continuing on her way towards the library. As soon as she arrived, she entered and walked towards the usual spot. She noticed the librarian giving her a look, however Shizue-san was used to Minami bringing snacks to the library, since she would always clean up after herself. Giving the woman a smile, she kept on her way, whispering to herself. "At least I know that if Satoru doesn't like the treats, then I could give Shizue-san some of them..."

Satoru's face remained as it had all morning.. anxious, concerned. Maybe even a little confused. As his fingers skimmed through the books, he started to breathe a little heavier, losing focus of what he was doing.
He heard the door open, but he didn't need to look to see who it was. He already knew it was that girl. However, out of his peripheral vision, he saw she brought snacks.

But in all honesty, that was the least of his worries.

He could feel a new emotion overcoming him, and without thinking, he picked a book out, not even looking at it before walking over to the table, tension overwhelming his muscles. Satoru's mind suddenly started to race, and he sat down at the table, placing the book on top before flipping over to a random page to read. Or, at least.. he tried.

As his eyes darted from word to word on the pages, his breath was shaky, and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.
Something wasn't right.

Satoru tried to distract himself from his thoughts and looked over to Minami, then at the snacks. But in her eyes.. he could see they were happy.
And she was always smiling..

Suddenly, the boy could feel tears starting to fill his eye as well as his eyepatch becoming damp underneath, as it was still possible to cry from that area since is tear ducts were in tact.

I can't let her see my like this.. I can't let anyone see me like this.. dammit, Takeshi!

And without warning, he pushed the book to the side and quickly buried his face in his arms on the table, trying to muffle his whimpers and sniffling.

tumblr_mkc0054aIr1s5jbvso1_500.jpg

(This picture just reminded me of that scene. ;u;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Before she got to the table Minami saw Satoru and the smile that was on her face got bigger. Yet, she thought that he was not paying attention like always. So, once she got closer and placed the box of sweets on the table, she gave a warm greeting. "Hello, Satoru-kun. I thought that you would..." However, before she could finished her sentence, she noticed that his shoulders were shaking. Also, she could swear, she almost heard a faint whimper. Quickly, her smiled dropped to a concerned expression. "Hey... Satoru...? Are you alright?"

Not receiving an answer, she made her way around and standing beside him, she placed a hand on his back, hesitantly since she didn't know how he would react. And, in soft, circular motions, just as her father used to do to her, she rubbed his back as a way to calm him down. She didn't ask any more questions since she didn't want to pry on what was clearly none of business, however she just stood there, trying to comfort him at best she could for someone she just met a few days ago. In an attempt to calm him a bit more, she started to hum a soft, relaxing tune.

Satoru clenched his fists as she touched it, but not because he was angry. It's just that the comforting touch made it worse. But this was common, because if someone cries and is hugged, that would only make them cry more.
However, he could care less about other people right now. He was too busy thinking about the news he had received earlier this morning.

His soft whimpers suddenly became audible, and it was clear he was crying his eyes out.. well.. he would soon lose his other eye if he kept crying like this. (totally did not just joke about that there)

A few other people started to turn in his direction to see what was going on. But most knew they'd probably never know, being strangers and all, so they went back to doing whatever they were doing.
Satoru couldn't just allow Minami to comfort him, as she didn't know what was going on.

He just needed someone to talk to.

Reluctantly, he lifted his head up to reveal a red face, soaked in tears, and he placed his hands under his chin to hold his head up. He still sniffled as tears kept running down his face, and his blue eye was no longer cold, but sad.
He attempted to gather himself before finally speaking, rubbing his eye before taking the soaked eyepatch off the other to reveal.. well, nothing. It was sewn shut, tears quickly streaming through the stitching and all.

Satoru carefully attempted to wipe away at it, before finally deciding to explain. "It's my older brother.." he choked and sniffled, face scrunching up at the thought of it.
"He's.. dead.."

His nails slowly started to dig into his cheeks before he set his head back down on the table, letting it all out now, not holding back this time.

The news, shocked her into a state of paralysis. She stopped rubbing his back, she stopped humming, she just stood there; blinking. To be completely frank, Minami was not expecting any kind of explanation, however once she learned what was the cause of such state of sadness, she couldn't help the small gasp of shock. "He's.. dead.. dead.. dead.." The word dead kept repeating in her head, and it caused her to flinch. She suddenly found herself having a flash back of her seven year old self, asking her parents for a brother or sister.

--Flash Back--

Little Minami ran inside her house, she just got home from school. Her brown locks moved around her face, her blue eyes looking for her mother. She wore a yellow summer dress and some brown boots. "Mom! We are home..." Her dad came inside, a warm smile on his face. As they entered the kitchen, they saw Minami's mother preparing some after-school snacks. "Perfect, now we can all eat a snack together..." Minami's mother stopped what she was doing and kneeling down, she opened her arms wide. Little Minami ran to her mother's arm, a gleeful smile on her face.

After they ate their snacks, they decided to watch some T.V; however, after some time had passed, Minami suddenly stood up and placed herself in front of her parents. "Mom? Dad? Could I get a little sister or a little brother for my birthday? All my friends have one and I don't..." Her parents just gave Minami, expressions filled with sadness and pain. "Mimi, sweetheart... We would love to give a little sister or brother for your birthday, but you see it takes a lot of time and parents can't sometimes have another baby because it's to painful. But, why don't you look for something else for your birthday and then we can talk about little sisters or brothers for Christmas...?"

"But, I don't want anything else for my birthday!..." With that little Minami, ran up the stairs towards her room and slammed the door shut.

--End of Flash Back--

Now that she was older, she understood those expressions more clearly. At the time she thought that, they just didn't want to have another baby. However, now she knew that her mother had gone sterile after giving birth to Minami. They did want another baby, they just couldn't have one. When she found out the truth, she felt guilty at first, because she thought that it was her fault in some way. Yet, her parents quickly told her to never feel guilty over it, because stuff like that happened all the time in life.

Nevertheless, this was not the time to think about the past. Minami hadn't even paid any attention to Satoru's eyes or the glances other were giving them, she just sat down next to him and started to pat his back this time, instead of rubbing. She also stood quiet, since she thought that silence was better in this situation. If he wanted to talk, she'd provide her ears to listen, if he asked for comfort she'd provide arms to hug him, however she would not leave him alone because then, wouldn't that make it worse. So, she just sat there patting his back, and hearing him mourn his brother's death. Because, in her opinion it was more tolerable, not being able to have a sibling than losing one.

His tears started to fall onto the table. Any more would most likely cause him to drown in his own distress. However, he could just be sad in this situation, he knew that already. His brother, Takeshi.. he had major problems.
And when Satoru started to think about that for a few minutes, he started to calm himself.. slowly, his body started to cease and he grew quiet. Satoru suddenly lifted his head. Still crying, but not panicked this time.

He hesitantly put his eyepatch back on, despite the fact it would bother him to death due to being soaked, but it didn't matter. He clamped his hands together and sat back in his chair, sniffling while his arms settled into his lap. He glared down at his feet and let out a shaky sigh.
But he was no longer just sad.. the sadness was now mixed with anger..

Minami hadn't spoke since.. maybe she'd listen then. He needed to talk to someone about this, and despite the fact he barely knew her, she seemed like she was trying to know him.
Besides, it's not like it was any different than going to a therapist, who's also a stranger.

As the tears calmly streamed down his cheeks like little rivers, he opened his mouth in attempt to speak, though his words only came out in pieces. "Takeshi.. depression made him an alcoholic.. they say it was an accident.."
He refrained from breaking down again, putting a hand to his mouth to muffle any whimpering in case it decided to come.

"I know it wasn't an accident.. suicide is no accident.. even when you're as wasted as that idiot.." those words obviously hurt him, but he managed to withstand it for now.

Letting out yet another tremulous breath, he twiddled his thumbs and used his sleeve to wipe the tears away.
"I know why he did it.. he still felt guilty for what he did.. I'm the one to blame for his decision."

As soon as he lifted his head, she stopped patting his back. Minami placed her hand on her lap, and decided to just listen. "Takeshi.. depression made him an alcoholic.. they say it was an accident.."

She could see that he was struggling for words and that he was still a bit shaken. "I know it wasn't an accident.. suicide is no accident.. even when you're as wasted as that idiot.."

Minami just kept quiet and let him spit out everything that he had been bottling up inside. She knew that he needed this, it was better to let everything out than keep it inside. "I know why he did it.. he still felt guilty for what he did.. I'm the one to blame for his decision."

At the last statement, she couldn't help but raise an eyebrow in a questioning manner. How could he blame himself, for something he had no control over. Suddenly, she felt anger rising in her, so with a quick flick of her hand she hit him softly on the head. "How are you to blame for something, he obviously decided to do of his own free will?" She knew, she should not be saying anything, since she didn't know anything about him or his family; ye,t when seeing how broken he looked just because he was blaming himself for something he had no control over, it made her mad.

Yes, he might had done something, but if his brother couldn't get over it then, that was not something he should blame himself for. The more she thought, the more angry she got, so with a quick motion she pulled the box of sweets and took out one of the treats and held it out to him. (I'll let you decide which one.) "You know what, here... eat this. I don't want to see you like this anymore, and I know this is going to make you feel better..." Minami said this in a tone that held so much authority, that she would certainly not take a no for an answer. Besides, she didn't know what else to do.

Satoru sat there with a sigh, letting the final tears fall before wiping them off yet again.
His face was still concerned, and he closed his eyes to think. "I was such a jerk to him, I let him bel-" suddenly, he was stopped as Minami smacked him upside the head. His eye shot open, and he gasped, before holding his head and flashing a confused glare over towards the girl.

"Minami, what the hell!" he said loudly, but not in a cold tone. But her face said it all, and Satoru's glare turned into that of a worried one. Because this girl looked pretty angry.
What the..

Suddenly, she handed him a snack from the box, something that looked like a strawberry shortcake, causing him to furrow a brow. It was like he had completely forgotten about the sadness that overcame him, cautiously taking the snack out of her hand.. though, he did examine in thoroughly.. and slowly started to eat it.

His face had lit up just like before, eyes rolling back in satisfaction; 'twas so delicious and delectable.
But then again, he remembered something, and started to chew it more slowly with a bored look on his face, sadness still hiding deep within his gaze. He finished the shortcake and swallowed, sneaking another out of the box. "Crying isn't going to fix things, so I have to get over it. But I haven't even told you the worst part."

Quickly, Satoru gobbled down the second shortcake and licked his fingers for any traces of whipped cream and all.
"It's my birthday."

Minami's face instantly went a fiery red upon seeing his lit up again and a huge smile adorned her face. She quickly placed her hands over her cheeks in an attempt to hide her blush. "What is this...? Why do I feel so tingly...?" However, it soon got replaced by a look of shock. It was his birthday...It was his birthday! "Oh my ...! What didn't you tell me today was your birthday!? I could have brought you a cake or something..." In her frantic state, Minami forgot that they just met a few days ago. She was not obliged to bring him anything, however at the moment it didn't matter. "Baby steps Minami... Baby st... You know what, forget the baby steps!"

In one swift movement, she stood up and grabbed her bag. Taking the box of sweets, she held it out to him and as soon as he grabbed it, she took his hand and started to drag him out of the library. "Come on! It's your birthday, so we are going to do something else instead of staying in this gloomy-looking place." Minami was clearly not thinking before acting, because if she were she wouldn't have had the courage to drag Satoru out of any place. However, if her friends saw her like this, they would not be surprised. She tended to get like this whenever she forgets one of her friends birthday. However, Satoru didn't know this, so what could possibly be his thoughts on the matter?.. Only he knows..

He snorted once she was offended about why he never told her it was his birthday. His sixteenth, to be exact.
"I never told you because you're not my friend, little lady, so why should I care?" he returned to his arrogant self, but quite frankly, he meant it in a joking way.. strangely. Usually he wouldn't.
Shaking it away, he sneaked yet another snack from the box, this time a mini carrot cake, and ate it with delight.

Sweets.. sweets could save him from sadness when books seemed to fail.

Happily, Satoru was just about to take another snack from the box until he saw Minami had stood up.. and to his demise, she was holding it. But before he could complain, she handed it to him, and he grabbed it in both confusion and satisfaction.
However, he almost dropped it once she grabbed his wrist and started running out of the library, Satoru in tow, almost stumbling over everything.

"H-hey, where are we going?!" he shouted in concern once the duo got outside.

Once they were outside, Minami halted suddenly at Satoru's question. Turning around she tilted her head in confusion. "I don't know..." Tapping a finger to her chin, she started to go through all the fun places they could go, however she quickly decided on another of her favorite spots. Once, she got it she snapped her fingers and taking his arm, she started to drag him again. Though, this time she moved slower. "Let's go to the arcade... We can play different games together..." In her mind, she was already picturing all the different games they could play, even though it was Satoru's birthday. However, she couldn't help the grin that had already started to form on her face.

Minami was so focused on getting to arcade, that she didn't notice that they were passing by Keisho's cafe. When Keisho saw them, she couldn't help but growl and the customer he was attending just inched away from his darkening aura. "He is so going to pay..."

Minami's friends were also shocked at the sight the scary looking boy being dragged by their sweet looking friend, though at the moment she looked more like an energetic, little girl. At the same time, they all looked at each other and got up from the table they were sharing at the cafe. They needed to know what was going on between those two. However, they all knew how dense Minami could be. "I bet she doesn't know how both of them look to other people.." One of Minami's friend mentioned; the others just nodded, agreeing with that statement.

As she suddenly halted at his statement, he quickly grabbed another snack from the box and ate it, seeing at his hand was free now. While she pondered what they were going to do, he whimpered in such happiness. "These are so good.." Satoru mumbled as he spoke, still chewing.
Just as he was about to grab yet ANOTHER snack--he was bound to gain fifty pounds by the end of the day--she started to pull him along again, causing him to sigh at the fact that he couldn't eat more.

He walked behind leisurely, allowing her to drag him. Just because no longer hated her company didn't exactly mean they were friends.. yet, little did he know. Satoru thought about what would happen, groaning. "The arcade? Don't students go there all the time?"
The boy straightened up a bit with concern. He could already imagine all the shit they'd give him upon arrival.

Not like he cared.. he just wasn't in the mood for arguments, for his brother's death still lingered deep within his mind.

Shaking the thought away, his eye lit up as they passed the cafe, and he attempted to pull Minami back. "Hey hey hey, wait up. Let's get some more of these.. things.." his tone was excited at first, but after he realized that little detail, it slowly faded into a quiet one. Just so he could hide his true happiness for the little cakes.

However, his heart sunk once they started to get further away from it, and Satoru sighed.

"The arcade? Don't students go there all the time?"

At this, Minami just shrugged. "Yes, so? It is a public place and it's not like you are not allowed to go there. If the others have a problem with it, then they can talk it out with me." A smirk formed on her face, as she glanced back at him.

On the arcade, a bunch of students felt a shiver go down their spine. It felt as if something ominous was going their way.Minami was a sweet girl and mostly all her classmates like to hangout with her, however only her closest friends have seen her bad side as well; Minami could be scary when she wanted to be.

Once they arrived and were inside the arcade, that's when Minami let go of Satoru's hand. She hadn't even heard him about stopping to get more treats, and that is because every time Minami someone mentions the arcade to her, she would become like a little girl when she is told is Christmas. The arcade was one of Minami's favorite spots, and she would blame her friends for it. They were the ones who first dragged her inside of one and since then, she had been hooked.

Minami scanned the area and once she spotted the token machine, she told Satoru to follow. "Come on! Lets get some tokens, so we can start playing." As this was going, Minami was oblivious to her following friends.

"Look at her, I've never seen her this excited since that first day we brought her here." One of her friends mentioned to the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Satoru was about to protest concerning the fact that he was the outcast of the school, claiming that he wouldn't be accepted at the arcade.
Then again, he remembered how much he didn't care. Back in elementary school, he constantly tried to tell people that his eyepatch didn't make him a monster or anything, but they never listened. So once middle school came, he dropped it all, and gave up.
Quite frankly, not only does the eyepatch hide the truth to some of his family secrets.. it also looked pretty damn cool.

Why couldn't others see that? Satoru used to be a cool guy, until everyone started avoiding him.
He sighed, thinking about it. Perhaps that incident long ago ruined his social life.

Upon entering the arcade, he protectively clutched the box in his arms once Minami let go of him. He looked around to see everyone playing arcade games, yelling at each other, laughing in the booths with pizza. Some stared their way, and Satoru returned to his usual cold glare before slowly taking a Boston cream bite out of the box and shoving it in his face.

He nodded as Minami wanted to get some tokens, and watched her walk ahead in wonder. He could feel some people a few feet behind him, cautiously looking over his shoulder. Greeaaaat.
Mumbling under his breath, he quickly attempted to catch up with his new companion towards the token dispenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.