Is it okay to use images without permission or crediting the artist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's far too difficult.

Sorry Kak. You'll just have to stop putting stuff on the internet.

Uhhh.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you here, but I'm not totally sure what postmodernism has to do with this debate.
The claim was made of how could work be worth so much.
I was just addressing that the most unlikely of pictures could be sold for millions.

The claim was made of how could work be worth so much.
I was just addressing that the most unlikely of pictures could be sold for millions.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Mainly I think the disagreement is you're seeing it in a "It's too hard to track so why bother" outlook while I see it in a "No one's harmed*, so people should get so worked up over it".

*Exception is when it really is a paid for piece.
But the cases where this has been the case of picture 'theft', and the artist didn't do something stupid like post it publicly/free (where people copying it will happen) is pretty rare.
The problem is citation/sourcing. If you don't source somebody then people who would be interested may not look up that artist to try to get commission.

I've had people who said "I was trying to find you a few months back for a commission, but I couldn't so I went with somebody else."

Recognition is the second most important thing when it comes to an artist and their business. The first is personal style/skill.

So yeah.. Its a huge deal in a business like this.

Yes, it's far too difficult.

Sorry Kak. You'll just have to stop putting stuff on the internet.
So I should hide my stuff/business in order to protect my business from... *gasp* criminals!

When a simple citation/source could make all the difference in the world.

Yeah.. No.

I never said you should hide. Just, like... go away.

The world isn't ready for you, Man.

I never said you should hide. Just, like... go away.

The world isn't ready for you, Man.
Or you could like, not be a troll.

Pretty sure that counts as harassment.

I'd say something else, but I'm really not into personal attacks.

You're "pretty sure"?

Did you not understand my subtle nuances?

Oops, sorry Grumps.

No one read my last insult.

Your nuances are anything but subtle.

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THIS AND LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT/BAD/NEUTRAL IT IS TO PINCH OTHER PEOPLE'S ART, WITH/WITHOUT CITATION.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Yes, because every artist has time to go around on the internet and look for people using their work for roleplays, simply to ask if they would source them or take down the picture.

You aren't simply just using somebodies pretty picture. Artists tend to identify themselves with their work. You use their work without so much as sourcing them, and you literally take something from them.

Its not hard at all to have just the tiniest amount of respect. It takes what? 2 Minutes to find out the source to a drawing?

It takes artists hours to create it.
You make it sound like it's hard to find a piece of your work on the internet when it's not(Unless you suck at drawing of course.). Thousands of people take artists work without permission and hundreds of thousands people spread those images across the internet. In fact, a good portion of this site is built off of rpers that do that very thing!! All you have to do is search in the picture section of google once or twice and you'll probably come across your work.

Secondly, where are you getting this info from or are you just basing this mostly off of personal feelings? From my knowledge anyways, artists don't identify themselves with their work but more so express their emotions within them. It's pretty similar to how musicians express their emotions through poetry, raps, instruments and singing. If artists tended to identify themselves with their work like you said then I'm pretty sure they would've done something drastic to have this problem dealt with now. If Kanye West fans could get the presidents or a goverment officials attention with a dumbass pettion then they can too.

Also, taking two minutes to credit someone that probably doesn't give a shiz or will never get to see me credit them is a long time for me anyways.

You make it sound like it's hard to find a piece of your work on the internet when it's not(Unless you suck at drawing of course.). Thousands of people take artists work without permission and hundreds of thousands people spread those images across the internet. In fact, a good portion of this site is built off of rpers that do that very thing!! All you have to do is search in the picture section of google once or twice and you'll probably come across your work.
Exactly. If its not that hard to do, then why not do it off the bat? If for no other reason than respect.

Secondly, where are you getting this info from or are you just basing this mostly off of personal feelings? From my knowledge anyways, artists don't identify themselves with their work but more so express their emotions within them. It's pretty similar to how musicians express their emotions through poetry, raps, instruments and singing. If artists tended to identify themselves with their work like you said then I'm pretty sure they would've done something drastic to have this problem dealt with now. If Kanye West fans could get the presidents or a goverment officials attention with a dumbass pettion then they can too.
Why can't they both identify themselves with their work AND express their emotions? Since when did that become mutually exclusive?

Also, taking two minutes to credit someone that probably doesn't give a shiz or will never get to see me credit them is a long time for me anyways.
It takes time not to walk straight into somebody at the mall. But generally people do it anyway for no other reason than to not be disrespect them and plow them into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.