Iwaku Ratings (and Discord roleplays)

Oh wow. I am like super late to this party (well - I mean maybe more like funeral, but whatever).

I'm not exactly a huuuge fan. I guess to me, it seemed to sort of come out of left field. I understand y'all are admins so you listen to a lot of the discourse going on in the other threads for community -- totally get that. It's your job. But, I see it as a sort of 'survivability fallacy." The people who don't complain (who may be the vast majority) don't post about it at all. So the only side that exists on the threads is the people who do post complaints, which may give a way bigger impression of discontent than there actually is.

Personally, it feels like, with something that affects the site that much (I'm gonna say we all use ratings pretty heavily) I would've liked a poll of some kind to sort of get a feel for the opinion of the site before making a change. Time will tell if we get used to it.

As far as the actual emojis themselves, I feel like we sort of lost some depth (though I think we can all agree Go Home, You're Drunk was universally panned). That may be just be due to 'site culture' adding more meanings to each rating than what it was on face value, making it difficult for new members (but honestly that same problem's probably going to keep cropping up no matter what - sites end up with a culture that ends up being inaccessible for a bit to new members, it's just how groups of people work).

While I agree that the 'You Need A Hug' was confusing because of the alien in it, the general feel of it should be kept - sympathy. The crying emoji doesn't seem to really get that across other than 'that made me sad'. The 'you get a cookie' emoji felt a lot more like a 'thank' and a 'great job!' all rolled in one, and I'm really unsure how that was somehow construed as negative.

I agree we needed a "that was friggin' hilarious" rating because I've had issues with that in the past. Though honestly the 'crying-laughing' emoji would have fit that better than a smiling face. That might just be me.

The others gave a lot more of a reason for WHY we liked a specific post, rather than just 'liking' it or 'loving' it - basically, specificity. And maybe it's because I'm an old fogey, I really hate how flat the new emoticons look. I'm not sure what it is, but they seem to lack personality.

The only other gripe I've got is that the resource tabs for the coding only has like and love, whereas Useful and Thank You would very, very helpful in that area of the site for people who give coding advice/have coding questions. Expanding some of the ratings there would be awesome.

Somewhat, just the fact I want my cake and to eat it too. Maybe we can have some reinstated? Like my beloved You Get a Hug?

To be fair though,, the previous ones were a little harder to see on dark bg *thinking*
I noticed that since I started occasionally using dusk.

To be fair though,, the previous ones were a little harder to see on dark bg *thinking*
I noticed that since I started occasionally using dusk.
Having a black outline would help. The lighter colors are there for the darker bgs, and the black outline is there for the lighter bgs.

• Useful
Reactions: Neobullseye
e26.jpg

>_> Let's be sure we're keeping this a civil discussion....

@Grumpy Yeah that's not helpful to anybody.

I want to reach a compromise, not nix the whole idea. It was a mixed bag to me and I think there were ways to execute it better. I'm not against the idea of getting rid of some stuff, but maybe there's a middle ground somewhere on keeping what people like while adding things that people might not have wanted removed by using a different icon but the same overall feel of the rating.

I agree on that point of visibility. Maybe choosing images with an easier color palette for people using Sunrise, because not everyone reads white-on-black easily.

Reactions: Navuso and Vars
EVERYONE'S IDEAS ARE BAD AND YOU ALL SHOULD FEEL BAD.

ESPECIALLY YOU.

YES YOU, LOOKING AT THE MONITOR/TABLET/PHONE.

I AM TARGETING YOU PERSONALLY.

No more cookies for anyone... :C

Bit more serious though, I'm on the side of things that didn't see the need for a change and simply didnt speak of it, as was suggested before. But what now exists seems okay for me for the most part.

(What I don't exactly like is the invasion of the yellow emojis to the bar, but that's my personal taste).

If you could bring back the cookie rating, I would be forever happy.

and I'm really unsure how that was somehow construed as negative.
It was occasionally used as a sarcastic you tried token, like a consolation prize. Alternatively, dismissing someone's input in a discussion in a that's nice kiddo, now let the adults talk kinda way.

Not saying this is the primary way it was used, but definitely something I've seen. (And occasionally used myself on @HerziQuerzi's posts, but playfully, of course.)

Alright, thanks for the explanation @Holmishire. I do hope that maybe some sort of inbetween might be worked out, seeing as quite a few people have lamented that it's gone now, for example maybe a ribbon icon or something else that gets across the same idea as a 'good job, very helpful' sort of rating.

As far as the 'hug' rating, perhaps an 'ouch' rating might be more acceptable? (maybe with a bandaid or something similar to get across a similar vibe)

I'm also kind of sad that the pixel style of them changed, but that's more of a taste thing for me. I just have a fondness for the pixelated ratings as I think they've got a lot of character and personality.

• Love
Reactions: Holmishire
As far as the ratings being difficult to view on light backgrounds: we'll take a look. The difficulty with them is mostly found (as far as I can tell) in the fact that the rating box is greyed out when not in use. On my screen, not greyed out (existing ratings, hovering) they look sufficiently vibrant. These emoji were not custom-made (we are using Twemoji due to their open source) but we'll see about trying to make it as easily viewable as possible for everyone.

As far as the potential to add other emoji, we may take some of these suggestions into consideration. As you can see from this thread (and I also recommend a read of the threads linked here) lots of people have lots of different opinions and meanings attached to different images, titles, etc. so it's a process of doing our best to pick ratings that have a valuable unfilled niche with meanings that are at least primarily not sarcastic/passive-aggressive with images that convey the feeling of the reaction, and are hopefully fairly easy to understand for new members.

Also, about the resources... you mean the tab, right? I think it only has the like rating because, as a separate addon, it is not fully integrated with our other shiny addon - post ratings. Like only is actually the default setting :)

I will miss the 'you need a hug' rating for sure. I know I personally use the 'T_T'/':sob:' emoji mostly for non-serious situations. I wouldn't feel right using it to give sympathy to sad posts in the 'rant your brains out' thread, for example, which is what I used 'you need a hug' for. Oh well.

I know I personally use the 'T_T'/':sob:' emoji mostly for non-serious situations. I wouldn't feel right using it to give sympathy to sad posts in the 'rant your brains out' thread, for example, which is what I used 'you need a hug' for. Oh well.
Building off this, I do worry that the T_T reactmote lends itself well to meaning crybaby. That being said, I am an expert at imagining double meanings to reactmotes, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Navuso
Building off this, I do worry that the T_T reactmote lends itself well to meaning crybaby. That being said, I am an expert at imagining double meanings to reactmotes, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.
But that’s rather the point; any emoji can be misconstrued or misused.

• Thank You
Reactions: Elle Joyner
I completely agree with this actually. I used the "you need a hug" rating to express sympathy and sympathy alone (or for a really really sad IC post)- I never knew anyone would use it passive aggressively. I believe that perhaps it should be replaced with a different icon? I saw someone mention a band-aid, and I thought that was a good idea. A more...healing approach. Personally, I get annoyed when people reply to my genuinely sad posts with crying emojis, because it seems to me less serious than it should be- less unique and heartfelt.

That, and the generic yellow round face is, personally, not my favorite. But I'll roll with whatever the admins decide to do.

As for the "nice execution" rating, I like it a lot and it is my personal favorite to receive- it means, to me, that the person has done an exceptional, mind blowing job and deserves a pat on the back for their hard work. So I really hope it's not removed >.<

I will definitely miss "You need a hug" rating, but I understand why it was removed!

I'm loving the Discord emojis though, I am a filthy abuser of emojis on Discord because I love them so much.

I think the "rofl" one should be either the ACTUAL :rofl: emoji, or the :joy: emoji from Discord. The current one here is the :smile: which is one of the only emojis I used genuinely LOL.

I understand everyone's concerns about bringing back the ratings that were removed. I share some of those concerns, but I think at this point the admins are aware of the community's reactions to the change. Changes are often hard to accept but I think in a few months we'll probably have forgotten and we'll all be fine with the new ratings.

Whoohoo! I always hated the cookie and hug ratings! They always seemed super condescending in my opinion! Anywho, I got a question about the Nice Execution rating.

Um...

Am I the only one irritated that it doesn't look the same as the others ones... >_>