Iwaku's Pokemon Tournament -Closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F0X

cropped-random_pokemon_cover-474268.jpg

An Idea came to mind... "What if we set up a pokemon event for all the Pokemon lovers out there where you had to run a gauntlet of battles, going against different Iwaku members who were the Gym Leaders, and Finally the Elite Four and Champion!"

What this would be:

Iwaku members signing up to be Gym Leaders following the same rules as they do, picking a type and using pokemon of that type.
Iwaku members signing up to be an Elite Four Member following the same rule as they do, picking a type and using pokemon of that type.
Iwaku members signing up to be the Champion, making a balanced team to challenge the players.

As players:
Players who can complete all 13 battles will be put into a Pokemon Tournament, organized by me, to compete for a grand prize that I would decide on closer to the actual tournament itself. The first 8 players to complete the event would be entered into the tournament, and the victor would walk away with the prize and bragging rights of being Iwaku's champion!!

Rules About your TEAM
1. No Legendary Pokemon On Your Team
2. No Duplicate Pokemon On Your Team
3. No Duplicate Items On your Team
4. Teams are LOCKED and Cannot be changed once Submitted
4a. Meaning you pick 6 pokemon, and that is who you battle all gym leaders with, and who you will submit for the pokemon tournament at the end. Switching a Pokemon from your team Requires you to start the challenge all over again starting with the first Gym Leader.
5. Pokemon Base Stat Totals May NOT Exceed: 3,700
*Meaning of this rule is that the total of your Base Stats of all 6 of your pokemon cannot exceed the 3,800 Limit.
hW0JKFb.png
6. Your Team must comply with Kalos Battle Rules, meaning that moves and Mega-Evolutions must be found within the X/Y Games. This is the list of Mega Evolutions that can be used:
List
Mega Venusaur
Mega Charizard X
Mega Charizard Y
Mega Blastoise
Mega Alakazam
Mega Gengar
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Pinsir
Mega Gyarados
Mega Aerodactyl
Mega Ampharos
Mega Scizor
Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Blaziken
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Mawile
Mega Aggron
Mega Medicham
Mega Manectric
Mega Banette
Mega Absol
Mega Garchomp
Mega Lucario
Mega Abomasnow
Games That Can Be Used
Pokemon X
Pokemon Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Alpha Saphire
MORE MAY BE ADDED TO THIS POST

• Love
Reactions: Kye
Making a switch from Dragon to Steel. I can play around with Steel types a lot more than Dragons.

@Mahariel @Moonlit Blade @Yatagarasu @Sen @Opal @MelFon

Any ideas for your teams? I am excited to see them!!

Also! I was curious how long it would take everyone to formulate their team? I am still waiting for a few people, but I have some players who have messaged me about being Gym leaders if we don't get enough, but they'd rather be players!

Just wanted to check with you guys and thank you for signing up to be apart of this event!

@F0X
I recently purchased Stardew Valley and have been completely obsessed with it :I I've done a little bit of thinking but haven't put together a solid team yet. Once I do, though, I will need to take time to breed for all of my Pokemon, so I'm not sure how long it will take overall.

Alright @Opal !! I am trying to get a feel for how long it will take everyone so I can put a timeline together for when the registration should open up for players. We still need more gym members at the moment, but I am just trying to touch bases with everyone. ^.^

Aw, shit, just realized I can't use Mega Sableye

RIP :'(

I know, it is rough for @Moonlit Blade too, he can't use Mega Salamance, and thus he is switching to Steel to have more options. But, like another player said, all it takes is one person to be on X/Y and then we have to be on Kanto rules, so its best to prepare for that ahead of time and roll with it.

Hmm I've been working on my Dark type team (have four sure picks, but struggling with the last two,) but I'm going to putz around with Ghost types as well. If I find a Ghost type team that works better, I may switch! For some reason I thought Ghost was already taken ?_?

Ghosts were @Moonlit Blade 's first choice, but then he opted for Dragon, then Opted for Steel. HE JUST CAN'T MAKE UP HIS MIND!

But I think he is locked for Steel now, yes?

@Opal, you can still pick: Mega Gyarados, Mega Houndoom, Mega Tyranitar, & Mega Absol! =P

@F0X
Yeah, I picked Mega Houndoom. Looking at ghost-type Pokemon (just out of curiosity): Rotom stops counting as Ghost if it's using a different form, right?

@F0X
Yeah, I picked Mega Houndoom. Looking at ghost-type Pokemon (just out of curiosity): Rotom stops counting as Ghost if it's using a different form, right?
Correct, only Rotom normal is Electric Ghost.

Well, I would have picked Electricity Fire since Steel was taken but...

I agree with @Cpt Toellner, showdown is probably needed for this.
I'll put why in the spoilers because I feel like it should be stated, but I also get that you guys seem committed to the DS and likely don't want to argue it.
Like, I get the appeal of the DS I really do, but it's main issue there is time to prepare.
  • Without time a lot of people will lack availability to train a team for just one event (especially one you'll likely need to start ASAP to keep peoples interest and avoid drop outs).
  • Without time it's going to unbalance the game. People who bother to EV train and Nature Breed are going to wipe the floor with others, which adds a lot less of a skill competition and more of a Munchkin competition, just Muchkins have a time cost.
  • Plus all the time required to even wonder trade or manually trade enough to get all the pokemon together possible for such a team.
  • There's also the matter of getting 20 people (8 Leaders, 8 Trainers, 4 Elite Four) to commit to even making a specialized team for a one-off event in the first place, where even if time management isn't an issue, the willingness to invest the time would still be one.
And for me personally? My reasoning's are more along the willingness to invest for a one-off, and because of EV/Nature balance. And I've already seen people sign up who I know for a fact will wipe me on the DS due to such, while on Showdown I'd at least have a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Well, I understand that it would make things quicker and more people would be able to do it, but it just takes away from the effort you need to do to make your team the best they can be. Again, I want to reward players who put that extra time in. However, I have heard this suggestion again and again, so I first want to have the opinion of the E4/Gym Leaders that have signed up, and if it is mixed, I will open it up for a poll. I want it to be fun for everyone, and while Pokemon Showdown wouldn't be as fun for me, I am willing to do it if that is what everyone wants to do.

@Mahariel @Moonlit Blade @Sen @Opal @Xnijmai @Yatagarasu

I'm fine either way, but it could take over a month for everyone to be ready to battle if we went the old fashioned way. Breeding/EV training can take a really long time. While I have a few Pokemon from previous generations that are battle ready, I certainly don't have them all. If I go with Dark instead of Ghost, I only have 2 out of 6 Pokemon from B/W, and one of those I'm not even sure if I'm going to use! If I went with Ghost, then I would have 3.

Pokemon Showdown would enable everyone to participate in a timely manner. It might not be as exciting, but it's certainly more efficient.

• Thank You
Reactions: F0X
Also, random note, I downloaded Showdown and went to spectate a battle and... @.@
QE4CiZc.png

What is up with these drawings!??!
Don't you know? Pokemon always looked like that. But Nintendo stole the idea and needed to make the pokemon look different to avoid copyright. :3

Seriously though that's fan art, the pokemon in it look the same as in the games.

Don't you know? Pokemon always looked like that. But Nintendo stole the idea and needed to make the pokemon look different to avoid copyright. :3

Seriously though that's fan art, the pokemon in it look the same as in the games.
I must be missing something because that is how the art is in every battle I look at XD

I must be missing something because that is how the art is in every battle I look at XD
April Fool's Day is my thought

boy I can't wait for April 2nd

6hN3U.jpg

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Check the date. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.