Not open for further replies.

jared555

Hostman / BOFH
Original poster
SERVER TECHNICIAN
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
UPDATE: LOOK AT THE DATE POSTED BEFORE READING

Due to Iwaku's increased server demands and rising costs I have been working on a system based on the design of Bitcoin and the many distributed computing projects that exist now. This seemed like the perfect day to announce it.

Starting in one month (May 1) Iwaku will be moved to a distributed computing system called IwakuNet. You will be able to download software for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS, or VMS. Once installed your computer will be integrated into IwakuNet.

This system is designed to permanently eliminate the need for server hardware upgrades because the more people that are on the site the more processing power will be available. Performance will be greatly improved for you as well because some of the data needed to access the site will be located on your computer instead of a remote server.

Now, I understand that not everyone will be able to run this software on their computer/phone/tablet for various reasons and that is ok. To make sure that everyone is able to participate but still support the site I have implemented a system called RoryCoin.

You will receive RoryCoins based on how much processor power you are contributing to the site. The baseline is a dual core i5 processor at 50% load, I decided to name it for another one of the site admins so it will be called a VayCore. You will receive 1 RoryCoin per VayCore per hour. I plan on releasing a database of how many VayCore's various equipment has. As time goes on it will require more and more processing power to earn a RoryCoin.

If for some reason you are unable to run the software you can purchase/barter RoryCoins from fellow members. Additionally, starting in a month you will be able to delete previous posts in exchange for RoryCoins. The number of coins you receive will be based on the quality of the post as determined by Iwaku staff and its age.

You will also receive RoryCoins when you sign up for webhosting based on the average price people are currently selling RoryCoins for.

Making 1 post costs 1 RoryCoin
1 chat message costs 0.1 RoryCoin
1 Like/Love/Etc. costs 0.5 RoryCoin

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Last edited:
Maybe this is because I'm half-asleep while reading this, but will this affect the common users of Iwaku who just want to roleplay on-the-go as well as at home on occasion? For instance, will I still be able to roleplay like normal on a sub-par laptop as well as on my phone? I'm just a bit confused is all. Sorry if this is blatantly obvious.

I was going to ask the same thing as moogle do I have to download this new server to continue to use the site? Because if I don't have to I'd personally rather not. I'm on all the time sure but I find what I currently have working fine and don't see a need to change anything

A few questions:

Firstly, and by far the most important: Can I disable the software when I need to? If it's going to use up 50% of my processing power that means I won't be able to play most games while it's running which is obviously going to mean that if I can't disable it when I want to play games, I'm not going to install it at all.

Second: What are the Rorycoins actually used for? Is there any point to having them or is it just an amusing gimmick?

As for the deleting of older posts in exchange for coins, I assume that's to decrease the amount of data being stored on the network? Sensible idea.

Although this whole system does feel rather similar to one of those viruses that turns the host computer into a zombie that mines bitcoins for the original creator...

Of course as Aizen says it does seem rather suspicious.

Reactions: Phi Chisym and Andy
I've read this three times and I'm still having trouble understanding one thing: What exactly are the RoryCoins used for?

If this is an April fools joke I'm not finding it all that amusing.

I agree with @Kaz im so completely computer dumb I have no idea if it's a joke lol and with how my luck has been today this would be the icing on the cake

Reactions: Andy
Yeah this is 100% an april fools joke then. Jared you ought to have said that it was maybe 20 Rorycoins per Vaycore per hour, since making a single post costs 1. 1 post an hour would kill any forum.

So... Basically it's going to cost us 'RoryCoins' if we want to reply to a forum?
Also, are the RoryCoins a thing everyone will have to deal with, or just those who cannot download the software?

So do I :D What makes it worse is I have a friend also called rory (well, spelled rauridh) who is also ginger and also wouldn't be very good at acting.

Its also not a good idea to play april fools jokes on people who are tired and dont want to sleep yet

Reactions: Lewi and Kaz
I agree with Aizen. Lest you want a revolt of tired and angry rpers!!!

Lol jk XD

Reactions: FaithfulAizen
Status
Not open for further replies.