3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I'm looking for a second job (or a new full time one) IRL, so let's talk job hunts!

• Besides local classifieds, how do you find job listings?
  • What kinds of questions have you been asked in interviews?
  • Any interview/application dropping tips?
  • Any tips for a resumé?

Besides local classifieds, how do you find job listings?
Word of mouth, and one time I saw a hiring sign in a window

What kinds of questions have you been asked in interviews?
The ones I have trouble with are 'why do you want to work here?' And 'what are your weaknesses?' I usually resort to 'I'd be a good addition to the team'/'I can sometimes be too detail-focused, but I get better as I get used to the job'

Any interview/application dropping tips?
Dress a notch above your interviewer, and dress nice to drop off resumès too. It shows you're serious enough to put effort in, and that you know how to dress and groom yourself for work. Also always ask if the hiring manager is in so you can introduce yourself for a stronger impression

Any tips for a resumé?
Keep it to one page, and avoid repeating yourself. If you put your job position as 'cashier', you don't need to put 'managing cash register' under your responsibilities, etc. get as many references as possible from managers and coworkers: friend and family references count for WAAAY less.

But I'm here to learn! What tips and tricks do you guys have?

be specific about your strengths

be honest, dont try to play a role to land a job

for interviews that are career oriented and not just for the sake of the job, the interview is also a chance for you to vet out the potential employer

for example, i was recently on the interview trail and went to several hospitals for a position

the most lucrative one i walked away from was offering $275,000 dollars plus incentives both monetary ($20,000 sign on bonus) and nonmonetary. however, it was vastly understaffed, meaning i would be doing quite a bit of extra work for that salary.

so yeah, i walked away from close to $300 grand because some major aspects of the workflow would have seriously demanded more of my time than i was willing to work for.

i opted for a less lucrative, but also more connection-heavy position elsewhere, because it would provide a foundation for another position i am gunning for.

In order of bulleted stuff and bolded stuff too.
  • Word of mouth. And friends. Good references get you in. People like to hire from people they trust, not random Joe off the street.
  • "Where do you see yourself in five years?" Casually point at their desk. Or if you're not wanting to come off as TOO ambitious. "Giving the interviews."
  • Make them remember you, your face, something. Don't just "Oh heres my stuff please look." Be annoying, be obnoxious. When they go through that big list of stuff they don't want to do. They'll remember you for it and you're more likely to get it if they recall you over random Joe, again.
  • Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Seriously. Every single job I've gotten is because I've made up crap on apps and resume. Experience? Yeah, sure thing!
Getting a job nowadays is hard. Sure its not morally correct or even the right way to do it. The early bird gets the worm, but a guy with a shovel gets a lot more, and fish too.

inb4 people read this and think I'm an asshole. They're right. I am.

• Besides local classifieds, how do you find job listings?
Connections, connections, connections! If you're looking for a job, chances are you have a friend who has a sister who's married to a guy whose second cousin is the best friend of XYZ company/store. Ask around and ASK YOUR FRIENDS TO ASK AROUND. I've found several jobs that way.
  • What kinds of questions have you been asked in interviews?
The most important questions you will answer in any interview, regardless of the type of job is this: Work ethic and customer service. You'll often be asked questions like: "In a stressful situation when there is a lot of things to do, what do you do?" or "If you have a difficult customer/patient/client/etc. who cannot seem to be pleased with whatever you do, what do you do?"
  • Any interview/application dropping tips?
When taking an interview, be sure to ask questions like, "How would you describe the responsibilities of this job position?" or "What is this company's management style?" or "To whom shall I report if I get this position? Would it be possible to meet this person?" Ask questions that show ACTIVE interest in the position.
  • Any tips for a resumé?
If you write a resumé, don't bother with all the "As a cashier, I manage the cash" or "As a waiter, I serve tables and clean the dining area and waiters' station." Write things that show off some unique strength or training such as: "Trained in operation of ABC instrument manufactured by Company XYZ." If you don't have seemingly *unique* skill, remember not everyone can use a computer. If you can write a document, use a spreadsheet, create a slideshow presentation, or you have had some past experience in customer service, however small, be sure to write it in.

You will often be asked, "What are your strengths?" Then they often ask afterwards, "What are your weaknesses?" Be sure to be honest. The people who interview you are experienced for a reason and they can discern honesty from deceit.

Also, afterwards, you must have persistence persistence persistence. A person might accidentally forget you (hopefully not, since you should leave a lasting impression anyways) because they have interviewed thirty people that day. Call them up a few days later, saying "Hello, this is ____, and I was making sure you haven't forgotten about my application. Blah blah blah. Thank you for your time, consideration, and I look forward to working with your team in the future!"

BODY LANGUAGE TIPS! Shake their hand well. If they don't offer their hand, offer yours. Be sure to shake their hand with your right and gently clasp your hand over their wrist or forearm! It subconsciously gives them a better impression of you from the start. SMILE. And when you point--should you have a need to point something--do not point with your finger, but with an open palm facing upwards (as if you're offering someone something) as it shows openness. Do not point with your palm downwards (HAIL HITLER) as it shows you trying to be superior. Sit erect and point your body to the person you're talking with, never point your body to the door. Pointing your body at the door shows that you really wanna get the hell out of there.

Say "Please," "Thank you," and "Yes, sir," or "Yes, ma'am" or if you're unsure how the interviewer would like to be called, say "Yes, of course," "Yes, please," or "Yes, absolutely."

Handwrite a cover letter for every resume/CV you hand in.

Yes. Handwrite. You read that correctly. Yes. For every single CV you're handing in. Yes, it's a lot more work. But believe me when I say it works wonders.

Research the company or business that you're applying for. Do they have a history? Have they won any awards recently? If so, then mention it in your fancy cover letter. Congratulations, you've just casually demonstrated an interest in their business or company that goes beyond the usual "I would like to get paid money by you please".

Make the effort, and you won't regret it.

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli and Sakura
Since we're talking CVs---

Update that shit in real time. Two seconds to update it on your computer saves you hours trying to look it up or double check the dates or just simply remembering what the hell you did in the last ten years.

The last thing you want to do is waste time doing grunt work prior to an interview.

Oh, and bring copies of your CVs, just in case the interviewer doesn't have it.

And if you're published, review what you wrote - because I get asked about them all the time.

Hell, I'll be the one doing the interviews now, so you're damn right I read your papers.

I found my current job through connections connections connections. My boss and I were probably fifth-degree connections and I wouldn't have met him if I hadn't expressed interest in finding a summer internship to a professor of mine who mentioned it to another professor who put my name on a list the dean was collecting.

So connections & network network network! When you meet someone who smiles at you in a coffeeshop, talk to them! Don't act like you're trying to get a job or anything, just be friendly, like you're making friends. It's those acquaintance-almost friends that you can ask for favors later! They'll remember how pleasant or friendly you were or how interesting the conversation was, so they'll help you out.

I remember I was going to a medieval times tournament gallery/dinner/showcase/reenactment (I'm not really sure what to call it) to NJ from NY. I didn't get to sit next to my friends, but this asian businesswoman sat next to me. I made conversation with her about where I was going and she told me about herself as well. She was a traveler from CA who was doing some business consulting for P&G, a multinational consumer group. At the time, the only thing I knew about P&G was that it sponsored most asian dramas.

She gave me her business card when I asked and even though I wasn't interested in business consulting at all, I learned from the experience. At the time I was only a talkative 19 year old. Now, while attending events for work or going out for tea, I know that connecting to people is really really important!

Seconding Sakura's advice here.

And before anyone sarcastically and cynically says that its all about "Who you know and not what you know..."

Well, if YOU KNOW its about WHO YOU KNOW, then why not develop that as a skill and do the networking yourself?

Nepotism sucks anyway. Build it yourself.

I hated networking. Still did it.

Sitting pretty on $200,000 base salary before I'm 30 years old.

Certainly beats when I worked cash registers.

• Love
Reactions: Sakura
Status
Not open for further replies.