It's a Dog Eat Dog World: Act 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It's a Dog Eat Dog World

"We do have need of an electrician," Diana stated, turning towards Xavier and Martin for their approval. "The soup kitchen has been a fire hazard for months now. Your assistance there will be well rewarded." She set her attention towards Josie, "And you, young lady, do you have any skills or items to trade for our rations?"

She cleared her throat, "Um, yes... Besides fighting, I'm an organizer, and a hard worker. If you need help in the soup kitchen, I'll be happy to assist." Anything to avoid everything else, she thought.

"Well, we have plenty of fighters, and tons of assistance working the shops." Martin leaned back against his chair, drawing his fingers up into a steeple as he assessed Josie up and down.

She looked away slightly, causing Diana to speak up. "There's always a need." She shot the other leaders a hard glance before continuing. "If not, then do you have any items to trade?"

"Yes," Josie responded eagerly, "I have several first aid field kits, a few weapons, food items, clothing, tools and a few car batteries..."

"Which we are well stocked in all," Martin cut. "We may have to resort in other options for you."

Josie shot Matt a scared glance. She was out of options here... "I'll work anywhere, for two days, if need be..."

Xavier agreed with Diana that the male's skills would be greatful tword them. His attention turned back tword the femlae, he knew exactly what he wanted. When Diana stated that she'd be useful in the soup kitchen he taped his fingers on his chair knowing that he wouldn't get what he wanted. He knew that Martin had the same idea on what they wanted to do to the female but he didn't like to share so he agreed with Diana. " Yes you would be great in the soup kitchen".

Josie released the tentative breath she was holding on to, "Thank you. We'll get to work."

Diana smiled at the young couple and pulled a small pen and pad from her robe pocket. "Here, take this letter to the soup kitchen manager. He will show you were the electrical problems are located, and get you started on any small duties required. You can eat there, if you like. The soup kitchen offers free meals."

Josie stepped forward to meet the lady half way, taking the note with a grateful nod. She knew what the woman did for her, and that won her a spot in Josie's heart. "We won't let you down."

"Let's get out of here," Josie whispered as she handed Matt the note and hunted for her keys. She quickly headed towards the exit, slamming her body against the double doors hard enough to scare the sleeping doorman awake. She sat on her bike and turned it on. "That was close," she added, shaking her head. "Sorry bastards are worst than Dogs. They should be shamed..."

( My bad i was going to post Matt's part in the post but my computer acting stupid and wont let me)

Matthew watched as Josie went to retrive the letter and then his eyes stayed glued on the men. It was sick to think they'd bargin gas for sex and it made him sick. Josie was and attractive woman even though a few rough days dirtied up you could still tell. When she retrived the letter and they left the church he climbed back in the side car and looked at her. " They should be and those men..fuck them i wouldnt let them touch you no matter what". His voice was pissed and he ment every word he said.

((Well, you want to end here for the night, or what?))

( Lol no i fixed it looked at the post again)

Josie was shock to hear Matt express so boldly about protecting her womanhood. It was odd, since he was still a stranger to her - somewhat - and shouldn't really have any feelings towards her whatsoever, except the fact that they were...conrads in the same fight. They didn't even know each other long enough to really consider the other a friend... But, she guessed, saving someone's life a few times can count as friendship; or at least, trustworthiness. That was a start.

But now, she was curious exactly where this emotion was coming from. The look on his face as he steamed was honest - he was very upset, more so than she was. Without saying anything, she just started to drive...lost in her thoughts.

She parked the bike behind in between the soup kitchen and the clothing shop, hiding it in the alleyway behind a few empty crates. She would ask the manager later about a safer place to park their things. When they entered, the smell of roasting chicken, dumplings, greens and hamburgers, hot dogs and fresh bread forced itself to attack their hunger full force. Josie was - to say the least - starving, and all she had to look forward to eating was a salted snake meat.

"HEY, what is 'ya doin' back 'ere?" A huge, burly man in a grungy white apron stepped towards them when Josie opened the door. He was tall, crazy tall, so tall he had to duck to avoid hitting the archway of the hallway leading into the kitchen area.

"We were sent here by the church to work." She handed the man the letter and waited.

He grunted a few times, coughed and blew his nose in his hand and whipped it on his shirt. "Yea, yea...'ere ya go... This way." He motioned for them to follow him.

"Names Dibbs. Your's?"

"I'm Josie, and this is Matt."

"Whatcha gotten yourselves into, eh?"

"Just needing gas."

"Um, makes sense. You'll not from Haven, I see." They entered the washing area and Dibbs pointed towards a large conveyor belt sink where another woman was working. "There ya go, love. You'll be working with Carol. And you, Matt, is it? You're over here." He pointed to another large conveyor belt sink, patting the large engine attached to it. "The engine works, but the outlet is fried. Fix it, then I'll show you to the next problem."

As they drove he couldn't seem to get those men out of his head. The looks on their faces reminded him so much of his bad past..his mother.... He shook his head not wanting to think about her nor the things that she did. Closing his eyes he only opened them when they reached their destination. He climed out and then followed Josie. When the man opened the door and looked at them Matt was shocked. The guy must havhe been around 6'8. When he showed him the problem that needed to be fixed he lookced at the wires and then began to word on it.

Carol smiled sweetly at Josie as she stepped forward. She introduced herself and gained both new names. "Have you used one of these machines before?" she asked.

"No, but I have seen one, in movies and such about fancy restaurants and the mob."

Carol laughed, catching Josie by surprise. She had a voice like her mother, welcoming and heart-felt. It was unreal to her and hooked her right in the corner of her heart. After Carol showed her how to work the machine, they were both standing on each side of the conveyor, chatting and laughing like they were old friends. It's been a long time since Josie actually laughed. She remembered how Terrance could get the group rolling, and how Melissa had a mental encyclopedia of Yo' Mama jokes. It almost brought her to tears.

"Lost someone?"

Josie's head jerked up at Carol's observation, finding her tilting her head in that endearing way that mothers seem to do. Josie nodded lightly, "Friends...but, not all of them - kinda." She glanced a little towards Matt as he steadily worked.

Carol dried her hands, walked around the machine and stood before Josie. She took her hands and stared her right in the eyes. "Do you two have a place to stay, to wash up?"

Her touch was so caring, just that little squeeze of her hands told Josie that this woman knew exactly what she had gone through, what her and Matt had gone through, and that they needed a break. All she could do was shake her head no.

"You two are coming home with me. I have a large family, so there's not a lot of space in my home, but we have a clean barn and my husband just purchased some more hay. You are welcome."

After than, Josie stayed by Carol's side all day, talking and learning more things about Haven and a few other territories that Carol knew of. When the day was over and food was prepared for the workers, Josie carried her tray around the small eating area, searched for Matt to tell him the good news.

Matthew continued on the outlet making sure that everything was wired up right and it was runnning. When he finished the outlet he looked on the engine and it needed to be touched up. He grabbed the rag and began to clean in an adjusting the wires so that it was fully running the way it was suppose to. His head started to trob the more he worked on it. When he was done he told the man who was suprised on how well he did and showed him what he needed to do for tommarow. He found Josie soon after and told her he finished.

"Great, so have I, and I'd found us a place to stay." She'd already finished her meal, so she lead Matt to where Carol told her to meet her.

The woman was waiting for them in the back near their bike. Josie introduced the woman to Matt and soon they were following her beat up Ford truck to a large chuck of land a little ways passed the gateway. The woman was right about one thing, her house was huge. But there were little to no activity inside, just a few children and a babysitter.

Carol showed her where to shower and dress, which just amazed Josie. This woman still had a working shower. Carol explained that her husband kept the plumbing hooked up to a well that was fed by the natural springs from Mount Rieves. So they always had water.

"Get washed up and changed, and I'll show you to the barn. I know you two must be exhausted."

Josie went outside to grab her bag.

He nodded and then smiled at the woman Josie introduced him to. He once again climbed in the side car and watched as they drove he saw a big house. It wasn't huge but it deffinitally wasn't small either. Grabing his bags from the side car he walked inside and looked around as the lady showed them where to shower and change. His body was yearing for a wash and a new set on clothes.

Once in the shower he spent some time washing his body making sure all the dirt was gone. Once he was clean he opened the bag that Josie had gave him to find some small items and thentwo outfits. He changed int some clean underwear and then pulled on the loose faded jeans and a long sleved rugby shirt. He took the belt off his old jeans and put it on his new one. Once he einished with the bathroom he looked for Josie

Josie waited for Matt to finish his shower by allowing Carol to show her the barn. It gave her a chance to move the bike out of sight. She was so ready to be rid of the grime she's accumulated for two whole months. It was hard to find free water just to wash off with, when everyone fought for free water to drink.

Carol showed her how to use the old wood burning stove that they used to keep the barn warm at nights. It was simple enough, and after gathering a bit of wood, Josie had it stoked up. She ended up with soot all over her hands, and a bit smeared on her cheek, but that didn't bother her now. She was about to take a shower!!

She did what she needed to do for the bike, washed her hands and then tossed her bag and sleeping gear on top of a large pile of hay. Rolling in the hay - that's one thing she can scratch off her bucket list. She grabbed her clean clothes and the few extras she had before walked back to the house to see if Matt was done.

When he walked outside, all clean and spotless, she gasped lightly, unaware that her jaw had dropped and her eyes had grown two more inches. Matt cleaned up extremely well... All the dried blood and grime kept him completely hidden from her all this time. She was shocked, to say the least, but quickly recovered and continued up the steps of the porch.

"My turn," she smiled, almost too giddy. She cleared her throat and pointed towards the barn. "The bike is inside..."

When Matthew headed outside he felt so refreshed. His body felt great and he was glad he could get the dirt and blood off his body. When Josie pointed out that the bike was in the barn he nodded and made his way there. Josie had her side made up. He took his sleeping bag from the side car and then placed it ontop of the hay. Then he hid his other bag ina pile of hay, His stomach growled uncontrolablly and he relized he didn't eat since he was busy with work. It has been two days and now he was feeling the side effects. His body slid downward and he was on his hands and knees. He knew he had overworked himself and without food or water for two days was taking a massive toll on his body.

Josie took her own sweet time washing. She was enjoying the cool spring water and how it renewed her physically and mentally. It was a rush. When she was done, she threw on some clean underwear, a navy blue long sleeve pull over that snugged her comfortably, and a pair of old denims that Melissa gave her. She'd taken her only pair of socks and the rest of her dirty clothes to where Carol said to wash them. She would had started, but was really too tired to care about washing anything.

So, after drying her hair, letting it fall down her shoulders for the first time in two months, she slipped on a pair of old flip flops and headed back outside.

"You're heading to bed, dear?" Carol was on the porch knitting.

"Yes, after that shower, I'm really starting to get sleepy."

"Well, rest well. You've got a lot to do tomorrow."

She said her goodbye as the woman returned inside. Josie entered the barn and closed the door. "I've never felt so alive!" she giggled as she crossed the dirt floor, tossed her bag in the cart on the bike, and dropped flat on her back in the hay. She started to laugh, the feeling of cleanliness rushing her brain.

((Hey, I've got to head to bed. I'll be on tomorrow, K. Laters! :) ))

( Hey my computer is acting up and won't let me load the page for iwaku so I'm on my Phone. I might edit this post later if my computer is working again)

Matthew stood up slowly and walked back tword the house. When the woman asked what was wrong he told her he haden't ate and she greatfully offered some food and water. After he ate he thanked her for the the food and being kind enough to let them stay.

He walked back to the barn and opened the door he felt so much better and the food was wonderful. Once he climed in his sleeping bag and got comfortable he looked over at Joise who was stunning to say the least. " Hey..that lady seems pretty nice and im glad we finally got a shower".

"Yea," she smiled, "That's a rarity, ya know, finding kind strangers...and a working shower, all in one place. We got lucky."

She turned her head towards Matt, tucking her arms under it as a pillow. This was the first 'down time' they've had since they met. Even though she was still a bit sour about losing her friends, Josie had become more trusting in Matt thus far. He wasn't a waste so far, so her friends' didn't die in vain, right? She decided that this was a great time to learn more about this guy.

"So, what did you do to get in that predicament I found you in yesterday? Whoever left you to die like that sure wasn't a friend."

Josie turned away quickly, deciding to stare up at the barn rafters rather than into Matt's dark piercing eyes. She didn't notice that before - the dirt camouflaged a lot of things.

Matthew laid on his back and looked up at the barn, it was a nice sized barn and he knew he was greatful for everything. If Josie and her friends handen't found him he knew he'd be dead somewhere. He looked over at Josie when she mentioned the guy that had attacked him. " I... i dont know we didn't see eye to eye, he joing those territory gropus so i decided to take another route when he attacked me.

The thought still pissed him off and he wanted to kill the guy but leaving him with a cuncousion was enough for him. " I really didn't do much to get in the perdicament except that i didn't want to join their little group, i had my own things that i planned to do and i told them they'd only hold me down. Matt glanceed over at Josie breifly before looking away.

"I understand that. Everyone seems to have some god-complex going on in their heads." Josie shook her head. "All of a sudden, when the government crashed, they all declared themselves 'the new president of the US of A', or at least, the small portion of it that they can manipulate."

She sat up, tucking her knees under her chin and wrapping her arms around them. "Those self-proclaimed leaders of the new world, the Dogs that they are, will do anything to force others to follow them."

She had first-hand accounts of their methods...knew how their tortures effected the mind and body. How they would use the innocent in such horrific ways to sway someone into giving up. And what happened when their methods didn't work the first time. Those old thoughts, those sickening touches, struck her hard, caused her to shutter slightly against them. It's only been eight months, but she remembered what they did to her, and how her father resisted as she begged for him to not listen to their threats against her life.

"My father...he was in the same boat as you were, but he didn't survive. I barely did..." Josie glanced over her shoulder at Matt. "I guess...that's why I stopped to help you."

" Yeah because if they get people on their side they know that they can survive for a long time and minipulate others to do their cruel bidding". When she mentioned her father he sat up and looked at her " Oh im so sorry about that". Matthew knew it must have been hard for her to cope with the loss of her father, he knew what it was like to loose a family member..although he wasn't sad when his mother died he was relived.

" I very much appriciate you saving me, i was planning on heading out..thinking about my next move and how to find my little brother..". His words choked up as if it was hard just mentioning the situation. He opened his bag and retrived the wallet pulling out a picture of him and tossing it over to Josie. " Im still searching for him.. thats what i was doing before i got attacked".

Status
Not open for further replies.