Iron and Rain

"A cyborg? Mmmm... well best not dwell on it now... I'm sorry I made you worry. I just needed to get my head clear... um I think we both need some sleep." he stood up and went to the door. He looked back at her before he opened the door and left.

"No way Artemis followed him all the way here, it had to be another cyborg." he thought to himself. He opened the door his small guest room and flopped down on the bed.The harsh orange street light poured in through the rain splattered window and fell into the corner of the room where his sword and armor were. He looked at his mask and sighed "Guess it's time for a new one huh?" he got up and picked it up. He looked into the empty eye holes and ran a thumb across the mouth piece. He brought his other hand up and pressed on a small button on the side of it. Out popped a small disk tray with a translucent disk still in it. He carefully took the delicate object of out the drive and closed it back up. He went to his cloak and pulled out a CD case, opened it, and but the disk inside it. He gave another sigh, just looking at the case, before putting it back into his cloak. He laid down in bed and shut his eyes, sleep coming easily to the older man.

------

The next few days came and went as Ryoshi stayed mostly at the hospital while Akane recovered. Her new arm was getting easier and easier to use as it rooted to her nervous system. Brenner explained this was due to the nanno machines that were now flowing through her body, helping it adjust to the new limb. "However I would still use your other hand for fighting right now. Fighting moves are a bit beyond it right now, we need to well... in a way "show" the nanites how to fight. Thats why I want to move you to the training room down the hall so we can get you back into proper fighting order. Though I will say you have complete control over it otherwise, you've recovered quite quickly... thats why I'm allowing you to go outside when you want, but it will have to be with mister tall and depressing over there." he laughed and pointed to Ryoshi. "You've done well Akane, but now fun can start." he got up and walked out of the room.

The swordsman smiled "Well hey good new at least right? I mean how does your arm feel today, seems like you can move it just like normal." he looked to her. "So I have a surprise for you and now that you can go back out into the city I'd like to take you to it." he smiled. "Plus there are some places around the city I want to show you... my way of saying thank you and I'm sorry."

Once they were up and outside the cold crisp air hit Akane with its rainy scent, a light rain landed gently on her skin. Ryoshi had put on a simple surgical mask to hide his face, but he had the rest of his armor and hat on. "Come follow me." he turned from the hospital entrance and started to down the street. For Akane this was the first time she had seen the city, Its neon pinks, blues, and yellows painted the buildings that surrounded them. Signs for different shops were plastered all the over place, people littered the same street they were on, cars zipped past them, and the smell of food hung in the air.

Ryoshi seemed to know exactly where they were going as he brought them up to a set of stairs that lead up to an outlook of the entire city. He pointed "See the wall?" he pointed to a wall that span the entire perimeter of Quade. "This city is nestled right between The Dead Mans Hills and The Hog Plains. From there we make our way to the Mist Mountains and thats where we will find our Kirioni... then we can end this..." he looked over the brightly colors coming from the buildings below.

"Look." Ryoshi pointed out into the fog of the Dead Mans Hills and a huge hulking figure, bigger then the tallest building in Quade, came into view.

1606708173639.png
The beast came with in feet of the city, weapon ready, and swung down. BZZZZRT! There was a burst of electricity as its blade met with a force field. The blade bounced off and the monster left of a moan of pain as energy surged its way up its arm. "The whole city is covered in a dome of energy that repels attacks from the undead giants the roam the hills. I'm thankful we didnt encounter any of those on our way through." he smirked. The monster stumbled back into the fog with a whimper. "Come on this wasn't your surprise, just wanted to show you a nice view." he started to walk off.

And some sleep she could finally get, if perhaps a little fitful, for there were plenty of times Akane awoke in the middle of the night through her weariness, feeling the tender nerves in her body stiffening painfully with her mind feeling as though that was a cue to bring in the images of the monster that nearly took her life… Ryoshi’s life…

She would wake up in a fit every time, heart pounding fast against her rib cage, but found herself still safely tucked away in the ordinary recovery bed, feeling a crease adorn her brow as she repositioned herself and tucked the covers taut beneath her nose. Surely these were going to be the nightmares that would be plaguing her mind for awhile now… hopefully she got used to them eventually so that she could get proper nights of sleep.

Although within the next few days, she would get enough rest to be feeling… significantly better. The life seemed to appear back in her very features as well as the usual stormy grey of her eyes. Perhaps she was getting a bit of a new aspect of life… with a near death experience like she had just went through, she had to have pulled through for a reason, to have something to live for. Not that she took her life for granted in the first place, not when she was the soul survivor of her village up North, but each day she was living and breathing… she would try not to feel so crushed with guilt and despair at the thoughts that usually made her feel encumbered. Things needed to change, so she would start with the things she felt she was more in control of.

The days of recovery were a little frustrating, but it was coming along rather quickly, so she tried to be patient with herself. Giving it her every effort, in the end it paid off, and in the next few days, her arm would be reacting as though it were her very own. The machinery was quite slick, with the joints fluid, as though it was merely her own flesh covered in shiny black paint. Even now she raised it in front of her eyes, bending the fingers just as Brenner would ask, ensuring that it was in proper working order before giving her the good news. Her eyes flickered to Ryoshi who was the one referred to as tall and depressing and even offered a little smirk of her own, showcasing how truly well she was feeling this morning. It would feel good to be able to get up and stretch her legs in the city.

A darkened brow rose upon her features, looking brighter by all means, but still were a little weary with her recovery. Fun..? There were things she enjoyed, sure. Things done on the road while she wandered like the lost soul she was… but fun? Not exactly was a word she could define in that head of hers. Still, she only gave a gentle grin and nodded her head. “Sure… thank you, Dr. Brenner,” she said softly, her legs having been hanging relaxed over the edge of her bed while he did his last little examination before deeming her fit to be out in the city. She wore simple stretchy material over her legs, dark in color, with a blue t-shirt hanging from her body and draping about mid-thigh, either too big to begin with or with her frame having become smaller in the last month due to bedrest. Probably more of the former.

Her eyes turned to Ryoshi and no longer was there any sort of hardness in her eyes, having allowed any sort of bitterness in side to drift away from the exterior. Although there was still confusion and things of the sort on the inside, but she did not wish to hold such tings against him. “It is good news. I was getting bored of sitting in bed all the time,” she said and rose to her feet which were already adorned with the same mud-crusted boots that she wore while hunting. “Really good… actually. It is still sore at night, but… during the day and when I’m conscious with it, it does quite well.” It was amazing really, how quickly it had come to feel normal to her. She’d seen people with replacement limbs before, but had no clue of how one was to have them become part of their body… she wasn’t exactly expecting to have to find out either.

A sheen of curiosity came to her eyes then and a confused look quirked her brows. “A… surprise?” she asked. She felt it a rather odd thing to be coming from Ryoshi, but the way he smiled and seemed so excited about it, it made a slow grin come to her lips, feeling as though it has been some time since she has been able to feel something so genuine appear upon her lips. “Ryoshi that’s… that’s really nice if you, but hardly necessary. I… we saved each other so as far as I’m concerned we’re even. And you—well, you have nothing to be sorry for.” Cranky from being sleep deprived, she felt bad about lashing out when Ryoshi had only done what he did because he cared, something she was not used to receiving from other people. And to know he was still suffering inside from the loss of his wife… he didn’t need to be sorry for any of that.

Having a lot of time resting in bed with only silence and one’s own thoughts, she had time to mull over this kind of stuff.

Ryoshi wouldn’t take no for an answer though and was urging her along as fast as she felt comfortable, which was by no means slow because she was just as eager to get out and breathe in the fresh air. Being stuck inside for so long made her a little uncomfortable. The cool air hit her immediately and instead of cringing from perhaps the chill in the air, she visibly relaxed… but only for a moment as her eyes quickly took in just how massive of a city they were really in. She was stuck in place for a moment, simply staring with gaped lips, feeling her legs move nearly subconsciously as she heard Ryoshi’s voice beckon her forth once more. Although her eyes were quick to locate him and shuffled swiftly to come to his side, perhaps a little closer than he was used to… one, because she had never seen so many people crammed into one place in her entire life, and two, because she had naught a weapon to defend herself if needed… entirely vulnerable. That frightened her… especially when only a few days ago there was a cyborg crashing through the clinic looking for Ryoshi. She had the blade in her mechanical arm… but Brenner had warned against using it until she had proper training. Still, at least it was there as a last resort.

“Where are we going?” she asked, obviously not exactly getting the idea of what a surprise entailed… which meant her being unknowing! Wow… there were so many colors… it was easy for her mind to become distracted by all that was about her. With the people, the smells, the lights, the buildings… how did people function in this city?

Her feet nearly ran her into Ryoshi as he suddenly stopped and pointed outward, her eyes instantly seeing probably the largest monster, besides the Kirioni that attacked her village, that she’d ever seen! “Holy shit, Ryoshi! We have to—people need to—!!” Half of what he had said had barely made it to her ears as she began to panic, for who wouldn’t seeing a towering monster of the sort just outside city limits?! They were all in danger!

But then… something unexpected happened and Akane didn’t exactly understand what she was seeing at first as a large weapon was swung down, only that it didn’t break and buildings or obliterate any lives. It bounced off of… something… and it seemed to hurt it. In amazement she stared, with eyes wide in purr shock, unable to look away even as Ryoshi’s voice began to explain. “Wow….” she was near breathless at witnessing such a thing, reaching up with her real hand and brushing the dark waves of hair behind an ear. “That’s incredible…” And no shit… she wouldn’t even begin to know how to take down a monster of that size. Although she would have imagined her grappling gear would have come in handy for such a thing. Needing a bit of encouragement to walk away from the view, her eyes kept trailing back as her feed followed after Ryoshi once more.

“Have you spent a lot of time in this city…?” she asked as she came to his side once more, sticking close as she did not wish to get lost in the abundance of people that walked down the sidewalk just as they did. They were dressed… casually. Not needing to worry about monsters, completely safe from attack with that dome over their heads… what a luxury it had to be to not have to continuously worry for your life… or the life of your family and friends. She didn’t doubt that a lot of these people knew naught of what it was like to suffer such things.

As they walked the city noise around them got louder as the came to a busy street. Shop front of all kinds illuminated the street, along with the lights of passing cars. Over head were huge electronic billboards that gave off light blue glows as they advertised a wide array of products. The smell of rain and hot food hung in the air as they passed by a few small food stalls. " Yes, I lived here for quite awhile after I uh... 'died' It was nice to have some peace." he answered. "I made my way here as a delivery guy, no questions asked. Its a good place to get a fresh start." he looked at her. "Have you thought about what you'll do after we complete our bounty?"

Soon they took a turn down an alleyway, it was dark and smelled a little like trash, and at the end was a door. It was a little banged up and weathered. The window on it was made out of stained red glass, the light coming from within the building flooded out into the alley. "This is the surprise." he opened the door.

Inside the walls were plastered with masks of all kinds different designs, colors, etc. The shop smelled of hot metal and paint. At the back was a counter and behind it a short older man with snow white hair, he seemed busy with something on the work bench. "Excuse me." Ryeoshi called out. "Talbin we need your help."

The old man turned, goggles strapped across his face, and smiled "Well look at what the cat dragged in." he came around the counter and hugged the swordsman. "Its been to long my boy. Wait where is your mask, its not safe for you to be here without it."

"Its not safe for me to have it on anymore, to many people have seen it. I need a new one." he pulled his old mask out and handed it to Talbin. The old man ran his fingers over the details of the mask and smiled "Some of my finest work." It was then he noticed Akane. "Hello can I help you?"

“A drastic change of pace sounds like,” Akane guessed, wearing a pair or rather worn out pants tucked into mud-crusted boots as well as a simple shirt with an added covering over shoulders. Even then, she brushed her fingers over her arms, as though cold, but it wasn’t necessarily the chill getting to her. It was just… the sight of being surrounded by so many people. She’d stayed inside bigger cities before, definitely not as big as this, but even then they seemed to make her slightly uncomfortable. She mostly stayed in her room, checking on her equipment every day to either go back to the room and wait another day or collect her things and head back out. Like Ryoshi, she really did prefer being by her lonesome, as if afraid to make connections like she did in her own village before those people were all taken away from her.

A softened shrug of her shoulders would be her answer for Ryoshi, boots clopping in the slick street as she followed after him with misty droplets kissing her cheeks. “Same thing I always do I suppose. I’ll head back and look for another bounty. I don’t know anything else.” Those words she had said to him before, and it was true. Monster hunting was the only thing she knew and was good enough at to keep herself going. The stormy grey of eyes that matched the darkened clouds in the sky turned to him, curious. “What about you? Any big plans?”

The woman was quickly finding that this city… stank. The stale smell of food hanging in the air, pleasant at first, she though and maybe even making her hungry, but quickly decided that it wasn’t as appetizing as she thought. Now the smell of garbage hung in the air and she twisted up her features in distaste. It was nothing like the damp open air of the wilds, feeling as though this city was rather… industrial. That also made her uneasy. There wasn’t a blade of grass in sight…

They finally came to a door and Akane stepped back so Ryoshi could step through first, taking a look around with intrigue although it took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the dimmer lighting of the space. “This?” She asked softly, not really understanding, until her eyes took in the full view of the place. Masks… they were everywhere. It suddenly dawned on her that she hadn’t seen nearly any of her equipment since the last fight and her mouth pulled downward to think she’d lost all of it… but did Ryoshi really bring her here to help her pick out a new one? That quickly turned the frown upside down. Distracted with all the colors and designs, she nearly missed the interaction at hand, with Ryoshi earning a hug from a smaller man with hair as white as his own. She didn’t think she’d ever seen him soften up around anyone… besides her a couple times. Still, it was refreshing to witness. Taking a darkened frazzled lock of hair, she tucked it behind her ear, offering the man a light but somewhat unsure grin.

“Hi, uh… yes, I think. I believe Ryoshi brought me here because I’m in need of a mask as well.” Her eyes flickered to the samurai, as though to see if she was correct in her assumption, offering Ryoshi an appreciative smile when it was apparent she was correct. That was… rather nice of him. She didn’t think Ryoshi would be one for good surprises. “Your work is marvelous,” she commented with another look about the room, admiring the selection, but finding that she could pick out that they were crafted by the same hand, as though the man had a certain style to his design and decorative skill.

Reactions: Tone 6th
"Thank you my dear, I take great pride in masks I make here. I've spent years perfecting the craft and I'm always amazed at I make." he said before getting a small stool and placing it in front of Akane. He got up and looked at her, taking out a set of glasses. He looked at her face from every angle he could "Hmmmm just like Ryoshi there you've seen a good amount of pain... yet it drives you..." he said. "You have a goal and nothing will stop you from reaching it..." he took out a small pad of paper from his pocket and wrote down a few notes. "I can have both masks ready for in a few days, I have a few customers ahead of you, but Ill get em done don't you worry." he stepped down and smiled. He looked and Ryoshi "Yes my boy I already have something in mind for you."

"Thank you Talbin how much do I owe you?" he asked.

"Hmmmm hows a hundred credits sound?" the merchant smirked.

"Talbin... I know your works go for more then ten times that much."

"Fine then one fifty, not a penny more! You saved my son that I can never repay."

"Very well, Ill give it to you once the works are done."

"Wouldn't have it any other way my boy." the mask maker smiled.

A few days passed while they waited. Brenner had started Akane's training with her new arm, it was a little rocky at first, but eventually the arm was in its early stages of adapting to how she fought. "Today was good but I'd still avoid fighting if you can, its just now starting to understand." the doctor explained.

"Hey Talbin just called, said our masks are done. Meet me outside when you're ready." Ryoshi said.

With that they headed to Talbin's place and he greeted them with a big smile "Please come in, have a seat." he ushered them to a couple of chairs. He went back behind the desk and came back with two beautiful masks "Some of my finest work."

Ryoshi smiled "Talbin you've out done yourself."

1607937716887.png
"Thank you my friend. Its more of a mask helmet combo now, but as you asked for it's all modular. So if you want it to be just a mask it can be with a simple press of a button." he smiled. "It filters out poisons and comes standard with a small heater for those frost bitten nights."

"And for you my dear." he handed her a mask.

25020744287ccc054be8cc6fb15abe94.jpg
"I see a wolf you Akane, a beast willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. I have reflected that in this mask, like Ryoshis it can filter out poison, and with a push of a button the part around the mouth will close. Oh and it also has a heater... I hope you like it." he smiled at her.

--------

A week passed and Akanes progression with her arm was going smoothly, it seemed as though her body had fully accepted her new limb. That isn't to say every day was without its kinks, she had punched a few holes in the walls as the arm would occasionally get overloaded. However, Brenner reassured her that it would work out.

Ryoshi had taken to doing small odd jobs around the city for some extra cash. He needed to to the good doctor for their room and board while they stayed at the hospital. He found himself falling back into his routine from when he lived in the city all those years ago. Get up early, eat breakfast, shower, go to the job board in a few blocks away, do the job, hit the bar that night, go home for dinner, chat with Akane, then head to bed. On rare occasion he'd find a woman at the bar to go home with.

"So Brenner said you're looking for work to, you sure you're feeling up to that? I can make more then enough for both of us." Ryoshi called from just outside the hospital entrance, as he lit a cigarette. It was a colder night and the rain was coming down heavier then it had the past few nights.

Reactions: Megasis
For not being much of a people person, Akane found that Ryoshi at least had decent taste in friends. The man named Talbin was kind and she could tell in an instant there was a close bond between the older samurai and the mask maker. For good reason it seemed. Enlightened later with the fact that Ryoshi had apparently saved his son. Surely that is where it all began if not before. Raising a darkened brow, a slow curve graced her lips, a gentle close lipped grin from the man’s mutterings. “Must be some tool to be able to tell you all of that,” Akane spoke, although it was slightly in jest for surely the man simply had an eye for this kind of detail, probably in the long years of his work and experiences. Funny that these were the things he noted besides numbers from measurements.

Knowing she would not be given such treatment without Ryoshi, she still wished to make her gratitude known, giving a rather formal bow of head over the folding of hands in front of her chest, something done in her village to show respect, although surely Talbin would not know such a thing. “Thank you, Talbin. For you kindness. It was a pleasure to meet you as well.”

After everything was in order, Akane would walk out behind Ryoshi of the shop to leave the man to his work, but he would also not get away without her showing of gratitude. Stepping up beside him quickly before making their way down the alley, she slipped fingers about his sleeved arm and pressed the side of her head into his shoulder with a softened curve upon lips. Genuine. “Thank you, Ryoshi.”

—//—//—

For being able to move her arm almost immediately after surgery, she did not expect the finer details of maneuvering her arm would be so difficult. With a sparkle of perspiration on her brow, they were working on simple movement, ones of which she was shown when she first began training as a fighter. Constantly she was needing to be reminded that they were not training her strength of the limb, but the fine movement so she did not hurt herself or others around her.

Her training was the same time every day, and most days she would find Ryoshi waiting for her, asking her how the arm was feeling and having been watching for a few minutes outside the window. Today was no different, being offered a towel to dab her face as she walked out of the training room with Brenner. “Sure thing,” Akane nodded, trying to be patient with the process, but it was hard some days, feeling as though she should be showing more progress when in actuality it was the arm itself that was in charge of the pace of the process with not a whole lot she was able to do besides wait for it to catch up to speed with the rest of her body. Although the request of no fighting wouldn’t be too terrible to accommodate, since there really has been no need since she entered the city. Whether or not that was because of Ryoshi’s presence often beside her though she didn’t know.

“Hey, Ryoshi,” she greeted while drying herself off with the towel given to her, wearing a simple dark tank top and pants, showing off the connection of the mechanical arm to her fleshy shoulder of which had healed quite nicely to become a smooth transition. “Wow… already??” She asked with a raised brow. The elder man had proclaimed there were customers in front of them even… that was amazing. “One sec, let me grab a jacket.”

Sufficiently clothed for the chill of the outside air, she walked with Ryoshi to Talbin’s place, catching him up on her training for the day and asking how his own jobs were going in the city. Light talk for the pair since they no longer spent every waking moment with one another. It was… odd to say the least. That she had grown so comfortable traveling with a companion after a rather short amount of time. It just made her think when she was by herself if she had been craving such company all along but had not allowed herself to accept such a thing, as though she found it a fitting punishment for unable to save any of the people she cared about in the past. However, she found that such thoughts no longer bared themselves so mercilessly upon her shoulders… as though she was finally coping.

“Hello Talbin,” Akane greeted, walking in after Ryoshi and shaking her hair of the droplets of rain that were misting from the sky this afternoon. He did not keep them waiting long, seeming eager to show off his work and it was obviously seen that this was the man’s passion. “Oh my…” Akane blinked in surprise at what the man offered them, almost in disbelief that they were to be theirs. “Ryoshi that is so fitting for you!” Akane said with a rather joyous chuckle at seeing the sleek black in the style of a samurai head. Fearsome, but also fearless of which she had come to know Ryoshi to be. It was perfect. Then she was being offered her own, and she tilted her head in wonder as her fingers reached out to hold the offered item. Fingers brushed over the darkened metal that glimmered in the dim lighting and she instantly felt a connection with the piece. The usual storm in irises eased, seeming lighter today and holding a sparkling sheen as her eyes rose up from her inspection of her mask to find Talbin. “It is… absolutely exquisite.” She felt no words of thanks could properly show her gratitude. Instead, she reached out to place fingers upon the elder man’s wrist and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I adore it. Thank you so much…”

Used to merchants and thieves that sold crap in order to make a credit, she has never felt such dedication in a piece of work in which Talbin put into his masks, making her feel like a person instead of just a pawn. Ryoshi made her feel the same way, and in a way Brenner as well. She had no idea there were such kind souls that looked out for others, assuming the world was simply one large chaotic sphere of which everyone within struggled to survive. Perhaps she had never opened her eyes, to see the world for what it was, or perhaps she had just never ran into the right people. Regardless, she found things much more pleasant and easier to bear when she had people around her that she could rely on. All of which began with the samurai that stood beside her…

—//—//—

Brenner was constantly reminding her of the positives during her training, her frustrations obvious when she was unable to do something that she was able to do so easily before. It has not been rejected… that is a good thing! he kept saying. That they would otherwise have to do another surgery and start the process over. Patience being tested, but she tried her best to calm the storm inside of her. Perhaps it was the same old walls getting to her… needing a change of scenery or perhaps something that… at least gave her a small purpose. Anything. Which is when she brought up the question to Brenner of whether she would be okay to find some work. He looked skeptical, but when she assured it would having nothing to do with fighting monsters, his expression changed, figuring any sort of basic movement that could be done on a daily basis would only further bond the arm to her body.

Having had the idea of speaking to Ryoshi about the matter over dinner in the next couple of days, it would appear as she spoke to him through her comm that he had already been enlightened of the idea by Brenner. That sneaky asshole. Having become accustomed with the area of which Ryoshi usually took her around, she’d become rather comfortable with the market, having to take but a simple metro to get there of which she had taken plenty of times by now, and if she got lost, her trusty new mask had her covered and could lead her back to the hospital. The thing was amazing… and she already had something in mind to gift to Talbin since he had been so kind with not charging Ryoshi and arm and a leg for them. Just another reason she was wanting a job, to pay for things without having to reply on Ryoshi all the time… especially when she was scheming to gift something to him as well.

“Tch, that nosy jerk of a doctor. I wanted to tell you myself,” she said, having pushed the button on her mask that made it a little less gaudy for public viewing, resembling sunglasses almost that still did well to hide her features, blending the cowl over ear and down around her neck to look as though it was part of her attire. A link had been set up between her mask and Ryoshi’s so that they could talk to each other whenever they wished, curtesy of Ryoshi who seemed to be rather protective over her ever since her near fatal injury.

“I believe I am. I might as well be doing something productive. Plus, I don’t feel comfortable mooching entirely from your earnings, Ryoshi. I wish to do my part… besides, people will soon be led to believe you are my sugar-daddy. I don’t wish to burden you with that kind of image.” If only he could see the smirk on her lips, having teased and referenced the title to him before of which he nearly always gave a groan and slap of palm upon his face, nearly begging for her to stop using such a term. “I’m just speaking the truth,” although surely the hint of tease was heard in her voice.

A softened chuckle later, she stood outside the metro with her bag of groceries in hand from the market, heading back toward the hospital to the buildings connected, the space available not necessarily for patients, but made it rather easy if they were staying long term, of which Brenner had set them both up with a room… of which she nearly wished were not too entirely close together for the nights that Ryoshi had… company.

“Are we still on for dinner tomorrow? My treat. You have to be sick of your burnt delicacies by now right?” She hesitated, but feeling in a rather uplifting mood, she could not resist. “Or are you expecting another lady friend…?” She had not previously mentioned that she knew of the visitors Ryoshi sometimes brought home with him for the evening, and thus expected a rather flustered response from the older male, seeming to nearly forget sometimes that she was a mature woman herself and was entirely accustomed to the knowledge of an intimate dance between a male and female.

Another tut from the woman as where she currently was, the rain was also beginning to set in, and thus she swiftly removed her jacket to place over the bag of ingredients to prevent them from becoming soggy. “I should have known it would start raining at the most inconvenient moment,” she grumbled, but thankfully saw the metro arriving upon the rails. “Ryoshi, I’m about to board the metro. We might lose connection.” As they sometimes, with the connection becoming less stable the further they were apart and the obstruction of metal from buildings… or the metro… seemed to disrupt their connection.

The car went into the darkness of tunnel, the bright lights of the car illuminating the other people riding she was riding with. A business man talking on a phone, a lady and her small daughter, a young man who seemed to be asleep a few seats over, and three people in black hoodies with blue neon trim along the hoods. They were looking at her pointing and chuckling... then they got up and walked over to her. The leader was in the center had a huge grin on his face, he had an eyebrow piercing and some blond scruff on his chin. These guys seemed a little younger then her but more then made up for it in bravado. The leader sat down next to her and he reeked of boos "Hey sweetheart never seen you around before, new in town?" he smirked. "You know it can be dangerous around here, lots of people out here would KILL to have a pretty thing like you." he laughed.

"Yo Dune check out the tech on her." one of the underlings pointed to her arm.

"Oooo sweetheart look at the new shinny tech your showing off, you must be loaded! All the more reason for you to run with us, we will take very good care of you." he reached out and grabbed some of her hair, not hard, just running it between her fingers. "Or we hold you down in front of these nice people and cut that arm off your corps." he pulled out a knife.

"Thats enough." A voice said from behind them, it was the guy who was asleep in the corner.

1608622721287.png
He was much more clean cut then most of the people she had seen around her part of the city. Also... did he have a dragon on his shoulder!

"Fuck off cub scout. The lady don't have a problem with us, but we got a problem with wannabe watcher pups sticking their nose where it don't be long." Dune growled.

"Miss do you need my help?" the boy asked.

As the metro came to a stop, she boarded swiftly with a quick scan of certification before taking a seat and shaking out the droplets from charcoal colored hair. It was rather empty today, so she eased the back of groceries to the empty seat beside her and grabbed up her jacket to slide back onto her arms, but before she could do so, she was approached by three men who stank of mischief near immediately and spotting it in the twisted grin of the male that approached first. Out of the corner of her eye she had noticed them pointing, but figured they could easily be pointing at the man a couple seats over from her that was sleeping. Seemed as though that thought was wrong though as the man stopped and settled into the seat beside her, jacket paused over elbows as he leaned across the way to intentionally invade her personal bubble. Her nose wrinkled slightly to smell the booze upon his breath as he spoke to her.

“You’re too kind,” she spoke with obvious sarcasm, hips tilting her slightly away to gain a breath of fresher air, but the man only followed, only to brush fingers against her shoulder where her arm melded into her skin, making her cringe in disgust and swat his hand away rather swiftly. “No thank you,” she said curtly, but apparently the male was not taking no for an answer, grappling for a lock of her hair to twist between roughened fingers with displaced softness for his words did not match the action. Her pulse fluttered to quicken, her eyes flickering between the three of them, figuring it could be an easy fight, but with her new arm? Brenner still warned her against using it, but it wasn’t as though she would allow these thugs to do what they wanted willingly. Last resort, she decided instead. But the next problem was the people around her and whether or not they could get hurt in the process.

Her gut feeling was confirmed when she heard the scraping of a knife against its scabbard, body prickling to see that these men weren’t joking around and would probably be quick to kill her for what the wanted. Seemed like it was time to see what her arm could do in live combat…

But a voice spoke up first, one to her left by the man who had seemed to be sleeping in the corner. Eyes of grey blue angled toward him, about to tell him not to get involved even if the gesture was nice, but the glint in his eyes told her that this wasn’t exactly his first dealing with guys like this. The thug beside her was quick to tell the male to fuck off, but he didn’t seem to perturbed, only ignoring as his eyes instead landed upon her to ask if she needed help.

Huh… what a gentleman.

“Usually I’d say no, but I’d actually take some assistance today. Since you’re offering.” Just as she finished her sentence, a flattened palm from her left arm shot forward to crack Dune right in the nose. “Asshole,” she uttered and rolled out of her seat to avoid a slash from his blade, metal arm and all clanging to the floor where she crouched like a wild animal, pushing a button upon mask for it to encompass the front of her face, but left mouth open for viewing as her lips twisted into a gentle smirk as she tugged the sleeve of her jacket over elbow for the hidden blade to come out glittering and pristine. Damn, she loved that!

"Last chance to run, boys. But if you want my arm so bad, come and get it."

Dune grabbed his nose "YOU FUCKING BITCH!" he yelled as his eyes teared up and blood started to run down his nose. "Don't just stand there fucking get her you idiots!" he shouted at the other two.

Both drew blades and came at the both of them. "Kaza go!" the man commanded and the dragon on his shoulder leapt off and attacked one of them. The thug toppled over onto the cold steel of the train car, the dragon bit at him tearing bits of flesh from his face. "Kaza come!" the man shouted and the dragon darted back to his shoulder with a roar.

The other thug was rushing Akane but there was a loud *BANG* from the mans gun. "AH!" the thug yelled and fell to the ground gripping the back of his knee, a rubber bullet falling next to him.

"Fucking morons!" Dune shouted and stood up, whipping the blood from his nose. He rushed the man with a toothy grin "Come on boy scout lets see what you got!" he laughed.

"Kaza go!" the man ordered Kaza to attack again, but Dune was to quick and smacked the smaller dragon off to the side. It flew into a pole and hit the ground with a "Wark!" pained sound. "Kaza!" the man looked to his beast quickly and startedto reach for him.

"I don't think so boy!" Dune slammed into him and knocked him into the wall. He but the knife to the mans throat, a crazed look in his eyes, and laughed a little. "End of the line boy-o, lotta good joining the watch did ya huh?" he pressed the blade into the mans neck and small red line formed, the man grimaced. The two other thugs started to get up with the same crazed looks. They started to approach Akane.

"Don't talk shit.... about... the watch!" the man said. He spun his gun up in his hand and fired! A rubber bullet rocketed out of the gun and blasted Dune right under his chin, and from nearly point blank range. It tore his flesh and nearly shot into his mouth, but it dropped at the last second. The shock made Dune drop his knife and grabbed at his chick. "Now sit down!" he reared back his fist and punched Dune right in the stomach. He fell to his knees, clutching his stomach, and started coughing as the wind was knocked out of him. The man ran to his dragon and helped it back up on to his shoulder "You okay Kaza?" he asked. The small dragon nodded and the two stood to face the remaining thugs. "Miss look out!" he called.

One thug went to stab at her face but Akane brought her machine arm to catch the blade. The thug growled and pulled it back. "Come on she can't stop both of us!" one shouted to the other and they both went you stab her in the chest.

A softened sneer from Akane as her blade glistened in the dim lighting. “Alright, but I gave you a choice,” she spoke casually, quite confident in her abilities despite still recovering from an injury. Her stance straightened and she readied herself for the two men, but before they could be within reach, a creature upon the stranger’s shoulder flew forth and was sufficiently distracting enough to falter their steps. She marveled quietly at the creature’s graceful nature but also its ferocity as it tore at the skin upon the one thug’s face.

Attention being drawn back to the fight, fingers on her mechanical arm flexed outward and prepped to grapple the man running toward her, but he too went down after a shot from the stranger’s gun, though no blood burst forth, only making the thug buckle onto a knee. Not a lethal weapon… but impressive. Less messy too. She grinned slowly, figuring this was way too easy, but just as quickly the man’s pet was down and then so was he as Dune grappled him and held a knife to his throat. Her eyes widened. “Stop!” She demanded, reaching for her grapple… but then realizing it wasn’t there. It was still muscle memory at this point for her to reach for it and utilize it, but it had gotten damaged in the last fight and so she was in need of a new one.

Instead she tried to approach to slash Dune’s face with her hidden blade, but the two crippled thugs stood in her way, grinning wickedly with blades glinting in their fingers. “Still haven’t learned your lesson, huh?” A blade went for her face, but the nice thing about a mechanical arm… can’t get sliced open. Her metal palm caught the first blade, a prickling screech vibrating through the air as the thug pulled his weapon out of her grasp. Eyes would glance down to see not a scratch upon her hand. This thing was durable as hell…

Shing! Another blade collided with the metal and bounced off as she stepped backward, quick footwork keeping her at arms length of the men as they were quick to follow, creating a rhythm of swipe, dodge, then taking a step back. That way, when they both angled the point of their weapons at her heart, she instead sidestepped, their momentum carrying them forward as she dropped to the ground, in the process slashing her energy dagger across the tendon on one of their feet, basically disabling them from running away or trying to move anywhere fast. Both thugs howled in pain as blood leaked from the back of their ankle, bodied dropping to the ground. She almost pitied them… but not really since she did say she had given them a fair warning.

“I’m a hunter, fuckers. I’ve killed plenty of bigger monsters than you. So feel lucky that you’re being left with your pathetic lives.” A booted foot rose to thrusted them both onto the ground with cheeks pressed into the dirty floor. “Stay down.” She reached up to press the button on her helmet again to bring up the visor, casting eyes over her shoulder to see the man had settled his fight as well with the leader who still held his chin, blood trickling through his fingers. “Thank you for the help,” she said a bit softer, taking a couple steps toward him with a hand settled on her side… which when she looked down at a slash in it and a bit of crimson bleeding through the fabric. Just a shallow cut that must have been the bite of one of the blades when she wasn’t expecting it. , but it made her sigh… hopefully she didn’t run into Ryoshi before getting to her apartment. Otherwise such a cut would make it rather obvious she had been in a fight. Easing her jacket over the cut rather casually, she glanced upward once more between the man and the glowing eyes creature that stood upon his shoulder. “I think I caught your name… you’re Kaza,” she said with a little grin before the stormy orbs turned upon the man then. “But I don’t think i caught yours.” Stepping closer to him, her fingers reached up to brush against the red mark on his neck that the blade had made. “Are you alright?” She asked as a thumb smeared the beads of blood from the red line.

He smiled "Yeah I'll be alright, thank you." he took out a small cloth and wiped the blood away. "My name is Nash Reevs, Watch officer in training. This little guy is Kaza and he's my partner are you alright?" he asked. Nash took a little bit of dried meat out of his pocket, and Kazas eyes went big. He started making small circles in the air and little excited noises escaped his mouth. Nash tossed the meat to him and Kaza snapped it up in his mouth. He floated back down on his partners shoulder and ate his reward happily.

"Where did you learn to fight like that? You said you were a hunter... can I see your I.D.?" he looked Akane. "Sorry I don't mean to sound like a hard ass I just... well thats some pretty serious tech for a civilian to be carrying around. I don't want anyone getting hurt." he explained. Just then his communicator went off, a small headset attached to his left ear, and he turned away from her. "Yes... Yes I was here... yeah a couple of guys from the Union Gang attacked a passenger... Yes she's okay actually helped me out in the fight, she said she was a hunter.... I was in the middle of it when you called me... Alright... Yes sir.... Yes sir... over and out." he turned back to her. "That was my boss, sorry. He wants me to escort you home after we finish up here. A couple of members of the Watch will be here to collect these assholes." he looked to the knocked out men. "So yeah if you could just show me your license we can get out here." he smiled again. Nash always did his best to be nice to those he met on a case or incident, the Watch always got a bad rap for being to aggressive with people.

As the train came to slow at the next station a voice came over the intercom "Ladies and gentleman please exit the train as we will be stopped for sometime under the order of the Watch. Thank you for riding with us today." The doors to the train car opened and standing on the other side were two people in gray trench coats, both on had very standard masks.

"Captain said you wrangled up some Union punks... good work rookie." A female voice spoke.

"Now escort the hunter home and get back to the station." A male voice rasped, sounding a bit older.

"Yes right away." Nash said and gave a small salute before walking off into the station with Akane.

As Akane got off with him something out of the corner of her eye would get her attention. Standing at the edge of a further off platform was a large hulking figure. His eyes nothing more the dead black sockets as he looked right at her... it was the android from all those weeks ago. Her shoulder where he had nearly popped her arm out of its socket started to ache with a phantom pain. Suddenly a train pulled up to the platform to let people on and off, then it sped away and the android was gone.

"Hey you okay?" Nash asked.

He was rather easy on the eyes, now that Akane had a moment to take in the man that came to her aid, with darkened spiked hair and light irises that popped from the dark coloration of hair and clothes that adorned him. Her arms came to gently loop around her middle, the sleek sheen of metal crossing over the pale flesh of the other. “Nash Reevs… I’ll remember that.” Her grey irises would wander to that of the creature once more and it brought a lightened grin upon her lips, even more so as he was fed some sort of treat, looking rather satisfied before gulping whole and settling back down upon his master’s shoulder. “Oh wow, he’s quite something. I’ve never come across such an animal,” she said softly, admiring, for she missed the tranquil wildlife of her forest, this really being the first interaction she’s had with an animal to remind her of such.

Eyes glanced down then where she’d been cut, but nothing a bandage wouldn't fix. Appearing appreciative, she gave a little nod of her head. “Just a scratch. I’ve definitely had worse.” Though that wasn’t exactly something she liked to think about. Subconsciously she fidgeted, the flesh of her right hand coming to rest upon the attachment of the mechanical arm, feeling a dull throb, just as she would after training. She probably should take it easy on the thing for the rest of the night.

With her attention returning to the man who had an air of formality about him, she tilted her head quizzically, offering him a light grin, seeming a little withdrawn than she usually was, but that was because she was mostly comfortable and used to speaking with Ryoshi and him alone. Though the lightened expression upon Nash’s face made him seem… inviting. Which at least made her not shell up completely. “I grew up learning to fight. From my people. Hunting kirioni just seemed… within the realm of my capabilities when I left them.” Though there was more of a story behind that than she thought she could tell him in surely what would be minutes she would spend in his company. Though with them being gone, she didn’t know how important it was anyway. As long as she remembered, that was what she deemed important. His next question would freeze her up though, looking confused and reaching up to pull nervously at the loose ponytail at the nap of her neck. “Um.. I.D.?”

A softened sigh drifted out from her nose, eyes cast aside as he turned his back to her to answer the call on his communicator. Ryoshi never mentioned anything about such things… and she figured she was now more than likely about to find more trouble since she didn’t have one, all because of the metal replacement for her damn missing arm…. Fingers would lightly tuck a piece of misplaced charcoal hair behind her ear, returning gaze to the Nash who once more was asking for documentation of which she didn’t have. Her pink lips kneaded nervously into a thin line. “No, that’s quite alright. I… well… that’s unnecessary, but appreciated.” Eyes flickered to the thugs upon the floor still and she let out a little huff from her nose. Good riddance.

“I, uh, well, would there be a problem if I wasn’t in possession of one…?” She asked softly, hearing the voice over the intercom, though she didn’t know if she would be heading home now right this moment or not, but reached to quickly claim her bag of certainly hard earned groceries before she forgot them. The damn things were becoming more effort than they were worth… hopefully Ryoshi was thankful. She did think perhaps an explanation was in order. “I haven’t been here long. My friend and I are just passing through… well we were supposed to, but I was injured and I’ve been recovering since.” Teeth pulled lightly at her bottom lip whilst the apprehension remained in eyes. “If you’re… escorting me home anyhow, I’m staying at the hotel next to the hospital in this district. I’m sure the doctor tending to me would be able to confirm… if that would help?”

Though she didn’t get to hear his response right away since the door opened and she nearly stepped into two beings wearing masks that obscured their faces. Startled, she jumped back and nearly dropped her bag, it being a bit of a reflex to grab for a weapon once more that she didn’t have, but gladdened that she didn’t manage to make a scene when they spoke to the man beside her. After a quick exchanged, they walked passed and she stuck by Nash’s side, with fingers gripping her bag a little tighter than necessary. “Not to… deflect the situation or anything, but… what is the Watch exactly? You… protect these people?” That is what she gained, but it seemed official in some way and she was rather interested in such a thing. No smaller village or anything of the sort had something like that, though she figured it would probably be useful. Plenty of thugs and criminals in the world and too many people that can’t defend themselves.

Though her attention would once more be snagged by something that had her heart nearly stall in her chest. For a split second, she witnessed the shimmer of metal, hard to miss she thought, but the lifeless darkened orbs that she swore stared daggers into her and made her blood run cold. A split second it was there and then it was gone and she had goosebumps trailing up both arms and down her legs. Did she just imagine it…? How could she? But how did everyone else seem to miss it… or perhaps it was normal for a giant android to be running amuck in this city. A lightened quirk of her brow signaling the discomfort in her arm, but that would be the only telling, though it seemed this Nash character was sharp and seemed to pick up on her distress.

Lips parted to speak, but closed again, swallowing hard before she looked to him. She didn’t know whether she should run to lose this man, figuring it could possibly save his life, but also figured that wouldn’t look good for her. And she also was in not condition for further fighting, not if she wanted the progress of her arm to start going backward. Basic movements were a thumbs up, but Brenner warned her about fighting. It could cause too much strain on the connection and stress for the micro technology allowing her to control it… She felt trapped, and the emotion was reflected in her eyes.

“No… please, can we leave?” she asked, nearly pleaded as her feet began to naturally carry her toward the hospital. The android knew she was there anyway, but she didn’t exactly wish for it to know where she lived… or if they ran into Ryoshi…

Shit.

“Excuse me, I’m sorry, just one second,” she said as her feet began to carry her faster, assuming the man could keep up after her. She still didn’t know what to do about him, but right now it hardly mattered. She needed to warn Ryoshi.

“Come on come on… pick up…!” She murmured under her breath, but all she received from her comm was static. Thinking ahead, she was careful not to say his name, knowing his comm could record conversation. She would leave him a message and her voice would carry it softly but urgently. “That thing is back… it may be following me. But you damn well better stay inside and out of sight. Got it?” It didn’t know where he was or even that they were connected at this point. Unless it had been following her for longer than she was able to pick up on. Still, then why would it be following her instead of going after Ryoshi.

Well… if she now didn’t look even more suspicious in the eyes of the man at her side. She rose eyes to him, seeing him still trailing after, but looking rather concerned. “I can’t explain now. I just… need to get back to the hospital.”

• Love
"You don't have an ID and you're a hunter? You must not be local then where are you from?" he raised an eyebrow as they walked. "Yes the Watch protect people from crime within the city, and occasionally we go out into the hills or the plains to help those in need." Nash explained. "Sorry is something wrong?" he looked back to where she had been and saw nothing. "H hey wait!" he chased after her. "Kaza eye in the sky keep after her!" he ordered and the drake took off over head. "Why are we running!" he called out. "Okay, but you better tell me whats going on!"

Once they were inside the hospital Nash grabbed Akane "What is going on here! You have five seconds to explain before I arrest you."
-----

The rain that had once gently peppered the city streets was now kicking up into a heavy storm. Thunder clapped and lightning cracked over the city like a whip. People took cover where ever they could: bars, cafes, houses, shops, anywhere they could stay dry. However, the frantic running of a mans shoes could be heard slapping against the wet pavement, echoing off the buildings. His white suit soaking through as the cold rain pelted him. His brown hair stuck to his face as he gasped for air while running. "Fuck..." he muttered under his breath as he kept turning down every street he could, hoping to lose his purser. The city was like a ghost town as everyone hid from the rain.

Behind him heavy footsteps were giving chase, calculated, persistent, unrelenting. The hunter followed his pray, the rain doing nothing to slow him down, the water almost seemed to move around him. "You will not escape." he murmured.

The man in the suit kept running until his lungs started to burn. He just kept going until "Fuck me!" a dead end. The alley lead into a construction site. It looked like a large building was going up. Half of it was complete already and the other half was still nothing but a frame. It was late so no one was around, the man quickly dashed in and started climbing up the scaffolding. His body wouldn't let him stop moving he had to get as far away as he could from that fucking hunter. Finally he made it to the top floor which was nothing more the half a concrete floor, and some steel I beams. The man collapsed to his knees and started taking in gulps of air. Rain soaked him to the bone and thunder rang in his ears but he didn't care, he'd stay up there all night if he had to. He pulled a gun for his jacket pocket and just pointed it out into the darkness. "You ain't gonna take me without a fight you fuck." he swore, but really everything in his body told him to keep running.

A few moments later the faint glow of two deep blue lights appeared only a few feet away from the man. His heart stopped cold unable to tear his eyes away from the glow.

*CRACK!* Lightning lit up the sky in a flash of white, and in that brief moment the hunter was lit up. His black silhouette painted against the white light. *BANG!* The man fired his gun in the few seconds he saw the hunter... then darkness came again. The glow of the blue lights were gone, did he get him? The mans eyes strained to see in the dark frantically searching the ground hoping to see a body. *CRACK!* Another streak of lightning hit the sky and what the man saw made the blood in his body run cold.The face of a demon looked down on him, it's red eyes piercing his own. He fell to the ground and scrambled backwards as far has he could, before hitting the edge. "Please I'll give you anything you want! I'll pay ya double whatever the Watch is!" he begged.

*CRACK!* Another spark of lightning went off, the hunter drew a long red blade. The rain rolled off his wide brimmed hat and down off his cloak as he slowly stepped towards the man. "Conner Smith you have ruined countless lives." The hunters voice was deep and gruff. "You have stolen, sold drugs, and even killed for what you have now. I hope it was worth it." The hunter brought up his sword, ready to cut the thug down, when a voice called out.

"Ryoshi stop! This isn't how we do things anymore!" A man soon came up, catching his breath, and shined a light on the two. "We have to take him in custody and try him. We don't just kill people anymore."

1610958416502.png

Ryoshi looked down at the thug for a very long time, almost judging him, "Fine just his trigger fingers then." In one swift swing the thugs pointer fingers were cut clean off. The man howled in pain as Ryoshi sheathed his blade. He walked over to the man with the flash light "Be quick Marco or he might bleed out. I'll be waiting at my hotel for the bounty." he said and kept walking back down into the rain soaked streets. He noticed his communicator was flashing and listened to Akanes message. "Fuck... So Sharp is here..." he said before taking off back toward the hospital.

Oh good… perhaps she was just fine then to not have what this man of authority was asking from her. She breathed out a relieved breath and clutched her bag of groceries closer about her stomach. “Not local, no. I’m… well… long story, but I’m originally from a village far east in the mountains. Though I’ve been… living the life of a nomad for awhile, I suppose is the easiest way to say it.” Most hunters like her and Ryoshi did, otherwise they couldn’t hope to make as much money as they needed to survive. Bounties dried up quickly in smaller areas, so it was best to wander looking for jobs instead of remaining in one place.

She seemed to perk at the information Nash offered her. It wasn’t much, but enough to peak her interest. They were… kind of like hunters. Though their quarry was different being that of other humans instead of creatures and beasts. Though their nature was not too different… causing havoc and making life hard for those living around them. Arguably, the job would be very similar. Though she wasn’t sure if their goal was to kill the pursued in the end. That also may be different. “In the years I’ve been traveling about, I’ve seen many people in need of aid. That is… good to hear. That some people listen to that call for help.” To have people looking after one another… she wished someone would have been there to help prevent the carnage of her village and people. Though the fact that they wished to be isolated and left alone didn’t exactly help their situation.

She would be unable to dwell on the topic anyhow, for nearly a second later she was given a fright with the cyborg bounty hunter appearing almost as if magic across the metro railway. She nearly choked on her heart as it jumped into her throat, and her reaction was immediate.

She wished to get away as quickly as possible.

Without giving the officer a warning of any kind, she began dashing away, though she had been expecting him to follow… he was supposed to be her escort after all. Yet, she would not be as fast as usual. Whereas she was usually very nimble and much like a deer darting through trees, the time she spent recovering in bed after the accident took its toll on her body. The therapy was helping of course, but she was far from being up to par. After a few blocks already her pounding feet had slowed in pace, her chest rising and falling with her hard breathing while she desperately hugged her bag of groceries for they were now like a prized possession after the mess this outing has gotten her into!

“Can — Can talking wait—?” she huffed through labored breaths, hearing the pounding of his feet not too far behind her. Though it wasn’t much of a trip at all after the metro to get to the hospital, for it was only smart to have such a place next to the busiest public transportation service around. Though instead of heading into the actual hospital, she made a quickened turn to the building right beside it, the place her and Ryoshi were staying while they remained in the city. Shaking fingers grabbed at a key in her back pants pocket, hefting the front door to the establishment open for feet to swiftly continue to carry her to her room, though it appeared the man named Nash could not wait further.

Before she could even place a booted foot upon the first stair, his hand grabbed her in a secure grip, making her wince because of the pull on her prosthetic. “Ow—! Do you mind??” She retorted near immediately, but he didn’t seem to take the hint and therefore did not let go, which basically left her stuck once more, for she didn’t feel like struggling to rip her arm from his grip would do it much good either. “Wha - What is wrong with you?! I thought you were supposed to help people!” She angrily shrilled at him, though the tremor was still apparent in voice and body as whatever she had seen had spooked her. Though instead of relenting his grip only seemed to tighten of which had her settling her temper as quickly as possible… though she was rather offended by the way he was treating her like a criminal after what she’d been through in the past half hour.

Still trying to catch her breath, she took a couple gulps of air before lowering her voice to a more appropriate level. "My room is just upstairs. Please…. can we talk there? I don’t feel safe here.” Even as she spoke her eyes peered over his shoulder to see whether or not there would be vicious black pits staring back at her from a particularly grotesque looking metal face. The mental image made her shiver.

"Fine... but you better not pull anything over on me." he narrowed his eyes and let go. They went up stairs and the apartment was dark, empty, cold, just the sound of rain hitting the window. "Okay tell me... who are you running from?" Nash asked. "Sorry for grabbing you..."

-----

Ryoshi was running as fast as he could back to the hospital hoping that Akane was okay. "God damn it Sharp..." he grit his teeth. A flash back to his past, screams, fire, and the cold dead sockets of a person he once trusted.

-----
"SHARP PUT THE GUN DOWN! PUT DOWN YOUR FUCKING CANNON!" A younger Ryoshi stood in the middle of a burning firescape of twisted metal and burning wood. In front of him was a half burned and banged up android. "SHARP COME ON!"

"Im n n not h human...." Sharp said as he looked at his black metallic hands. His voice was hallow, raspy, like his voice box had been broken. "I'm not human and you fucking new!" Sharp screamed as he lifted his arm cannon and fired a beam of bright burning energy at Ryoshi. The man dodged out of the way and started running toward the robot. In one quick clean motion the swordsman cut the cannon clean off, it fell to the ground with a large THUD. "My arm... that didn't even hurt.... I can't feel anything."

"Please Sharp no more, let us help you." Ryoshi begged but kept his sword out.

"No one can help me Ryoshi... You've helped me enough! You made me see what I really am!" He grabbed Ryoshi by the collar. "I'm built to kill and your my next target. Don't let me see you again, friend." he pushed him off and walked off into the flames of the burning building.

-----
Ryoshi ran up to the apartment door and thrust it open. He stood in the dark door frame, rain dripping off the brim of his hat, and saw a stranger standing with Akane. He drew his blade "Back away now." he ordered.

Nash spun around and pulled his gun out and trained it on the hunter "City Watch don't move, weapon on the ground! Kaze ready flame!" Kaza's neck started to burn and glow.

"Akane who the fuck is this!" Ryoshi called out.

“I won’t,” Akane spoke, more in control of her emotion in the moment, though her voice held a tinge of bitterness for being handled as such. Taking her arm back with a bit of a jerk to show her disapproval, she then eased a hand upon the joint and gave it a little roll. It was sore… and Brenner was good at spying whether or not she overdid things. More than likely she would hear an earful tomorrow about how she needed to be more careful.

Traversing up the stairs and down the hall and feeling as though Nash were breathing down her neck, she punched in the code to her door with nimble fingers and opened the door wide, just so there wasn’t a worry for him that she was attempting to lock him out. She dramatically gestured for him to come in with a puff of a frustrated sigh through nose as she eased her back of groceries onto the counter, turning to meet the man’s gaze with the only light dimly coming in from the window, white, purple, and blue from a neon street sign across the way while the rain pitter pattered against the glass and left watery streaks.

She seemed reluctant at first, eyes dropping to the ground as his voice seemed a bit harsh in asking his questions, once more spurring a tiny flame of anger in her, but in the next moment his voice softened the smallest bit in an attempt to utter an apology. Slowly her eyes trailed back upward a bit unsurely before she gave a little shake of her head and peeled her sodden jacket from her arms and over a chair to dry. “Perhaps if I was not acting so suspiciously I wouldn’t of warranted it,” she spoke softly in return, though seeming a bit more calm now that she was inside a place where she felt relatively safe. Bending to throw open a cupboard, she pulled out a small box, it housing very simple items for treating wounds, something she always carried with her in her bag while traveling.

She could feel the splotch upon her tank where the blood oozed from a wound in her middle, a mere scratch, but deep enough that it would probably leave a lightened scar upon her skin. “A metal man is looking for my friend,” she said simply as though it was the most common thing to say. She took out a cotton pad and pressed it to the wound and stuck it to herself with ribbons that were sticky on one side, surrounding the cloth bandage. “Somehow it knows our connection. It assaulted me when I woke up after surgery… but I haven’t seen it since. I figured it found a different target, but I just saw it at the metro station,” she explained and eased a hip against the counter after shuffling her shirt back down once her wound was taken care of. “So… I just… got a little spooked is all—”

She heard the pounding of feet… should have saw it coming, but she didn’t until Ryoshi man handled the door nearly off its hinges and angled his blade at Nash. If she wasn’t worried about Ryoshi skewering the man she would have slapped her forehead with a groan. “Ryoshi—!” She began but then Nash pulled his weapons and that had her about ready to pull her hair out!!

“Just… can you both just… pause?!” She shrilled and bustled herself to stand between the two males with arms extended outward before blood was spilled in her goddamn room! “Ryoshi, put it down! — Nash, fucking put it down!” Perhaps she had no right to speak that way to one of this… city watch, but she had about had enough for one day. “I’ll happily explain if the both of you put your damn weapons down!” She told Ryoshi sharply, though she supposed she also didn’t help by leaving the message that she did on his comm.

After it was apparent they weren’t going to kill each other, Akane moved to Ryoshi and snagged his arm to pull him into the room before shutting the door and locking it behind her. She eased a hand down her face with a sigh before looking to Ryoshi with relief in her eyes. “I was worried about you. You wouldn’t answer your comm,” she told him before casting a glance toward Nash. “This is Nash, and his companion Kaza. I… ran into a bit of trouble on the metro. Nash helped me,” she explained before looking at the man who at least had stopped his pet from setting her rented room aflame… “Nash, this is the friend I was talking about. The one the metal man is after.”

It was awhile before Ryoshi put his sword away and Nash put down his gun. "Did know they were allowing kids into the Watch." Ryoshi chuckled.

"Ha ha very funny, can you take off your mask sir?" Nash huffed.

"Nope." Ryoshi said bluntly and pushed past the kid, to turn on a light.

"Excuse me an officer of the Watch told you to remove your mask." he scowled.

"Well judging by how you hold that gun, the rubber bullets you have loaded, and how easy you are to set off... you're a rookie." He took his hat off and then his cloak.

Nash blushed and crossed his arms "Whatever."

"So what kind of trouble did you get in Akane? Why did you need a rookie Watcher to come save you?" he paused for a second and let out a long sigh. "Were you fighting? Damn it Akane you know what the doctor said about fighting! What if your arm malfunctioned and you hurt yourself or worse someone else! It could have popped off and would be shit out of luck! I guess I should be thankful Nash came a long when he did!" He was scolding her like a father would his daughter.

"Hang on hang on! She helped me." Nash tired to interrupt.

"You shut up! You Akane tell me what happened. Why did you leave me a message saying Sharp was following you?" He pointed at her.

Oh boy… these two were going to drive her to drinking in this damn city. Eyeing both of them with her stormy gray irises, she would not relent until both weapons were put away. Giving a little roll of her eyes and a muttering of children… under her breath, she placed herself against the counter once more, small of back pressing against the edge while her good arm gently rubbed the tender socket of the synthetic other.

Though that didn’t necessarily stop the bickering, to which she let it go for that short moment before she sighed and cleared her throat, as though to signal this is not why either of them were here. To goad each other and try to prove who’s testosterone levels were higher than the other. “Excuse… gentlemen. Can we behave?” she asked finally while her eyes took a quick glance over her synthetic arm. She wasn’t a mechanic by any means, but usually if there was fluid of any sort leaking out, whether of her own or synthetic from the arm, that really wasn’t a great sign. But all seemed in order, so at least she could be content about that. Just sore.

Eyes then turned a bit shyly toward Ryoshi, half knowing what was to come, but she hoped he could be at least somewhat reasonable. A slight flicker of a flame in her gut as Ryoshi began had her narrowing her eyes at him. As though he had forgotten that if she were to get into any sort of trouble it would be hard for her to defend herself in her current state. Only for the next moment for him to begin scolding her for trying to do so!! The flame quickly became a roaring fire as her temper flared to look at him with a sort of incredulous expression.

“Wha—What the fuck, Ryoshi!” She exclaimed and felt her cheeks go a bit red in her frustration. She huffed and looked away from him with a scowl on her face, pushing breath out through her lips to blow a stray piece of charcoal colored hair out of her eyes. She waited, knowing he was impossible like this and decided to wait until he was done scoring her like a goddamn adolescent.

“It wasn’t like I had much of a goddamn choice, Ryoshi! It was either I fought the thugs or they were just going to rip off my arm and take it anyway!!” She shrilled, and as if on cue felt a sharp pang of soreness, warranting a frown and to begin rubbing the socket once more. An exasperated sigh left her and she gave a shake of her head. Might as well start from the beginning.

“Fucking thugs liked the look of my arm. They threatened me so I fought them. And Nash helped. Simple as that.” Easing a strand of hair behind her ear, the other matter was this… Sharp character. She didn’t know the mech had a name or that Ryoshi knew of him personally. He’d never said anything when she mentioned it before… seemed to just blow it off. “Because I thought he was,” she said simply. “I saw him at the metro… he was looking right at me. So I ran and tried to warn you. But… I don’t know if he actually followed us. I didn’t see him after that little glimpse.” She left out the part where the hero next to her treated her as though she'd done wrong... Pausing for a moment, she looked between Nash and then to Ryoshi once more, tilting her head slightly in curiosity.

“Who is Sharp, Ryoshi? You never told me you knew this guy.”

Ryoshi let out a long sigh "Sharp was... he was my best friend and, at the time, my right hand man for helping mess with Trillium." Ryoshi went to the couch, switched on a small light, and took out a cigarette.

Nash sighed "If you'll excuse me I need to be going." He gave Akane his card, it had his radio ID on it. "Call me if you need help, have a good night." the man went to the door and left back out into the rain.

"He's a real keeper huh?" Ryoshi chuckled. His mask unfolded and he took it off, then lit up his cigarette. He took a long drag and motioned for Akane to sit down. He reached back and opened one of the old dirty windows to let his smoke escape out of. The cold night air bit into the warm room, bits of rain splattered against the inside windowsill. "But yes we were both members from the same company and we both wanted to see it taken down. "At the time I had no idea he was a machine and neither did he. He was smart and calculated in how he went out his assignments... called it a gift. It was like he could see into the future and see every possible outcome. The thing is for as cold and calculated as he could be Sharp was warm and kind to the ones he cared about." Ryoshi took a long drag and exhaled toward the window. "Like one time we were destroying Trillium outposts and we got to our last one. We planted bombs all over the place and we set the timers and started them... then this little girl some how wondered off the street and near the front gates of outpost. With out a second though Sharp ran towards her, made it just in time, and covered her up... the bombs went off and I thought for sure he was dead. The explosion tore into his back we're talking shrapnel, rock, wood, and then it sent him flying probably thirty feet passed me. I ran to him... but he had a pulse... and in his arms was the little girl unharmed. She was crying from the shock but not a scratch on her. Later that night we found her family and returned her, and Sharp was sent to medical back out our base." he took another long drag before putting the butt out in an ashtray.

He stood up and started taking off his armor piece by piece. "That night is when we found out what exactly Sharp was. An android built by Trillium to be the perfect killing machine. See the skin on his back was all torn away from the explosion leaving nothing but his metallic body to look at. We had the techies look him over figure out why he defected with me.... with us. Turns out the signal chip in his brain was broken so Trillium couldn't command or find him. So we just never told him.... his skin grew back on its own over night. He asked what had happened and I just told him a rock hit his back from the explosion and knocked him out." He sighed as the last of his armor came off. He lit another cig and started to smoke again.

"One mission we attacked an ammo dump and thats where everything went wrong. Something happened that caused everything to go off. That idiot covered me as the building went up in a burst of flames, I guess he thought her could could protect me from what was pretty much a giant bomb going off... and for the most part he did. Ended up with a pretty bad cut across my shoulder, but he saved me. Then he found out what he was, the explosion had all but torn his skin off now he was just the hulking frame of some machine. He didn't understand what was happening and something in him broke, he went out of control trying to kill me blaming me for not telling him. So I cut off his arm and we went separate ways... but I think he's only been kindling his hatred for me over the years." Ryoshi took a long drag.

Confusion crossing her face, Akane’s attention swiveled from Ryoshi to the rookie cop Nash has he suddenly held out his card for her and announced his leave. “I… sure. Thanks.” Went from zero to one hundred that guy… than back to zero. But perhaps, these would be matters they would need to discuss with a more experienced member of the watch. She remembered the two men they met on the way out of the metro. He had to report… back to wherever he was supposed to after seeing her safety back home. Perhaps that was his reasoning for his spontaneous exit, when he seemed rather determined to book her and drag her to the station himself just minutes ago.

“I’m not sure what to think of him,” Akane said honestly with a sigh and haphazardly tossed his card given onto the table in front of the couch. She didn’t think she’d be needing it anytime soon.

Smoothing frazzled dark strands from her face, she caught the gesture from Ryoshi and would come lightly place herself at his side with attentive ears… no matter how much he was frustrating her in the moment. She thought twice about cooking for the grumpy man now… but she already went to the trouble of grabbing the ingredients so she figured she might as well.

But first, a story.

And a tragic one at that. Easing fingers into her lap, she watched with attentiveness, expression morphing as the story progressed to eventually hold one of sympathy but also equal frustration. She shook her head slowly and let out a soft sigh as her fingers tightened upon one another. “It doesn’t make sense… wasn’t like you created him or manipulated him in any way. You just allowed him to live a life,” Akane said softly, eventually reaching upward to rub the back of her neck. “After all you’ve been through, you would have thought the friendship meant more.” But perhaps her view of bond and friendship was much different.. just like everything else about her. Apparently living in a small community in the mountains hasn’t done her any favors when it came to understanding the outside world.

“What do we do? Will he continue to come after you if we just leave?” For this is the first time she’s heard of this man anyhow. It didn’t seem as though Ryoshi has had a problem with him in… what seemed like many years. So perhaps, if they went on their way, Sharp would leave Ryoshi alone. “We can find another place to go. Where I can finish recouping and learning how to function with this damnable thing,” she muttered with a sharp look at her metal arm. Seemed as though it liked to cause issues, especially as of late.