Iwaku's Words of Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise words from my eight year old:

Life is full of butts, most of them need kicked.

Girl. :P Girls can be wise too.

A referee told us these words of wisdom before we ran a race that would determine which teams would advance to state.

"If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

Here's something I have to remind myself constantly:

You are no one else but yourself, if you try to be someone else, you will fail.
Even if you don't know exactly who you are yet, it's best not to mirror other people and instead to find your own way.

You are no one else but yourself, if you try to be someone else, you will fail.
Even if you don't know exactly who you are yet, it's best not to mirror other people and instead to find your own way.
On the flip side of this, remember that if you don't like something about yourself, while you are the only one who can change it, you are also the only one who can change it. Nobody can force you to be what you aren't.

Except taxes. Pay yo taxes.

More wise words from my daughter.

The five second rule doesn't work if it lands in the toilet.

This was to her eleven year old brother who dropped a lollipop in the toilet and then asked me if he could get it out, rinse it off, and eat it.....

• Love
Reactions: Razilin
''Walking blind into anything is a symbol of weakness of the mind''

''Space and Time is easy to remember if you simply look at the thing you look with''

''Those who fear die and those who die fear not but only knowledge''

''A God is not determined by a individual nor is it determined by themselves, It is determined by the people who follow that individual''

''Humans cannot truly understand truth for the truth is to frightening''

''if one does not take chances and think beyond the normal then one cannot better themselves.''

''He who shines, shines brightest when darkness lurks''

~Solomon The Creator

If you wouldn't write it down and sign it with your name, don't say it.

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli
Never try to diagnose yourself with any sort of illness, because no matter what you do it's gonna be biased and chances are that you're gonna be wrong because of that bias.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Never try to diagnose yourself with any sort of illness, because no matter what you do it's gonna be biased and chances are that you're gonna be wrong because of that bias.
This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.

I cannot even begin to emphasize just how difficult it can be sometimes as someone who does have a mental disorder. Faking it either for attention or because you tried to self-diagnose a serious issue instead of seeing a medical professional drives me completely bonkers. Even if you mean well by it, it's not helping yourself, or me, or others like me. All it does is further screw up public perception of mental disorders through confusion. For example: One of my friends has bipolar disorder, and goes to a therapist for it. Meanwhile, my dad's met enough people who have "depression" (IE: Teenagers self-diagnosing) that he sincerely believes to cure bipolar disorder you just have to choose not to have it. No amount of arguing has changed his mind. It doesn't change the mind of most people I end up seeing that mindset from, which is now alarmingly high as the news media helps to propagate misinformation about mental disorders.

Plus, if you do have a disorder, you might need medication. I take medication for mine--it's not nearly as evil as Hollywood and those batty "all drugs are evil" groups say it is. At the very least, even if you don't end up taking medication, you'll have a medical professional who spent eight years in post-secondary specializing in helping people just like you, right at your fingertips.

"But, Brovo, I heard that therapists just want to put me on drugs for moniez!1!" Seriously? Who'd you hear that from, the eminently trustworthy news media? The same news media that constantly portrays all clinically psychotic people as school shooters and depressed people as instantly extremely suicidal madmen? From the anti-drug groups that would prefer that Polio spread throughout the population and kill thousands of children yearly instead of just taking a fucking vaccine?

Yeah, no, go see the therapist. You're not legally obligated to take the medications they prescribe you if you don't want them, though I'd recommend at least trying them, experimenting, and finding the appropriate dosage of whatever medications you take.

tl;dr: Don't fake mental disorders and don't self-diagnose for any fucking reason, it hurts you, and it hurts others. If you want to learn more though--and I welcome that--you can ask me questions. You can go here to the American Psychiatric Association's website where they go over loads of disorders and age groups. Want to know more about medications? Start here.

Also, as a personal note, while I'm alright with people portraying characters with mental disorders, I'd at least ask for a little research to be done before you go about potentially portraying me as an evil monstrous thing instead of a human being. Just a... Personal request. It's always discomforting to read someone's portrayal of my mental disorder being "EVERYBODY DIES MWAHAHAHAHAHA~ *Explosions, murder, genocide*"

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
"You gotta draw the line somewhere! You gotta draw a fuckin' line in the sand, dude! You gotta make a statement! You gotta look inside yourself and say 'What was I willing to put up with today?' NOT FUCKIN' THIS!"
-Arin Hanson

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now, you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; you put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Water can flow, or it can crash—be water, my friend" -- Bruce Lee.

I try to live by this everyday. Be water and flow.

Reactions: Brovo
This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.

I cannot even begin to emphasize just how difficult it can be sometimes as someone who does have a mental disorder. Faking it either for attention or because you tried to self-diagnose a serious issue instead of seeing a medical professional drives me completely bonkers. Even if you mean well by it, it's not helping yourself, or me, or others like me. All it does is further screw up public perception of mental disorders through confusion. For example: One of my friends has bipolar disorder, and goes to a therapist for it. Meanwhile, my dad's met enough people who have "depression" (IE: Teenagers self-diagnosing) that he sincerely believes to cure bipolar disorder you just have to choose not to have it. No amount of arguing has changed his mind. It doesn't change the mind of most people I end up seeing that mindset from, which is now alarmingly high as the news media helps to propagate misinformation about mental disorders.

Plus, if you do have a disorder, you might need medication. I take medication for mine--it's not nearly as evil as Hollywood and those batty "all drugs are evil" groups say it is. At the very least, even if you don't end up taking medication, you'll have a medical professional who spent eight years in post-secondary specializing in helping people just like you, right at your fingertips.

"But, Brovo, I heard that therapists just want to put me on drugs for moniez!1!" Seriously? Who'd you hear that from, the eminently trustworthy news media? The same news media that constantly portrays all clinically psychotic people as school shooters and depressed people as instantly extremely suicidal madmen? From the anti-drug groups that would prefer that Polio spread throughout the population and kill thousands of children yearly instead of just taking a fucking vaccine?

Yeah, no, go see the therapist. You're not legally obligated to take the medications they prescribe you if you don't want them, though I'd recommend at least trying them, experimenting, and finding the appropriate dosage of whatever medications you take.

tl;dr: Don't fake mental disorders and don't self-diagnose for any fucking reason, it hurts you, and it hurts others. If you want to learn more though--and I welcome that--you can ask me questions. You can go here to the American Psychiatric Association's website where they go over loads of disorders and age groups. Want to know more about medications? Start here.

Also, as a personal note, while I'm alright with people portraying characters with mental disorders, I'd at least ask for a little research to be done before you go about potentially portraying me as an evil monstrous thing instead of a human being. Just a... Personal request. It's always discomforting to read someone's portrayal of my mental disorder being "EVERYBODY DIES MWAHAHAHAHAHA~ *Explosions, murder, genocide*"
When I read the original quote, I took it as "don't go looking on WebMD with vague symptoms because chances are you'll end up thinking you're going to die in two days". I definitely agree with what you have said as well.

One that always rings through my head, especially around this time when I'm studying for finals, "anything worth doing is going to be hard"

Don't put rubber cement on your skin it does not come off like elmers glue when dry you will only suffer.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.