It Didn't Have To Be Like This

He looks around a moment before turning to you with a slight smile. Sure. Id love to.

Sprucesmall.jpg
She packed up her easel and paints, Brushes, dangling the canvas from a single slender finger. She headed towards the coffee shop, talking as they walked."So what were you doing in that house yesterday?"
Her curiosity was now getting the better of her, Her eye fell over Him as did her Inquiry.​

He sighs. He knew she would ask eventually. "Cops don't know how to catch a serial killer. I do. I hear.... them telling about it. All the time. They wont be quiet and I cant drown them out"
(I hope you dont mind what im about to do)

(totally cool with it and flattered actually :)
Sprucesmall.jpg
Blinking rapidly she leaned in as they neared the street corner, exiting the park. Looking up at him with deep honey-glazed pools of Inquiry.
"So I am not alone, in thinking..." She trailed off as a car whizzed by honking at the car in front of it, a man flailing his arm about from the window. Spruce watched the commotion before finishing her thought,"so...Be honest, Why did you really come to the park today, I am here every saturday...and this is the first time I've seen you here, Mr.We---Mmm, Zach."
Her eyes were enlarged as the light from the sun sank into them revealing her dark pupils dilated and fixed on Zach's face.​

He mutters something under his breath about idiot drivers not paying attention. "Hm? Oh, I usually stay home, but my roommate was home and he is a jerk." He walks across the street and suddenly stops and pulls you back behind him as a police car blazes past where she just was.

Sprucesmall.jpg
Being pulled back startled her, jumping as the sirens wailed passed her and Zach. "How careless of me, Thank you" She said still skeptical of his story, There was something that didn't click, Something she was missing. She enetered the coffee shop and approached the counter, ordering a small cup of hot pumpkin spiced coffee, She then turned and asked Zach what he wanted "On me, I insist, It is not often I have company in the park."​

He shakes his head. "No, thank you. I don't need anything." He looks out the window at the police cars that parked across he street. He stares for a second before cracking a small smile. He whispers to nobody 'another one, hm?' He keeps watching the house, thinking 'I wonder who's voices are in there'

Sprucesmall.jpg
She shrugs wondering why he agreed to get coffee and sat down at a table near the window and the door, she notices him staring at the house and his lip movements, then looks over at the house herself. "Its the voices of the dead" She said, eyes locked to the house in the distance. "They are restless" Then her eyes slowly slid and fixed beside Zach and leaned in real close staring Zach in the eye, "They can't leave the house" Spruce whispered.​

He blinks and focuses on her. "So I have heard" he says. "I need to get into that house"

Sprucesmall.jpg
Sipping at her warm spiced beverage, she seemed deadly serious all of a sudden. So, He needs to get in the house and hear the victims of the murder in the house across the street from mine, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath she spoke gently, her voice smooth and smiled as thought she was talking about something much more light-hearted so that any onlookers wouldn't want to listen in.​
"I've seen one of them, circling the side walk, I think it was trying to get my attention, as you left yesterday. So I went over to the side walk to investigate and found this...Perhaps, This is what you need?" She trailed off into a whisper and pulled out a silver key and pressed it to the table. Taking another sip of coffee she slid the key across the table with a single, slender finger to lift and leave the the key in front of him.​
"I would wait until your "roomate" falls asleep and Meet me under my spruce tree by 2:30 AM, Then we will try the key together"

This having been the most she had spoken in her entire interactions with Zach, she cleared her throat and with one last serious look. Placed a tip on the table and took up her canvas and paints, Heading back to her house.
Leaving the key for placed neatly in front of him.​

He watches her leave the shop 'what a strange person' he looks at the key and inspects I t "they...? She couldnt mean..." he puts the key in his pocket and stands "I need to look at this new house" he walks across from the shop to the house with police cars and tries to sneak around back. He picks the lock on the cellar a d walks slowly towards the stairs.

Sprucesmall.jpg
Reaching home she set her painting down gently to dry, think to herself, 100 years to completely dry. Trying to fathom One-Hundred years, she tucked away her easel and brushes, and lingered by the front house window watching the house across the street. Waiting for anything to move, she chose a book from the shelf and sat to make her look like she was doing something other then staring.​

After walking around the house to no avail, he walked to the spruce tree, only holding the next note. It also says"it didnt have to be this way" and also contains a photograph of the man who died. He sits by the tree, waiting for spruce

Sprucesmall.jpg
Pressed against the banister, Spruce pushes herself gently forward to stand, folds her book, then neatly returns it to its rightful shelf. Drapes a short dark hood over her shoulders and neatly ties a perfectly symectrical bow before pulling the hood over her hair. Un-tucking her braids, she moves to the door and turns the handle, listening a moment to see if her grandmother was stirring, Exited, and closed the door behind her.​
Beside Zach, Spruce's eyes lingered for a moment on him before adjust her sights on the house. Giving Zach a nod, She began to walk with him towards the house in the darkness of the falling night. Her heart beat fast, but she maintained a calm and focused mind.​

He nods to her and walks towards the house. He approaches the door and looks towards the porch swing, as if hearing something.. He shakes his head and opens the door. It swings open with a loud creaking sound. He steps in and looks at the splatters of dry blood on the walls, floor, and ceiling "Poor souls." He walks ahead of her and runs his hand along the wall "What did you see?" He holds his head a bit. "Don't talk all at once."

From his perspective, disembodied voices are all talking at once. Jumbled noises and people shouting and muttering, From the eye of those who can see, there are many spirits wandering the halls of the old home. Children and adults from all time periods milling about, waiting for whatever is next.

Sprucesmall.jpg
When She stepped in, her eyes widened, Spruce had never see so many in one place. Children laughing, chasing each other through the walls. She held her hand out for to Zach, "Your camera, May I use your Camera Zach?" She said, Her voice shaking slightly. When she took up the Camera and adjusted the focus, Turning the cylinder, and Click......Click, click....click.
Flashes, illuminated the halls of the seemingly empty house, while picture and picture she captured the faces and forms of those lingering behind, with questions left unanswered They began to reach at her, or rushing past. she kept taking pictures as she asked Zach "What are they saying?"​

He is looking around. "It is hard to say." He looks to a corner where a man is standing, waving them down. "Someone is shouting to us. do you see anyone?"

Sprucesmall.jpg
Her eyes looked deeper into the dark, and in the corner she could see a figure flailing its arms around, it's head snapping back and forth uncontrolably, swallowing hard she lifted the camera and snap a photo of the man and then raised her hand and pointed towards the man. As she approached with caution she stood behind Zach and suddenly the figure stood extremely still, not movement at all it looked through Spruce and pointed at her as she pointed at it.​

He looks towards the man. "What happened to you.... marc? Id recognize that voice anywhere" he watches the wall. "I see. You dont know who, then?" He sighs "Do you remember anything? Weapon? Voice?" He looks confused "what do you mean they are coming?" You hear foot steps on the front porch and voices "Shit. Lets go." He grabs her by the hand and leads you to the back of the house "you climb out the window. Wait next door in front of my house. Im too big to get through the window. Go!"

Last edited by a moderator:
12842-83f70e762bb44b1df9a9a7739d1a21ee.jpg
She watched Zach very carefully, her eyes as wide as when she entered. The air in this house was thick. While Zach was talking to the figure, she felt something grab her hand just as Zach grabbed her other hand. It pulled gently at her before Zach pulled her, looking behind she saw a tiny child latching on to her tears just pouring from her hollow eyes. Spruce looked at Zach as he spoke but when she looked back to the girl gone. "Zach, I can't leave you in here." She said with vexation.​
Her eyes still wandering in search for the girl.​