Iuvenes Magi Magicae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amelia woke up and did her usual routine like nothing had happened yesterday, well tried to act like it. She knew as soon as she got to school some things might've changed. New school nurse, perceptions of people, and actions, are just few of the things that might've changed.

Amelia walked into the classroom after parting with her friends. Many people were speaking of the incident which wasen't a surprise. It's not everyday the school nurse goes crazy. People came to ask her questions, but she just looked down and didn't answer. It wasn't something she wanted to talk about. She soon zoned out like usual. Until some voices ended up catching her ears. "Karou and Eiji have a connection somehow?" She though. She speculated within her head people zoning out again.

As expected, he was receiving hate glares from Karou. He didn't mind. He didn't need her approval. To be a good magi, she'd have to work hard. Not listening to him last night didn't help her case, and he had had prior engagements he didn't wish to be late for anyway. The other girls seemed to be just fine, however, but he'd still have to talk to him whenever he could. He looked down at his phone under his desk, and sent out a text to all the girls, regardless of whether they had given him their numbers or not. He had them, and he used them. He had used them so many times that they were really the only cell numbers he knew would be of any real use.

{To: Yusuki, Amelia, Kaoru, Karou, Kyo, 8:02 AM: Regardless of whether you know it or not, you all share the same lunch block with me. That is convenient, isn't it? Anyway, please meet me on the roof at lunch. Despite what you think, it won't be locked... and you, Kyo, you don't really know me yet do you? Well, fate dictates that you are just as important as they are... if you disregard this text, I have other ways of running into you on my own time. Make it easy on yourself and come up to hear me out. See you then.}

The other girls hadn't met Kyo yet, but in every instance he had neglected to group her in, bad things had happened. He just decided to play it safe. Maybe he couldn't stop them all from being magi, but maybe he could stop them from dying. If he could do at least that, he would fulfill his desire.

So it was time for their group talk. Kaoru briefly wondered how Eiji got her number, but then thought that perhaps he could have gotten it from Yuzuki. But what was more odd was the fact that he had contacted someone else along with them. Who on earth was Kyo, and why was Eiji so set on having them involved in this? She was sure that there wasn't anyone else involved in yesterday's events, so this person had to be involved for some other reason. They couldn't be one of these "Magi" people because apparently they needed an explanation as much as the rest of them. In fact, the text suggested she had not even met Eiji yet, so why he needed to include this person was beyond Kaoru.

Whatever the case, Kaoru would show up on the roof to wait for Eiji like the others. She wondered if Karou would actually show up, given she had refused the offer yesterday. On top of that, would this stranger that had apparently never met Eiji be willing to trust that message and come up here? Only time would tell.

Yuzuki stared at the group text Eiji sent, baffled by the additional name. Kyo? Who was Kyo? Apparently this person was of importance to Eiji's cause, but Yuzuki didn't know how. There wasn't any other person involved in yesterday's incident so this Kyo person certainly didn't have any connection or knowledge on the subject of Magi. As she turned off her phone she figured she'll find out who Kyo is later at the meeting Eiji was calling them for.

Once lunch hour approached, Yuzuki made an excuse to her friends she was going to eat in the library to work on school work and made her way towards the library before taking a detour once she was out of their sight. She approached the hall leading to the roof, her skin forming goosebumps as she remembered how warped and gruesome this place was just the day before. Steeling herself, she made her way through, walking up the stairway and through the door to the roof. Kaoru was already there, waiting.

"Hello, Kaoru," greeted Yuzuki, putting on a friendly smile.

Karou
Karou opened her phone and found herself looking at a text from Eiji, saying to meet him on the roof. Was he serious? There was no way she going back up there with him. The last time only resulted in her wanting to commit suicide, then finding herself jumping magic barriers until she made it home.

No. She would not go to the roof. Eiji was the last person she wanted to talk to. Instead, Karou decided to leave the school grounds to do some more practice with her new powers. They had unlimited powers, didnt they? It was only plausible. On her way out, Karou groaned in pain. There were so many different voices of other people flooding her head, making it pound. There was so much information. Other thoughts, emotions, feelings, everything that went on inside a person's head, was going on in Karou's. It hurt, which was another reason for ditching Eiji and the others to practice.

Eiji was on the roof, waiting for them. Only two had shown up... Karou was likely elsewhere, and he would deal with her later. Kyo was hard to pin down... that may even have not been her number... and it appeared that Amelia had ignored him as well, but she had seemed clueless enough that she wouldn't be in any immediate danger unless she threw herself into it. For a long time, it had seemed like she never really payed much attention to anything... maybe this time that would work out in their favor. He walked up to the two girls, and waved. "As you both know, I'm Eiji... Kaoru, you must be pretty confused. Forgive me, I hadn't had the time to tell you all as much as I wished to last night, though I had the chance to do so with Yuzuki... It costed me some time, however, and something bad happened to Karou... she became a magi. I've been tough with her, and in turn, she's been cross with me. But before I speak of her, I'd like you to ask me anything you need to, because I have more than enough time to open your eyes to what you don't see right here."

Kaoru waved at Yuzuki when she arrived on the roof. She assumed that shortly after the rest of them would arrive. But they didn't. Karou not arriving was understandable, and she could imagine that other person who had been mysteriously included might be freaked out, but she figured that Amelia would show up. In any case, Eiji got started with the explanations. Though what he ended up explaining did not turn out to be what she was expecting. In the span of a single night, it seemed that Karou had become a Magi. Eiji did not appear to be pleased with this turn of events. If nothing else, this confirmed for Kaoru that it can't be terribly difficult to become a Magi personally.

"Yeah, I got a question." Kaoru took the initiative to be the first to speak. "Yuzuki sent me a message last night that suggested that yesterday wasn't the last we were going to see of these specters. Just how much of a threat are they? Are they going to come after us?" And before Eiji could answer, she added one final question. "Also, just how does someone become a Magi? If you're telling the truth, Karou managed to become one overnight."

Karou stood in an open alleyway, breathing in the mildew scent of the buildings around her. Cats and bugs drifted lazily, going about their business. It was cool outside, and the water dripping down the buildings decreased the temperature in the strip.

She breathed in deeply, closing her eyes and seeing that little orb of light in her head. Touching it subconciously, she felt her body change and spark, and clothes changing to fit her newfound state of mind. She rather liked the costume, and she thought she looked rather fashionable.

A little orb floated next to her, and when she touched it, it expanded and contracted, turning into her scythe. It dropped into her hand, feeling familiar and comfortable in her grip. Now, what could she do to train? How did Magi train in the first place? Standing here in the alley, it became clear to her that she knew relatively nothing about Magi, or what they were even there for. She knew even little about the spectors, the things she was supposed to be fighting.

Karou focused on the space in front of her, and a barrier came into view. She tried to mold it into a sphere, something other than a rectangle, but it only shattered into a thousand little pieces, glittering and floating above her head. Karou's chest felt tight suddenly, but she tried to ignore it. Couldnt be anything serious.. Could it?

Trying again, she summoned another platform, but this time, it looked flimsy and thin. She touched it, and the air from her arm caused it to break. The Magi gasped again, leaning onto the wall for support. What was happening? Why was she so tired? Maybe she should just sleep. She felt tired. It sounded like a great idea.

Karou slumped against the wall, feeling the cold chill of damp seep through her clothes, and slid to the ground. Maybe she should have asked Eiji what it meant to be so tired after just so little time of practicing.

Yuzuki sat beside Kaoru as they waited for the others to show up. Amelia didn't show up, nor did this mysterious Kyo either. It probably would have been beneficial for them if they had come and learn what they can from Eiji, especially Amelia since she already had a taste of the specters. Nothing that can be done now, and it was their own lookout from then on. Karou was nowhere to be seen; Yuzuki wondered if this was going to be a regular thing with Karou. Disappearing and bailing at any moment, like Eiji.

"Eiji you said yesterday to watch out for strangers. Do these 'strangers' have anything to do with Karou making a contract? Including yours?

"That's a good, but sort of tricky question, Kaoru... Specters aren't a very large threat to the whole city, but if left unchecked, the results would be catastrophic. What if a specter possessed a man with nuclear launch codes? Or convinced a religious leader to kill his masses? It's happened before, and you might have heard of such things in history class...", he paused... "The oldest disastrous happening that a specter was involved in in Japan that I can think of, is when Akechi Mitsuhide betrayed Oda Nobunaga at Honnoji. Specters are very dangerous when they gain control over the wrong people, and only seek to cause grief and death. It's possible that a specter may sense your fear or knowledge of them, and posses you, or kill you to prevent you from becoming a magi.", he sighed. "Well, Yuzuki's question ties in well with yours, Kaoru. The stranger is a small creature called Kyuubey, who may offer you a wish in exchange for becoming a magi... Karou was tricked by the creature, and wished for something that would only cause her more grief. Never accept a wish from Kyuubey, no matter how good it is... becoming a magi is throwing your life away. Do not let Kyuubey trick you as he has Karou.", he told the girls. "I'd like not to speak of my contract for... personal reasons. I do not regret my choice... I see it as the only one I had. Sometimes that's the way it must be, but you still must think hard... is your life worth your wish?", he turned to look toward the edge of the roof. The girl's wishes would never be worth that. However, he wondered if he could really stop them from wishing...

Eiji's answer confirmed the worst. Although he said it was only a possibility, it was true that these specters might target her due to her newfound knowledge and, admittedly, apprehension about them. If so, she needed to protect herself. She could only assume that Eiji intended to at least continue hunting specters in the general vicinity, but Kaoru wasn't one to rely on others. She wouldn't truly feel safe until she had some method of fighting back against these creatures herself, and so she was seriously starting to consider the idea of becoming a Magi.

Of course, Eiji seemed vehemently against the idea of anyone, let alone herself, becoming a Magi. It was strange, as he admitted that his own wish served his purposes, and yet still considered this 'contract' to be a trick. She imagined there was more to his own situation than he was letting on, but she also imagined trying to get more than what he had offered out of him would be like trying to pry open a locked strongbox. Whatever the case was, there was still more she needed to know.

"Eiji, how are we supposed to defend ourselves against these specters?" She was expecting the answer to be something less than pleasing. She certainly didn't want to rely on a relative stranger, or anyone really, to keep her safe. Perhaps Eiji would surprise her and tell her there were ways to defeat them without being a Magi, though that was almost certainly wishful thinking on her part.

More than anything, she really didn't want to be told some nonsense about thinking happy thoughts again.

Yuzuki fidgeted in her seat as Eiji explained how much influence specters possessed, adding to her already growing fear after what she had seen. She wondered if she was in more danger than the others; she had seen a specter, not had a brushing or a veiled encounter with one, but had seen it in its true form. She sincerely hoped that was not the case.

So it was a little creature whom Karou had made a contract with, promising to grant her any wish she desired. That must mean Eiji had met this creature and had made a contract with them some time ago. Yuzuki wondered why these people made such contracts. Eiji was always emphasizing not follow that path as much as possible, that it was the equivalent to suicide. Though he had accepted his choices and proceeded forward with hardly any regrets. Then it must have been something really, really important for Karou and Eiji to, as Eiji put it, throw away their lives.

"I told you, Kaoru, you have to think positive. That's what Eiji told me last night." Although, now that she thought about it, was it really the surest way to defend herself? Maybe, somewhere out there, were specters more powerful than the one she saw yesterday. Ones that would overcome her mind just like the nurse, or even cause physical damage. Surely positive thinking wouldn't be of much help to her if a specter had taken over someone with nuclear codes. "But, what if it's not enough? The nurse yesterday had a gun. If something like that happens again and I can't reach you or anybody, what am I supposed to do then?" She looked to Eiji, hoping he had other alternatives to help protect herself.

"It's true, I may not always be there, but you can't just become magi because you're afraid of facing them. That's exactly the kind of thinking that gets them onto you... I can provide you safety against them, even if they appear when I'm not nearby. Specters can take control of your mind if it's clouded with darkness, and they can't hurt, or even affect you unless you enter their dungeon... or you encounter someone possessed by them. However, it is possible to unknowingly enter a dungeon, even if it is rare... you wouldn't be able to even contact me then...", he rubbed his chin, and made up his mind. "I'll give you a barrier to their powers, for now. It will only work if I renew it every night, however. It saps a great deal of energy from me, but I believe it's worth it. I don't think I'd be capable of protecting more than two of you, or even over a distance larger than this city. It will not give you protection from entering dungeons, or meeting possessed people, it's simply a barrier to their entry of your mind."

He raised his hand, and the ring on his finger glowed purple. Light encapsulated him, and he appeared in his magi costume when it finished. He pulled off his gloves. "Raise your shirts, please. No need to completely expose yourself, however. Just your stomach is fine. What I'm doing is much like what a specter does. I'll leave my sign on you. Their signs are usually on the necks of their victims, and small, but this is not a power I use often, nor am I exceptionally skilled at it. It has to be larger. I will hide a weapon inside as well... if you get into danger, reach inside and pull it out if you must."

Kaoru had to resist the urge to say something snarky towards Yuzuki when she brought up thinking positive. Her eye even visibly twitched when she spoke those words. At least she was quick to turn the conversation towards something other than that cartoon crap. Of course, then Eiji had to go and say the last thing she wanted to hear for the second time in a row. It seemed like all he could tell them was that these creatures could lock onto them just because they were thinking about them and that the only recourse they had was to rely on him. That thought alone made Kaoru uneasy.

But the worst part was when he told them he was going to use up a great deal of his energy to give them some kind of protection. Kaoru didn't know Eiji well at all, but she did not feel comfortable accepting protection from anyone, especially if it was a large burden on them. "Okay, no." She stated. "I've had enough. I'm leaving." She made a beeline for the door, and was going to descend from the roof as quickly as she could short of running.

She doubted they would understand, but she didn't care. Maybe the specters would leap out of the walls and take over her mind there and then, but she had some bloody principles to upkeep. Even if she explained it, she imagined she would come across as insane, foolish or whatever. Maybe even more insane than Midori, given the circumstances. But she wouldn't have a bar of this self-sacrificing stuff on the part of Eiji. She wasn't sure if she was about to try and become a Magi right now, but she sure as hell wouldn't accept his help at his expense. Perhaps for now she would just find somewhere to go calm down....

"Ah, she's gone," said Yuzuki as she watched Kaoru suddenly leave. She left so quickly not even bothering to wave back.

"Do I really have to?" Yuzuki fidgeted, wondering if it was a good idea to accept his proposal. She trusted Eiji, but she wouldn't just lift up her shirt like that, nor did she want to cause the boy any more trouble. But the idea of being caught by specters and defenseless against them was even more terrifying. She started to consider becoming a Magi herself at that moment. She'd be able to fight against them, protect her family and her friends. She wouldn't have to worry about being trapped, or risk getting killed by specters. It seemed like it would be beneficial to her to make a contract like Karou and Eiji.

Yuzuki, however, wasn't that desperate. She couldn't think of anything she would wish for that would make her commit the rest of her life to fighting specters.

With a resigned, yet shaky sigh, she lifted her shirt for just a small portion of stomach to be shown, enough for this mark or spell Eiji would cast.

He sighed, and saw Kaoru leave... if he tried to stop her, it would be pointless. He couldn't force her to accept his help. Her pride and dignity wouldn't allow it... he knew that, but had hoped that she'd listen to him if he explained things. It backfired, and she seemed even more adamant about doing things for herself than ever. He looked to Yuzuki, hoping she wouldn't immediately leave too. "No, you don't really have to... I want to help you, and, I hope you'll accept my help," he replied. She seemed to think it over for a few moments, and he was almost sure she'd decline, but then she pulled up her shirt. For the first time they had seen, he smiled genuinely. "Th-Thank you, Yuzuki." he stretched his arms out, and almost hugged her, but flinched back... "I'm sorry... I don't mean to....", he sighed, and knelt down, then laid his hand on her stomach gently, closing his eyes. He focused, and the magic sign appeared.

Once the spell Eiji put had been finished, she pulled down her shirt. Even with the new protection Eiji provided, she didn't feel any different, nor did she feel any strength or power coursing through her.

"Don't worry about others seeing it... normal humans can't, and if they can... they'll be in some trouble too," he told her, and put his hands in his pockets, looking away. "There are things I want to tell you all that I can't... and it might seem strange to you, but I know you all better than you know me. I keep my distance because I don't want to scare you all... and sometimes, that's not very effective," he looked at the door. "To you, I may be a stranger, Yuzuki, but, please have faith in me. I'm doing everything in my power for your best interests," he stated. He felt like walking away... surely Yuzuki would ask a question he couldn't answer. He would have to check on Karou soon.

Yuzuki watched Eiji curiously. What did he mean by him knowing her more than the other way around? She barely knew Eiji, that much was right. It was only because of yesterday that she was talking to him and actually getting to know him better. Yuzuki was sure if yesterday hadn't happened, they'd barely even acknowledge each other. They never did before, not even with Karou or Kaoru; yesterday's incident they all shared, the specters is what connected them all together. His earlier attempt at what seemed like a hug didn't go unnoticed by her either. He was holding something back, keeping secrets he felt would be better for her not to know. It's as if the more she got to know him, the more mysterious he became.

"Well, I think we've gotten past the point of being scared. I'm constantly worried now." Yuzuki stood up and smoothed her skirt. "You don't need to be a stranger either, you're secrets safe with me. You can tell me whatever it is you mean to say too; it's not fun being alone. Also, don't be hard on Karou, maybe she had good intentions like you did." She lowered her voice into a whisper, giggling like a school girl. "Also, she has a major crush on you."

"It's hard not to be... that's why it's so difficult to avoid them once you know of them, but... I had to make you all aware. Knowing is less dangerous than not, in your cases...," he stated, not elaborating on why. "Yuzuki, I very much wish that what you just said is true... but, it's better for you all if I maintain as much separation from you all as possible, at least, knowing each other personally. It won't end well for any of you, and I don't need you caring about me if something happens...," he sighed. "I am well aware of Karou's feelings for me. I cannot and should never reciprocate...," he sat back on the pea gravel, and looked up to her. "It would be very unhealthy for me... I'm not sure if she really cares, or she just needs something. I don't think she truly harbors any deep feelings for me, and I do not feel that way for her. I won't let her feelings get in the way of her duties. I know her wish, and her intent was selfish. She wished to understand me... that I cannot allow. It would be terribly unsafe for her to read my thoughts. She gave up her life for that.... pitiful... please do not do the same."

Yuzuki crouched down and gently poked Eiji on the forehead. "You're being silly," she said. "You don't have to get in a relationship with Karou, even if you two would look really cute. You just have to work together. She's new at this, so I wouldn't be surprised if she fumbles around with being a Magi. You can help her out, work together defeating specters. It might ease some duties off your shoulders."

Yuzuki sighed. "I would say she's actually in more danger than me or Kaoru. She's going to fight specters like you and she barely knows the ins and outs of how being a Magi works. I don't exactly know the ins and outs either, but I'm not a Magi so I'm excused. Something might happen to her and we would never know until it was too late. I guess what I'm trying to say is still try to protect her like you are trying to protect me and Kaoru. By the way, Karou is not the only one who wants to understand you. I won't be like her and make a wish for that, but I am trying my best."

"She doesn't want to fight specters. She'll avoid them, most likely... I'm not sure, but I'm keeping my eyes out on her anyway. I plan on helping her, I had just been mad with her at the time. I shouldn't have been. I should have expected this sort of thing. I might treat her more kindly, but I have no intentions of reciprocating her feelings... that would just get in her way. I dunno what I'm going to do about Kaoru either. She doesn't want to accept my help, and I can't force things upon her," he shrugged, and made a weird face when he was poked. "Ah, thanks, Yuzuki... I appreciate that. Just don't look too deeply." he rose and she did too. "I have to go check on Kaoru. I think you should be fine... class will resume soon."

Yuzuki nodded. "I'll see you later in class, Eiji." She made her way back from the rooftop, sneaking past any patrolling staff members and students. She made it to class on time just as all the other students had returned from lunch.

Last edited:
Eiji sought out Karou. He felt for the telepathic link he could share with her, and realized that he couldn't feel it... either she had gone pretty far from the school, or her powers had weakened considerably, to the point where he couldn't feel her presence so strongly anymore. He knew she probably wouldn't go so far from the city so fast, but why she would be so weak all of a sudden was puzzling... He devoted his time now to seeking her out, and eventually caught a faint trace of her power. She seemed to be fading out into unconsciousness...

He soon found her body, slumped against a wall in an alley. She had succumbed to her tiredness, and laid down right there. Her clothes were soaked and stained, and she had a bit of mud and dirt on her, and her eyes were shut. She had laid in a puddle, and she clutched her gem. He gently took it from her hands, and looked at it. The power inside was very low... it was like looking into a dying candle.

"Dammit, Karou..."

He picked up her body, and left with it. His home was closest. It was not but a few blocks away, so he quickly took her there. He had some Grief Shards he could use to restore the power in her gem, so, he took her there, and did so. She remained unconscious, even after he had filled her gem. He had no clothes to give her... He hurried off and got a warm, thick blanket, and put it around her after taking her clothes to the washer. What would she think when she woke? Maybe he'd get lucky, and the clothes would be clean, and on her, and he could return her to her home before she woke.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ayla
Kaoru had returned to class a while ago. When she did, she noticed a lack of Midori in the classroom. "Hey, Keisuke, where's Midori?" She was a lot of things, but tardy was strangely not one of them. "No idea. She left shortly after you did, for some weird reason. Then I saw her again just a while ago, with this crazy look in her eyes. Still, no idea where she went."

"Huh. Oh well, she's probably fine..." To Kaoru, Midori had a crazy look in her eyes half the times she ever saw her. This was probably nothing new. Later, Yuzuki appeared in the classroom. Kaoru wondered if she had accepted Eiji's protection. If she had, she wondered if they would start seeing the consequences of that later. If Eiji hadn't been lying for some bizarre reason when he told them this barrier would sap a great deal of energy from him, then she expected that this would have an impact on his ability to fight. Maybe it would even be such a burden that he wouldn't be able to save the next batch of people that were under threat.

She wondered if that possibility had even passed through Yuzuki's mind? Or maybe she wasn't the type to care, as long as she was safe. The very thought of someone like that made her angry. Though she didn't know whether Yuzuki had taken the offer, nor did she know for what reasons, she couldn't take her mind of the possibility....

She was probably just going to get through this day as quickly as possible. A part of her wished she could wake up tomorrow having forgot all about these blasted specters...

Class ended and Eiji nor Karou had not returned. Yuzuki worried they might have started to fight each other. Looking out the window of her classroom, she couldn't see any signs of two Magi battling each other. Maybe they were in a Specter's dungeon. That only made Yuzuki worry even more. Her first thought was to go look for them and make sure nothing bad happened to them, but if they really were in a dungeon then she wasn't keen on getting into one again. Even with the new protection Eiji gave her and even if there were two Magi in there, they might not even be able to make it out this time.

She could only hope for the best and that tomorrow she would see them.

She replied to texts from her friends as she walked down the hall towards the exit. A lot of them kept asking about what happened yesterday and if she was feeling okay. Yuzuki left her replies with no details about Magi or specters and quickly asked to change the topic with the simple response: {I don't want to talk about it.} They moved on to another topic: Midori, her classmate and Kaoru's friend. A lot of what they talked about was Midori's strange behavior, stranger than usual. Skipping school in the middle of class, a crazed look in her eyes. Yuzuki didn't know Midori well enough, so wasn't too interested about the girl's behavior. It wasn't really her concern anyways, more of Kaoru's problem, if there was even a problem.

Last edited:
Karou stirred and groaned, her head pounding. She hardly remembered what happened, but when her eyes opened, she was in a place totally unrecognizable. She jerked upward, blushing as the thick wool blanket fell off, revealing her naked body.

Karou screamed and pulled the blanket back up, her cheeks completely red. Who the hell kind of pervert would kidnap her and strip her naked?

"Whoa, Karou, c-calm down! Please put the blanket back on...", he shielded his eyes from her form, and picked up the blanket, then put it around her shoulders. "I took you to my home, because you were unconscious and dirty... your clothes are getting clean right now. I filled your gem back up because you had almost emptied it.", he said, his tone a lot more gentle than it had been before. "I need to explain more to you, if you'd listen to me..."

"E-Eiji! You pervert!"
Karou screamed again, picking up a pillow and chucking it at him, pulling the blanket around her shoulders. She turned her back to him, shutting her eyes with embarassment.
"Get my clothes or I swear I'll kill you!"

"I am not. I just told you your clothes were filthy and soaked. You were laying in an alley when I found you... I was... worried...", he replied, his last word coming out a bit more quietly. "I can't retrieve your clothes for now. They are in the washer. I'll dry them and hand them back to you. I promise I did nothing to you in your sleep except restore your gem. If you would like, you can use my shower to clean up. I have clean towels ready.", he stated.

"Like Hell im going to use your shower! I just want an explination as to why im here. I was fine, Eiji..! J-Just tired, was all.."
Even Karou was not fully convinced of that. She had become extremely tired to the point where her body wouldnt tolerate another step. She had no idea what had happened, and she had an itching feeling that Eiji knew exactly what had happened to her.

"Dammit Karou!", he raised his voice. The gentle tone he had before faded. "You were going to die. The flame of your life was going out. Maybe you don't know that, but you were on the verge of death because you used too much of the gem's power. For now, I'd like to request that you stay with me. I'll make sure you don't over use the gem... I have a supply of grief shards to restore your gem with as well."

Karou paled before blushing completely at the thought of staying with Eiji. She bit her lip, looking over her shoulder at him.
"W-What..? Stay with you..?"
She curled the blanket tighter around her, curling and uncurling her toes. She had no idea what to do. Eiji was persistant, there was no way she could talk him out of this.

"You live alone, don't you? Would it not please you to have some company? This... isn't anything personal, I just want to oversee your development as a magi, and ensure your safety, Karou.", he told her. She seemed unsure, but her blush, and reaction implied she was having a hard time not just saying yes. Of course, she could still refuse him...

"N-No, Eiji. I-I can take care of myself, I just had a slip-up, thats all. Wont happen again.."
She wasnt exactly sure, but she would try to prove him wrong. It hardly helped that she had never even fought a Spector before, and didnt even know where the grief shards came from. She sighed and sat back on the couch, pulling the blanket closer to her.

"That's a lie. Without supervision, you'll die when you really fight a specter. Stop trying to push me away and be smart about this, Karou. I don't want you to die.", he admitted, and sighed. "Whatever. All you seem to do is ignore me. If you really wanted to understand, you'd listen. This is just proof that everything you feel is superficial.", he left the room, going to check on the washer's status.

Karou's eyes burned with tears, and the warm droplets fell down her cheek. She regretted her wish more than anything. She didnt want this. It wasnt worth it. The loud noise in her head constantly, Eiji looking over her shoulder like a hawk, it was too much and she didnt want it. However, she knew without asking that there was no going back from here.

Karou leaned back against the couch, crossing her arms over her chest. She tried to be a tough girl, but it didnt work. She'd have to stay with Eiji if she wanted to live past her 20th birthday.

He waited for the washer to finish, and put the clothes into the dryer. They would likely take much less time to dry... there were really only a few articles. He left the wash room, and returned to her. "Karou, a specter's life is hard, and lonely. At least if you stay here, it won't be as much so for you. You might think you're tough, but I know you aren't capable of taking it. You'll end up dead. I wish to save you."

"Fine, okay? I'll stay. Just dont make it weird, Eiji."
She couldnt help but giggle at the the thought. Eiji was probably the most awkward guy to be around. He was distant and weird, but thats what she liked most about him. Karou doubted she would get no father than arms length with him, but the thought of getting closer to his heart made her want to stay and try.
She looked at the ground sighing and played with the blanket.
"I-I'm good with the couch."

Eiji tilted his head. "I didn't think I was making anything weird....", he shrugged. She seemed happy enough, though, and that's what counted. At least he had swayed her to agree with him. She'd be safe for now because he could keep an eye on her. "er... we'll worry about bed arrangements later. Just, please take a shower Karou. I won't do anything weird, and I'll try to have some clothes prepared for you when you get out, okay?"

Kaoru sighed and decided it was easier than arguing with him. She got up, hugged the blanket around herself when she passed Eiji, and found the bathroom. There were already fluffy white towels laid out, and they smelled faintly of citrus.

Turning on the shower, she stepped into the hot stream and groaned with relief. It felt so nice, the hot water running down her body and cleansing the filfth of the previous days. If she thought hard enough, she could believe the water was washing away the past, erasing her time as a Magi. She didnt want it anymore, but she was stuck with it, and would need to rely solely on Eiji to get through it.

He went back to the washroom, and waited for the dryer to finish up. Luckily, the clothes were dry and ready for her by the time she got out of the shower. He took them into the bathroom quietly, and left them on the counter, keeping his gaze away from the shower itself. Today was probably a rough day for her... they still had to make living arrangements for her at his house. He'd discuss it with her when she was clean and dry.

Karou stepped out of the shower and steam, and dried herself using the sweet-smelling towels. She tied it around her hair to dry and put on the clothes that were stretegically placed on the counter. Sighing, now refreshed and clean, she walked out of the bathroom.
Upon finding him, she blushed and turned her head, ripping the towel off of her head. She must look like a disaster.
"Dont look at me."

"Ah?", he had turned his head in the direction of the sound of the opening door, but the moment she told him not to look, his face reddened, his eyes widened, and he looked away. Did she come out of the bathroom naked? Why would she do that? Maybe he forgot an item of clothes or something... He called out to her, not looking in her direction. "Are you clothed?"

"Y-Yes im clothed! Like i'd walk out in front of you naked."
Karou scolded, crossing her arms over her chest. However, she couldnt help the small smile, and the blush that followed. Seeing Eiji get flustered was something new aside from the always passive face he wore around everybody.

"I thought maybe I forgot something and you were going to go get it... I'm relieved that isn't the case.", he replied, and turned to her. "This apartment has one extra room, but, I've filled it with things I cannot permit you to see. I can't move them elsewhere, so you have two options. The couch, or my room.", he told her. "I suppose I can get an extra bed in there if you wished."

"If you dont want me to see your porn collection, you should have said so in the first place."
Karou leaned against the wall, looking at the ground. She had never been in this type of situation before, and therefore had not the slighest clue on what to do.
"I'll be good with the couch."

"GHH! H-Hey now! That's not it! I hardly have the time for that kind of thing! I'm too busy worrying about you all, and that room has something to do with it!", he stomped his foot, his face heating up, and his fist at his hip. "...!", he stopped, and straightened up his shirt, regaining his composure. "That's fine by me as well..."

Karou burst out laughing, hold her sides as her shoulders shook with laughter. She snorted a few times, stopping immediately to cover her mouth with her hands, her face red with sudden embarassment. Did she really just snort in front of Eiji?
Karou turned her face torward him.
"If you keep worrying about everybody else, its going to be the death of you, Eiji."

"Ahh...? D-don't worry about me....", he turned away slightly. "I'll worry about my own life until I don't need to anymore. If it ends up being me, or any of you, and I know it will secure your future, I'd gladly let myself pass on. I've lived too long as a Magi as it is.", he said seriously.

Karou couldnt keep the anger from spilling over. She stalked over to him and punched his shoulder as hard as she could. It probably hurt her hand more than it hurt him, and she had to hold back a cry of pain. Her hand throbbed, but her eyes stayed cold and hard.
"You're an idiot, Eiji. You think you save those girls, but you cant. You can warn them all you like, but when it comes down to it, people will do anyting to make a wish come true."

"Maybe I'm an idiot, but I made my choice long ago, and I've been living by it. There's nothing you can say that's going to change my mind. I'll make sure you all live. I will never back down from that.", he told her, not even wincing when she punched him. "I know people do anything to make their wish come true, and I'm one of them. ", he folded his arms.

"Tell me what you wished for."
Karou challenged, glaring at him.
"I can't trust you if you cant even answer me that. You're supposed to help me, arent you?"

"It doesn't matter what I wished...", he sighed. "But if you must know, there's no sense in hiding it from you. But you must promise me two things before I tell you. Promise me you will listen to me, and promise me you won't actively seek a relationship with me like you have before. Let the cards fall where they will, and stop forcing it. If you can do both, I will let you know my wish."

Karou took all of her strength and willed herself not to cry. He had known all along about her feelings torward him, and that made her feel ashamed. She thought she had been secretive about it, but if he knew, how many other people did?
Karou turned her back on him, and picked up her gem that was set on the counter. It glowed softly, and a pain ached in her chest.
"Nevermind. I didnt really want to know anyways. I need to get going, I'll be back later."
Karou turned and left the building before he even had a chance to say anything. She let the tears fall. In a feat of anger, she transformed, and bounced up her numerous barriers to reach the top of a 5 story building, screaming at the top of her lungs in frustration.

She had left before he could say another word... he didn't have the time to chase her down and ease her tantrum. She really acted like a child sometimes... He had to at least check on Kyo today... maybe she wasn't even in the running this time? Whatever the case, her safety was important too. She was a bit more difficult to deal with due to being an underclassmen, however, and he shared nothing but lunch with her. He had to visit her home... and so he did.

"Hey, Yuzuki, wait up." Kaoru called out as she approached Yuzuki in the hallway. "Are you headed home? If you're going in the same direction as I am, maybe we can go together? Can't be too careful nowadays, right?" Seeing as they had just been involved in what was probably the most life threatening situation of their entire lives yesterday, at least as far as Kaoru was concerned, they had every reason to be cautious about even the most mundane of circumstances. Kaoru didn't accept Eiji's spell of protection, but she wasn't averse to the idea of travelling in a group. After all, she could probably handle herself against the average attacker, so she didn't think she would be a burden. Of course, if they were attacked by something more magical, Kaoru might not be good for much, but as far as Eiji had told them, it was highly unlikely they would stumble into a specter's dungeon. "Only if you don't mind, of course."

"Not at all," she said, waiting for the older girl to catch up. Kaoru did have a point: even with the protection Eiji had provided for her, having someone else around in case of trouble was a good idea. She held open the door for Kaoru as they left the school "My house is a train ride that way--" she pointed in the direction of her house "-- do you take the train too?"

"Sure do." She replied. She usually used the train ride as her opportunity to go look up current events and other things. Of course, she would probably need to refrain from doing that this time, seeing as she would be travelling with company. "So, tell me..." She began, as she walked alongside Yuzuki out of the school. "What do you make of Eiji?" She left the question ambiguous so as to get an honest reaction. Kaoru was thinking of how, though she had no ill will towards Eiji, there was a lot about him that was rather strange and suspicious. She wondered if Yuzuki was concerned about it too. But she would leave it to Yuzuki to interpret her question the way she wanted to.

"Eiji?" she hadn't expected a question like this, least of all from Kaoru. She pondered over the question for a moment as they walked. "He's really not a bad guy, once he opens up to you. And it's also kind of cool he's a Magi. You should have seen him fight, it was nothing like I had ever seen! He is still keeping secrets, but I understand he has his reasons for doing so."

They stopped at a crosswalk, and waited for cars to pass before continuing towards the train station.

"I will admit his refusal to say what he knows is frustrating. He keeps saying I do not need to know things or it's not important. I guess it really is not important for someone like me, but I often feel like I might be safer if I know what's really going on." They arrived at the train station and Yuzuki scanned her card and walked through the station barriers. "Why do you ask?"

"Aren't you also kind of curious about him? I mean, you would have to be as nuts as Midori to think he was entirely suspicious, but as you said, there's something he's not telling us." Kaoru scanned her own card and followed Yuzuki into the station. "I agree; he's not a bad guy, or at least I don't think he is. But you know how he mentioned that other person out of the blue in his text? That "Kyo" person? Whatever he's not telling us, I have a feeling it's something big. That's why I thought I would ask and see what you thought."

Eventually, their train arrived, and Kaoru moved to get on board. "He's kind of a weird mix of honest and secretive, don't you think? That's what makes me wonder all the more."

"I agree," Yuzuki nodded, following after Kaoru and grabbing on to a pole for balance as the train began to move.

"I've been wondering who Kyo was too. There wasn't any other person at yesterday's incident either. So how could they have anything to do with this." It was almost as if even if one didn't have any sort of encounter with Specters, they were still in trouble. The train stopped and she moved as a few people exited and entered the train. "Speaking of Midori, I didn't see her in class today. Is she okay? She and your friend Keisuke were there too." It occured to Yuzuki Eiji hadn't talked to Kaoru's friends about what happened. It could have been because when Eiji had saved everyone from their fall, Keisuke and Midori had fainted in shock and had not seen Eiji in his Magi form, therefore unaware of anything. Were they not in any danger then, like her, Kaoru and Karou?

Kaoru hadn't expected Yuzuki to enquire after Midori. "I don't have a clue where she got to, but I'm pretty sure she's okay. She's always been nuts, but she's also never been in a position to do anything dangerous. Chances are she'll run around a little and give up in a day or two." Having said that, Kaoru was still in two minds about it. She was used to Midori being a big dope, but if she was off obsessing over Eiji, then it was a world of very real danger she was about to involve herself in. "They were there with us, but if Midori or Keisuke had actually seen what Eiji had pulled off, Midori for one would've been making noise about it all over the school. I'm hoping her ignorance will keep her from getting any deeper into all this nonsense." She shuddered as she imagined just what kind of trouble Midori would get up to if she became a Magi.

The train eventually arrived at Kaoru's destination. "This is my stop. You getting off here, or will you be staying on the train?"

Yuzuki glanced at the red digital sign above and shook her head. "One more stop for me." She waved at Kaoru as she stepped off the train. "Bye! I'll see you tomorrow!"

Kaoru waved back as she left. "See ya!" She called back, and then went off on her way back home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.