Is Google Making Us Stupid ?

Hmm...Well, I've learned quite a lot from Google searches, including a good bit of cultural information. That does translate to being a bit smarter.... So I suppose I'd be a bit dumber without my searching. Granted, I don't Google EVERY TIME I need to know something. XD Let's see....without Google, I'd... go to Wikipedia, as it's rather dependable. Offline, I'd have to go out of my way to find a library, as there aren't any around me. -_-'

Let's see....without Google, I'd... go to Wikipedia, as it's rather dependable. Offline, I'd have to go out of my way to find a library, as there aren't any around me. -_-'

People argue about the reliability of Wikipedia all the time. What do you say to that ?

Library~! There's a great point! If there was a library near you, would you committ the same amount of time to the library as to Google ? :D (crazy question, I know xDD)

There are some things that you can only really find in a book. ^_^
See, the Internet's fun and all, and I'm all for new technology, but the sad fact is... We're really just losing all personality. Messages to all of your friends at once- They're just...so impersonal. When you Google an answer, it's the same thing. Millions of people are viewing the same thing, and while it is helpful...When you find the same answer in a book, you feel so much more accomplished.
And I agree with the people on the Wikipedia issue, it's quite true. But it's up to the individual user to judge what's true and false.

Nah I Wouldn't be near as intelligent as I am now without google I read stuff all the time increasing my knowledge. If there was a library near by I might go. But by near by It's gotta be like walk away. Screw driving.

If Google didn't exist, would you be less or more smarter ? Where would you go for your Googled-information?

**search engines in general, don't say Yahoo or AskJeeves LOL ;]

I don't believe I would be more or less smart without Google or the internet. I'm a curious person by nature and before the internet became so accessible I would go to the library and just browse books and encyclopedias. One thing that helps me not seem less intelligent is being able to google words when I misspell them. The dictionary helps, but not when you don't know if you spelt a word incorrectly (or just possibly incorrectly as this is being typed).

I still buy books for purely research potential and I still love going to the library, but not as much as if there was no internet or Google.