Iwaku: Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alright then" Maliik said, taking the controls of the rhino personnel carrier. "Alright everyone, in case you're newly arrived or been asleep here's the abridged version. pulled a jail break to extract a high value target, on arrival to base our location was compromised, so we called in backup and now we're leaving. Given the circumstances we find it's a perfect opportunity to investigate a mysterious set of coordinates we've found, and Yes, I'm aware it's likely a trap, we're going anyway."

Within moments they were off, the Rhino's engine growling as it sped through the streets. The address wasn't too far, and he knew how to bypass the checkpoints on the road, but he still had to watch for roving patrols, that meant ducking into an alley and powering down more than once.

Though their trip was a more round-about way than Malik would have liked. He finally made it to the specified Location, pulled the rhino into a back lot and powered down.

"Ok Grampa, what am I looking at?" he said, to no one in particular.

Trap? I raised my eyebrows when I heard that word. I didn't really like the sound of that, but it wasn't as if I had much of a choice. I was in their vehicle and if they wanted to walk right into a trap, they were welcome to - and of course, unless I decided that I wanted to explore an entirely alien world by myself with no supplies or currency, I could always get off the truck. Ha-fucking-ha.

I really had a bad feeling about this world, though. It was just like how they had described it to be. Kind of fucked up, really. We had to stop multiple times on our journey to our location in order to avoid those patrols.

I got off the Rhino with the other Space Marine, the larger one. Malik, I think? Yeah, Malik. The other one's called Raum or something like that.

"I have no idea." I paused, considering what I had just responded to. "But I'm not Grandpa."

[dash=teal]Everything was sort of happening in a blur to me as I was dragged along through the streets and inside the building where Angel Wings was taking place. This was my first time in the place and it was almost overwhelming. TK continued to drag me along, spewing off this and that in a manic sense as she typed in codes and numbers. There was another person in this weird computer room with us who was speaking to me. I was still mostly in a daze. This was real. All real. I looked around, almost afraid to touch anything. I had a fryingpan in one hand or was it a knife? I couldn't tell at this point. The other person began to say something about thsi being nuts and such and not knowing how to turn off the machine. I only shrugged some and let it slide. No offense taken. they were right, I had no idea what ANY of this stuff did!

I watched as my friend instinctively went through and quite literally strapped herself into this contraption. My job was to simply press a start button. simple enough, and those papers with lists and lists of names and figures. What WAS this all about? I frowned some but nodded, "Are you sure?" I asked but her look was enough to make me sure. I nodded my head slowly and pressed the start button, unaware I was holding my breath and waiting to see what was happening.
[/dash]

Chaos remained silent for the most part as everyone piled into their get away vehicle. The only time he made it apparent that he was even listening was when he waved and gave an exaggerated smile when there was mention of a "High value target". He couldn't help but feel a sense of distrust but until he would be able to find someone he knew he was in the dark on everything. To say he disliked the idea of walking into a trap was a complete understatement considering his powers were still mostly dormant if not outright changed from his long duration out of the normal world, but there was little to be done.

His silence persisted upon arriving at their destination.

Vay followed the others into the transport. "If it is a trap then we will have something they cannot expect." He said with a smile taking old of a protrusion in the interior and bracing himself against the side of the rhino. Say what you would about the famous durability of the machines the ride they provided was far from smooth. Though during the trip be manged to make his way past the other occupants to the front of the vehicle so that, through the narrow slits in the armor he could mark their progress.

"No, the distinction of elder belongs to someone else." he agreed with the man who spoke without adding to the knowledge garnered, though Vay had to admit there was a timber to his voice that was lacking in a lot of those who had not been blessed with the gifts of the true primarchs. Those who had seen the errors prevalent in their progenitor.

"I'm afraid I see nothing." He said his eyes clouded over as he peered forwards with senses other than those his body possessed. "This is troubling, there should be something to see."

Well, this could only end badly, but what the hell?

I follow TK to and inside the Angel Wing building. The room we end up in looks prepared for us already, can't say I think that's a good sign.

My head suddenly hurts and an intense pulsating feeling fills my mind. I see the lab again, the figure in the lab coat has stopped laughing. Turning he looks straight at me.

"What a fool you are." he says, smirking, "You can't even see what's standing right in front of you."

He walks towards me, grabbing my head in his hands, I try to do anything to stop him, but I can't move because of the pulsating rhythm in my head.

"I'm what you need right now, pitiful thing, and when the time comes, give up your body to me, and I'll solve it for you."

The pulsing and the pain stop, and I am back in the Angel Wing project, and I've sunk to my knees. As I look up I see Kate push the button for the device TK is strapped into. Feeling too weak to get up, I look at the ground in front of me, there's a sheet of paper, one of the ones I was asked to look at. I pick up the paper and read it over. Is this what he was supposed to solve for me? I'm not sure.

"traps within traps, this should please the lord of sorcery, just as the bloodshed will please the bloodfather and the rotting corpses in our wale
Will please grandfather Nurgle, the 'elder' Malik mentioned" Raum's voice, normally sounding as though on the cusp of violence unhelmeted ha taken on a more violent tone now he wore his helm.

He laughed, the box giving his deep voice a more bestial edge
"nothing can stand before Astartes strength" he said, checking the reaper as the rhino ground to a halt for the last time, the red interior light dimmed until the interior was pitch black, and the rear ramp descended slowly and surprisingly, near silently.
"war calls" Raum said as he rose as stepped out of the vehicle, his reaper autocannon scanning for targets.

It was met annoying, seeing so many people out and about after curfew, especially so when the longer they talked and grabbed her attention, the more likely they would all get in trouble for being out so late. Honestly, she should have kept walking and ignored the man when he first called to her. She had the mind to keep walking now, ignoring this strange woman's request for help, had Angel Wing not been brought forth as their topic of investigation. These two women, knives clutched in their free hands, were asking their help to break into Angel Wing. This was bad. Beyond bad. And the worst of it all was that it gave her the opportunity to fully realize her misgivings about the project. Nibbling anxiously on the inside of her lip, her thoughts fell over each other as she tried to talk herself out or into the scheme. The two women didn't wait for her answer, taking off with a promise to meet there. Where everything would change. At least for Lulu, if she went.

Of course she was going. How could she not? When the answers to all the questions that had been toiling in her mind just dangled in front of her. She trailed slightly behind the small group, eyes darting about for signs of employees or security, but it was oddly... empty. A facility such as this should have been guarded by at least a few night watchmen, at the very least, but there seemed to be absolutely no one here. That felt wrong. Very wrong, and did nothing to quell the nerves that twisted and knotted in cold ropes inside her. Well, perhaps it wasn't completely empty, seeing as there was someone in the monitor room they had just entered, but they obviously weren't an employee here, given that they hadn't called security after seeing them. Lulu gave a small squeak as the monitors suddenly went red, surprised and confused by the message.

"Look for the answers."

Sheets of names and numbers appeared shortly after, printed out for their convenience. Taking the cue, she began to read the names, wondering faintly what exactly would make one stand out against the rest. These were all names of people she didn't know. None that she could claim to know well, anyway. Brief meetings, maybe a small chat here of there. Nothing extensive, and none that stood out particularly well in her mind. Sighing softly, she turned to ask for more details. Who was she expecting to see? What would make them important? The questions didn't leave her lips thought, attention drawn to the man, down on his knees. He looked as though he were in pain, and very far away.
"Are you gonna be alright there?" She asked, a distant voice in her head wondering if maybe he'd snap.

Warmth. It was unnatural for her to feel this energy seeping through her arm. When she came to, there was an IV drip lined alongside her bed. It was transferring liquids into her arm. Sakura blinked to adjust to the light of the room. Her head was spinning, the colors were merging together, making it difficult to see. A woman stood at her bedside. A strange looking woman of white feathers. Perhaps she was dreaming that she was awake. Although it was nice, momentarily, the taste of bitterness had left her mouth and the cold pain was gone. She felt... remotely alive? If that even made any kind of sense.

It was not a woman, Sakura realized, but a robot. And her words were strange.The drugs from my system? I was drugged? None of it was making any sense. Where was she? Why wasn't she in the capital? Who was Angel Wing? What was going on. Sakura felt the prick as her blood was drawn and nearly sat up in shock. The pain. All this time, the dull numbing pain that had circulated through her, what was it? Why was it that she could now actually feel the pain of a needle prick and not the constant illness she had been suffering from?

Wasn't I sick? Isn't that why I was feverish and unable to leave the capital building?
Slowly, her memories were returning to her, a confused mess of ideas and places and people. Sakura was beyond confused, but for once, she did not feel exhausted.

The woman left her with food. She sat up , leaning back against the pillows to breathe in the smell of the food. She felt as if her senses were returning to her. The numbness was gone, replaced with raw human feelings. She felt alive again. It was a strange thing to say.

"What has been happening to me?"
What was really going on?

Sakura reached for the tea. In her head, all her questions were answered with a dial tone. How fitting.

The sequence started, the clock was ticking down without anyone noticing, on many different fronts, something had begun, and it was only a matter of time before something gave.

Each part had different variables, and each had different weaknesses and strengths, not all the players were here in this game just yet, but it had gotten to the point that something finally entered into this cycle that wasn't supposed to.

Disruptions and tears and bleeds, the cycle's been through more than a few- but this was not a bleed, this was not a tear, and this was not a disruption anymore... more like a doorway- two, close enough to fight through the membrane separating them, if someone just reached out to touch.

As thin and permeable as the surface of a body of water- on our side.

It started, I laid back, able to control what direction my thoughts were going in this time- before it was all guided.

I had only wanted to go far enough back to spark more memories, and far enough forward to figure out what that person was that I see in the mirror now and days.

It was easy enough, at first. I finally managed to find all the answers in my past, no problem- almost seemed weird that it had been so hard all this time... every cycle before this was now commented to memory, as best as I could guess. I started picking up on that pattern. I didn't want to be a hero... I didn't want to be a bad guy, either... I was neutral, and my loyalties were what decided my actions. I've been emotionally controlled, and not rational- logic wasn't a driving feature in me, I guess.

I went by instinct... by feeling...

So why didn't this make me feel better on what I was about to do? Why was I... honestly afraid of what I might find?

I was going through- and the bits and pieces I went by to try and find answers... were disjointed- but they laid out like a road. I finally got a feeling I was where I needed to be.

I just wanted to find answers- and I got them... they swallowed me whole. It was as if I was pulled and shoved out. I felt a dull sense of pain, like my body was far away... I weakly started to try to tell someone to turn the process off- turn it off- but I felt like my voice was so tiny.

A message on the screen of the ship that our little rebellious band of men started to flash with a message.

"Get out of that ship and onto the ground- there's a bit of a doorway, four paces forward, and three to the left- if you're using large steps. This is worth it."

As if to illustrate the point, a patch of grass seemed to pop up on a hinge, and a a woman with bright blue and green hair seemed to peer out at the ship before disappearing under the cover of that grass-covered door again. She seemed to be waiting on them.

Soon enough, when they eventually followed directions, she was already almost out of sight, but would circle back to see if they were following. It seemed to be a large tunnel, carved into by time and the elements. Graffiti was etched onto every space of the walls. Eventually, the graffiti gave way to what appeared to be stains and splatters of what you hoped were paint, but smelled of blood and excrement. They kept walking, until, finally they came upon what seemed to be a makeshift-underground social system. People lived in what appeared to be extreme conditions of poverty and sickness.

The woman kept going until they were past that part of the tunnel- in front of them, it forked into four paths and the woman paused, taking out a small device, and clicked around on it before choosing the last one on the left. She led them through it and eventually came to a large lift. She beckoned them silently to come to it, and soon they were in a cold storage room, it appeared.

Perhaps at this point, it would be confusing why they had walked so far. She started grabbing at crates and pulling them from the wall, until it uncovered a door.

It opened and she led them to a long ladder which she led the crew through, and eventually punched the top of the tunnel, and light poured onto them, revealing that they were entering what looked to be a house.

"The master of the house will be with you shortly." She spoke for the first time, closed the entrance to the tunnel and left.

The woman, or robot, Gaia came back soon enough, carrying what seemed to be a phone, yet, when she was in front of Sakura, the screen seemed to spread and grow, and turned itself on, revealing the silhouette of what appeared to be a tall, lanky man. Features were unable to be seen, and yet, it was easy to see that he was looking straight at her.

"I apologize if we surprised or scared you, Sakura. This was, however, necessary. We were the ones who found you... we thought they would help you, but instead, they have merely used you as an empty figurehead. Surely, at this point, they are looking everywhere for you- and we can't have that. I will not have you taken from this household- instead, when you are lucid enough, you will have to make a choice about where you want to go... The people of Iwaku see you as their leader, but, do you want to help save them, or do you want us to protect and save you from the trouble that will be following you? Gaia will be with you, by your side for right now, until you figure out what to do... You're resilient and strong- I'm sure this will help your recovery. We need your help, Sakura- you have information we need."

The man was sitting in what appeared to be an elaborate chair, not much else was able to be discerned from the video. One hand was able to be seen, straightening the collar of his shirt.

With that, the video cut off and the screen shrunk back down, Gaia pocketed the device. "Is there anything I can do for you?" She asked quietly as she stood there.

The machine was malfunctioning.

Sparks flew and error messages were popping up all over the screen. One of the machines that were monitoring vitals was starting to show signs that I might be malfunctioning in a way, too. I think my heart skipped a few beats here and there, and my temperature was all over the place- I was too absorbed with what was going on in my head to focus.

I managed to take the headgear off, and in the reflection of the metal on it- I saw my eyes.

Blue.

I had the answers, but I knew what was going on- There was a price to be paid for my curiosity. I looked down at myself- my skin was growing paler- a wave of the ew color was runing ll over my body, down my legs- I grabbed at my hair, it was changing too.

And after a few seconds, I ceased to be me.... I wasn't... I felt different.

I disappeared while someone else took the reigns... and it was only in the last second that I realized that I had made a deal with the devil, and I had gotten the short end of the stick. This other... me was now in my world, while I was seemingly being transferred to hers.

I saw her memories as I passed, and I knew that what I had let into the world could either make things worse, or barely change a thing. The only thing was, where I had been a passive character- comic relief or emotionally driven- she lacked something I depended on...

I tore through that thin membrane separating our worlds and found myself crumpled on a metal table- in a somewhat similar set up as the one in my world. Someone removed the headgear and I saw that in this world, I looked myself. White hair, red eyes, semi-tanned skin, and I felt.... like myself.

I heard someone mumble something, but I was on my way into fainting.

Ten years.

Ten fucking years led to this. Ten years of trying to get someone curious enough to pass into our world, with the end result being myself. I hadn't led the team that was behind this- just the most driven to do this. If you were close enough in time to another cycle, and you already knew what was going to happen- and didn't like the outcome, wouldn't you want to change it?

My world was a mess of rubble, plot holes, and anger. Our city was nothing but crumbling buildings and dank skies.

The only way to survive this world was to go under the knife- entrust yourself to the people, who you'd hope would just make you more adaptable to this world. Adaptable to the stagnant air and the lifeless people here. In some cases, they'd remove parts of yourself, parts of your behavior, parts of your abilities, and search into your history and bring something else back to fill the void.

Yes, I had been TK, but as soon as I woke from that procedure... I wasn't. I was a combination of different versions of myself- I didn't feel as emotionally driven in most cases- all except one.

They warned me that they couldn't alter anything to do with my preference for anger. Searching through all those layers of... myself, they had found it to be needed to my core. It was something I needed to work on, to control and use to my advantage.

But, in all that digging, they had let me see my own memories, my own pasts.

Bad. Mistake.

I knew EXACTLY where I had fucked up last cycle, and I needed to stop that from happening. That anger, rose its head and I began a movement to change things- those same doctors that "fixed" me, were my targets. In time, with persuasion, I finally got them to work on a way to get people to contact themselves in a way- irk our other selves just enough so they'd go looking for answers. Only one person has succeeded before me- and his cycle's counterpart was now the most tightly locked up person in this place.

I wasn't going to let myself go the coward's way out, pull that tricky chaotic neutral route, instead of standing firm and doing something.

I was going to do what I could to prevent my cycle from... becoming what it is.

The name I go by now, is Hydronine. Metal and water are things I have some control over- and I've discarded a lot of useless talents I used to have. I made myself into what I couldn't in the other cycle. And when we reached out to each other through these machines, I was able to transfer over quickly enough that she couldn't fight it.

Ten fucking years of trying to fix my own cycle led to this. If I could just change how this cycle turns out- everything will be fine.

If I can't, My cycle's doomed. It will require a lot to save it, but I have every resource I need, in this cycle.

I lost everything there. There's nothing left for me in hat world if I don't change it. Everyone I loved has either changed, died, or met with a fate worse than both of those two.

Our cycle isn't just tearing apart... it's holding on by threads- if I can't change something, my word will end, and everyone there will cease to be, or be locked in that world and unable to progress into another cycle.

I refuse to stand by and watch that.

It took a few moments to actually be able to move, and my vision was... less than prefect for a moment... cleared up pretty quickly, but it irked me.

knew this place, I knew the people, I knew how I could get this all done...

"I'm ok, I'm ok... it's me... I'm still me... just a little different." I managed to say before disconnecting myself from every goddamned thing in the room. "We need to get out of here, bring that list and we're all leaving, in twenty minutes a group will be in here to check the building, and we do not want to be here during that, take everything you think you need and lets go."

I was already on my feet and walking to towards the exit.

"Kate, I have another place I need to go to."

I could barely understand what had just happened one minute she was sitting there the next her entire appearance had changed, and before I could say anything she was already half way across the room giving everybody orders. I wanted to protest but decided it'd be better to just go with the flow for now, I pocketed my own copy of the list and grabbed one of the employee key card and a steel utensil tray. It wasn't much but the keycard was definitely a luck find in my opinion, I was just about to step out the door when something clicked. She'd been hooked up to the memory machine pretty much since the time she got here how could she possibly know whether someone was coming or not. But rather than question it I decided to just go with the flow for now and ran after the others.

Something was wrong. Terribly wrong. She couldn't place her thumb on what, but something was beginning to happen that shouldn't have been possible. And then the machines began to scream and flash error messages, screens red and angry. Lulu's attention was pulled away from the crumpled man to the woman who had strapped herself in. Was she ok? What was going on? It was surprising to see that she was changing. Drastically. Colours were fading from her skin and her hair grew a vibrant and her eyes changed blue. It was if she had ceased to be the person she was before.

Lulu didn't trust the claim that she was still... well, herself. She sounded different. There was less curiousness in the voice, filled more with the determination to change. And worst of all was the underlying current of knowledge. There was a knowledge within her, one Lulu wasn't aware if she'd become privy to or not. Not to mention she seemed to know exactly when the guards would arrive. Still, she had made herself an accessory to whatever plan this woman may have just by following her into the building. She doubted it would be possible to walk away now. With a small hiss through her teeth, she bundled up as much as the papers as she could, held in one arm as she turned her attention back to the strange man before.

"Can you stand? We need to move..." Her voice sounded worried. For herself mostly, but there was the small concern that maybe he had crumpled due to injury. Her glance darted to the rest of the group, moving quickly towards the exit. She didn't want to be left behind. She extended her hand out to him, offering her assistance.

The reaper clicked and clacked as fresh shells were fed from the hopper to the weapons twin chambers, Raun bared his teeth in a sembelence of a grin behind his helm, his vox crackling slightly as it activated, opening a private channel with Malik
"I shall enjoy tearing that blue haired bitch to peices with fist and blade" he muttered, taking in the bare grey walls that surrounded the group, envisioning the best place to plant charges, the likely placement of supports and searching for hidden walls behind which enemy soldiers would hide, waiting for an order to pounce.

The Reaper swept from side to side as he listened intently for telltale sounds such as the metallic click of weapons loading.

there was nothing

Vay had no weapons, he didn't need them. "Patience." he hissed as he passed the well armed marine and caught they girl's scent lingering in the air. Exotic and tantalizing and the sorcerer slowly licked his lips. "She might be useful on your plans, and maybe we can show her the delights of the darker powers."

His gloved hand was resting on the arm of Raun's armon, a gesture of united purpose. "One way or another I will revel in her screams, provided you use a weapon what alows me time to savor them." it was a request and a compromise that was followed by Vay moving away from the marine and sitting on a chair. "If this is of course a trap, this building, it occupants, and the occupants of all those around it are fortieth, their souls, pitiful as they are, a sacrifice to the true gods.

Malik responded through the same channel "Indeed Vay, I'm also curious as to what gives these particular humans the gall to run us around like common swine." Malik strode to a nearby chair, his armored boots cracking the floor as he walked, loosed the two handed chainsword from it's place on his back, and sat down holding his sword tip to the ground.

He took a deep breath before speaking, addressing the whole house. "My Friend's patience is Tried, and my curiosity is piqued. There are few who would treat the brothers of darkness so casually. Show yourself, and let us speak."

A bit more flowery than his usual manner of speech. "Now brother," he said back on the private vox. "We see who would summon two veterans of the long war."

Sakura watched the screen, mesmerized. How long had it been since someone had spoken to her so directly, so vividly. She could not remember. The danger he spoke of, the trouble, she didn't quite understand. All this time, had she been sleeping? She blinked away fresh tears. As if a part of her, deep inside her, was suffering, begging to cry out. Something inside her agreed. Something made it feel like what he spoke was the ultimate truth.

.She didn't quite understand why, but she was compelled to say yes. She looked over at the strange woman, the robotic woman, and shook her head. At the moment she only need peace of mind. She sat up slowly, leaning back against the bed, clenching and unclenching her fingers, "I don't completely understand, but I feel that he's speaking the truth. So I will help." The sentences were awkward and ill-phrased, but her heart was in it. For reasons she couldn't understand, the declaration gave her a sense of strength she had not felt in so long.

[dash=teal] For a moment I watched my friend, but it soon became too much for me. Turning my gaze away, and shuffled through the papers a moment. List of names, dates, items...what on earth was this all about? Notes scribbled in coded writing I couldn't dream to decipher at the drop of the hat. One thing did catch my attention, a name at the top. Not just any name, my name. I pulled the papers and began to scan them. It held information about me...everything was here. Dates, places I've worked, people I knew, my entire life laid out before me on paper and pen. What the HELL were they doing here?

My thoughts were interrupted as I happened to glance up and saw the change. TK had changed RIGHT before my eyes! What the fuck was going on?! She was coming too and her eyes must have caught mine as I slammed the button to turn it off and moved toward her.

"I'm ok, I'm ok... it's me... I'm still me... just a little different." Little different? That was an understatement. I arched a curious brow before she continued to speak in a hurried tone while ripping out all the cords.

"We need to get out of here, bring that list and we're all leaving, in twenty minutes a group will be in here to check the building, and we do not want to be here during that, take everything you think you need and lets go."

How did she know all of this? What had happened in there? Everyone began to quickly scatter, but I remained there looking at my friend trying to figure out if she really was the same person. I opened my mouth to say something but she beat me to it.

"Kate, I have another place I need to go to."

For a moment i just stood there, then I went back to grab the list of papers as she'd said (shoving the ones with mine inside my coat) and turned back toward TK. "This is really fucked up you know...what the hell happened--you know what never mind." I sighed some, "I'm guessing I'm not going to have much of a choice, similar to my decision to come here in the first place. So, where are we going now?"

Despite the unease in my stomach, I felt a slight tinge of excitement mixed in. Something about this felt right as much as it did completely insane and wrong. I'd come this far, there was no turning back. A faint smirk came to my lips showing that I'd trust her, for now.

[/dash]

I fold the sheet of paper and slip it in my pocket as Lulu offers me a hand. Grabbing her hand I push myself up off the ground.

"Thank you" I say, taking great pains to keep my legs from buckling. I stumble a few steps towards the door before my legs start functioning a bit better and am able to get up to a limping walk.

Finally taking note of the change that had happened during the blackout, I stumbled a bit before catching myself on the wall.

"The hell is going on around here?" I rhetorically sputter. My head was still pounding, but at least I could halfway function in getting out of the room.

Chaos shook his head in a attempt to keep his mind clear. He still wasn't entirely awake yet and was only vaguely aware of his location. He still hadn't spoken since getting on his transportation. The people around him however continued to make him uneasy. They seemed to revel in chaos, death, and destruction. Doing his best to keep himself around the others one thought kept piercing his mind.

"I gotta get away from these guys...they're just going to make my job difficult..."

[DASH=white]The world's not as simple as you think. Sometimes, even if you try to foresee every twist and turn- there still might be something in your path that will give you an obstacle to deal with. This is not a game of chess- it never runs by the same rules twice- and the slightest of changes can have the gravest effect.

The ebb and flow of chaos and order within the Cycle was sometimes as choreographed and planned as the moon and sun- and other times, it was as disorderly as it could get- pushing itself towards its own destruction. In spite of not knowing for sure, some will do anything to fix their broken cycles- though, whether or not they can truly be fixed, remains a shaky subject.

Some Cycles have proven that you can... others, do everything in their power to make sure you're as fucked in the beginning as you are in the end.

The Cycle does what it wants- and like it or not- most times, we are all pulled and pushed by its invisible strings.

[/DASH]

"We all need to go. Now." I spoke out, louder this time, for any of the hard of hearing.

Kate was going to be useful to me, and I needed her- I knew what she might become. So I was cheating this cycle a bit and playing unfairly- who gave a flying fuck? No one would even know what I was doing.

I had been a trickster in every cycle it had seemed- even in my own, I was born into that role- but I wasn't within the confines of that role anymore. No... To survive, they had even changed that about me. Soon enough, though, as I approached the door- I caught a glimpse of what I had tried to avoid.

"BACK EXIT, BACK EXIT! RUN, STOP FUCKING AROUND!" I yelled out, grabbing Kate by the wrist and pulled her along as I made my way- fast enough to avoid the goddamned flash bangs that had just been thrown in- though the sound was enough to disorient me, even though I had tried to get Kate and I a good distance away.

No time to pause.

No time to check and see if anyone else was following. Honestly, I didn't give a fuck if anyone followed- their choice and funeral, not mine.

The next twenty-four hours were crucial. If I didn't start this right- everything that I was fighting for, everything I had done to get here, was for nothing.

I dragged Kate along, and in that small alleyway behind the Angel Wing building was the backup. Three cops.

I didn't have my usual tools on me, but they did. Armed and ready, they were the police of Iwaku City. Their word was law, they spoke for the metaphorical "Big Brother". No doubt they caught on to what was being done in this building- shutting it down and destroying it was a priority for them right now. That was pretty goddamned obvious.

I let go of Angel and took a bit of a breath- attempting to draw water out of the cold air that felt heavy with rain- but in this body, still marked by this world's government, I was under restraint. Great.

Ain't that just fuckin' awesome?

Yeah... So, in a way, my hands were tied right now- but I was doing better than I expected.

So I did what anyone would do in my place- get pissed off and fed up. I remembered what had happened in this cycle... remembered how things would go down- what I had to change. I could do this, I just had to think. I had trained for this chance- but at the distance Kate and I were at- with their guns- they had the upper hand... if they were just a bit closer, I'd be within a range where using a gun would be awkward.

Ok, play the right cards, figure out the right lines- it was all just a puzzle...

"Hands up, and on your knees- no funny business." One of them spoke. Fingers on their triggers- all of them.

Play the cards.

I raised my hands and I got on my knees, pulling Kate down with me.

They got closer, two of them keeping their guns focused on us and the first slapped hand cuffs on Kate and I- while another group came in from behind them and passed- looking for the rest of us, probably. This was fine, a small detour, nothing more. They wanted to take us in as "witnesses". I remembered this. One of the other men, finally holstered his weapon as well, probably preparing to move Kate.

"Don't make any sudden movements." The fucker warned us as he hefted me to my feet. I enjoyed going slack and making him have to drag me- fuck it, if I was going through this trouble, I was going to fucking make them regret this. Just a little more.... just a little more.

One small link in my handcuffs was trembling and slowly pulling apart. Quiet... quiet... slow.

The link finally burst apart halfway to the car they were gonna stuff us in, and at that point I reached up, and with hands trained from thieving and desperation, I managed to get to the holster of his gun- tearing it open- he moved defensively, like anyone would. I rolled away from him and sprang to my feet. Quick. One second could mean failure.

He went for his gun in defense, taking one second too long to draw, I was already back in awkward range.

One man left who hadn't re-drawn his gun- The one on Kate. The other was taking a second too long to focus on the other police group that were still in the building.

Still good. We're still good.

I stalked forward, hand outreached- focused. The anger flowed and ebbed through me, rising with every breath that cop drew. It coursed through me as I pushed the gun away- a shot ringing out into the street, striking the concrete. I managed to keep him off-balance long enough to grab him by the wrist, using my thumbnail to dig into tender flesh- just enough to flinch. I didn't want to take that weapon of his yet- better for him to try and think I'm trying to take it. He overcompensated - trying to keep me off his gun, two seconds wasted on something I didn't even want, yet.

Another shot- the round digging into my shin and embedding itself in flesh and bone. I found my anger rising as a hiss of pain left my lips. They lost their rights to their firearms now. And their goddamned lives as well- restricted powers or not, I'd find a way to end them.

I used that anger as a driving force... remember what would have happened here if I hadn't intruded.

Who dies, and who lives.

Anger is one of my many talents now- a careful instrument that I used like a battering ram in this instance. I backed up a bit and then ran forward- the pain in my leg was a hindrance in the form of a limp. Still, I pushed myself forward and aimed to at least budge the man, get him off balance, take his gun- hopefully.

I tucked my head down and braced for impact- and he was off balance for just a second- and I gave a secondary shove- and as he fell, I plucked the gun from his hand. My finger tightened on that trigger and a round sunk into the flesh and bone of his chest. The second round went into the cop near Kate- though my aim had been off. I let loose another shot- taking cover on their car- fuck it, why would I care if they drill holes into their one blasted c-

One round hit too close. I didn't want to become a fireball along with the car, so I moved back. I managed to squeeze one more shot off- finally mortally wounding the bastard near Kate and limped back to her, keeping low. The last guy in our range was finally reacting,and I had enough sense to pull Kate back and to the side, taking cover on a building. The anger had kept my sense of pain was dull enough that I hadn't noticed that a bullet grazed my cheek, enough for a good amount of blood to seep from it.

I raced across, back to the car, which was smoking, but seemed fine still- good. I worked quick, loosening screws using my influence over metal, mixed with using my claws as a kind of screw driver, prying it apart, and dragged the passenger side car door off.

I dragged the hunk of door over to Kate and grinned. "I need you to help me carry this, run with this and bowl that guy over- just help me keep momentum, I'll take care of the rest." I murmured, and without giving her much time to think on it, I was dragging her along again, shots were dinging off the door- not perfectly bullet-proof, but good enough. The guy was on his back pretty soon, and I took his weapon after making sure to destroy any chance of the fucker getting up again and then handed it to Kate.

"We have to make sure the others get out fine and safe too- it's important." I told her, looking in where the other police group had entered- and a round barely missed me... ok, it was stupid to think that they didn't hear the little show down.

"Any ideas?" I asked Kate with a grin- sure we were at a disadvantage, but there was hope- lot better odds than I was used to.

The clacking of dress shoes rang out the halls, and soon the group was joined by an older-looking gentleman, in a double breasted dark suit and graying hair. His features weren't at all remarkable, or memorable.

He was maybe within the 70-90 year range, and had a bit of a hunched back and relied on a gnarled wooden cane. Still, he seemed glad and hospitable.

"Ah, I've been waiting for your arrival- you men kept me waiting, but I'll over look that- the way here is a little... difficult to reach but any other way than that tunnel you were led through. I'm sure you're also confused as to why you're here."

Meanwhile, in the deeper, more concealed parts of the mansion, a person seemed to be intently watching a screen that held a view of Sakura and Gaia on the screen- he was dressed in a simple white lab coat- and was surrounded by an array of medical supplies. It had been particularly difficult to ween her off of the drugs that seemed to have been in her system, as well as keeping an eye on her, due to her fragile state right now. He had been brought to this place months ago in preparation for Sakura's arrival. All expenses paid for. All for this one woman.

His hair was fair, to the point of being white, skin pale, and warm brown eyes, and yet, in the smallest ways, something seemed off about the man.

Meticulously, though, he seemed to switch from watching the screen to running tests on Sakura's blood.

No.... she wouldn't be able to leave for a while longer...which was better for her... and him.

[DASH=maroon]
I woke with a pounding headache... The kind where you know even moving an inch would bother you even more- so you try to stay as still as you can, and go back to sleep...

Instead, bright white lights illuminated my dank cell- much to my discomfort. I twitched, moving quickly to a corner- retching. My head was spinning and nothing sounded like it should.

I couldn't remember anything... I didn't know anything- hell my mind was empty, and besides a few things here and there, like my name, age and some simple things, I was having trouble remembering anything. I vomited again and curled up on the floor, a distance away from it.

I raised my head, just enough to look around, found I was in a small, small little concrete cell- topped off with a pretty heavy-looking door. Ok... why am I here?

What did I do to get here?

[/DASH]

Gaia seemed to nod in response to Sakura's words, turning and getting a pad of paper and a pen from a nearby desk.

"It would he-elp if you pra-acticed your sp-peech for when you t-talk to your pe-people again." She spoke, seeming proud of getting through a sentence without the wretched sound of dial-tone coming through. Still, she continued on, "Th-they are trying to c-cover up your a-absence.... y-you need to p-prove to the p-people what's r-really been going-" And there it was, the dial-tone.

She paused for a moment, then continued on. "On."

"The master of the h-house risked m-much to w-whisk you away to here... H-he knew that y-your time was r-running out in that p-place... and he couldn't stand to s-see you stuffed away for the r-rest of the cycle... F-find a wa-ay to connect with th-the people." She finished.

In the inside of the Angel Wings Project Building, much like outside, everyone had been told to get down on their knees and hands up- though most had been startled by the gunfire- there were four of them- two keeping look out, and the two others keeping an eye on the small group- then the three others from the front entrance came in. Seven people, armed against the group- trying to keep things neat and tidy.

The problem was, they wanted everyone moved- the building needed to be empty, now.

Three things depended on this building, but in its current state, it was useless.

There was obviously some confusion on where exactly to place the individuals they found- precisely, what to do with them?

"We need to get to the main computer on the second floor- and three people need to be up there.... how is this going to work?" One of the men asked towards another, the other seemed to be the leader of this group. They needed to get the small group of people in here and outsde to get out of the area so they couldn't interfere... but how to move them?

[DASH=red]
281979_10151071401741909_1121183842_n_zps30c8f8b0.jpg

Iwaku City....

What was left of it in this timeline, the one TK had been transferred to. Where Hydronine and one other had come from. A city of strangling survivors, dying slowly in the throes of pain and mistrust. Simple supplies, as well as food and water were rare- most of it took a group traveling through the more dangerous parts above ground to retrieve. It had been weeks since the last group had been sent out, and they hadn't returned- probably killed.

All manner of horrendous creatures prowled the streets, some kind of mutation of citizens mixed with the genetic makeup of spammers, trolls, flamers, pimprats, and other beasts. Buildings crumbled and decayed on the surface, while the regular citizens of Iwaku were forced to retreat to the only safe place left- the sewers and tunnels that led to Insanity. Forced into cramped living situations, these citizens were as untrusting as you could get- trespassers were killed before they could get close enough to be clearly seen. All for the sake of keeping safe.

All for the sake of surviving.

This was the hell that Iwaku had become.

A small number of colonies scrambling just to live, as compared to the large numbers that had once lived freely without fear. When had it all changed? What happened?

A number of things- easily preventable, yet, on such a large scale- they had all started within hours of each other... multiple front lines being taken down while the citizens had gone about their lives, blissfully unaware of the changes in the works, of the power shifting hands.

Bridges and roads to other lands had disappeared and the inflow of people eventually stopped... and no one could leave.... Iwaku was dying out- their last colonies barely even had a birthrate- death tolls were growing higher each day.

The heroes... the legends... their names and reincarnates were destroyed. Books and histories, long since torn and shredded so that no one could recall them. No one would even hope to go searching for answers anymore- fear ruled these people.

Hope was something akin to a flickering candle, embraced by the starkest of darkness- so fragile and soft, that one would do anything to keep it alive, even if it meant hiding it so that no one could see it. Hope was something that was preemptively snuffed out, so as not to get anyone thinking that they'd be saved, only to have the truth knock them on their asses. No one could save them. No one could stop this.

Their suffering would take years to end, and no one could stop it.

But still. The capable ones banked on that small flickering candle, doing everything they could to reset the slate- figure out a way to change their world. They guided the healthy and strong to where they could be used, and in the darkness, the evilest of alchemy was performed.

Hope became a poison to the strong, blinding them. Hope was also an antidote- but that was unable to be understood just yet.

Logic and reason was cast aside for fear and paranoia.

In one corner of this hellhole, a group discussed their options- how to save themselves, at the cost of sacrificing their remaining citizens...

A plan to create a Cycle of their own. One that is entirely controlled and maintained, but it would come at a heavy price.
[/DASH]

The old man grinned at the group, suddenly focusing on Chaos with an unreadable expression. His eyes focused and he blinked, then stepped forward, rocking forward before snatching up Chaos by an arm and inspecting it.

"I'll trade you the entirety of my armory for this man. I've been waiting for him to eventually end up here." The man spoke fervently, an with a snap of his frail fingers, the room suddenly unfolded, walls coming away and revealing drawers and doors filled with guns and ammunition, cannons, all ranges of automatic, semi-automatic, and even some rather alien-looking weaponry. And doors and drawers were still opening and revealing more weapons- hell, even the next room over seemed to be opening up.

"I have vehicles as well.... I will prepare anything you need, for any sort of trouble you're planning to make- I will back you.... in exchange, I want this man."
He reaffirmed his words, and his hand became a vice grip on Chaos's wrist. "My plans require him." He added.

Status
Not open for further replies.