Iwaku Ratings (and Discord roleplays)

Whoohoo! I always hated the cookie and hug ratings! They always seemed super condescending in my opinion! Anywho, I got a question about the Nice Execution rating.

Um...

Am I the only one irritated that it doesn't look the same as the others ones... >_>
Nope, but people have suggested alternatives that would fit.

Maybe instead of the rating being called 'you need a hug' it could just be called 'hug' ...? I don't think that one could be used maliciously?

I can confirm that you can hug someone maliciously, since you can make faces at them behind their back without them seeing. I have done so myself on multiple occasions.

I'd say glomping someone is a malicious af hug

• Haha
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Navuso and Joan
I miss the facehugger...

Is there a way to make the emojis less fuzzy and more solid? They're a bit of a strain to see apart from Nice Execution.

ALso, hear me out, but what about adding a potato rating.

Potatoes are the most resourceful thing. You can have potato buns, fries, chips, baked with all the fixings. Potato ratings would be like "this post is wholesome and hearty and I want more of it." It can replace the executioner in meaning, especially since potatoes are far less harmless as they can even weild an axe.

ALso, hear me out, but what about adding a potato rating.

Potatoes are the most resourceful thing. You can have potato buns, fries, chips, baked with all the fixings. Potato ratings would be like "this post is wholesome and hearty and I want more of it." It can replace the executioner in meaning, especially since potatoes are far less harmless as they can even weild an axe.
Yes...but...How about we add Potato and also keep Execution? Because while potato can mean 'wholesome and hearty and loved', Execution can mean 'you killed this and did a great job'

Wouldn't a heart be enough for wholesome and hearty though?

Yes...but...How about we add Potato and also keep Execution? Because while potato can mean 'wholesome and hearty and loved', Execution can mean 'you killed this and did a great job'
I completely agree! Why not have both?

Wouldn't a heart be enough for wholesome and hearty though?
Hearty hahahaha

I will admit that I am bummed to see the emotes gone, but goodness, all the ghost ratings now. ( If you looked up previous ratings with the old ratings, you can't see the rating, but it mentions you rated. It's kind of creepy. Though Nice execution looks nice and different, I like its style more than the new ones. They seem too... gimmicky ( They also look really bright on phones, so there is that. Kind of bright on laptops too.

I will admit that I am bummed to see the emotes gone, but goodness, all the ghost ratings now. ( If you looked up previous ratings with the old ratings, you can't see the rating, but it mentions you rated. It's kind of creepy. Though Nice execution looks nice and different, I like its style more than the new ones. They seem too... gimmicky ( They also look really bright on phones, so there is that. Kind of bright on laptops too.
I agree with that as well. I'm starting to get used to the new ones over time, but I still and probably always will prefer the old style over these....they just seem too....flat. Generic. They've lost personality :/ it's not quite as fun or as satisfying to hit the ratings anymore.

I agree with that as well. I'm starting to get used to the new ones over time, but I still and probably always will prefer the old style over these....they just seem too....flat. Generic. They've lost personality :/ it's not quite as fun or as satisfying to hit the ratings anymore.

Agreed.

o.o

Well you guys :D We always have a whole bunch of emoticons that can be used as well ^_^

Do not despair, change always takes a while to get used to.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
o.o

Well you guys :D We always have a whole bunch of emoticons that can be used as well ^_^

Do not despair, change always takes a while to get used to.
Yeah I know it's just not the same :(

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to rate less. And avoid the smiley faces like the plauge. They're creepy to me XD

No more alien you-need-a-hug rating? How else can I tell someone I feel for them, but at the same want a parasite to explode out of their abdomen???? *screeches*

Well, I guess I can always post the gif, which is doubly more horrifying.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

"Softly the leaves of memory fall,
Gently I gather and treasure them all.
Unseen, unheard,
You are always near,
So missed, so loved, so very dear."
-Softly by Colin Gordon-Farleigh

Poor little face hugger. You will be missed T~T

I may have only used it once before but it was very much loved. Oh well, at least we got a laughing thing~ :3​

Why not just go all the way and adopt Discord's post reaction system, where you rate a lost using one out of every available emoji?

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
Don't forget, you can give your own custom rating by posting a reply
Just like this

"Goodjob"
upload_2018-3-13_9-23-32.png

I'd like to clarify that the sentiment that sparked this discussion was not just "the ratings are confusing", it was "the ratings are confusing AND abused". It's not just that people found the cookie condescending; people used it to be condescending, and people knew that, and some people refused to use it because of that. It's not just that no one could tell what the facehugger was or was unsure how to take it because it was a creepy facehugger; it's that people were using it passive-aggressively.

I half-jokingly proposed in the discussion that we just get rid of all ratings, but obviously that's not actually fair to you guys and would let a few assholes ruin everything for everyone. This whole discussion was geared with you guys in mind, both in terms of an easy to navigate, easy-to-understand Iwaku as well as one that doesn't encourage people to be snarky bitches without even having to post. I know it seems like we took away a toy and you're being punished for what other people did, but that's not really the idea here.

The other half of the discussion involved the fact that people were requesting more ratings, especially ratings like on Amor that could be roleplay-applicable. Unfortunately with the way our site is set up, implementing a split system like Amor's with forum-specific ratings would break stuff; a ton of your ratings would disappear, things might get borked, etc. In lieu of that, we decided to add just two that were applicable both to RP posts AND the OOC areas of the site: a laughing one and one to express sadness.

The bulk of THAT discussion involved ideas for how to express sadness without making room for it to be used passive-aggressively. I'm serious. We spent more time on that one conversation point than anything else, because the whole point was to try and avoid that in the first place. Spite ratings are a more frequent issue than you might think.

I will add that while I personally do not care much about having any ratings beyond "Like" and maybe "Thank", and was more a yes-man to this suggestion--although I do like streamlining, because less clutter IS more attractive to new people even when we all love and understand a thing--it is rather disheartening to see this kind of backlash to something that came from a long and thoughtful discussion to try and improve the site experience for our users, especially over a feature so relatively small and superfluous in the scheme of things. I'm not saying that anyone can't disagree with the decision or that you're not entitled to your feelings on the subject. Pleasing everyone would be impossible, and we know that! But I hope that you can all understand that this was not done because of a vocal minority bullying us into something, or because newbies are ignorant and we don't have resources to explain things to them, but that we genuinely care and strive to actively address site issues after comprehensively considering all the facts.

Why not just go all the way and adopt Discord's post reaction system, where you rate a lost using one out of every available emoji?

With the current rating system we have, that would cause a huge block under posts and make the site awful to navigate. We would have to find an addon that allowed for this new system, if it even exists AND is compatible with our site build, and then add however much it costs for initial licensing and then updates to our yearly quota for donations. That's a lot of effort into research, testing, and, and $ for something that can be accomplished now by just posting an actual reply for free. It also would likely kill all existing ratings and I feel like that would quite justifiably upset people a lot more than removing two ratings has.