Iwaku wants YOU

aaaah

do want

but

mehhhhh :(

With me constantly talking about how busy I am, I feel like any onlooker would think that me trying to send in an (additional) application would be a bad idea. Sure, I know that the amount of spoons needed to do staff-related work is pretty much negligible and that none of it really feels like work, but still... I feel like I just sound like I'm deluding myself by saying that.

Not to mention that all my RPs are kind of on hiatus right now as I attempt to survive the semester. So I'm probably not even eligible anymore. >< (and that's even ignoring that other reason why I'm probably still not eligible at all)

Which is all a real shame because... damn, I really would like to. ><

I do have to second what everyone else has said about how you should all totally apply, though. Being part of the staff family really is a great experience, and the staff Discord channel is probably at least 10x more wild and entertaining than the main channel.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Reina
Staff is one big ball pit of fun. Pls join

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Joan and Greenie
Suggesting you're going to eat me isn't going to convince me to fill out an application :P
Nah, it's just cooking you into what will hopefully be a nice red color XD at least, that's what they told me...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: noodle
Nah, it's just cooking you into what will hopefully be a nice red color XD at least, that's what they told me...
Oh jeez XD

YAH! We don't eat people... *nervouslaughter*

Hey nerds, stop scaring off all the hopefuls. :P

We have interncupcakes! 8D <3

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Seriously though, if someone wants to apply, then do so. It's really not as scary as you might make it out to be in your head.

Yeah, it's a responsibility, but one that any active member can perform. I joined staff back when I was working almost 12 hours a day, and I got my stuff done with more than enough time to spare! We'll take care of you lot so you don't have to worry about being a little clueless at first. Heck, even now we still have questions we ask. It's all about learning and applying.

So yeah, don't be scared :bsmile:

• Love
Reactions: Joan and noodle
We have interncupcakes! 8D <3
Are those for everyone who applies? Or only for those who make the cut?

If it's only for those who make the cut, then I WANT COOKIES! WHERE ARE THE COOKIES FOR ALL APPLICANTS?!

But if it's for everyone who applies, then why didn't I get one :<

Are those for everyone who applies? Or only for those who make the cut?

If it's only for those who make the cut, then I WANT COOKIES! WHERE ARE THE COOKIES FOR ALL APPLICANTS?!

But if it's for everyone who applies, then why didn't I get one :<
YOU WILL GET ALL THE COOKIES! 8D <3

*showers in cookies*

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Navuso
My gosh, there's so many more staff in here than people who're interested.

For people interested in staff:

Can I just clarify that being outgoing or friendly is not a requirement? Nor is having tons of free time. I mean, if you're working 45 hrs/week and tend to just wanna go home and sleep every day, then staff might be hard for you, but people really think you need to be like Liam Neeson ("I have a very particular set of skills." hurdur) or excessively popular to be in staff and it's really not like that. I'm a college student and during my most productive times on staff I was also working in a lab 20 hours a week on top of a full-time student's schedule. That was pretty hard, but my point is that it's doable if it's something you want to try, and personally it helped get me through and survive that crazy business going on in my IRL life. xD A number of us are also super introvert nerds who screech when it comes to people. You do have to archive things and/or be somewhat active around the community (you also get to make or help run fun events if you wanna), but that's surprisingly less work than one might think.

It is also 100% okay to get fired or resign. Uh... What I mean by that is not like "get fired and banned for being a butt and causing problems" but as in, you're allowed to become an intern and realize that you don't like it or you're not in the right place in life because life obligations are crippling you and you can't spend much time on Iwaku anymore. You are allowed to take vacations and let the admins know. You're also allowed to say "I don't like this bye," or to leave staff and reapply later when you think you can handle it. No one is going to judge you for any of that, so there's no reason to be SCARED of APPLYING. It's not a marriage. xD

I don't know that I'd call being Staff easy, but it is definitely not terribly hard. There are times we will remove people from Staff. This may be because of any number of reasons, but usually because:

1. They don't have time to be Staff and didn't realize or admit it on their own.

2. They are clearly stressed out and we're worried about their mental health.

3. They were not necessarily causing trouble themselves, but they didn't handle certain situations according to expectations for Staff behavior.

4. They WERE actually being a shit or breaking rules. (This almost never happens.)

5. They did absolutely nothing after being hired, for whatever reason.

In all but the last two cases, they're welcome to reapply later and often do come back.

Seriously, staffing is a lot of fun! It hardly feels like work, most days! =D

Well, I guess I should put the jokings aside too and be a bit encouraging xD.

Back in February (when I first applied for being staff) I knew nothing when it came to being a staff member on Iwaku xD Of course, I knew a little bit about community, security, and maintenance (like the basics of what they do because it's rather obvious). I had no previous experience moderating a site, using XenForo or anything at all. I was like most members on this site (I'd imagine), only using it for roleplay and to meet people, not thinking of moderation and stuff.

I ended up applying in (more than likely xD) a very cheesy way, trying to sell myself to the best of my non-confident capabilities and then applied with the thoughts of it getting denied because I (while I wanted to be a staff) didn't think I held the qualifications xD

I got hired as an intern in March, and through many months of failing, learning, and more than likely, being a bit work as an intern (sorry about that staff-senpais :X) I became a staff member in September 8D <3

Of course, you might be a better and faster learner than me, but basically what I'm trying to share (with this too long of a post xD) is that even if you don't know anything NOW, a part of being an intern is to LEARN. Of course, you shouldn't apply for the heck of it, but if you want to but don't think you're qualified because of petty things as no experience, don't know what to do, no clue how to use XenForo. . .

Don't worry, that's the stuff we'll help you with ;D <3

TL;DR:
Apply 8D <3

Being on staff is great. Not only does it let me help out in a community that I love, but having responsibilities and being held accountable for stuff (like holding events, running them smoothly, etc) has helped me grow as a person. It's taught me the importance of communication, and that no matter how much I want to do something my own way or on my own, that is rarely the best way to work. It's taught me teamwork, and trusting my "colleagues" is just as important as trusting myself - I want others to trust me when I bring up an idea for a new event, or when I ask a question. It's a huge part of why I love being on staff.

Because of that trust, I have made some valuable friends. They got my back and I got theirs, and we are all the more stronger thanks to it!

We are also goofy shits and it's to the point where we have running gags for almost all of us (who are active on Discord).

If I didn't have too many real life committments, perhaps. c:

• Love
Reactions: Joan