Is change the best thing?

K

Kura

Original poster
RRRRGH.

I love the clinic where I work, but I'm not getting anything EXCITING to do, nor am I getting to do anything that I actually LEARNED how to do in school. It makes me feel a little guilty knowing that I put everything I had into learning everything that I know, and then I go and waste my days not putting any of it to use. We're so slow.. I'm lucky to see a single surgery in a month.. And if I want to get my specialty in the veterinary surgical field, I have to have at LEAST 4,500 hours in an OR. I can't get that here. Surgery is my thing. I belong in an OR, doing what I love to do. I want to be able to learn different procedures, and actually be able to SCRUB IN on a daily basis! It's been so long since I've even so much as put on a surgery gown, and it's KILLING me. D:<

Trouble is, my roommate has already put in an application at the same specialty practice that I have been mooning over for four years, KNOWING that I've been dying to work there. I let myself feel guilty for wanting to put in an application too. That, and I don't want to have to live with her attitude should I get the job instead of her. ):<

I need room to advance in my career. I want to better myself. I want more excitement. I need more money and benefits to support myself and my babies. I want to go as far as I can in the field that I have chosen, but I don't want to lose the friends I have made along the way. I HAVE to find somewhere else to work if I'm going to go into any kind of specialty, and I will not be happy until I know I've gotten as far as I can go.

STOP MAKING ME FEEL GUILTY FOR WANTING TO BETTER MYSELF.

What do I do? Do I say 'to hell with you all' and go for everything I can? Is my ego getting too big, or do I have the right idea in mind to get what I want? I just need some opinions, pwease!

PUT IN THE APPLICATION ANYWAY.

Friends can share the same dreams. It's not like they have dibs on it. o___o And if you have to compete for it... well that's life. >> They'll get over it if they lose. If they don't, they're just being a jerk. You've got as much of a right to go for it as they do.

As everyone else has been telling me, Kura, do what makes you happy. Follow your heart.

What everyone else wants for you should mean diddly squat. :3 Never know what happens until you try it, right? If you're unhappy, that's a problem. So do whatcha want, girl. If you lose friends in the process, well... They weren't really good friends, were they? Real friends would support you and cheer you on!

If she's a real friend, she'll understand your dilemma like we do. Not to be nasty or point fingers, but if she deserves the amount of love you put into this decision thinking about her, she'll suck it up and be happy for you if you get the job.

I SAY GO FOR IT.

It's not worth it to waste your life away wondering if it's wrong to have dreams. You'll end up with regrets and that's no good. You'll regret it if you stay where you are and it ends up that you don't get to put your skill and knowledge and passion to work.

Put the application in. You'll regret it if you don't.

Your mate shouldn't have a problem with it, if she knows you really want to work there. If she does? She's in the wrong, not you.

Gotta seize life by the balls and go for it sometimes, otherwise it's got a nasty habit of running away and leaving you behind.