Is It Safe to Give Others Your Meds?

L

luvablelilmonster

Original poster
I used to have a friend that took Seroquel (an atypical antipsychotic approved for the treatment of depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder plus a sleep aid) and instead of actually taking hers, she is saving them as she's given them and she's handing them out to people. Is this safe? Could someone get hurt? I said something to the staff here when it first began, but nothing happened and now it's happening again and I went straight to the head of the whole campus to tell her.

Am I a snitch or did I do the right thing? I mean, it's a prescription drug, someone could get hurt... right? This may turn a lot of people against me...

Federal law makes it illegal for any person who does not have a license to write prescriptions to sell or give a prescription drug to another person

A drug dealer is someone who sells drugs illegally.

BAM!

You definitely did the right thing. o___o That's illegal, and REALLY dangerous. Your friend would be in a lot of trouble if someone took her meds and had a bad reaction... which is entirely possible.

You definitely did the right thing. o___o That's illegal, and REALLY dangerous. Your friend would be in a lot of trouble if someone took her meds and had a bad reaction... which is entirely possible.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to tell people, but no one is smart enough to listen. And she's denying it all! She went straight to the people I talked to and denied everything before they could even call her in to talk to her for it.

It's a he say, she say than. They may not do anything other than give a warning because there is no actual proof. Eventually, she's going to get someone killed as one of the worst side effects is increased risk of suicide. Then things will happen. The reason why people end up taking so many different medications is because each one has different effects for people. One brand can make 10 people feel better about themselves while make the other 15 want to kill themselves. It truly is a guessing game when it comes to these kinds of medications.

If you truly feel the people in charge are not doing anything, you could always try and bring it up to your parents or the police. The police might scare her into stop being stupid. Maybe.

I really am worried because the people she's been giving it to are my friends (Well, WERE before I lost all respect for them for being stupid enough to take the pills to begin with) and they could be in danger... I'm going to see if anything happens by the end of the day and if not, I'm taking action.

I'm sure you can find a loophole in the law. Try "donating" drugs to your friends. I bet there's a tax write-off in there somewhere.

I think we should ask our pal, Heath Ledger about this!!! :D *turns on the carnival music and points the spotlight to the door.*

*waits*

To be blunt, yes, that is illegal. While Seroquel is not addictive or habit forming and most medications in that class are hard to overdose on, a/typical anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, benzos, and mood stabilizers can be extremely dangerous when mixed with other substances, like alcohol or even other medications. If they are *just* taking the seroquel like one at a time, they probably aren't in that much immediate danger as far as medical concerns go.

Also, speaking as someone who's been on Seroquel and has known many people on it, the "may cause suicide" thing is not really all that common due to the actual medication. Often times, people prescribed medications to help with mood-disorders when they are at a very low point in their illness. Often times we are too apathetic to even think about killing ourselves, much less putting in the effort. The medication, however, gives us energy. While we aren't happy and cured from our illness, we now have the motivation needed. This is why it's absolutely vital that these types of medications are administrated under a psychiatrist and the patient is in therapy.

That said, since I don't know the circumstances I can't say that "yes they are in immediate danger", I can say that what your friend is doing is illegal and dangerous to her own health. I would keep hounding authority until something is done.