Joking aside, this is getting a bit annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragonesper

Original poster
Okay, yesterday I gave blood for the first time, and before people go "good for you" and all those praise things: I'm doing it because I can, but mostly because I wanted to find my blood type and is too cheap to get a doctor's appointment to find out, plus I have a habit of making simple stuff more complicated.

Well, a few months ago when talking to my mom after the prelim checkup she theorized that I had A rhesus minus (A-) but my blood type is proven to be A+
Yesterday I joked about her being wrong, being curious I asked her why she thought I had A- as my blood type. She came with a sweet response "because you're special" (cute, but illogical) so I laughed and asked her: "Seriously, why did you think my blood type was A- ?" Well... I started questioning her and as a result she turned defensive (okay, okay, it was almost like an interrogation) so I never got any proper answers.

So, theories? My mom is a firm believer that blood type is passed from father to child, not sure if that is scientifically sound though...
And yes, I'm asking for theories, not answers so I'm prepared for even the outlandish ones. I'll have to poke my mom for answers when enough time has passed (like in about six months or so I guess)

Based on this post and that you stated you make a habit of turning simple things in to complicated things, my theory is that your mom prolly was just saying lolwhatever dumb stuff and you are paranoid. O__O

Or someone is not your real mom/dad! 8D

Okay, yesterday I gave blood for the first time, and before people go "good for you" and all those praise things: I'm doing it because I can, but mostly because I wanted to find my blood type and is too cheap to get a doctor's appointment to find out, plus I have a habit of making simple stuff more complicated.

Well, a few months ago when talking to my mom after the prelim checkup she theorized that I had A rhesus minus (A-) but my blood type is proven to be A+
Yesterday I joked about her being wrong, being curious I asked her why she thought I had A- as my blood type. She came with a sweet response "because you're special" (cute, but illogical) so I laughed and asked her: "Seriously, why did you think my blood type was A- ?" Well... I started questioning her and as a result she turned defensive (okay, okay, it was almost like an interrogation) so I never got any proper answers.

So, theories? My mom is a firm believer that blood type is passed from father to child, not sure if that is scientifically sound though...
And yes, I'm asking for theories, not answers so I'm prepared for even the outlandish ones. I'll have to poke my mom for answers when enough time has passed (like in about six months or so I guess)

Based on this post and that you stated you make a habit of turning simple things in to complicated things, my theory is that your mom prolly was just saying lolwhatever dumb stuff and you are paranoid. O__O

Or someone is not your real mom/dad! 8D

So yeah. Blood type is genetic.

Sounds like you got yourself a crude paternity test.

On the plus side, you DIDN'T get an Rh incompatibility, by virture of, you know, NOT DYING in utero.

Blood types are inherited from both parents.

The Rh factor (which determines whether you are Rh+ or Rh-) is also inherited from your parents, but Rh+ is a dominant gene.

If the only thing you know for sure is that your father is Rh-, it's very possible that your mother is Rh+ which resulted in you being Rh+.

If your mother is homozygous dominant, 50% of all possible children created by your parents would be Rh+ and the other 50% would be Rh-. If your mom is heterozygous dominant (meaning she's a carrier of the recessive Rh+ gene), then 25% would be Rh+, and 75% Rh-.

To be fair, I am not a doctor but just to clarify what @Razilin said, it's my understanding that mother-fetus incompatibility only occurs when the mother is Rh- and carrying an Rh+ fetus. If the mother is Rh+ (which is likely to be the case here if YOU are Rh+ and your father is Rh-), she could still carry you to term whether you were Rh+ or Rh-.

Well, I asked my dad about his blood type and I'm gonna learn that one on Monday (he doesn't remember so he has to ask his doc which he will be seeing on Monday), though I'm making the safe assumption of both my parents having either A or O since those are more common from what I gather.

The annoying thing is that before I messed up by asking too intensely she told me that I don't need to think about it. (Well, you see how that worked) Even so it's not like I'm going to get an identity crisis out of something like this. Doesn't really change my past nor present and will most likely not affect my future anyways. If how I felt about myself and how I saw myself could be changed easily by this then that just means my own identity was that reliant on my parentage, and not my own experience. I just find the whole thing annoying that she won't answer me outright.

Well, I asked my dad about his blood type and I'm gonna learn that one on Monday (he doesn't remember so he has to ask his doc which he will be seeing on Monday), though I'm making the safe assumption of both my parents having either A or O since those are more common from what I gather.

The annoying thing is that before I messed up by asking too intensely she told me that I don't need to think about it. (Well, you see how that worked) Even so it's not like I'm going to get an identity crisis out of something like this. Doesn't really change my past nor present and will most likely not affect my future anyways. If how I felt about myself and how I saw myself could be changed easily by this then that just means my own identity was that reliant on my parentage, and not my own experience. I just find the whole thing annoying that she won't answer me outright.
IT CAN CHANGE WHETHER OR NOT YOU DIE OF A BLOOD TRANSFUSION THOUGH

Sleep tight.

XD

Any woman with a negative blood type is given a shot to protect the fetus from being attacked on the off chance the baby has a positive blood type. I had to get one with all of my pregnancies because my blood type is A-, fortunately all my kids share the same blood type.

You guys are being too complicated.

Clearly she was born with A- blood, but her father was a blood mage and behind her mothers back he performed a blood magic ritual changing her bloodtype to A+.
In some mad quest that it would translate to A+ grades in school.

I wish my dad had been so brilliant...

639a3798437923f5a2600d9bb1b70a26d4eb7ce8e09627aad58aedd97634400e.jpg

You guys are being too complicated.

Clearly she was born with A- blood, but her father was a blood mage and behind her mothers back he performed a blood magic ritual changing her bloodtype to A+.
In some mad quest that it would translate to A+ grades in school.
oh how I WISH that was how we got blood types

my work would be so much more entertaining with blood mages involved

Status
Not open for further replies.