It Didn't Have To Be Like This

"Just go! Ill meet you outside." He pulls a ballistics mask and pulls up his hood. "Go now before they know you are here. "Worry floods his eyes"

12842-83f70e762bb44b1df9a9a7739d1a21ee.jpg
Spruce felt her way backwards and swiftly turned as she found the sill. Lifting the pane quickly, she reared up her right leg and out she climbed beginning to descend. Foot missing a notch in the gutter she slips and falls the rest of the way to the ground. After a moment of her laying sprawled in the grass she sat up looking up to the window letting Zach know she was all right. Eyes coming back down to fall upon t the window before her, begin the glass, the small child placed her ghostly hand on the window and glared into spruce with her hallowed eyes that poured out a sadness spruce couldn't shake. She ripped a sketch book from her belt and quickly began to sketch, her pencil furiously moving across the paper.​
After a few more seconds she moved, heading towards Zach's house. Entering he backyard she pressed her back against the house and slid to the grass holding her head in her hands, fighting back the urge to cry. Not because she was scared or sad herself, in fact trying to understand why eluded her. She waited.​

mAn appears In the back door frame. He watchess her flr a mkment. "Who are you?" He continues just wa tching. A dark figure appears b ehind him.

(Sorry if I made any mistakes. Auto fill sucks and my thumbs are too big for the phone keyboard)

She waits in the grass, dew of the oncoming dawn dampening her skirt and stockings. Spruce put a hand to her hear and the other lifted the camera to preview the pictures she had taken. Scrolling through the images, the dark figure struck her as odd and so did the small child. Zach was taking to long, she forced herself to stand and plucked a rock from the blades of grass at her feet. Hurling the rock at the house it shattered a far side window. Spruce ducked and quickly looked around to see if she had attracted any attention to herself.​

(uh... i had responded earlier)
The man still stands in the doorway. He repeats the question. "who are you?" He gives no mention to what she just did. The dark figure shifts behind him and watches over his shoulder.

Silence cut through her mind as she waited, pacing back and forth,taking quick glances back at the house.​
"Zach" she whispered to herself, worry growing like plants beneath a golden sun. Spruce began to feel impatient, brows furrowed, a and heart pounding faster and faster. Periodic thumping of her veins reached her ears. She takes a few steps towards the house.​

"hey!" He walks from the house and grabs your shoulder "who the hell are you?" He inquires for the third time. "Don't make me drag you out of my yard" The shadow looms over him. A twisted, distorted face can bee vaguely seen on it.

A silence that impressed her snapped away with a rushing sound. The touch at her shoulder sent her spinning around, gasping, she clutched at her heart. Spruce was frightened enough, this sent her heart into her mouth. "I-I'm sorry, my name is Spruce, I a-am waiting f-for Zach" she stammered.​
She began to narrow her eyes in attempt to get a better look and noticed this distortion, she slowly raised her hand and asked,"are you hurt?"​

He looks confused. "Zachs roommate. Good to see he finally ggt out and found himself a friend instead of talking to the walls. Do you know where he is? Hebleft really early this morning"

She blinked at the man,"its very nice to meet..." She trailed off, suddenly from the corner of her eye caught glimpses of flickering lights. Turning her head to see her own house windows glowing with bright orange hues, Brown eyes grew wide and she took off screaming,"ZACH!!HELP! Call 911!!" Running to her house filled with flames and her grandmother trapped inside.​
She grasped at the front door handle and retracted yelping out in pain her hand sizzles. The world around her started to spin, all the events whirling in her mind stopped on the house across the street where Zach was. Her grandmother, her books, her art all burning away in her mind as she began to ferociously kick at the door. "GRAN!!!!"​
From the side of the house her grandmother came walking, safe and unharmed."child if you shout any louder the dead will hear you, the fire department should be here any moment"​
Spruce looked back to the house, Zach was still inside. What happened to him in there. Her mind grew louder and spun faster.​

Zachs roommate comes running towards the house and ask s "is anyone still in there?"

Sprucesmall.jpg
The grandmother waved her hand slowly," No, Just little ol' me, that what I get for lighting a candle" She confessed. Spruce's mouth hung open, eyes still wide as she stepped quickly away from the house and clutching at the wrist of her burnt hand. Spruce looked over to Zach's Roomate.
"My name is Spruce, this is my Grandmother, Carol. I think I need some water..."She said as her knees began to wobble. All her her things were burning and Zach was still in that house. The stress of the entire situation started to seep in.​

Zach comes running from behind his house."Shit! Marq! What happened?" Marq points to you. "She burned her hand trying to get in the house." Zach looks at the house and takes a deep breath. "I called the fire department. They will be here soon." A pair of detectives come out of the house of the dead and watch the fire. "Come on. You guys should come inside." Zach says, starting towards his house. "Ill take care of that burn."

Sprucesmall.jpg
Spruce went to her grandmother and walked between Zach and Marq towards their house. She took one last look back at the burning house, tears starting to swell in her eyes. Gran rubbed Her back and wobbled along side her towards safety.​

Marq walks to the kitchen to make tea for everyone, bringing the grandmother with him. Zach leads Spruce into the living room of the old house and grabs a first aid kit from the bathroom and brings it to her. "Sit" He says, gesturing towards the couch. He opens the kit and reaches towards your hand. As he does this, his sleeve pulls back and he pushes it back forward to hide the old scars on his arm. "Let's take care of that burn."

Sprucesmall.jpg
The elder and Spruce followed as the two lead them in and through the house. Spruce watches her grandmother leave the room and turns to look at Zach. She sits as he tells her too, holding out her hand she spread her fingers as the pain began to make her hand shake. Teeth sinking into her lip to fight off the feeling of agony that seemed trapped in her hand and its digits. Spruce hung her head and looked up at Zach like a sad puppy Her eyes welling up from the pain, and she whispered in a hushed voice, "What happened back there...what took you so long?"​

He says nothing as he inspects the damage to your hand. His lips part slightly as he breathes relief. "It isn't that bad." He takes a burn cream from the box and gently rubs it on her palm and between her fingers where he can see the burn. He puts the case up and sits beside you, watching as the fire department pulls up to the house and starting at the fire rising and spreading.

Sprucesmall.jpg
She watched him still, tending her hand and talking so few words. She couldn't understand Zach, Just when she thought she had some hold on his character, It slipped through her fingers. "Thank you" She whispered, letting go of her previous inquiry. Spruce reached into her pocket and pulled out Zach's camera and held it out to him.

"I'm glad that you are ok" She smiled a little.​

He takes it and places it on the table. The shadow that follows his roommate is lingering in the archway. It's eyes form and lock onto Zach.

Sprucesmall.jpg
Gaze lifting to that which had its sights on Zach, Spruce kept a straight eye on Marq, With the shadow in her peripherals. Doing what she could to ignore it she fiddled with her fingers and muttered under her breath to zach," Marq's shadow seems odd".​