It Only Takes One Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristie let loose some noise that was a cross between a sigh and a chuckle. She must be getting sloppy, this kid was just seeing through everything she said. Though technically he was wrong about her role, as in the assumption that it was assigned. She could only hope she could offload him somewhere before he found out her 'key role' was a high profile thief with a bit of a complex. "You sure have some fanciful ideas about my importance. But fine, let us get out of here and then we'll figure out just what we are going to do with you from there." She grabbed his hand and started pulling him towards the outskirts of the camp in the direction she had come from.

When they were about a 50 meters away from the edge of the camp Kristie pulled out a control pad and entered in a code before lifting it to her lips. "Activate." Immediately there were several loud explosions from the area they left, a fireball lighting up the sky. Immediately, the camp was in chaos. Soldiers were jumping out of bed shouting and running around for water and otherwise just freaking out. She used the chaos to lead Casey out into the night and their mutual freedom.

Casey tilted his head a bit. What does she mean? he thought. Casey didn't understand why A.) she was laughing and B.) She talked about herself in that manner. Shrugging, he was pulled away by her. Being dragged by a a person wasn't that fun. Casey's legs kept on crossing one another and fumbled over his feet a lot. Now he knew why his sister hated it when he did that to them. HE frowned when the cat girl when she took out some thingy he didn't recognize. Slightly fascinated by the device he didn't notice what she did until he heard the explosion.

Staring in horror behind him, he saw the people running trying to figure out what was going on. In the end of the day, they had lives, families, the world but he chose this so he had to face it. No matter what. ON the bright side though, people would at least think of him as dead. And by that his family would be sad, but safe.

Kristie glanced back at her stunned companion and sighed softly, she had a feeling he wouldn't take that very well. Honestly though he was taking it better than she had feared. "Yes yes come on!" She pulled on his wrist again and started dragging him through the last bit of camp. She shortly decided he was still far too slow and there were too many semi-responsible guards at the edge of the camp to deal with it. Using some of her real strength she turned and jerked Casey into her arms, bridal style, and took off at super speed. She counted on surprise and fear to keep Casey quiet while flashing by the nearest guard at sufficiently high speed he thought they were but a shadow.

She slowed down once they were out of eyesight but kept holding him for the moment. She wanted to get them well away before the army broke up and started looking for the perpetrator of the explosion.

As Casey stared at the exploding camp he didn't notice that cat girl had picked him up. When he felt the ground gone and saw things blur all around him he screamed, "The fuck???" Casey wasn't sure what was going on. All he gathered from why's was happening around him was that cat girl blew up the camp, she had picked him up and ran at super speed and they were still running.

When she stopped, she didn't put him down. Frowning he said, "Can you, uh, put me down?" He could run for him self, even if it wasn't fast as her. And his ego was slowly shrinking at every passing second.

Kristie glanced behind them a little worriedly but for the moment it seemed they were in the clear so she finally put Casey down so he could walk for himself. She had to resist the more mischievous impulse to simply drop him. "Well, we should probably be good to walk from here unless they calm down the horses very quickly." She ignored his obvious embarrassment and started walking in a northerly direction. "My camp should be just around here…" She muttered, poking around several copses of trees before finally finding the remains of a fire and most of her gear. "Aha!" She started rummaging through her bag and pulled out a lighter. "Hmmm I am kinda running low on wood though, could you get some?" She felt she was doing a great job of pretending that she totally did stuff like this every day.

As she put Casey down he almost let out a sigh. As they walked due north, he hagan to ponder on what will happen to him now. It was no going back now. He basically told the army to say he was killed one the explosion tell his family he is dead. Casey can't see them until the war was over, if he didn't his family and him would be dead.

When they reached to the camp she sat down. As he vaguely listen to what the girl was saying he nodded. Getting up he went into the woods to gather wood. A big later he came back with a arm full of them and dumped it onto the ground.

Kristie beamed at the nice pile he brought and immediately started packing it into the fire pit. "I originally just brought a Bunsen burner to cook my stuff but as I'm sure you found out it gets terribly cold at night around here." She dumped some sort of liquid all over the wood, making a nice whoosh when it lighted. She sighed contently and leaned into the fire. "Much better." She pulled her bag over and fished out a couple granola bars to toss to Casey. "I'm kinda running low…perhaps I should have grabbed some of your food before we left." She sighed and laid down along the ground, looking over at him. "It's going to be a hard 3 days trek back to the capital. It's going to be even harder to get you in to see the general. Have you thought about just taking up a profession in the city instead?"

As Casey flopped himself onto the hard ground he nodded at her. "I guess. I don't care how long it would take...but I didn't realize how close the kingdoms are..." Shrugging he thought over whether he wanted to either wait out the war or try to do something about it. The war in the end could win or lose foe the at girl side."I think I would rather talk to the general. I actually want to do something," he stated as he stared out into the vast forest. Casey didn't think much of it before...but he knew he wanted to help. And that's as his final decision.

Kristie couldn't help but grimace a bit at his answer. It looked like she was going to have to think of something terribly clever then. She somehow had to get this kid in to talk to the general without revealing herself to the general or having the kid rat her out. Just what the heck had she gotten herself into?! "This kingdom extends far to the north but the best land is in the south so of course the capital is relatively close to the borders." She explained absently. "You should sleep. I will keep watch in case the army starts to mobilize."

Casey notice the girl grimaced. Something didn't feel right about her or this situation but decided not to say anything. Nodding at her he laid down in the ground. Slowing his breathing he though about everything he left behind. Ow that everything had settled a bit he never thought what his family would think. His sister would support him and his father would say good job, but his most her would be so worried for them. Casey slowly had sleep come to him and had dreams filled with hints of the further to come.

Kristie waited until her companion was fully asleep before getting up and starting to pace around the campsite. She was coming up with a blank for a viable plan but she did have a few days to do so before it became a problem. Of slightly more immediate concern was the fact that they were running low on food. She grimaced at the thought of doing something so uncouth but she decided that she needed to do some hunting.

She left her charge sleeping peacefully and ventured farther into the trees to find some animal to kill. Most everything had hid the moment it scented her by she did manage to pounce on an unwary doe after not too long. She carried it back to the camp and set it down at the edge of the trees. Now that she had the deer…she had no idea what to do with it. She'd never cut up an animal to eat before in her life and she wasn't about to start ripping at it like some animal. Not to mention Casey probably wouldn't appreciate it either. "Wait a minute…" She glanced over at her sleeping companion, then at the sun that just started peeking over the horizon and had a brilliant idea. He said he was a farmer right? Certainly he knew how to do such things. "Casey!" She hissed, moving over to shake his shoulder. "Hey! Wake up!" She gestured towards the deer. "I need you to do something about this!"

Casey groaned as he was rudely awaken. "What!?" He whispered yelled as he thought in what was going on around him. Staring at the cat like girl blankly he looked at what she was gesturing at. Blinking at it he yawned. "What about it?" He asked. He got up and walked towards the doe. Picking up a knife, he began. To skin the animal. "You got this to eat right?" He asked her. As he continued to skin the animal she began to cut up the doe meat. Not minding the blood and guts he began to take out it's inside as as well. Soon he finished. He had skin in one pile, insides inanother, and meat in the last. Some insides of the doe could be eaten so he put it under the meat pile. "Are you cooking it?" He asked the cat girl.

Kristie initially watched Casey in something like morbid fascination but the point at which he started cutting it up she felt slightly sick and had to turn away. She put a hand to her mouth and watched the sunrise while trying to not think very hard about what was going on behind her. She jumped a bit when she realized he was talking to her and turned around, doing her best not to look pale at all the mess. "uhm…yes let me get my stuff out." She wasn't sure she was really equipped to be cooking this much meat but they only needed to cook a bit of it right?

She pulled out her camp cooker and a medium sized pan and gingerly picked up a slice of meat to plop into the pan. She put the little fuel source in the cooker and lit it before setting the pan on it and waiting impatiently for it to start to sizzle. Seriously, after this she was never ever leaving the city again. This was just barbaric.

Shrugging he looked for water to clean his hands. Finding some water nearby her washed his hand. Walking back to the camp he sat next the cat like girl. Grabbing all the meat his out in some sort of container he found. Casey also threw the guys in the woods so the other animals can eat it as well. A s for the skin he decided to keep it as he thought it was soft. Casey decide that he would walk the skin and keep it for something.he didn't know what though. Casey watched as the girl cook the meat. Tilting his head slightly he laid down. "So...." He started. He didn't know what to do now? But Casey was hungry and was glad the cat like girl is making some food.

He missed home a bit and hope the night sky would come after as he wanted to see the moon and stars. It reminded hmm when he and his sisters would go camping.

Kristie crouched in front of the cooker flipping the meant while her tail was making her cloak practically wave in the wind from all its twitching. If it wasn't still somewhat chilly she would just toss it. She gave a few delicate sniffs over the cooker and decided the food was done. She pulled out a fork and plate and handed it to the boy next to her. She wasn't entirely sure about eating that meat until she had too. She would munch on what she had brought for now. "Eat quickly…" She said, watching him with a concerned look on her face. Not concern for him, but because the muted noise around them had suddenly gone silent. Now, she was no hunter. She didn't know about signs in the forest and such. Something in her gut was telling her the sudden silence was a bad thing however.

"Something…" She stood up, trying to act nonchalant. Was that the tiniest sound of movement she had just heard? Her ears perked up and twitched then suddenly flattened to her head as she threw herself and Casey to the ground. Immediately after a gunshot rang through the clearing and 6 men dressed in black stepped into the light. Kristie growled and crouched defensively but she was at a bit of a loss here. She could dodge the bullets of perhaps one or two of them and take bullets from one or two more but there were just enough extra men to make her wary of taking them all on.

"Well well, what do we have here? Our little bomber perhaps? And who is your friend?" The man who had fired the warning shot took another step forward to get a good look at them both. "He is wearing our uniform, a deserted lured away by your exotic beauty perhaps?" Kristie bared her fangs and hissed at him before choking it down. She hated how her demonic instincts got the better of her in times of stress.

Casey watched as the girl moved around. He followed the movements of her clock cause he had nothing to do. As he observe her, he realized that the cat like girl was heading him food. Smiling at her he said, "Thanks." Casey's as consisted though, why on earth she was looking agh I'm like that. Thinking nothing of it he continued to munch on the meat that was handed to him.

Abruptly he was in the ground and meat out of hand. Not sure on what was going on, he decided the cat hurl knew what was going on. He sticker his face to the ground. That's when he heard footsteps near by. Hearing men speak form his old camp he flinched, almost.

Casey began to shake as he heard the stupid men speak. He didn't like what he was heating and thought of al of it was nonsense. His gun was still in his waist hopefully they don't notice it sat all. He didn't want his face shown at all. If is family was safe because he was supposedly dead than its great. It would have been a win win situation. But now. He wasn't sure what was going to happen now.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" With an extreme effort she pushed down the urge to attack wildly and stood up with a defiant glare. "Of course if you persist in bothering us like this perhaps I'll show you a little demonstration."

The man smiled gently, as if speaking to a slow child. "And blow yourself up in the process? I don't think so."

Kristie glanced down at her companion. If they had been together longer, if she had any idea what his actual fighting capabilities were, if they'd had just a few more seconds to make a quick plan, anything more than what they had now, she might have taken the risk and attacked. But as it was the odds were against her alone and the boy would not take getting hit by even one bullet as well as she would. She wasn't finding any way out of the situation.

"Ah, I see you've come to the smart decision." The man gestured to his companions. Two of them lowered their guns and came up to grab Kristie, who growled and swiped at them as they tried to grab her.

"Don't touch me!" She hissed skirted their hands. Just because they had 'captured' her didn't mean they needed to put their grubby paws all over her on the way back to the camp.

The man sighed and took a shot. It just skimmed along the inside of her stomach and she jumped back with a yelp of pain, clutching at the line of blood. "Now it looks like you'll need some help." Kristie cringed as the two men approached her once again but didn't try to resist this time as they put cuffs on her and put a hand on her shoulder each. She looked down apologetically at Casey and tried to convey that she would fix this, but she wasn't sure whether the message got through. Regardless, two other men broke away now that she was supposedly neutralized and went to pull Casey up and put him in cuffs as well.

As a man pulled him up, he sneered at him. "I hate traitors." Sighing he looked into him in the eye and whispered dangerously,"

"And I hate fucking stupid people." Casey knew now he didn't care anymore. He knew if they killed his family the Kingdom would lose lots of their food supply but living there practically his whole life he knew they didn't care one bit at all. Being pulled up to his feet he watched at the other en try to touch the cat like girl. Smirking to himself slightly when he noticed the men get hurt by her. They derived it. Watching her get cuffed made him angry but didn't show if. Hopefully they would come up with a plan to escape soon.

Casey then realized something. His family. Now that he is know a traitor they would kill then. His eyes widen slightly. He. Urged to himself.it was fair. He had no contact with the in months and they would kill them just by relations. It sucked so much. The man hold hi. Jeered at him seeing him stiffen a bit. "Piece of shit," he muttered under his breath. Looking straight ahead, his face stoic.

Seeing the girl's face he nodded slightly, he hoped the nod conveyed his message, "it's okay." It was her fault, he accepted the fact everything here no will be hard. But it sucked he was captured so soon though....But Casey is sure that the Cathie,a Ndebele himself would escalope, he could just feel it.

Kristie felt a tiny thread of relief; at least he still trusted her with this. And she did have a bit of a plan. They would have to suffer being captives for a while though. She tried to focus on the plan rather than the situation they were in and made a point of acting like the stomach wound pained her more than it actually did. With something that minor she would probably be completely healed before the night was over.

They were both taken into the camp, at which point Kristie and her guards went with the leader guy to be interrogated while Casey was lead to the captive pens and shoved roughly inside. "We'll deal with you later, traitor." The men and women in the pens kept their distance but looked at him rather curiously.

Kristie was also garnering many interested looks as she was dragged through the main part of the camp to the general's tent. It was taking all of her restraint and confidence to not hiss, spit and tear the men around her to shreds. Especially the general, who looked like a grade-a sleaze ball. "Oh? What is this Grant?"

The leader of the group bowed slightly and gave the general a tight grin. "We found the bomber who took out a large section of our supplies."

"Really? That little thing?" The general looked at Kristie with a mix of surprise, disbelief and derision in his eyes. "Well, who would have figured, a clever little kitty eh?" Do not act like an animal. Do not act like an animal. Kristie silently chanted in her head, though she wasn't entirely sure whether it would help or hinder her in this instance.

"Passably so, sir." After all she had gotten caught. "What shall we do with her?"

The general tiled his head while he considered the woman before him. "Search her thoroughly, bring the technology to me and confine her until a proper interrogation can be arranged."

The men and Grant bowed and pulled her from the general's tent and into another much smaller one a short distance away. More chains were brought in and she suffered through the degrading 'pat down' without taking anyone's hand off, though it had more to do with the several guns trained on her the whole time rather than any amount of control on her part. She was then chained securely to the large wooden pole in the center of the tent that had been sunk deeply in the ground. "Now be a good kitty while I'm gone." Murmured Grant cheerfully in her ear, barely getting out of the way before she put a hole in his face.

"You enjoy your trip to hell." She hissed at his retreating back. He had left two men behind to guard her and so she slumped against the pole tiredly, still pretending to be in a lot of pain from the gunshot wound and settled down to wait for her opportune moment.

Casey wanted to melt in the hands of his old comrades as he was dragged away to his old camp. He knew his family now would be in grave danger and if he didn't get out soon, along with the cat girl, he would be in trouble too. Mentally he try to think of different way to escape. But they all had loop holes. Think of all the escape routes he can think of, he noticed that they had may guards around the area. I'm so fucking smart.... he thought to himself. All routes I could even think of has too many soldiers...really Casey? Really?

The unknown man in front of him threw him to the ground in the tent. He grunted as he hit he ground. Sitting up himself he crawled on his knees to the the far corner. Casey knew it was useless to fight until he had a plan. Or cat girl gets him out of here, even if she takes him. "You fucking traitor Casey!" the man yelled ta him. Looking up slowly he noticed that it was Kyle. Grimacing slightly he said nothing. "I mean I wouldn't have thought this of you at all! You are a loyal man, why would you help that fucking girl and bomb our stuff and run with her? Aren't you worried for your damn family you always talk about? HUH?"

Casey noticed that Kyle was the only one who was guarding him. Typical, he is strong after all.... Casey didn't say anything. He didn't need to answer him at all. But he sighed out loud. Kyle was his tent mate after all. "Look," he whispered. "You don't fucking understand your bastard. So shut your fucking trap. You don't know why I fucking left and there was a reason after all. Why do we die? What is the 'cause of this damn stupid war? Why are people dying? We don't know. Do you?" he stopped talking and closed his eyes. It was going to be a long capture.

"Because of our king! Because of our Kingdom! Because the other Kingdom hurt our Kingdom and started the war!" Kyle yelled back to his face. Casey laughed.

"Is that what you think? Really?" Casey couldn't believe it. Is that what they told them? And how was I now informed of this lie? "Honestly, you were always gullible. Strong bit gullible. Think about what they said about the war between the two nations. Really think. Does it add up? They try to take our farms? Hurt our people? Were there any reports on it? And how do you know that he didn't do it himself? Huh? To get a war and gain power? What the technology the other kingdom has? HOW do you know this isn't a war of Pride?" he asked.

Kyle expression changed. He turned around and guarded him from outside the tent. Sighing Casey closed his eyes. He was tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.