OFFICIAL EVENT Iwaku Summer Book Club!

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

What books should we read this summer?

• Historical Fiction: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab

• Historical Fiction: Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

• Thriller: Blackout by Marco Carocari

• Thriller: I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll

• Humor: Mort by Terry Pratchett

• Humor: The Guncle by Steven Rowley

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Reina

The Queen
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
  5. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
In the mornings usually but only during the week. Weekends are devoted to the family.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Modern, Magical, Romance, Medieval, Fantasy, Slice of Life
IWAKU SUMMER BOOK CLUB

Guess who's back? Back again? Book clubs back, book clubs back...

And just as last June, we are bringing forth the Iwaku Summer Book Club! As a little reminder, this club's purpose is to bring members together to read some books and discuss them afterward. If you have a goal of pages or books to read before the end of the year, this may help you get there! This is our third year bringing this club back, so I hope more and more of you will join us.

Let's take a quick walk down memory lane and give a shoutout to books read over the past two years!

In 2022 the Book Club Themes were Fantasy, Mystery, and Fiction. We read Ariadne by Jennifer Saint, The 7 and 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, and Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune. The favorite for the summer was Under the Whispering Door.

In 2023 the Book Club Themes were Sci-Fi, Horror, and Adventure. All books were Pride month themed and they either had a queer character or were written by queer authors. We read Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo, and The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez. Gideon the Ninth was the favorite of the summer with some members choosing to read the entire series! (This writer included!)

We can't wait to see what everyone's favorite will be this year!

Things You'll Need to Know:
  • The official goal is to read 3 books in total. Each of which is picked from different genres and voted on what will be read out of the options offered.
  • All of the books chosen are 400-600 pages.
  • The discussions will take place on a book club discussion thread that will be linked after votes are announced.
  • After a book is completed, there will be 30-60 minute voice chat in the Iwaku Discord that anyone can hop in on! All for a live discussion.
  • You don't need to read all of the books to participate, you only need to read one of them with us.
  • Readings for each week will be assigned by chapters.
  • Anyone can join at any time!
  • If you're interested, cast your votes and hop in with us.

Feel free to get any style of book you'd like! Can be hardcover, paperback, kindle, and even audiobook.

Without, further ado, the three genres chosen for this summer are:

Historical Fiction - Thriller - Humor

Vote on which book for each category you would like to read this summer! Voting will last until June 14th at 11:59PM EST and thereafter myself or @MaryGold will post what books were chosen to be read. June 21st is when the first chapter readings will be posted. The time between the 14th and and 21st will be time for participants to retrieve the book(s).

Historical Fiction
HISTORICAL-FICTION-BOOKS.jpg

THRILLER
THRILLER-BOOKS.jpg

HUMOR
Humor-Books.jpg

BUT THE GRUNCLE, Y'ALL! THAT ONE LOOKS SO CUTE! WE ALREADY *KNOW* WE ALL LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT! D:<

• Unicorn
Reactions: Reina
BUT THE GRUNCLE, Y'ALL! THAT ONE LOOKS SO CUTE! WE ALREADY *KNOW* WE ALL LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT! D:<
I voted for the Guncle actually. Hey, if any of y'all want to change your vote, I have a good reason to not start with Mort. It's the 4th Discworld book and not the 1st, so we would be reading them out of order.

I voted for the Guncle actually. Hey, if any of y'all want to change your vote, I have a good reason to not start with Mort. It's the 4th Discworld book and not the 1st, so we would be reading them out of order.
I'm partial to The Guncle myself (I want to read the sequel so give me an excuse to reread it people!) however, Mort by Terry Pratchett can be read as a standalone book. It's the first book in the Death subseries of the Discworld series, but the Discworld novels can be read in any order.

C'MON GRUNCLE WE'RE SO CLOSE!

I'm partial to The Guncle myself (I want to read the sequel so give me an excuse to reread it people!) however, Mort by Terry Pratchett can be read as a standalone book. It's the first book in the Death subseries of the Discworld series, but the Discworld novels can be read in any order.
Kind of like the Clockwork Angels books!

That's good to know.

I'm still team Guncle.

I'm going to change my vote to Mort from Guncle to break the tie breaker 🤣

YAAAASSS BEND TO MY WIIIIILLLL

I changed my vote to make y'all happy

• Haha
Reactions: iridescent
I've never been part of a book club, before, but I HAVE stated, at least a handful of times this year, that I absolutely need to read for leisure purposes, more. x'D

Mehbeh this could be a good foray back into it.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: Lyrikai
JOOOIIIN UUUUSSS as we all get the books and then only 3 people actually read it cause the rest of us are delinquents

• Love
Reactions: ThatDamnedSuccubus
JOOOIIIN UUUUSSS as we all get the books and then only 3 people actually read it cause the rest of us are delinquents
I'm one of the three who isn't a delinquent and reads all the books we pick for the club (*Casually sweeps away the ones we don't read away*) Don't worry about those ones.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows

This is very encouraging, owl mom. x'D

I think I may partake of the literary fun, then. I can't promise sticking around until the end [busy, tired, blah blah], but I'll be having a great time until I bow out, I promise lolol

• Unicorn
  • Love
Reactions: Reina and Lyrikai
IT'S ME! I AM THE DELINQUENT!

• Haha
Reactions: Reina and Lyrikai
Oh damn I guess I better buy some books!

@ThatDamnedSuccubus You're welcome to borrow them and we can read together!

Last edited:
You can bet your ass that I will vote for Terry Pratchett.

• Haha
Team Guncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bucket of Rainbows