The Sarlacc is my swolemate.
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
Online Availability
No specific timeframe, but online quite a bit.
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Beginner
  3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
  5. Adept
  6. Advanced
  7. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Romance, Action & Adventure, Erotica
Hello everyone,

I am looking to move to the UK. Manchester, England to be exact. Though I’ll look anywhere if I am honest. I am an
American Citizen by birth and have never been outside of the U.S. Except my knowledge of the British culture is very strong. I have been around many British citizens for years, and I’m finally fed up with the Culture here in the United States. I want to move to the UK. I have done a little bit of research on Visa’s and immigration and have come to the conclusion that it would be best If I got a work permit till I stayed in the country long enough to become a citizen.

I am going to be graduating from college in May with a Degree in Sports Management, focus in Kinesiology. So my problem is, I need help getting into contact with companies looking to hire. Does anyone from the UK have any advice? Are their are really good job finding websites that I could use?

I am trying to exhaust all my resources and contacts here, to see if I can come up with anything, but I just need help form someone in the UK that could give me more information.

Thanks.

Just to cover some bases here (slightly OT but this can be really important), do you have a safety net of cash to live on when you move?

Cause not only do you need to pay for the flight, get some property, furniture, all living expenses etc but finding a Job abroad is likely going to be more difficult than usually job hunting.
What if it takes a while to secure a job? What if you get one and then are fired soon after (Poor Boss, Company Shutdown etc.), you might be in bad shape in a foreign country alone if you lack the economic stability to support yourself for a while.

Or better yet, friends and family that you can rely on who happen to live in the UK?

Just to cover some bases here (slightly OT but this can be really important), do you have a safety net of cash to live on when you move?

Cause not only do you need to pay for the flight, get some property, furniture, all living expenses etc but finding a Job abroad is likely going to be more difficult than usually job hunting.
What if it takes a while to secure a job? What if you get one and then are fired soon after (Poor Boss, Company Shutdown etc.), you might be in bad shape in a foreign country alone if you lack the economic stability to support yourself for a while.

Or better yet, friends and family that you can rely on who happen to live in the UK?
Yes, I do have a safety net of cash. According to the research I have done, I would need a Tier 2 (General) Visa. A work Permit. I would have to have 945 pounds in my savings for at least 90 days prior to applying for my work permit visa. The only exception is if the company sponsoring me is considered to be A rated. (I’m not totally sure what A rated companies are or how they get A rated. I need to figure that out.)

To get a work permit, I have to be sponsored by a company. They would give me a reference number that I would send into the immigration office to prove my sponsorship. I would then be eligible for a work permit. The salary of the job must be 20,800 pounds or more. There are some exceptions, but I don’t really know much about those yet.

So to even get permission to come into the country, I would need a job. However, I could apply for a temporary travel visa and enter the country then attempt to find a job while I’m there. Then once I find a job, apply for a permanent work visa. Though that is a pretty risky route.

I don’t have any family outside the U.S. However I play college soccer with many British people who go back and visit and have families there who could help me. I also have some friends who moved back there after finishing or leaving the team here. I am talking with them and trying to use them as contacts and resources to try and find a job quicker. My parents don’t mind helping me out, but they don’t want me to go. However, I don’t think they would turn me down if I really needed help.

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum