IWAKU: Steampunk Millionaires

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah, thank you." Space nodded and smiled at the woman, but instead of walking away to find the captain, she stayed behind the woman in line, watching as the masked man spoke to the woman. She noted that he was rather scary looking. Perhaps this was a bad idea? No.... I'll just stay here and speak to him one she's done talking to him.

Space was terrified yet excited. She had no idea what was in store for her here on this ship.

She waited until it appeared to be her turn before looking up at the masked man, not sure what she was supposed to say to him. (Instead, she took the thermometer and put it in her mouth.)

"Ma'am, geet up! We're almost leavin' and the doc's gotta examine us!"

"Huh? Oh, a doctor? He's probably one of the queen's crazies, but I guess we should just go and get it out of the way." Aquarienne grumbled, thinking about how annoying it was that she had to travel in a carriage for two days to get here only to not be able to get a proper rest.

The morning she had arrived had been quite uneventful. There were people bustling around since it was an hour after dawn, but only a few had arrived before Aquarienne's carriage arrived. She had not been able to sleep the whole night before, both nervous and excited for the arrival. By the time she got out of the carriage, not only was her normally straight hair a frizzy mess, but she was in no mood to do much of anything. She had made a solid attempt to politely greet Asmodeus before she practically passed out in Agatha's arms. Agatha apologized for her master and handed him a pretty sum of money for their spot on the Firefox. The scene had caused a few stares but not nearly as many as the events that occurred later in the day while she was asleep. Boy, would she have much to write in AudioScribe when she was through.

So after combing her hair, Agatha helped Mme. D'aris up from her bed. They proceeded out of her room, walking through a mess hall and another set of hallways without so much as stopping to look at anyone. They eventually arrived at the shady crow-mask doctor's little station. He had thermometers at the ready for the people who had already arrived. It seems we are a bit late. No matter. I can wait for a bit while I get myself together mentally, anyway.

"I guess this here's the doc. I've never met one of these fancy city docs before. Do they all wear them fancy bird masks?"

"Not all of them. This one's just particularly . . . special," she whispered in response. "Just whatever you do, don't go and stick one of those lollipops in your mouth unless he gives you one."

"Got it, Ma'am."

Agatha and she would have appeared quite comical to the doctor. Here was this rich woman no older than twenty years dressed in a white, form-fitting dress that technically covered the inappropriate parts of her body but displayed her narrow frame without shame. Her simple haircut could have been the coiffure of some harlot or libertine without much restyling. (She would always have extensions put in for more elaborate hairstyles when out in the city with her husband.) It would not have been so comical if the doctor had not met her during one of the Queen's many events, after she had been dancing with her husband. Of course she had been wearing her extensions then, but the face and eyes were unmistakably hers, sapphires tingling with life while her husband seemed almost corpse-like in his movements.

Next to her was some young lady with provocative attire as well. Her pastel pink dress's a-line skirt ended just below her knees, exposing her legs: scandalous! Her golden blond locks were teased up behind her white headband. Guillaume would be absolutely terrified; simply marvelous, Agatha!

Matthias realized that everyone seemed to be going to the doctor for their medical check up. He decided to follow suite. He turned on his heals and took long strides to the line for the doc. His walking cane click in unison with his foot steps as he stopped to wait.

The doctor's treatment of Captain Asmo's wife caused Theodore to zone out, and he leaned against the side of the gangway, staring into the sliver of water that separated the boat and the dock, lined with rubbing tires. He snapped back to attention when the paper was waved in front of his face, catching it but not knowing what to do with it. The blank smile he offered to the Doctor was quickly replaced by a knowing, mischevious smirk, the slightest upwards quirk of his lips and a knowing twinkle in his eyes as the medicine man accused him of obfuscation.

"I would be more than happy to let you do a thorough check up --"

He was interrupted by the arrival of a few new recruits, who were not recognizable to him. Sensing a bit of a crowd, he moved onto the deck of the ship itself, standing near the railings right behind the doctor. With the expedition quickly becoming crowded, he lost his congenial nature as the crowd thickened.

"Perhaps we can get to me some other time, Doctor. But I'm ready anytime."

The floor erupted behind Theodore.

Captain Asmo poked his head out of the trapdoor, a cloud of steam, corgi barks and curse-words floating up from the lower decks. "Theodore, that thing in the clutch shaft - is it meant to be yellow?"

Theodore looked down and shook his head.

Asmo smiled. "Well that's a relief. Because it's red."

Theodore stared at him.

Asmo's smile dropped. "That's bad, isn't it?"

Theodore nodded.

Asmo shouted down the ladder. "NO! IT'S VERY BAD!"

There were more curse-words from below, followed by a second cloud of steam. Asmo then noticed the passengers queuing by the doctor's station and gave a smile. Clambering onto the deck, he closed the trapdoor and straightened his naval jacket before striding towards the newcomers. "Ah, welcome ladies and gents! Thanks for coming out. Glad you could make it." He offered his hand to Matthias, went to hug Space with his other arm, and leaned to kiss Vanya.... then thought better of all three of those gestures. Returning to stand at attention, he smiled again. "Just getting the old pre-launch checks and what-not done and dusted."

There was an awkward pause, then he noticed the Doctor. He indicated him with one hand, still smiling. "Ah yes, don't worry about the doctor there. He's a few crumbles short of an apple, but he's a good egg. He defrosted my wife last month!"

There was silence again. Thankfully it was broken by a chorus of mechanical chirps and clinking glass. Behind Asmo a line of clockwork spiders were approaching, one of them balanced with a tray of wine glasses and another carrying a champagne bottle. "Ah!" Grateful for the distraction, Captain Asmo stooped down and picked up the bottle, smiling at the creatures and then at Acquariana, who was at the back of the line and responsible for the inventions. "Marvellous machines, Acqua. Marvellous!"

Handing out the glasses to the assembled passengers, he waved the bottle at them. "Anyone for champers?"

Space didn't notice that she was almost hugged. Instead, she watched as the spiders crawled across the deck, the glasses and champagne on their backs. She smiled, loving how fantastical they were. Perhaps she would accept some champagne. The warmth of the day made her throat dry, and she hadn't had champagne in a very long time. "Captain, I'd love some of your champagne." She took a glass and took some of the beverage, sipping it some and letting it cool her throat. She stood near the captain still. "You're a very good captain. You ought to be paid. In fact, I'd like to pay you for this voyage." Space smiled at him.

Matthias smiled at the little clockwork machines. After his small amusement had settled had raised his rifle, "I think that a glass of champagne would be lovely before the long journey." If Matthias' clothes did not say that he was from the league then his accent and voice would have hit it home. It was deep, though he was only twenty-four years of age, and accented with education and experience, yet it was jovial and carefree, like any 24 year old' voice should be.

Before Matthias had received any champagne he took a quick glance at the doctor. Matthias was unsure of weather he would care to have this man touch him, let alone just look over him. Hopefully the champagne would give a quick bit of courage to have the necessary examination done and over with.

Through out the entire exchange, Rasna held back and observed the others as they congregated around the doctor like confused chickens, hung around the deck with their jaws agape or made jokes and small talk with the ship's captain as if they had been entitled that right.

Of the opinions she shared with Doctor Surgeon, Rasna could count on one hand. But, in the unlikely event the two should ever discuss the matter, they were both in agreement that this was one of the sorriest, incompetent bunch of skullduggers Rasna had ever experienced as crew. When all of the champagne had been dispensed amongst the newcomers, Rasna nodded towards Captain Asmo, raised her glass to signal that she wished to give a toast and then proceeded in her usual tone: dry as a popcorn fart.

"First mate Rasna Varghese. My job is to make sure that the Captain and his wife are safe so that they can do their jobs. And while they are doing their jobs, it is also my job to make sure you are doing yours." No one knew exactly how she did it, but Rasna had the uncanny ability to, at will and with no physical indication on her part, draw all eyes to the twin pistols holstered just under her sari at her hips, and communicate to all who gazed the freakish accuracy at which they could be drawn and fired.

"As you can see, I am a very busy woman and I like for the crew I work alongside to stay just as busy." Idle hands were the devil's mutinous workshop, after all.

"So I'll bore you with this spiel once and let you all resume your lives as the responsible crew members I know you will be." Rasna idly swirled her champagne, before managing to lock eyes with everyone present. Even the corgis felt their bowels suddenly freeze.

"Anyone who steps so much as one toe out of line, I will personally lash then leave them on the nearest sandbar or iceburg we encounter. Cheers."

Rasna raised her glass to her lips and when no one followed suit, she narrowed her eyes.

"I said cheers."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cheers, darlings." The server spiders clicked and chirped with delight as Tegan took the glass of water from their metal appendages. Gingerly, she placed it upon the oak table and returned to studying the massive tome opened to her. Her brow knit in concentration as she tried to decipher the ancient symbols and charts within. A language she once knew.

From the bed she shared with the captain, one of the corgis yawned as it watched her with small black eyes.

Since she woke from the ice, clutching the Moonwings Dramatica, the dead language had closed itself to her. The memory of its interpretation buried somewhere within her brain, still waiting to thaw. But she still remembered, still knew of the powers. That magic still drenched every moment, every particle, waiting to be seized.

Tegan's eyes fell upon the water in the glass, focused until she could see it about to happen.

She could feel it rising in her like the crest of a wave, atoms charging and sparking to life, stars exploding. The knack was with her always. It was with her in the ice and it was with her now. She only need speak the words...

Today was not the day to oversleep. Cerulean LightHeart had awakened, with such a jolt. It took a couple seconds to realize that the sudden pain was from a pipe. It left an instant pink mark on his forehead. Blurred vision didn't stop him from getting the hell up though. The was an adventure and it had his name all over it. Even if it killed him, and it might, he would see that lost city. After checking his breather mask, the young man trotted down the port.

Keeping track of his breathing, Ceru could see the ship in the distance. Hopefully, there was still time. He could feel the bags under his eyes weighing him down from entering the ship. Watching the cargo fall gave a reason to pause. His mind stopped but his feet didn't and he ran into a stranger and falling onto his own momentum. Not fun as the mask dug into his face a bit. A little groan and the sound on shouts had put him in a a bit of an odd position. Getting up, he stood just next a few feet away from the entrance.

"Is this the expedition ship to find Moonwings?" he shouted

...You could have heard a corgi doing algebra...

The silence following Rasna's speech was uncomfortable and menacing - the kind of silence when you walk into a room to find your parents murdered by a clown. The newcomers were ensnared between the four cardinal points of their hosts: Asmo's courtesy, Rasna's contempt, Theodore's disregard for conversation and Doctor Surgeon's disregard for privacy. The four horseman of an uncomfortable voyage, if ever there were.

Captain Asmo stood with his glass held out, his mouth open, his eyes squinting into the distance, as if trying to find some addendum to the speech... some little comment or flourish to spare from alienation the lifeblood of deckhands and financial backers he required today.

Thankfully, a moronic question floated up from the dockside.

"Is this the expedition ship to find Moonwings?"

Still holding his champagne flute, Asmo moved to the railing and peered over at Cerulean. "NO! WE'RE A PUBLIC BROTHEL!" There was a momentary pause, like a clown selecting a kitchen knife. Then he yelled louder: "GET ON THE SHIP!"

"Fabulous speech! Fabulous!" Although Captain Asmo had not really given any sort of formal rant, Theodore picked up a glass of alcohol, perhaps a little too enthusiastically, for as he raised it into the air a bit splashed over the top. The few droplets that landed in his hair did not deter nor even make him blink, as he swigged it back with all the finesse of one who commonly sealed deals over drink in the boardroom.

His eyes screwed shut as the wave of alcohol burnt his throat, but he opened them shortly after and twirled the glass expertly between his fingers. "Very fine liquer!"

"Although I may not speak for the Captain, we should be aware of the significance of the voyage we are embarking on!" His eyes narrowed .. significantly. "After all, ladies and gentlemen, surely you have all given thought to the history of Iwaku?" He gestured towards the port - and the city beyond, where some places crawled with his walkers. Yet they were only a recent addition, expanding upwards and outwards upon the considerable settlement that existed prior to his arrival and incorporation.

"There is no reason to doubt that we stand on the shoulders of giants. However, their flesh has withered away, eroded by apathy, time, and wanderlust. Beyond these shores surely exist heroes who have accomplished exploits greater than what any of you could ever imagine. There is no reason to doubt that our destination is inferior to ours, that we should treat this as a quaint trip to see the old, the arcane, the savages dancing around their ancient monoliths bathed in the blood of sacrifice."

"What whimsical flights of fancy will we see? What ancient wonders will tickle your mind, plunge you into the depths of surrealism? What texts shall we come across that contain writings so demented that your mind may be twisted, rent asunder by black logic, incomprehensible, profane?"

Theodore waved the glass in the air, a large grin on his face to conclude. He was a bit too enthusiastic about it, for it slipped out of his hands and start to fall to the floor. Just before it shattered on the deck, he kicked it upwards with his feet and back into his hand.

And Mayhem would have first claim to all technological wonders! That was what the steam-suit in the ship's hold was for.

Privately, he was expecting Moonwings to be much like Iwaku.

[DASH=#EDC393]

"GET ON THE SHIP!"

It was all she needed to hear. Sakura pulled herself out of the crowd of spectators. As she boarded the plank leading up the ship's deck, she laughed as a rather drunk man began a monologue about adventure. She would've paused to listen, but she was already in a rush. Hearing the commotion from a few market streets away, she was afraid the crowds of people would cause her to miss the ship. Now that she was finally within reach of the deck, she stopped to catch her breath, listening to the man as he spoke. He was charismatic and cheerful; she liked the way that he spoke, spinning fantastical words like the threads of a old fable. It gave her a sense of excitement. Captain Asmo sure attracts the most interesting of people.

Delighted with the idea that was in such close proximity to the captain, she leaned sideways to see how many more people were ahead of her. From what she could hear, Mr. Birdy was a doctor. He was asking for medical history before boarding the ship. He chided one woman's choice of clothing, asked another about sickness. Sakura smoothed the front of her dress, confident that she would pass on both accounts. She was wearing a layered dress, the material was quite durable and had served her well in her travels. Though it was only knee-length, she was sporting thick black tights to cover her legs. This was her second trip on water. She absolutely did not want to catch a disease.

When it seemed as though the doctor was free, Sakura stepped up, staring at his mask with curiosity. Up close, he did rather look like a bird with the body of a man. To him, she must have looked no more than thirteen, though she was much older. She'd seen him afar once before, at once of the kingdom's parties. She was younger then, and thought he was some court jester. The Chancellor told her he was a doctor, well famous. Hearing the rumors during her travels, she thought he was intriguing. Which was he? A genius or a crazy man? After a moment of thought, she reached to pull her backpack off her shoulders and take out a small square piece of cardboard. On it, was her name, her birthdate, and her medical history. She picked up the idea from some of the nurses back at the Chancellor's palace. They kept short-hand information on patients on small, hand-held pieces of paper for quick notice. It was convienient and she liked it. She handed it to the doctor, grinning. It was redone recently, marking the date of her latest period and showing that she only suffered from a slight fever about a year and a half ago after a trip on horseback in the rain. She was rather proud of the card, too. The edges were decorated with colored powder to make little flower designs.

"Hello Doctor Birdy. Do you have any normal lollies?"

She looked down at the stash of candies, hoping one of them was simply sugar.

[/DASH]

Whether it was intended to be or not, but that response had him in stitches. Either way, the captain was right. It was time to get on that ship. Sliding in behind the thirteen year old looking girl, Ceru took hold of his precious satchel. It contained his life after all. Everything from his journal to his....medicine. Medicine. He only had a certain amount of doses of the officially approved liquid immunity booster in the little, round bottles. The even smaller, black mini-tubes were the "other stuff". It would have to be taken, eventually. Perhaps, a talk with the captain would solve the possible problem. Genetic mutation happened all the time.

Leaning a bit left, the doctor's mask caused a bit of a mental lag.
What the blue hell is wrong with his face? Quickly, the young man averted his gaze. Concentration was set on the sound around until it was his turn to be up.

Due to the morning crowd my run to the ship had taken longer than I had expected. Aside from having to push through the mass of early shoppers, or people who had come to watch whatever Captain Asmo was up to I also had to deal with the random street merchant who claimed to be selling a parrot that was able to commune with the dead, which I believe was definitely just some random, normal parrot that had been taught to say all sorts of ominous phrases and words. Glaring at the cowled old lady that beckoned at me from the inside of her tent, adorned by all sorts of pagan trinkets and symbols I shook my head and finally broke free from the crowd to stop a few feet away from the gangplank of the Captain's ship.

I stopped for a moment, looking at the trio that stood at the entrance to the ship and effectively blocking its way - enigmatic looking man in black wearing a plague mask, a girl with two pigtails and another man with a permanent-looking gas mask. It was all expected, of course. This was a trip to the fabled city of the Moonwings and without a purpose other than curiosity, even the most curious of people would rather stay at home and wait until others tried first. Those who would come forth to join the Captain on this journey would be the bravest, most curious of adventurers and all sorts of oddities and enigmatic figures who wish to pursue their own private goals.

I was no exception.

When I got closer I noticed that the strange man in a plague mask was providing some sort of medical check-up, suggesting that he was in one form or another a doctor - that would explain the mask. I noticed the thermometers and I relaxed considerably - whatever dark powers that still bound me to this existence projected a miserable illusion of life inside me, making my body feel warm to touch. That would do for the thermometers ... But if the Doctor wanted to check my heartbeat it would be a problem. I would have to find one way or another to refuse. Perhaps it may be the innate goodness that the beating heart symbolizes, but the forces that I dealt with could not replicate that.

I patiently clasped my hands on the top of my cane, waiting behind the man with the gas-mask.

Iwaku City - a place for the desperate, the privileged and the cutthroat. A place where people insult you unprovoked, invite you to collaborate, dare you to speculate. A place for fools who think they've seen things, for bitches and snitches who long to be adored. A place where you have to know the right people, get the inside joke, play the system and pull the puppet strings. A place where you can rise and fall on the knife-edge of a single comment. A melting pot. A rat race. A scrabbling mountain of personalities and prejudice.

"Right! Time to leave Iwaku!" Captain Asmo declared, looking up from his pocket watch. Placing his champagne glass on the tray held by the clockwork spider, he turned to Doctor Surgeon. "They'll be plenty of time for check-ups later. If anyone's diseased we'll have Rasna throw them overboard."

On cue, the paddle engines started up, a slow churning building to a steady thrum as the blades spun. Mayhem Industries had supplied the original magitech, which had been customised with pirate turbines and some personal tweaks from Captain Asmo. Wind and dirt began to dance around the shuddering outline of the Firefox as the graviton fields aligned.

Some of the corgies went a bit floofy in the static. This was only natural.

"Acqua, if you could keep an eye on the fourteenth pressure gauge, my dear. And Theodore, just throw that lever there, if you will. Copper! Not that rope! The other rope!"

Asmo's voice was soon drowned by the chopping whirr of the paddle engines. But the same could not be said for Rasna's coarser shouts. She was wielding a barge-pole, which she had used to close some of the hatches, and was now prodding Matthias, Vanya, Cerulean, Sakura, Space and XC, "Alright, if you know your ass from your elbow, man the Cookie Valves. Otherwise, get below deck and shut the hell up!"

As the passengers dispersed, Asmo returned to the railing of the foredeck and gave a majestic wave to the crowd (most of whom were scattering as the dust got whipped up). "Farewell, dearest Iwaku! I bid you all farewell! The fantastic voyage of the HMS Firefox has begun. For glory and adventure we are set - to the lost city of Moonwings. Return we shall, before the year is out, and with us bring such treasures as the civilised world might quake to look up--"

One of the pipes fractured behind him, and a jet of steam sent him tumbling down the gangplank. "Aagh! Ooph! Uugh! Ow! Urrgh! Ooph! Aagh!"

He landed at the edge of the ramp... which then lifted to retract itself. Asmo rolled back towards the deck. "Doh! Naagh! Ow! Urrgh! Ooph! Aagh! Ooph! Uugh!"

Rasna helped him up, not missing a beat. "Cookie ballast cleared, Sir."

Asmo adjusted his naval jacket, trembling slightly, his hair askew. "E-Excellent. Full steam ahead."

"FULL STEAM AHEAD!"

With the graviton field stabilised, the airship detached from the dock, turning away from the frenzy of waving handkerchiefs, flags, fists and bared buttocks on the dockside. Swinging under the prongs of the air-bay, it descended between two frigates of Queen Diana's navy then skirted the cliff line for a half mile, passing the silhouettes of Iwaku Castle, Exhibition Mall, the supension bridge, West Gatehouse and the royal academy.

Finally, with a sharp turn, the Firefox set out towards the glittering blue of the Google Sea.

"We'll make straight for Putlocker Port," Asmo said as he checked one of the pressure gauges on the foredeck. Behind him, Rasna raised an eyebrow.

"Pirates? You're trying to break the record on getting your crew killed?"

"Nonsense. Pirates only attack civilian vessels if they're steering away from the island. And besides, we need to upgrade our spam filters if we're to stand any chance of breaching the border storms."

"I'll load the cannons." Rasna departed, still wielding her barge pole. Asmo hung around a little longer, checking that his bridge crew were doing their jobs properly, before straightening his jacket again.

"Right, I'll be in my cabin."

A minute later he was below decks, tripping on shoes, corgies and steam spiders as he squeezed through the cabin door. His (as far as the public were concerned) wife was sitting at the oak table with the same old book she had been defrosted with.

"What's this I hear about you playing with corpses?"

He removed his jacket and, finding no spare hooks to hang it on, settled with throwing it on top of the boiler. In his crimson waistcoat, he checked his pocket watch again then glanced once more at Tegan. "And for God's sake, dear, put that old grimoire away. It's maps you need to be studying now. MAPS. I have for your convenience a cartographical cavalcade compiled to countervail caprice."

He opened a cupboard and started taking out rolls of maps, some ancient, some freshly inked. Some were even bloodstained, or written in Eastern languages. A particularly tattered one seemed to have been drawn entirely with coffee grounds. He bundled them onto the table with the kind of confidence of a man who is certain that the woman is ready to do what he wants.

Space blinked as she was prodded with the long pole. She had never been on a ship like this before, and it was far different from what she thought it was going to be. Since she had absolutely no idea what a cookie valve was, she headed below deck. As she walked down, she saw other people too, all of which were making themselves at home the best they could. She looked about before sitting on one of the chairs in the room next to the one she had entered into. It was quite a nice ship. She sipped on the champagne still, having forgot to set it back down on the platters before going below deck.

Aquarienne listened in silence, Agatha following suit. However, the churning sounds did bring alarm to the young Agatha's face, for she had not prepared herself for the experience of leaving the dock. It required most of her self control to not utter a noise while the process was underway.

"Acqua, if you could keep an eye on the fourteenth pressure gauge, my dear."

D'aris nodded before hustling over to the pressure gauge. She glanced at the gauge, boredom in her eyes. Nothing too off, it seems. Oh, what's this?

Behind Asmo a pipe burst with steam. D'aris grimaced, but then regained her glazed over expression when she realized there wasn't anyone panicked or shouting. While Asmo rolled back up, Agatha quivered, the views from the window making her eyes widen. She stood staring like a deer in headlights until the Firefox began to head out to sea.

"We should probably go meet some people, don't you think?" D'aris nudged Agatha to snap her out of her trance.

"I don't know; some of them folks seem mighty shady, ma'am." Agatha's face snapped around to meet D'aris's.

"Hmm, I do see what you mean based off of some of the people lined up earlier, but there are probably more we haven't met, yet. Besides, it'd be boring to just sleep in my room more, so let's go." D'aris dragged Agatha into an area below deck.

The decoration was quite elegant, but D'aris took little time to admire it, proceeding to survey the people gathered. Hmm, well, we are quite an eclectic bunch, aren't we?

When Rasna met the Doctor's eyes, only placid dark holes greeted her. Whereas the others raised their hands in toast, the doctor abstained from the champagne, taking the opportunity to sweep his ponderous head around the occupants, minutely checking their faces for hints of strain or illness. Asmodeus, always the cavalier imbecile, felt his preliminary medical reports were too slow to take into account a rather loose idea of departure time. Irritably clicking his fingers against his side, Surgeon tried to put the implications of playing 'find that plague' with the possible recruits out of his mind. If there was contagion aboard, it had already begun its insidious work. By the time the ship had calmed down enough to allow him a proper medical evaluation, everyone could be infected. Honestly the colossal lack of concern Asmodeus possessed for even the most basic protocols was grossly unsettling. Had HE placed himself under the Doctor's care, or surrendered his personal medical documents? No. And when asked, Rasna (irritable she-thing) only answered that the captain had all the protection he needed in her.

Of the people on board, she and Corgi #3 topped his list of most pleasurable sacrifices in the name of science. She because she was under the outdated assumption that a quick hand and a pistol could save her master from unseen bacteria and Corgi #3 because…well, first it was unoriginal to be Corgi #3 and second, his left ear flopped in the most dissatisfying way imaginable…a mocking half salute to all his Corgi brethren. Honestly, it was any wonder that his companions hadn't torn him apart on the spot.

Dr. Surgeon would have.

Or might…given the chance.

But he had more pertinent things to plan for than the double homicide of two dogs, quarantine had been breached, proper medical procedures dashed, and now he scrambled.

He recognized two among the tired passengers, consumed as they were by enough fabric to fashion another sail. The Lady Sakura, and the Lady D'Aris. Of course, noble women like them only suffered from boredom…and sometimes exotic sexually transmitted diseases. Somehow he doubted they'd react favorably if he insisted on the necessary examination, so after noting their name and a personal reminder to watch their physical dalliances, he put a star beside their name and moved on down the list. By now everyone had moved, grabbing strange pipes, knobs, and intentionally phallic levers to pull the HMS Firefox away from port. The rocking and rolling pitched the Doctor and his supplies across the deck, scattering his tools and discarding his lollies in a cascade of color across the slanted wood. Frenzied, Surgeon grabbed as much of his things as he could before they pitched from the railing and into the churning waters, making a special mental note to discard one of Asmodeus's belongings for each of the things he'd lost in this hasty departure.
Four lollies. Four. FOUR! Who knew what they could have been essential for!

Muttering to himself, Doctor Surgeon descended from the deck and away from the clamoring possible plague rats. His own room was barely set, a cramped workspace. Sighing, he set the items down and took to the bowels of the boat again, passing by the various crew members and, without their permission, placing a gloved hand on their forehead for a few moments. A brief pinprick, and he removed it, continuing on his way. He was stretching the suite's capacity, honestly. These sorts of advanced diagnostic functions would cost him dearly. Luckily, the crew seemed engaged in making the rusty piece of garbage float, and that in itself was enough distraction for him.

Much as he'd prefer to check on Tegan, maybe insist on her distance from the eccentric and probably whore-ridden Asmodeus, he needed to use this opportunity to refuel the vital functions of his outfit.

Descending into the hold, he lay a hand across one of the chained rectangular boxes, almost lovingly, before producing a key and snapping off the lock.
No one was here.

Opening the lid, Doctor Surgeon took a moment to admire his handiwork, scentless creature laid out, hands crossed, in a bed of straw. The body, pale, preserved, blinked slowly, short breaths like heartbeats along his pasty skin. The drugs pumped in his system, along with the high yield proteins, would keep him and his…companions, alive for quite some time during the journey…at least until he needed them.

Horror dawned in the man's eyes, he opened his mouth to speak, but only a choked moan cut the air of the cargo hold.

Doctor Surgeon held up a finger to his beak, shaking the large head, chiding him.

"Relax," he said, leaning down over his victim, "I'm a doctor."

Reactions: 1 person
Kit stayed below, watching other people make themselves at home. She wasn't paying too much mind to anyone else and doing her best not to listen to what other people were saying. She began to feel the familiar sensation of her head throbbing. She knew at some point she'd have to pay a visit to the doctor, but she wanted to avoid doing so. On one hand, she could ask if he had a cure, even a temporary one, for her headaches. However, if he wanted to do a physical examination, he'd see her ears and that could ruin everything. Maybe if I visit him when nobody else is there. Maybe he wouldn't make a big deal of them... She closed her eyes and massaged her temples, trying to ease some of the pain.

Maybe if I find someone to talk to, it'll serve as a distraction from the pain...
She looked around to see who was sitting or standing alone. She thought that she saw some blond haired lady she could speak to but seeing the champagne glass in her hand reminded Kit that she was of the underworld class. It would be unbecoming to speaking to someone who seemed a higher standing. She merely looked around, tried to seem "at home" like other passengers and hoped that someone would think she was of higher standing then she truly was and speak to her.

Between the shuffling, prodding, and a falling captain Cerulean was a feeling like going erratic was the only way to go. That however would happen soon enough. No need to rush and have the ship explode from pure, totally adulterated insanity. Of course, he may get thrown over before anything else. So it might not matter anyways. Eventually, the topic of his mask may come up, and Cerulean hopes to the cosmos that the capt sees it as more of a plus when his knockoff medicine is all that's left. Fonzi help those who wrong that internal, dormant monster.

"Pissy ass mutation." he muttered to himself.

Slipping to the lower deck, he tried to find the bunks. It was time to get settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.