Iwaku's Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far as Game Engine, Unity 3D is pretty useful, but there WILL Be Programming required, though the documentation is good enough that you can muddle through. you will need software to create sprites or models and textures externally.

Unity has a free version, and Blender is a great 3D program, though Blender has a steep learning curve.

www.blender.org

www.unity3d.com

It's going in a Stanley parable type direction and I'm letting members who are interested write and narrate their own branch. Or just write.
Yea that's what I was afraid of

Can't help you with that

I didn't see your post! I'm sorry! What was it? :)
Since my dream job is being a video game designer I'd more than pleased to help to help you with this. I can pretty much make class concepts (Not concept art, concept, story, main focus,etc), write stories, give some ideas, etc.

Uhm... Free programs that need no codding? Well, like that I only know RPG Maker.

That was the post.

So until now, what are you thinking on? I mean, do you have a clear view of what you want or just a blurry image? Or are we doing this from the scraps?

Not really sure how you'd classify it....do you know the Stanley parable?

Not really sure how you'd classify it....do you know the Stanley parable?
A stanley parable type of a game? That sounds like a sweet deal. If made well, of course.

That said, I know I am new around here - just signed up yesterday, but couldn't help but reply. Although I can't really help out with the coding, I am always up for throwing some ideas into the mix.

Also, I don't know whether my voice would be good enough for any sort of voice acting, but you never know.

Also2, you haven't mentioned it, so I assume you have your person for that already (or you are that person yourself), but what about the soundtrack? Have you thought about having original soundtrack, because if yes - I can bring something good to the table, as I am a producer. And am versatile, worked with a lot of genres in the past - so a soundtrack for a stanley parable-esque game (read: elevator music :P ) would be a nice challenge. Although I do believe I'd be able to get some good results.

Reactions: Lewi
OH WOW! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! To have an original soundtrack! :P And I would love more ideas in the mix! I also would like more entries for the voice acting.

@1Gr1mm-AOM

@Lewi - alright, great to hear that.

My flight plan for now, though, is get some sleep, as it's 4 AM, and I'm kinda deadish at this point. But tomorrow, I'll drop by and read the entire thread (and anything else if you have for me to read that is not here and should be read) and maybe throw in some ideas. I can send you a link to my work, although it's easy to find it really.

Aaand... I'll see whether I can gather up some courage to enter the voice acting fray :P

Reactions: Lewi
@Lewi

Phew, read through it all at lat!

I have to say that I thought at first I'd have no ideas to share, since it's a pretty sucky day weather-wise and I feel like I've been run over by a rhino. But that's cool, rhinos are just slightly chubby unicorns. Going off topic here.

I don't know which of the ideas mentioned in the thread you're going to implement - but someone mentioned a hub-like beginning for the game. Now, depending on the story and the length of it - that could be good, giving it replay value and prompting players to explore more. I can imagine (in my head) an intro by the player being elevated on a platform - subtly epic music playing in the background, while the narrator is hyping the events that are about to unfold.

The platform stops at the HUB, the player prompted to make his choice - one door that would lead him towards his destiny. What is his destiny, though? If the PC is made to be a roleplay character, starting out as a blank character sheet, you know, a... faceless, and then morphing more and more into a hero - or a villain - depending on the branch he chooses. He is promised to become a living being, spending his life as the main character of the story he chose.

It would also be fun to have a few hidden doors or random events that teleport the player to an area/branch that is a skewed version of the chosen branch, or a collaborative branch between two sub-narrators (Iwakurians that voice their own branch).

Now, although it seems that you've decided for it to be a Stanley Parable parody, that is not bad either, but I don't know why I'm so excited by thinking about a potential original game. :P

Also, if you want to fuse original elements into a Stanley Parable-esque concept, you can always make the narrator different, yet equally hilarious. Good example of that is a unnecessarily epic narrator, hyping every action like it was the best thing ever - or the worst, depending whether he/she likes it or not.

You've already started working on unity, right? I was about to say that I remembered that a friend of mine is actually making a game with his group - and they were using cry engine 3, but moved to unreal engine 4 (since it was made free - cry 3, crysis, evolve - are just some games made on unreal engine 4, so it's safe to say it's a great engine to use for a game that would probably implement a lot of different elements to it).

As for writing - I believe I said yesterday that I would be able to help with that (too lazy to scroll up), since I've already worked on a couple larger scale projects and have experience with tying the story together, possibly making something with deeper meaning - if the day is right. Although, that is slightly redundant to say as I believe most, if not all, people on Iwaku have experience with writing haha

Ah yes, music - I'll put a link in a spoiler, so you can check it out, I don't have that many songs on my YT channel as a lot of them are still in the workshop (meant to be full-pledged, vocal-esque songs, so it takes me a lot to make them).

Alright, this has went on for long enough. Only thing that I have to mention is that I have quite a bit of projects of my own to work on, so I may be busy every now and then, but if this gets of the ground - you can be sure that I'll put my heart into it.

<3

That is all wonderful! It just depends on how the intro works out for the narrator for me because I not sure what kind of narrator I'm looking for yet. Also, please keep in mind I'm working with unity engine and I'm having some issues with coding. So there's that and I'm running into issues by having to use free models to. For gods sake I found there was only 3 doors. 3! That I could use without paying and I had to heavily modify a light model to even remotely look right and that took hours (I'm no artist) so if you know a person willing to let me borrow their models for certain stuff or anything about coding that would be great.

@1Gr1mm-AOM

@Lewi I might try contacting a few people and see what kind of models they are using and if good, would they be willing to lend them.

Not promising anything though

Status
Not open for further replies.