ISE MONOGATARI ooc

[/rolls on in]
I originally was pretty definitive about who I was gonna apply with, but now I'm somewhat stuck between being the Miko and being a boisterous half-oni chick.

#firstworldproblems

[fieldbox="Tachibana Akemi, #C61E2D, dashed, 10"]
Race: Human
Personality: Since she was very little Akemi has always been a girl with a big heart. She was the type to bring home injured or homeless animals, would help her family with chores, and would make daily rounds to greet each and every villager. Since being cut off and brought to the mainland this has changed... not at all. She has taken up somewhat of a sister role for those at the shrine; especially when she'd do things like bring in boxes of kittens or make special lunches for birthdays. There is more beyond the frivilous though, seen in the girl's iron clad work ethic. Akemi believes very much that nothing can be accomplished without hard work, and that with hard work anything is possible. When assigned a task she will fulfill it with pride and fervor, even if it's something as simple as cleaning the rice pot. She'd probably end up doing it anyways, as she can't stand the sight of something being dirty. She simply aims to be as useful as possible to the people that took her in.

Akemi has some rather "old" definitions of entertainment. While some would like to go out and spend time in the town, Akemi would rather stay at home and practice her shamisen, or find a quiet place and watch the wind blow through the trees. The only exceptions seem to be when celebrations or festivals come around, to which Akemi will practically burst with excitement. Cultural celebrations are very interesting and important to her. As such, she'll attempt to drag at least three other people along with her to such events so they can enjoy it together. And then there are the times when she does her performances. Even after being disowned by the Tachibana, Akemi still holds great pride for her art that can be felt through her dance. When the story speaks of great joy it exudes from her, and when it tells of deep sorrow she can be seen on the verge of tears. The fact that she can use it to both help and entertain others makes the weight of her exile that much easier.

Bio: Once upon a time there was a little boy whom was born into a snowy village in the north. While many children were met with celebration and joy upon entering this world, this child was met with no such thing. You see he was born to a woman whose husband had died in their home, and the child was born underneath the darkness of a new moon. All of these things aligned with an old legend within the town that told of the coming of a demon child. Though the tale was ancient the village couldn't help but fall into the superstition, and as such the people could not help but feel contempt towards this boy. He came to be known as the Oni Child.

Though the village shunned both the boy and his mother, he still held the wonder and excitement for life that a young child would. When he was old enough he would wander down from their home outside the village and walk around. Just watching other people was enough to make him feel content. Ah, but out of everything he saw, there was one place that he adored more than anything else. Within the village was a Shinto shrine, which was owned and maintained by the Tachibana family. Though they came from such a remote place, the success of the family came from the inspiration and strength that their dances brought about. Rumors had it that a daimyo that employs a Tachibana to dance for their forces will undoubtedly win the battle. He would always sit outside and watch them perform through a crack in the door, and every time he would be driven away by the groundskeepers.

It was on one of those days, while hiding behind the resident's building, that he met a young girl his age. This girl was the youngest daughter of the Tachibana family. Unlike everyone else in the village who turned away from him, the girl smiled at him and invited him to play with her. Out in a small clearing on the mountain side, hidden away in the back of the home where she lived, the little girl and the Oni Child would meet and play. As they grew older, she would help him learn to read and write and he would help her to practice her dances. Together they weathered his mother's passing, as well as working through the daily ill will that the other villagers pushed upon him. Even when horns began to grow from his head and his new powers were wild with his emotions, she never once left his side. He was so scared, but with her there he felt safe.

One day the little girl - now having grown into a young woman - fell ill. Doctors from both the village and the mainland came to visit, and for some time the Oni Child - now a young man - was unable to see her. Finally he heard word that she was recovering, and immediately he went to see her, but no matter how he pleaded her father and her brothers refused to let him in. Between the desperation to see his friend and the harsh words that came from the men before him, his anger built up and his power lashed out. He ended up wounding all three men greatly before he brought himself back under control. Now disgusted and shamed at what he had done, he ran out of the village without saying a word to his friend.

When the girl heard of what happened she was heartbroken; not for the pain he brought to her family, but for leaving her without saying good-bye. She knew that he was a kind soul and was probably hurting and all alone. The girl wished to find him, but she didn't know where to begin. That was when priests from the mainland entered the compound. It seemed that word had spread that there was a cursed child within the village, and the men had come by boat to help rid them of their problem. They asked if they knew of the young man, and just like that her family began speaking of the horrible things he had done. Not being able to stand it, she stood up and told them of the boy she knew. She spoke of the days they would play with her ball in the forest, when they would doodle each other in silly ways and of how he encouraged her to become a dancer that would make the Tachibana family proud. Shocked and appalled by this outburst and her confessions, her father denounced and disowned her on the spot.

So the girl was taken from her village and back to the mainland. It just so happened that one of the men that had come to visit was a Koizumi - a cousin family known for their exorcism prowess - and taking pity upon the girl he brought her with him. Once there he introduced her to a small shrine in a village on the outskirts of Edo. At the time the village lacked a miko of their own, and though her ties had been severed from the main family, the fact of a practitioner of the Tachibana arts would be staying there brought them great joy. For a few years now she has helped to maintain the shrine grounds, as well as tend to the visitors, both new and frequent. Despite how active she remained through the days, the change in the air and the land did not escape her notice. It felt like the coming of fall in the middle of spring, and when brought to the attention of the priests, they too felt the same.

Alarmed, it wasn't long before Akemi was asked to make the long trip to Ise Shrine, and get to the bottom of this great mystery.

Skills & Abilities: It is a tale amongst the Tachibana household that their supernatural ability was born from a simple miko, whom wished to give strength to the troops of Ieyasu with a performance. The men were so moved by the woman's soul that they felt invigorated, which is believed to have helped them in winning against the more numerous Western Army. Since then the Tachibana have been called upon by many to imbue onlookers with their dance, and be it through the grace of the kami or the sheer strength of their spirits they are able to do just that.
  • The mark of a true practitioner of the Tachibana art is that of a strong soul. The stronger one's soul is the more potent their enhancements can become. Akemi displays this trait, but due to her youth and her inexperience much of her potential still remains raw.
  • Another unique trait for the Tachibana is that they can dance even when unaccompanied by musicians. In fact, one can only be called a successor to the Tachibana art if their soul is strong enough to generate the music themselves. This is one thing that Akemi has down-pat, as once she really gets into her performance it's as if the stage is full of instruments.
Extra Information
  • Before leaving Akemi was gifted a tessen to help protect herself on her journey, though she hasn't received any formal training on how to use such a weapon.
  • Akemi performs a cleansing ritual each morning, requiring a source of naturally running water to do so.
  • Having to perform in long garbs in the past and stumbling over kimonos, Akemi has become skilled in mending and patching clothing.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jays and Nemopedia
Eyyy
Hullo hullo ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between~
I'm going to attempt to be more active now that my work explosion is starting to calm down.
i upgraded to the git gud package

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Also, I gotta say-- I'm really liking what I see in characters so far!

• Thank You
Hullo hullo!
Heads up, I made the IC thread!
No worries, I'll be accepting apps tomorrow. How we'll start out is that all the characters are in a group together. It's getting dark and they're stopping at a small roadside tavern for food and rest for the night. While they're there, they can sit around and talk with one another or mind their own (kind of whatever you choose). During this time, posts will also include flashbacks of how you all each met the shrine maiden and decided to accompany her on the journey. I highly recommend discussing with each other the order in which each person met the maiden and how they met her. It could be really fun brainstorming together.

• Thank You
I'm going to keep my current one, I haven't written up anything for the other at all and I probably won't either.

Anyway! @The Red Sage, I will PM you with some ideas on how our characters could have met, if that's alright?

Reactions: The Red Sage
Er... let me know what you guys come up with so I can help integrate it.

I imagine the most likely scenario for the group to have met my character is fleeing from a merchant she recently stole something from.

Reactions: GuanYue
I painted a thing. I should have my own character sheet up within a few days.
iMKA1Bl.jpg

Okay, so since my character is being a butt and not writing itself...
I am going to accept one more character to fill the void.
I'll pose as Narrator and NPC player. xD
spread the word

• Haha
Reactions: Jays and Nemopedia
BTW, how's discussion coming along?
Do we have the possible order in who met Akemi?

I wanna say mine would be pretty early on, as she will sorta be acting as the group's main supply of goods.

Uhm, not sure if I'm missing something (I've been known to completely miss the obvious), but what's going on with this?

• Thank You
Well there was supposed to be discussion amongst players and posting, but, the only discussion I had seen was a PM with Nemo and the something brief here.

If you guys want to post to get the rp started, that would be great. If you want to drop it altogether because lack of activity, I wouldn't be upset.

Overall, I am waiting for a GM Introductory post i.e. a Narrator to narrate our little serene scene to pop our characters in, but I suppose if you wish for us to post first, then I shall.

If you want me to make an introductory post, then I can after work today.

edit:
Or I might be able to sneak something while I'm at register at work. We'll see how far I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting for more folks to come in to speak about how we met up and stuff, so that all our stuff is kosher. o__o
My b.

Reactions: GuanYue
I think me and @Crow agreed that our characters will meet with Crow's character being my first customer. I'll probably lead into meeting the shrine maiden when someone I stole something from chases me away from Crow and I bump into her.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: GuanYue and Crow
So my instructions were pretty much ignored... I'm a bit disappointed.