Iwaku Summer Book Club

What books should we read this Summer? (Only select one from each genre)

• MYSTERY: The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • MYSTERY: The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • FANTASY: Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • FANTASY: A Far Wilder Magic by Allison Saft

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • FICTION: The Ballad of Never After by Stephanie Garber

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • FICTION: Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaryGold

terrified to be known, desperate to be understood
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Genres
romance. angst. drama. modern. fantasy. supernatural. adventure. crime. period pieces.
Book Club Title.gif

Hello, Iwakuians! Hello Summer! And hello the newest event coming out to you now at the beginning of June. Brought to you and hosted by myself and @Reina. The purpose of this club is exactly as it reads (pun intended), where we gather members of our community to read books together and discuss what was read. Though there was an Iwaku book club before, I was inspired to make this come about again after reading the How Many Books Do You Read Per Year thread?, where it became alarmingly clear to many of us how less we started reading.

If all goes well, this will be an annual book reading club hosted every summer, during the time most of us are free, to read books.

Things You'll Need to Know:
  • The official goal is to read 3 books in total. Each of which is picked from different genres and voted on what will be read out of the options offered.
  • All of the books chosen are 400-600 pages.
  • The discussions will take place on the book club channel in the Iwaku Discord. It will include chat discussions and once-a-week VC.
  • After a book is completed, I will post the final thoughts/reviews that the group members may have had.
  • You don't need to read all of the books to participate, you only need to read one of them with us.
  • Readings for each week will be assigned by chapters.
  • Anyone can join at any time!
  • If you're interested, cast your votes and hop in with us!

Feel free to get any style of book you'd like! Can be hardcover, paperback, kindle, and even audiobook. Without, further ado, the three genres are chosen for this summer are:

Fiction - Mystery - Fantasy

Vote on which book for each category you would like to read this summer! Voting will last until June 7th at 11:59 EST and thereafter @Reina or I will post what books were chosen to be read. June 14th is when the first chapter readings will be posted. The time between the 8th and 14th will be time for participants to retrieve the book(s).

Mystery
1.png
Fantasy
2.png
Fiction
3.png

i love this idea so much ??? i have literally always wanted to participate in a book club or something similar at least, but i've never known where to start.

i am very excited for this <3

i love this idea so much ??? i have literally always wanted to participate in a book club or something similar at least, but i've never known where to start.

i am very excited for this <3
Happy to hear it! I know reading is a big part of many of our lives especially as roleplayers so I hope the interaction we get in this club will inspire and motivate us all to read more ^^

• Love
Reactions: kroyote
First and last books are definitely my top picks. Alas, I'm a sucker for romance, so I leaned towards Ariadne first.

• Love
Reactions: MaryGold
I WANTED TO CLICK THEM ALL. :[ Fine, I will choose.

The 7 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, Under the Whispering Door and Ariadne definitely caught my eye there. My aim is to read all six, but I will for sure try my darnest to get my hands on at least these three!

• Love
I'm shooting to read all 6! I can't choose!!

• Love
I actually just finished Ariadne. That being said, haven't read the other five yet. That being said, I would like to give a bit of a warning about Ariadne. It's first person and for a three hundred page book , is incredibly dialogue light.

I'mma have to choose the second book in each category!

edit: just saw the poll lol, that's way more efficient

I'm shooting to read all 6! I can't choose!!
Why is this me? I am so indecisive.

@MaryGold Love the idea though and can't wait for it to happen! Also, probably won't be at every session but will try my best to be there for some. :)

Just a reminder! Voting ends tomorrow night! Cast your votes for summer book club!!

• Thank You
LAST DAY TO VOTE!!!

And the results of the votes are in!

Here are the winners of our Iwaku Summer Book Club!

Mystery
(aka: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle outside of the US)
1 (2).png

Fantasy

2 (2).png

Fiction

3 (2).png

Our first chapter readings will be posted on June 14! So head to your local libraries, book stores, Amazon, Audible or whatever method you'd love and get your books!

Hello! Because we understand that some may not have the access to obtain any or all of these books, I am providing pdf copies of the books as well as EPUB files (which you can upload to an e-reader app such as Playbooks, Kindle, iBooks, etc). You can open these up on your phones or tablets and in the case of pdfs, you may also open them on your computer.

This way if anyone would like to read one or all of these books that they are unable to take out from the library or buy, you still have a way to participate. If you need one, message me in PMs or Discord (I'll be faster to answering on Discord). Thank you!

giphy.gif