Is cursive writing even a thing anymore?

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
I remember when I was in school, back in the 1900s, they made such a big deal about teaching you cursive writing, as if adults use it all the time. And like... we don't. Ever. My signature is in cursive, but that is the only time I have ever used it. Although, I guess I do like using cursive font sometimes for fancy graphics. 🤔 so I suppose it has it's uses in art!

Hey. Hey kids. Do they still teach cursive in the 2000s? Do you ever use it in school?

I remember cursive was still kind of a big deal when I was in my earlier school years. I also got the whole lecture about how important cursive was to learn. But it might have partially been the teacher I had. By the time I reached high school no one seemed to care. I even had at least one classmate (same grade) who didn't know how to read cursive, let alone write it. I went to school in the 2000s and a chunk of the 2010s, for the record.

However, I actually do use cursive all the time. And if I don't think about which writing style I am using, I default to cursive.

Even myself as a homeschooled child was given the big lecture on it's importance and taught to write and read it. I even remember my mother giving us assignments where she would not accept it if it wasn't in cursive. Ahh my great 2000s childhood. I don't see it often, but it's still pretty relevant from what I've seen even if I myself don't use it as much. I know a lot of people write in cursive by default because it's quicker and simpler according to them. And everyone professional I know uses, especially the doctors I've seen. Of course their handwriting is always a unique thing on their own lol

Yeah, I remember a big emphasis being placed on learning cursive in the 3rd and 4th grade. Apparently they're not really teaching it in schools these days according to some kid relatives I have. Makes me sad...they should suffer like I suffered >:C

Cursive is honestly the only thing I write in. Regular print (is that what you call it? idk) takes too much time to use. Plus cursive looks fancier!

I was in school in the 00's and we had to learn cursive, and I still use it now. I find it quicker and easier for me to read back on. My fiance on the other hand, is two years older than I am and he didn't. He was suprised in the early days of our relationship to learn that the 'fancy' handwriting I used for writing cards was the same I used for notes and stuff too.

It was important in school but outside the only time I ever use it is for my signature and sometimes if I'm hitting down story ideas or notes in a journal.

I love cursive writing! Sadly I suck at it very badly now. Nowadays my handwriting is this weird combination of cursive letters and block, because lazy habits.

From what I recall the reason why we were taught cursive was for the sake of the fountain pen, which was still the standard tool back in elementary school (early 2000's as well, it has been a while). The ink and the tip of the fountain pen just doesn't quite allow for block letters, or at least not the traditional ones. I used a fountain pen until I was around ten or so? Then we were suddenly allowed to bring our own pens and Stabilo pens were hot, but you were even cooler if you had your own ball pointer instead of a fountain pen and etc... because that was 'grown-up' and fountain pens were for 'kids' and the teachers just didn't quite care so much anymore because they weren't getting smudged papers handed anymore... It was and still is sad.

To get back on topic: the only times I use cursive now is when I'm really in a hurry to write something down, but then it is always a gamble whether I will be able to read what I wrote. 🤣

This is an important question. I would think that there are some schools that do still teach cursive writing.

Though I remember writing in cursive when I was younger unfortunately in the present I had forgotten what the J looked like when I wrote in cursive just because (my writing has grown very bad too).

I was taught cursive writing, yes. Not that I remember every single letter (how do you write a cursive Z again?) and I don't even use it in everyday life haha.

To be fair, I think the importance of learning cursive is in more than just using it as a writing form or understanding it.

Firstly it has some historical importance, as many older handwritten documents in our history were written in cursive. Newer generations of people who don't learn cursive will lose the ability to read those documents (in their original form). That seems like kind of a small thing, but if we ever got to a point where nobody on the planet could still read cursive, we'd have to rely on the transcriptions we have which could then be altered and the people would have no way of knowing because they can't read the source document.

Second, just knowing cursive can improve your handwriting speed. If you think about non-cursive handwriting, you have to lift your pen/pencil off the page for each letter. Having an understanding of cursive allows you to transition between those letters more quickly, improving your writing speed while still remaining legible to you and (hopefully) others. There have been times I need to take fast notes, and often I end up transitioning into a hybrid cursive style where some letters connect and some don't.

Cursive is important!

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: junebug
I don't know if they still teach it because I am also old but I personally practice my handwriting all the time. I'm interested in calligraphy and handwriting as an artform and find it very relaxing and gratifying. Sometimes I write RP replies by hand in a notebook first just to practice my script lol

They've pretty much stopped teaching it in schools at this point. I remember having a discussion about it with my younger siblings because they stopped like a year or two after I went through the classes for it. I mostly only use it when I want to make a prop look handwritten for D&D stuff, though.