Iwaku's Pokemon Tournament -Closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F0X

cropped-random_pokemon_cover-474268.jpg

An Idea came to mind... "What if we set up a pokemon event for all the Pokemon lovers out there where you had to run a gauntlet of battles, going against different Iwaku members who were the Gym Leaders, and Finally the Elite Four and Champion!"

What this would be:

Iwaku members signing up to be Gym Leaders following the same rules as they do, picking a type and using pokemon of that type.
Iwaku members signing up to be an Elite Four Member following the same rule as they do, picking a type and using pokemon of that type.
Iwaku members signing up to be the Champion, making a balanced team to challenge the players.

As players:
Players who can complete all 13 battles will be put into a Pokemon Tournament, organized by me, to compete for a grand prize that I would decide on closer to the actual tournament itself. The first 8 players to complete the event would be entered into the tournament, and the victor would walk away with the prize and bragging rights of being Iwaku's champion!!

Rules About your TEAM
1. No Legendary Pokemon On Your Team
2. No Duplicate Pokemon On Your Team
3. No Duplicate Items On your Team
4. Teams are LOCKED and Cannot be changed once Submitted
4a. Meaning you pick 6 pokemon, and that is who you battle all gym leaders with, and who you will submit for the pokemon tournament at the end. Switching a Pokemon from your team Requires you to start the challenge all over again starting with the first Gym Leader.
5. Pokemon Base Stat Totals May NOT Exceed: 3,700
*Meaning of this rule is that the total of your Base Stats of all 6 of your pokemon cannot exceed the 3,800 Limit.
hW0JKFb.png
6. Your Team must comply with Kalos Battle Rules, meaning that moves and Mega-Evolutions must be found within the X/Y Games. This is the list of Mega Evolutions that can be used:
List
Mega Venusaur
Mega Charizard X
Mega Charizard Y
Mega Blastoise
Mega Alakazam
Mega Gengar
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Pinsir
Mega Gyarados
Mega Aerodactyl
Mega Ampharos
Mega Scizor
Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Blaziken
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Mawile
Mega Aggron
Mega Medicham
Mega Manectric
Mega Banette
Mega Absol
Mega Garchomp
Mega Lucario
Mega Abomasnow
Games That Can Be Used
Pokemon X
Pokemon Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Alpha Saphire
MORE MAY BE ADDED TO THIS POST

• Love
Reactions: Kye
Alright, I was thinking the same and I was like, "EVEN SHOWDOWN GETS APRIL FOOLS JOKES!!! UGH I HATE TODAY!"

I agree that showdown would be more time efficient and take less work, but I like the idea of working to build up your team and taking pride in all that effort.

Besides, I already went and bred a box full of Venipede for this, and what the heck am I gonna do with all that trash if I can't at least use one in the upcoming battles?

• Love
Reactions: F0X
I also have already started crafting my team and I've put in quite a few hours already to it myself, another reason why I am much more against Showdown.

I am in no rush at all to get started! What I am planning currently is to give another week for new people to sign up for the one E4 slot and other Gym Leader slots. If we don't have enough to fill all the slots by 4/7, then I can do one of two things:
1. Have the players who wish to make another team for another gym be able to do so! Having players double up would cut the "staff" needed in half, and if the current players we have now were willing to do this, we'd be able to start already.
2. I will fill every other position that isn't filled, moving one of the Gym Leaders into the last E4 slot, staggering the other members so that I am alternating every other team. I have NO PROBLEM making 6 other teams. I will do it, and have a blast with it! But I'd much rather we have each Gym run by another player.

Also, the Prizes I had in mind are way too much for something like showdown. It takes 0 effort to do this event there, thus the reward I will be offering for completing the event will be... Well... Minimal.

Well, I understand that it would make things quicker and more people would be able to do it, but it just takes away from the effort you need to do to make your team the best they can be. Again, I want to reward players who put that extra time in. However, I have heard this suggestion again and again, so I first want to have the opinion of the E4/Gym Leaders that have signed up, and if it is mixed, I will open it up for a poll. I want it to be fun for everyone, and while Pokemon Showdown wouldn't be as fun for me, I am willing to do it if that is what everyone wants to do.

@Mahariel @Moonlit Blade @Sen @Opal @Xnijmai @Yatagarasu
Personally, I don't care either way. I already have my team set up and if we're going through with DS I can just tweak it a bit more. But if people want Showdown, then I guess. I do like the whole 'I beat them with creatures I raised with my blood sweat and tears!' experience, but yeah I understand where people are coming from.

Though there might be more issues like OU teams created by challengers against the GL/E4's 'limited Pokemon pool'.

• Thank You
Aw, I love this idea, if I was as experienced in competitive batting as I'd like to be, I'd join. c:

Aw, I love this idea, if I was as experienced in competitive batting as I'd like to be, I'd join. c:
I can teach you the ways of the force. Oh wait.. wrong universe.. but seriously I could totally help you and teach you all about it :)

Reactions: mango
I can teach you the ways of the force. Oh wait.. wrong universe.. but seriously I could totally help you and teach you all about it :)
Appreciate the order (: I've got a long way to go, but if you've got the time and smarts to spare I'd be grateful!

• Love
So, pros/cons for Showdown and Game: • is Pros, ♪ is Cons.

For Showdown:

• Allows people who don't have the time to breed/train to enter.
• Levels the playing field for everyone who can't put the time in to breed IVs.
• Competition is now based moreso on skill than breeding ability.
• Takes RNJesus out of the stat equation.
• Allows everyone to play with any Pokemon without restriction to Kalos rules.
♪ Removes the patience and satisfaction of breeding for perfect IVs from battle.
♪ Could make the Gym Challenge more of a, "Oh, I lost? I'll just switch one perfect Pokemon for another," kinda taking the challenge out of it.
♪ Heatran. Heatran everywhere.

For Games:

• Allows players to play with Pokemon they bred and raised.
• Lets people put some more time into making a team.
• For those that it matters with, a sense of accomplishment, a "I did this with Pokemon I raised!"
• Can show of shinies, awww yeah!
• Can also promote trading with people that would like to.
♪ Limits players to Kalos rules, basically cutting off a significant amount of Megas.
♪ Not everyone may have XY or OrAs, meaning they might be unable to obtain certain move tutor moves.

EDIT: Formatting.

If anyone needs any help breeding/training any pokemon let me know! I have no problem making things easier for anyone if I can, and I can train a pokemon with perfect EV's in about 2, three hours tops? I can also breed for someone looking for a specific nature if its being troublesome for you.

Basically let me know if anyone needs anything because I am here to help! This goes for any players as well!

Oh, is this not going to be on Showdown? :0 If not, I might have to drop. :(

Oh, is this not going to be on Showdown? :0 If not, I might have to drop. :(
This is a discussion that is going on and any input would be greatly appreciated.

It seems no one is really interested in the investment aspect of this event, which I understand completely, just wasn't what I was looking for.

If I do make it for showdown, rules will be COMPLETELY different than what I have now, as will the end results of the final event.

Edit: Correction, its not that no one is interested. I have gotten feed back from a lot of Gym Leaders showing interest in it, but its work.

I get that it's work guys, but its part of the fun of pokemon. I want to be able to reward the effort people put into this, but showdown takes 0% effort, so I'll be willing to put up 0% reward. But if everyone would have more fun doing it on Showdown, I can most certainly draft up a new idea and we can run it there.

Last edited:
-breeding for IVs-

fuck that shit -cries-
Yeah, it takes a really long time to breed for IV's, something that I don't really focus too heavily on myself. When breeding for good Nature/Ability I stop by the IV Checker, and if something is really poor in a stat I need, then I breed another. Otherwise, I personally look at IV's as bonus points. They are great to have, but you can still make an amazing team without Maxing your IV's. And, for an event like this, I am not expecting everyone to perfectly train their IV's for every pokemon, but if you do, power to you!

I'm just thankful I was already in the process of breeding for a shiny Froakie. :I In fact, I even got a 6 IV Froakie... but it had Torrent, not Protean. QQ

I'm just thankful I was already in the process of breeding for a shiny Froakie. :I In fact, I even got a 6 IV Froakie... but it had Torrent, not Protean. QQ
Well at least its great for breeding! ^.^

Fair enough.

I will say that using Showdown might be easier in the sense that not everyone owns the 3DS or the latest versions of Pokemon. However, you're right that the games hold more commitment and, in some sense, accomplishment(since you'd be using Pokemon you actually trained, yourself).

Status
Not open for further replies.