Jessica Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Season 1 a little while ago.

Jessica Jones is proof that iconic characters from the likes of Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes, and Ghostbusters do not require recasting with a change of gender. Instead, what entertainment needs are more original female protagonists that are well written and are relevant to the generation of today and tomorrow. Much like the titular character of this web series. Kristen Ritter portrays a cynical and hardboiled detective who once lived a life as a super hero, only to settle for something quieter with less notoriety. Essentially, her character is a contemporary Sam Spade as seen by the intensity of her eyes, her intellect, assertiveness, and overall manner.

I enjoyed David Tennant's performance, albeit having the feel of a darker and more twisted version of the Doctor. Basically, it's in the vocal rhythms like "weeeeeelll..." or "oh there you are!" I wonder how much of those moments were written.

It was also really good to see Rosario Dawson carry over her role as nurse. Although it's clear she has definitely met Matt, i'm still unsure if it is after the events of Season 1 or if this is shortly after she has met him. If it was after at least the half way point of Daredevil's first season, you would have thought there would have been reference to the Fisk bombings.

Throughly enjoyed the modern noir vibe of the show along with what has to be one of the greatest soundtracks i've heard in a television series in quite a long time.

Bring on season 2!

They're won't be a season 2 for a while. :< Her story arc is currently finished since she is still having her comics written up. I guess they need to give her a new villain to fight ;____;

Jessica Rabbit is not Jessica Jones. <_<

Whatever villain comes next is going to have the quite the bar to reach thanks to Kilgrave.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Mid
While I'm super excited about the next season of Jessica Jones, I can't help but worry a little that it won't be as great as the first. From what's already been hinted at about the plot and upcoming antagonists it just leaves me feeling like it won't measure up to how awesome the Kilgrave storyline was. It's obviously too early to draw any real conclusions, but I'm hoping this show doesn't start to go downhill after such a stellar debut. If anything, the creators have already shown they can make a compelling and well-crafted story with strong characters, so maybe as more details about the second season come in my suspicions will be disproved.

• Love
Isn't Kilgrave Jessica Jone's only villain comic wise?

What could they be planning now?

Isn't Kilgrave Jessica Jone's only villain comic wise?

What could they be planning now?
Pretty much her only real villain. There isn't a lot of material to go on for her is the problem. I am scratching my head as to what they could hope to achieve in Season 2

Pretty much her only real villain. There isn't a lot of material to go on for her is the problem. I am scratching my head as to what they could hope to achieve in Season 2
Considering Luke Cage is there they might start borrowing from his villains.

Or they could just branch off from the comics and create new stories? Isn't that what they do in most super hero shows?

Problem is, we haven't really gotten used to superhero shows yet. As far as Marvel goes, we only got Daredevil, which while it hasn't followed the comics exclusively, was pretty faithful to what was written. Same goes with Jessica Jones, which I would argue was even more faithful to the comics than Daredevil was.

Daredevil has had 40+ years to work with, 20+ which are really, really good stories. Jessica Jones has 26 issues, and a mini-series working at the Daily Bugle (which doesn't exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe). They exhausted pmuch all of the JJ book. The only thing left is her with Luke Cage and their kid.

So yeah, at this point, all we got left are unique, writer's room stories for Jess, or we take stories that have happened to other heroes and adapt them towards her. I kinda want to see her powers evolve. She should be a little tougher IMO. Not invincible, and not super-super strong, but... Well, stronger. I also want to see them adapt Hellcat! Get Patty in there doin' stuff!

Whatever villain comes next is going to have the quite the bar to reach thanks to Kilgrave.
It's kind of a double edged sword. If the villain isn't quite like Kilgrave, people who don't like it will sprout nonsense on how terrible he is because he isn't the next Kilgrave and why Kilgrave is the greatest thing ever in the MCU TV part. Case in point; Loki(seriously, a Mediocre Villain from the comics becoming slightly less mediocre suddenly the greatest MCU Villain, which is bullshit in my opinion. Granted Tom Hiddleston was good, kinda wished he portrayed someone else). It happens a lot because people's expectations get astronomical and any slight deviation to "what i like is bestest" is just downright shit.

I hope he/she is nothing like Kilgrave as a character. That would be cool

I just started watching this. It's pretty good so far. Good enough in fact not to read a single damn post in this topic.

So. Yeah. That.

It's kind of a double edged sword. If the villain isn't quite like Kilgrave, people who don't like it will sprout nonsense on how terrible he is because he isn't the next Kilgrave and why Kilgrave is the greatest thing ever in the MCU TV part. Case in point; Loki(seriously, a Mediocre Villain from the comics becoming slightly less mediocre suddenly the greatest MCU Villain, which is bullshit in my opinion. Granted Tom Hiddleston was good, kinda wished he portrayed someone else). It happens a lot because people's expectations get astronomical and any slight deviation to "what i like is bestest" is just downright shit.

I hope he/she is nothing like Kilgrave as a character. That would be cool
I'm not saying the villain needs to be like Kilgrave, just that they have a bar to reach performance wise.

Loki brought us this. :3

I'm not saying the villain needs to be like Kilgrave, just that they have a bar to reach performance wise.
Vincent D'Onofrio

Vincent D'onofrios Kingping beat Tennants Purple Man in acting. There . I said it. Vincent had so many layers, such subtle control of his expression, his tone of voice.

I loved Tennant. He is a perfect choice for Ol'purps. But he did what he always did, he went back to alot of mannerisms we saw him use as the Doctor.

Vincent D'onofrios made his kingping to the best performance of his fucking life.

Eh... Personally I disagree there. But we've already been through that debate on the DD thread. No need to re-open it here.

I will say though seeing people's love of King Pin I seem to be in the minority.
That showcases what a pathetic nimrod Loki can be.

I love the scene because of that :D. Which is what he always had been, honestly.
Exactly. :P

Wait does anyone know of there is going to be more Jessica Jones? Or is it a one season thing? Because I am kind of hooked and want more!

If you scroll up and read some of the replies on this very page, they will tell you.

I also agree that that Vincent's Kingpin was masterfully done. Kilgrave was good, but nowhere near the Kingpin performance. As @Hellis pointed out, his expressions and voice were top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.