Irrational Fears and Phobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana
Ticks. Although I did get bit by a tick this year and the bite bulls-eyed so yeah..
Mirrors. I avoid looking into them unless I really need to.
Dolls, especially porcelain dolls.
Being alone, although I guess it is hard to call that one irrational.
Deep water. The ocean is not my friend. Most lakes are not my friend. Many rivers are not my friend. Give me a small stream any day.

Reactions: Hana and Greenie
Spiders....now I have to look around to make sure there are none but yeah...I can't deal with them in any form
Small holes like a beehive
Big roaches

The open ocean...

Up until about a year ago I was completely fine with swimming in the ocean. Spent a lot of time on the coast in Texas and went swimming quite a bit. My uncle's job consists of taking high end clients out to the best places to go deep sea fishing, so its not uncommon to see swordfish and sharks from time to time... I however had never seen a shark going at full speed until this one particular time I tagged along. I was instantly afraid of ever going in the water again. You might think you could just swim to shore or something if you see a shark. News flash, if it wants you your fucking dead. DEAD. I know its extremely unlikely that a shark will single you out but I can't unsee that speed.

EXAMPLE
giphy.gif
n828kh62ne52d9xrvplg.gif

Being buried alive. Life isn't DeathProof (directed by Quentin Tarantino) so I probably can't punch through a coffin lid and escape. Coffins are so much tougher nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really, really, really detest crickets.

Or any kind of bug that jumps, but crickets most of all.

Oh, and cicadas. Those things can die in a fire too.

Centipedes, I hate them. I also do not like wasps, but those aren't really irrational fears. I am also quite crushingly afraid of failure, more so when I was not on medicine for my various issues (I have PTSD and Depression), but I am so scared of making that one big mistake that ruins my whole life for good that I actually will hyperventilate and panic. I tend to clam up when someone criticizes me with clearly no intent of ever forgiving me for a transgression for that reason. Being called racist by someone who has experienced racism a lot REALLY hurts me because I feel like even if it's not my fault, it's my fault by proxy and I feel like I therefore have somehow failed because of something I didn't do and cannot control. It's why I don't talk about social justice issues with anyone I don't outright trust.

One more irrational than that is tiny clusters of holes. Commonly called Trypophobia. They have to be a certain kind though - irregular, fleshy-looking holes. Things sticking out of them or moving make it worse. It doesn't happen when all the holes are regular or even, or have some sort of pattern. It also doesn't work if the holes are geometric, like honey combs. It's specifically tiny clusters of irregularly shaped holes that wig me the absolute fuck out. They just make me so queasy. >~<

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an irrational fear of cornfields, thanks to Mr. Stephen King and Children of the Corn. I also have an irrational fear of dying, but I think that one might be kind of normal, although I don't know if anyone gets woken up in the middle of the night by their fear. =/

The Red Menace.
I'm only half-joking.

I have an irrational fear of cornfields, thanks to Mr. Stephen King and Children of the Corn. I also have an irrational fear of dying, but I think that one might be kind of normal, although I don't know if anyone gets woken up in the middle of the night by their fear. =/
That movie made me love cornfields.. Malachi!

That movie made me love cornfields.. Malachi!
Omg.....I watched it when I was a kid. My mom left it in the VCR when I was like 6 and I played it. I accidentally scarred myself for life. Then they started coming out with the sequels....I can't remember which one it was, but I was flipping through the channels and caught a piece of one of them where someone got sucked into one of those harvesters....I was done after that.

Omg.....I watched it when I was a kid. My mom left it in the VCR when I was like 6 and I played it. I accidentally scarred myself for life. Then they started coming out with the sequels....I can't remember which one it was, but I was flipping through the channels and caught a piece of one of them where someone got sucked into one of those harvesters....I was done after that.
I have not seen the sequels, but if I had turned the channel to that part I would have been done also. o.o

I have an irrational fear of thunder and lightning. Like, outright, hyperventilating shaking all over and crying fear, and I don't really know why. It seems silly when I think about it outside of it, but in the moment, I am pretty down and out. I am also terrified of Outer Space and its vastness. The idea of floating out into the great nothing, into the endless nothing and the great unknown? It's something that creeps into my head when I am not really thinking about anything and I have to nope right out.

Odd every day fears though? I am always afraid of breaking my front teeth, by biting down on something to hard, or getting hit in the face. I also get paranoid seeing people walk by my front window. I'm fine, when talking with people, but otherwise, you can USUALLY find me leering at strangers silently demanding to be left alone until forced to interact.

I have an irrational fear of thunder and lightning. Like, outright, hyperventilating shaking all over and crying fear, and I don't really know why. It seems silly when I think about it outside of it, but in the moment, I am pretty down and out. I am also terrified of Outer Space and its vastness. The idea of floating out into the great nothing, into the endless nothing and the great unknown? It's something that creeps into my head when I am not really thinking about anything and I have to nope right out.
I know, right? And, my gym teacher I've had between the ages of 6 and 10 made out lightning to be a bigger deal than it was, saying that a lightning strike nearly killed a classmate but didn't. The odds of being struck by lightning are astronomically low, but I unconsciously clench when I hear a boom or see a flash. Given that I live in Seattle and it's always rainy/thunderous here, it's hell.

The other big one for me is drowning. Almost drowned in the deep end with little supervision as a kid, between that and the streets running over with water, being submerged in it and dying is frequently at the back of my mind.

I am scared of Bigfoot. I know a lot of people don't think he's legit, but I have had nightmares about him. I'm also super scared he's going to look in my windows because of a show about him my parents were watching. So, I used to live in the middle of no where on a mountain, in a valley, and I was coming over this hill. On someone's porch, my headlights hit something that looked like reflective eyes. Slammed on my breaks terrified. I couldn't see anything aside from the reflection but my mind started forming a face >.< terrifying.

Also, invisible cars? It sounds weird. But like, I'm scared that if I'm making a left on green or right on red, any turn really.. and even though I've checked over and over that as soon as I pull out a car I didn't see it going to hit me. Then rather normal stuff like merging onto highways, red lights surprising me, the dark.. these horrid creatures called house centipedes, things of nightmares they are.

I have several, although none of them are severe to the point where I can't function around these things.

Scissors; I can't trace this back to some freudian event in my childhood, but I'm terrified of having my digits chopped off, and scissors simply look like exactly the right kind of tool to do this. I can use them if I have to, but I really prefer to avoid them. Cigar cutters are even worse, especially the circular ones, which are designed to lop pieces off finger-sized objects.

Helicopters; I was on a helicopter tourism ride once when I was young, and the pilot left the doors open (we were belted in, of course). My poor little young self was paralyzed. To this day I won't ever get on a helicopter for any reason (not that there's usually a need to, anyway).

The ocean, or specifically, being on a ship in the ocean; I discovered this the first time I went on a cruise. The water itself doesn't bother me (I'm fine with the beach, for example), but once I'm out of sight of land, I freak out. I'm a nervous wreck for the duration of any voyage until I can see the coastline again. Ironically, I don't get seasick. At all.

Elevators scare the living shit out of me. I would much rather take the stairs than get on one. I can NOT get on one by myself or I'll freak out and possibly have a panic attack. If I absolutely have to get on one, I have to be with someone and even then, I'll tense up until the ride is over.

I hate rats and mice with a passion as well as bugs. Fuck those things!

Airplane toilets. Toilets that are in airplanes. I was on a flight back to the states and went to the john. The handle on the toilet had some resistance, and when it flushed the sound was so jarring that I half-expected the pilot to say "This is your pilot speaking. We appear to have hit a bit of turbulence, ladies and gentlemen." and prepare us to jump out of the plane. Imagine a thunderous combination of a 'boom' and a suction related noise that rings through the whole tiny room from a square-shaped box with no obvious answer to where the waste went, and a slight coolness immediately after. The sci-fi ship airlock comparisons are instant for me, and I can't help but laugh at myself for acting like I doomed myself to a tragic death by pooping. If I heard that sound again I'd perk right up and prepare for death, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.