Iron and Rain

'Wait to go idiot, why did you ask that!'

"S sorry I didn't mean to bring up such bad memories." he gave a nervous smile. "Let's try something a little lighter hm? What do you like Akane? Books? Art? Movies? I know the ladder can be hard to come by out in the wild, but I'm a sucker for a good movie. Crimson Cowboy by Jack Runner is one of my absolute favorites! It's about this outlaw who fights for those who can't fight for themselves, but he was cursed by a witch early in life. See his blood is his weapon, and keeping with the motif, he uses it as a six shooter. Problem is you only have some much blood in your body, the more you lose the more likely you are to pass out. So the cowboy has to be careful how he uses it which leads him to use cunning tactics to trap his enemies and finish them off that way. Such a good movie!" he smiled.

-------------------------

The evening went on and the two talked well past their meal it was only when Nash looked at the clock did he realize. "Hey we should get going if we want to make it to the caves, I'd like to get you there before it gets to be to late." he stood up after paying the bill. He helped her up out of her chair and they walked back out to the car. Small streams of water ran down the gutters in the streets as the rain continued to fall. They got inside his car and they were off! "So after a meal like that how do you feel?" he laughed a little. "I'm gonna have to hit the gym a few times after this." he smiled. It didn't take long before they pulled into a ratty looking parking lot near one of the city walls, the only thing around was a run down shack. "I'll be right back." Nash said as he got out and into the ran. He ran into the shack and was in there for quite sometime before he came back out drenched in rain. He opened her car door and offered a hand "You ready? Had to make she they didn't close the entrance off."

Once inside the shack there was a manhole that looked like it lead into the sewers, but Nash insisted it was alright. Once inside didn't take long to see why it was called the Rainbow Moss Caves. Nash was right too it was dry and warm if not a little humid down here. "Beautiful isn't is?"

1625458706242.png
(Note: There are no holes in the roof of the cave. Imagine all the flowers and such are lit up in all kinds of bioluminescent colors)

She almost pitied the poor male, for it had to be awfully boring trying to converse with someone that came from… such a primal living. What did she like…? Surviving. Fighting, sleeping, not bleeding… Books though? Art? Movies? She didn't know anything about that. Things they were terribly mundane or things that she felt her money would be rather worthless to spend on. Not when her gear constantly needed maintenance or when she sometimes needed a warm and dry place to sleep.

Yet, she did not get snippy with Nash. Instead, he seemed to be a rare sort of window into a life that she'd never had the luxury to live. She liked to learn… that was one thing she liked. A curious mind was what she always had and despite all of the trauma, it seemed unaltered within her personality. He was a bit hyper… sort of all over the board really especially with how he's evolved from their first encounter. Still, she found that she didn't mind, enjoying the fact that she could listen to him yap about some old movie she had not a clue about, but it was the life in his eyes that intrigued her from talking about something so simple. Speaking about it as though it were his own life that he lived, so real despite it being… fake? Maybe that wasn't the right word, but either way, it was… quirky. She liked it.

Not to mention it took off the pressure of her really having to say anything at all… She felt like a terrible bore compared to Nash. If he was bothered by her lack of voice in the conversation though, he didn't seem bothered, merely content to fill in the silence when she didn't know what to say, to keep it moving, and for that he was rewarded with a look of admiration from her. Merely a glance over her wine glass as it was tipped to be emptied once more between the red of her lips. He wasn't so bad… he really wasn't. Not half bad looking either… easy on the eyes…

Whooa well that was rather uncharacteristic of her… She'd blame the wine!

They'd eat till they couldn't take another bite, and the wine was too good to be left in that bottle so… they polished that off as well. And by the end of it, Akane was properly giggly and pleasantly red in the cheeks. If she had any worried weighing her down… they certainly weren't within reach at the moment. Light as a feather. "Pssh. Late. I'm a grown woman, Nash. On some nights…" She looked around like it was a secret before leaning in close to him to speak with a lowered voice, "… I don't even sleep at all." She laughed pleasantly at her own joke and didn't hesitate to take his hand to be helped out of her seat to then follow beside him like a loyal lamb.

The rain didn't bother her a bit and she merely gave her head a little shake to disperse the raindrops within her hair before leaning back in her seat, looking content. "I feel great, actually, it was a really nice place. Not to mention I haven't had a meal like that in… well… I don't even know how long." It wasn't like her or Ryoshi were great cooks. Ryoshi's signature dish was… charcoal with a side of charcoal… but she wasn't much better. Merely cooked things to be edible and whatever it tasted like is what they got. But it at least taught her to not be picky…

She laughed softly along with him, just because his own seemed rather contagious. "Hit the gym? Who's gym?" she asked with a tilt of her head. She glanced down to her own stomach that looked rather unaltered in the black dress, giving the flatness a little pat. "I feel like if anything I'm getting caught up. Recovering for so long as still left me a big weak." While not barbaric, she did put away a hefty amount of the food given to them, perhaps more than what was typical of a normal woman, but it wasn't like she understood what being *normal was anyway.

"Mmkay." She didn't know what he was going to go do, but she seemed content to sit in the care and wait, merely watching the raindrops as they fell upon the window and gazing out at the pretty lights. Perhaps he was gone longer than she noticed, but it certainly didn't seem long before he came back to get her. "You're soaking," she commented with a soft chuckle and flicked a bit of his dark hair from his forehead after having stepped out of the car, but was rather quick to take his hand in both of hers once more, walking in step beside him, not so embarrassed of these sorts of actions further, but that's what alcohol did to people. It just took the nerves and jitters away.

"Why do they close the entrance off?" she asked as they walked and finally came to a manhole. She rose a brow lightly and gave him a curious eye, all in good fun as she let go of his hand to begin her decent. "Is this where I find out you take unknowing women on dates and then to an obscure location later to kill them?" Not that she's been on many dates, but… to be climbing down a manhole in her fancy dress certainly felt a little weird, even to her. She laughed easily to express her humor, feeling like even if Nash was sort of psyhco, she'd have a decent chance against him anyhow. She wasn't worried. But then again she wasn't worried about many things at the moment!

But instead of stepping down into a dark, creepy, and blood crusted sewer with the remnants of dead bodies, they came to a larger open cavern that glittered with different colors of light, enchanting really and just like Nash had described. They may have been wet, but the air in this cave felt entirely… dry. Just like Nash had said! Strange for something that apparently grew moss everywhere, for she thought it only grew in slick moist areas! If she had been chilly at all, the air of the caves took it away, it almost feeling like… like a constant cozy hug! She didn't notice it at first, but there was an easy smile etched into her lips as she took in the grand nature of the place. She'd seen… many things… but nothing like this.

"It is. It's… wow… I've never seen anything like it." Much more pleasant than the monster holes she sometimes found herself having to go in…

She turned back to him then, her dark eyes practically sparkling in the brilliance of the light offered by the plants and glitters from the cavern walls. "Can we explore a bit?" she asked while reaching to take his hand into hers again, as if ready to tug him along even if he said no! He couldn't get her out of this place that easily.

Reactions: Tone 6th
"It's closed off because we haven't fully explored the cave system yet, once we know its safe we might open it to the public. Until then Akane... maybe this could be our get away hm?" he smiled.

"You're a dork dude...."

He could help but smile with her as her expression lit up, it was so genuine... cute even. Akane was such a captivating person, she was beautiful, kind, intelligent, and exciting. She seemed to have some pain he could relate to and maybe just maybe he could open up to her about it. He took her hand and smiled "Yes lets, but not to far okay? There could be bandits still down here some where and I don't want you getting hu-" he looked at her machine arm and smiled. "Fuck it yeah lets go!" he ran with her out into the neon field of glowing plants.

As they ran bits of moss and leaves filled the air and it was like glowing rain was floating all around them, a breath taking sight to be sure. Nash watched Akane smile as they ran and couldn't help but be over taken by a feeling that was hard to put into words. He had seen a few girls in his past but nothing ever lasted, Akane.... she felt different... something inside him wanted to make her feel happy. He wanted to take away the pain she felt if only for an evening and replace it with joy. "Here come on I want to show you something." he smiled and pulled her along as they ran hand in hand. They kept running until they came to the mouth of a large cavern "Close your eyes I've got you." he grabbed her other hand and lead her for a short distance into the cavern. "So I found this place on one of my patrols and I haven't told anyone yet." he spoke as they stopped. "Okay open your eyes."

1626853648466.png
What was in front of her was a huge crystal lined cave. Crystals of all colors, shapes, and size exploded out of the ground, walls, and ceiling. They all seemed to give off their own light, each were dim but as a group they were radiant. Small pools of pure, clear, cool water filled in the spaces the gems couldn't. They must have come from deeper underground as the cave ceiling was dry. The last thing Akane would notice was how pure and clean the air was in here. Surface air was humid and cold, but down here the air had just a touch of warmth to it. "Akane.... I...." he turned to her and looked her in the eye. He had fear in his eyes, but it wasn't terror... he was nervous. He closed his eyes and the world seemed to fall away as he leaned in to kiss her hoping she would feel the same.

• Sweet
Reactions: Megasis
Our get away. Something for her and Nash? It felt strange but… not in the worst of ways. "It's certainly a nice recluse… much better than being cooped up in my apartment," she had to admit with a softened chuckle, looking to him with a brightness in her dark irises. "I think I'd like that." And to spend more time with Nash? The longer she thought it over the more enticing it sounded.

He took her hand and began to lead her further into the tunnel, but began spouting about how there could be danger in this underground cavern and she couldn't help but raise a dark eyebrow at him with a look of amusement. She may be tipsy but she wasn't so far gone that she couldn't complete the sentence he nearly spoke. She was a walking weapon at this point. She could take care of herself and him on top of it all. Not that he needed, but she could if the need arose! She'd been about to send a playful jab his way, but he soon realized the error of his ways before it could be spoke, and she laughed as her fingers tightened around his own. "That's a better answer," she teased and obliged in taking up the space at his side as they goofed off like unruly younglings that didn't have any other cares in the world.

A couple times she tripped over the heels on her feet, not used to them and the uneven ground didn't exactly help either, so she shifted them off and held them in her free hand instead, feeling much more nimble and confident that she wasn't about to trip, fall on her face, and take Nash with her. Now she could focus on the sights, the pretty colors, and once in awhile the brightened look upon Nash's features that felt… almost refreshing to look upon. She wasn't such a bubbly person, much more opt to fall into the despair and turmoil of her own thoughts, but Ryoshi surprisingly enough was the one to start bringing her out of that shell. And now Nash nearly had her crawling out of it!

"Show me something?" Akane asked with a slight cheeky smirk, raising a brow as she giggled and easily followed after him. "Sounds suspicious… but my curiosity cannot be tamed." Her fingers were slow to lace with his, an action she initiated as her chest pulled with her elated breath, cheeks holding the gentle hue of pink in her exertion. But she felt good. Energized even. Her skin was just on the paler side and it was rather easy for it to take on that flushed look.

He told her to close her eyes, and she gave him a playful narrowing of eyes in suspicion once more, but did as he said all with a smile on her pretty pink lips. "Okay…"

I trust you.

The opposite hand was claimed and there was an eager buzzing in her guts that made it hard to keep her eyes closed for very long. Luckily, Nash didn't keep her waiting too long and soon said she could open her eyes - to be greeted with a surreal scene of beauty.

Her lips parted in her surprise, the pretty glimmer and sparkle of the crystals practically being reflected in her gray tinted orbs. They shone with a light that she didn't exactly comprehend where it came from, to then realize it was the same sort of glow that was emanating from the plants in the other room. The slow breath she drew in had to have been about the sweetest purity of air she'd ever taken into her lungs. She didn't exactly understand how she knew, but the residing feeling in her lungs was warm and comforting, like coming up for a long breath of air after a holding it beneath the water's surface for too long.

"Nash… I've never seen anything like this before," she spoke softly, as though she was afraid of disturbing the tranquil scene in front of her. She continued to marvel, finding it hard to tear her eyes away, but soon found another sight encompassed her gaze of equal wonder. The shuffle of his movement beside her was enough to catch the attention of her eyes and soon found it impossible to look away.

"Yes…?" she breathed, her insides dancing pleasantly and feeling, truly, in the moment, that she had nothing of which she had to worry about. This was the most carefree she's felt in… she didn't even know how long. Nearly wondering that if she were to let go of his hands that she'd simply float away. And that feeling would only multiply in strength as Nash, taller than her, bend downward in boldness to capture her lips in an innocent soft kiss.

Immediately she warmed, head to toe, with fuzzies beginning to tickle her insides while her heart suddenly felt as though it was about to beat itself out of her chest. Not knowing where her own boldness came from, she stepped closer to his form, pressing belly to belly as her fingers released themselves from his hands to then urge them to wrap around the curvature of her waist so her own could travel the expanse of his chest and around his neck to hold him closer.

It was a sweet embrace of lips, warm and secure, though in her bold nature she held this night, sought to deepen it slowly, making it more sensual while her fingertips explored the longer black strands of his hair. Once just a stranger, but finally feeling as though she could admit that he had wiggled his way onto a position of one that she could trust. She had to, in a moment of vulnerability like this. She... wanted to.

• Love
His heart fluttered as she returned his kiss with a passionate one of her own. He went deep red as she guided his hands to her hips, the heat in his face could probably be felt by Akane's own. Her hands on his chest made him melt but he did his best not to let out a small moan. He kissed her in return matching her own romantic energy pulling her hips in close, almost more of a hug. This beautiful women had started out nothing more then a victim on a train, though it was more then obvious now she could handle herself, and now he was head over heels for her. This feeling... it started in his stomach then took shape in his throat. He pulled away look deep into her eyes, still bright red, and the feeling came out of mouth three simple words "I love you." he offered an oblivious smile. Then the cold realization of what he said washed over him "No wait I'm sorry I meant I like you a lot!" took a second and let out a deep breath. "I'm sorry I don't know what came over me."

"YOU'RE BLOWING IT!"

"What I mean to say is would you want to go on another date some time?" he offered a nervous smile. He looked out to the crystal cave "I'd... really like to come back here with you Akane." he looked back to her, still holding her close.

--------

Ryoshi awoke from his sleep with a sharp sudden pain in his chest, it felt like someone had stabbed him. He quickly grabbed his sword only to realize he could barely breath. Then the coughing started, he knew what this was, and he ran to the bathroom slamming the door. The couching got worse and the pain was nearly to much to handle. He hung his head over the sink and kept desperately gasping for air between coughs. Crimson started to stain the dirty white porcelain bowl, as blood dripped off his lips. After a few more seconds the fit started to subside and he was left sliding down the wall panting and shaking. "Fuck...." he shakily whispered, and after a few minuets he got himself off the floor. He brushed this teeth and splashed some water on his face. He went to his bag and pulled out a small pill bottle that was about half full of white and orange pills. He quickly downed two and plopped back down on to the couch. "Akane can't know..." he whispered to himself as if it were a promise.

He looked around the bullet hole ridden apartment and sighed, then slowly got up to start fixing the place up as best as he could. The door was put back on its hinges, a few things moved around to try and cover the holes, buts that all he could mange. He looked down into the ally way dumpster where he left the bodies and they had already been taken "Strange...." the mob family had probably picked them up. He turned the tv on and laid back down on the couch, everything hurt as sleep soon took him, his face eclipsed by the blue light of the tv.

-------

The two love birds were on their way back, Nash was especially happy. They stopped in front of Akane's building "I had an amazing time tonight Akane, thank you so much." he smiled. He got out and went to her side of the car and opened her door for her, he kissed her one more time. "Oh do you need help upstairs?"

It was… an odd feeling for Akane. And truthfully in the moment, the flutter of her mind couldn't exactly comprehend what she was feeling. Perhaps it was still the wine, but it could have also been a high of happiness that she thought had long since died away within her. It was soft and sweet. This innocent sealing of lips that had a sort of giddiness budding to life within, like flowers blooming in spring.

For a moment she grew more bold, exploring this feeling with a deeper press of lips while fingers sought a new position, slinking upward and around his neck to prod sweetly at the softness of his dark hair. Perhaps pressed on by the bolder press of her hips being pulled into his by the strength of his arms. She found she could have allowed it to last till they couldn't properly breathe, but lips soon parted from hers and the dark irises were revealed from lids to gaze upward at him curiously, though a grin was spurred at the obvious red coloration of his face. Has he… never really done this before either? 

I love you.

A brightened tittering came from her, nearly cutting off his nervous babbling. He was lucky the wine was still offering a pleasant haze over her mind. Otherwise she may have just cut and run away from him in her nervousness at hearing such words. Instead, in the moment she found his nerves too charming to think it was more than a mistake in spoken word. "You apologize too much, Nash." Once more she giggled softly at him, but would end up taking a step once more toward him to close the space, sliding fingers to brush over the sculpt of jaw as eyes searched his innocently as though the sheen of them could tell her everything about this man and reveal to her the secrets of what she was feeling in the moment.

"I like you too. And… I liked this as well." A gentle pull at her lower lip before she soon leaned up on tip toes to offer him another slow kiss before pulling back, but allowing his arms to still be snagged around her waist. "And I most certainly would like to do this again."

◖◍◗​

Truthfully, she realized that she didn't want the night to end. It occurred to her when Nash brought his car to a stop and she was left looking at the clinic's residential building and realizing that she'd need to to soon say goodbye.

There wasn't much she loathed more than goodbyes. Bad things seemed to emanate from them.

And yet, her door was opened, and she took his offered hand to rise to her feet before finding herself nudged close once more against him for another sweet kiss. Seemingly in that moment, an idea occurred to her. As the seal of their lips was broken, she nearly spoke in tandem with him. "Can you stay?" A pause, and they merely looked at one another, as though both were wondering if they'd heard her correctly. "Will you stay…? With me?" she asked again, as though there was a creature inside her head that was making her blurt her silly desires.

And yet Nash didn't look at her as though she was acting ridiculous. Rather he looked upon her, eyes innocent, with the pad of thumb brushing over her cheek as he gave a silent nod to her request.

Hand in hand, Akane led the way to her and Ryoshi's shared apartment. Though she found it ridiculous that he refused another room just to save a bit of credits. The stubborn man also refused to have anything to do with the bed. Even when she offered that they merely switch off every other night so he could have some sort of decent night's rest while they were recouping here. But really she should have expected it of him. The damned stubborn samurai…

"This one," she spoke softly and reached to lightly comb back a lock of dark hair behind her ear, typing in their passcode before walking in with quiet steps. Her mind was still a bit hazy, but not so much so that she forgot Ryoshi would more than likely be sleeping on the couch. She saw him then, passed out on the shoddy cushions, highlighted in the light emanating from the television. That was a habit of his, she noticed. That he needed the noise to fall asleep. Often times she would hear him falling asleep to those holo-videos of his wife… it made her wonder how much sleep he was actually getting.

"Nash? My room is just down the hall and the bathroom is on the right. Help yourself to anything and I'll be there in a minute," she spoke beneath her breath, in a lulling gentle tone as she closed the door behind them and made sure it locked. While Nash went to make himself comfortable, she went over to Ryoshi to grab the blanket from the back of the second chair and softly draped it over his sleeping form while also taking the remote and lowering the volume on the tv so it wouldn't wake him. "Night, Ryoshi," she bid quietly before tiptoeing off to her room with heels already off and having been left by the front door.

Once in her room, she noticed Nash wasn't there and figured he must have went to the bathroom first. So while he was absent, she settled into the rumple of covers, still in disarray from the night before, straightening the blankets and for the first time realizing how small the bed was. Really only meant for one person, it was apparent, and she suddenly felt a little bit of embarrassment for even suggesting this in the first place. "Well shit…" she muttered and got to work bundling her dark hair in a stubby little pony at the back of her head and settling beneath the covers in her dress awaiting him.

• Sweet
She wanted him to come up... oh boy. Once inside he took off his coat and shoes and tossed them near the door. Once she told him where the bathroom was he quickly walked into it and closed the door. He turned on the sink and let out a long sigh "Okay okay you can do this, its just like the other times right?.... Fuck who am I kidding I've never been with a woman! I mean sure there have been dates but none really ended with kiss let alone.... Ugh!" he quickly splashed some water on his face and let out a small sigh. He looked at himself in the mirror "Look man just go in there and act cool, follow her lead." he dried off his face and left to head to Akane's room. He opened the door and smiled "Hey." he blushed a little. He came over to the bed which was admittedly pretty small, but he didn't care. He opened the covers up and snuggled up to her, admittedly very close to her, but he was still comfortable. He had to wrap his arm around her though, something he enjoyed quite a bit "I um had a lot of fun with you tonight Akane, thank you so much." he whispered. Then it hit him... how tired he was, how cozy she was, and the patter of the rain outside all made for a very sleepy Nash. "I'm just going to uh... rest... my eyes..." he yawn but quickly found himself fast asleep.

-------

The sound of heavy rain woke Nash and he smiled watching as Akane soon woke up too. "Hey..." he moved a strand of dark black hair from her forehead behind her ear. "Don't worry I'm still in my clothes." he laughed a little. "How did you sleep?" he kissed her. Though he had a huge goofy grin on his face "Tell me something Akane.... are you ticklish?" his hands quickly went for her stomach as he started to tickle her causing her to cry out in laughter.

The morning came with a roar of thunder that snapped Ryoshi from a nightmare he was reliving. His eyes darted around almost like this space wasn't where he went to sleep. He was sweating, breathing heavy, and his heart was racing. He noticed a pair of shoes and a strange coat that wasn't there the night before. Someone must have broken in! He quickly grabbed his sword and leaped off the couch, the panic from the nightmare still fueling his fear. Then a scream rang out from the bedroom... Akane! He drew his sword and kicked the door the door "Akane whats wrong are you okay!" He looked around and saw Nash in bed with her, more then a little shocked. "Fuck me Akane... why did you scream I thought you were being attacked!" he dropped his sword. She started to yell at him about barging in and that she was fine "Okay... OKAY! I get it sorry!" he blushed and closed the door. Once the door was shut he couldn't help but smile "Happy for you kid." he whispered.

-------

A few more weeks passed and both used their time left in the city as best they could. Ryoshi practiced his swordsmanship every day, something he had cut back on for some reason. He got a new armored cloak, a misty blue color, but it functioned just like the old one. A new wide brimmed hat was in order as well, his old one in tatters. He got a new pack, supplies, and had his sword sharpened one more time. He did have to admit it felt nice to have new gear after such a long time. He watch on as Akane and Nash said their good byes, the two had become close in such a short period. He lit up a cigarette and wait for them to get done.

Nash had a pit in his stomach as he said good bye to Akane "I'm sad to see you leave, but I know you'll come back... you will come back right?" he gave her a hopeful smile. "Oh I got you a couple things." he gave her two brightly color gifts. "I um hope you like them." The first was a book called "Tome of Northern Beasts" it was a well put together and beautifully illustrated bestiary of monster from the north. "I know you're a hunter but I figured it doesn't hurt to have all the information you can get right?" he laughed a little. The second was a breath taking journal, it looked like it was custom! "Its a journal to keep track of your adventures in... um I know you aren't one for writing but I thought that maybe once you come back you could tell me all about your adventures." he blushed a little.

1629275571475.png
Just as Nash finished explaining a large dark figure appeared behind him, it was Sharp. Akane's mind raced trying to figure out if it was real or just the stress of having to say good bye. "Akane, get back!" Ryoshis voice cut through her racing thoughts... he was real.

"My my what a touching good bye." His hollow, raspy, mechanical voice chuckled.

Both Nash and Akane quickly backed away, facing the android. Nash got out his radio "All units I have a wanted criminal in my sights, request back up."

"I'm afraid your little group of friends won't be showing up." Sharp pulled a device out from under his cloak and pressed it. There was a far off explosion and then thick black smoke filled the air. There was a popping sound in the air, then Sharp pointed up to the sky with a pointed finger. Holes in the city dome started to tare open like it was made of paper.

"All units to the south wall! All units to the south wall! One of the shield generators has been blown up! We need All units defending the wall now!" a voice boomed on Nash's radio. Nash looked at Sharp with a pale face "You're insane!"

Cries from the monsters in Deadmans Hills pierced the air.

"Run along now boy scout or you'll be eaten up by the monsters." Sharp laughed.

"Go kid we can handle him." Ryoshi came up along side both of them. "As soon as Nash is gone we have to run for the north gate got it? We can't fight sharp here, to many people will get hurt." he whispered to Akane. "Damnit Nash I said get going!" Ryoshi shouted.

Nash looked to Akane one last time "Please be safe..." then he took off for the south wall.

Ryoshi turned and started to run as fast as he could "Akane come on!" he shouted.

Sharp simply sighed and went after the both of them, now it was do or die.

• Nice Execution!
The nerves were getting to her. Sitting there in bed by herself, but knowing another would be joining her soon. Which was *never the case. Ever. In her life. But this was Nash and… well he was certainly different from any guy she's ever met. She felt her heart begin to pound till she heard the soft creak of her door and she thought it could have stopped altogether. "Hi," she greeted softly, much more bashful seeming than she had for most of the night. Then he slipped into her bed and the new smell of him as he pressed close made her insides curl. She sunk further beneath the covers with him, bodies pressed close, and even though her heart felt like it was fluttering, she felt… surprisingly comfortable. His hand dangled over her waist, pressing against her belly as her back was brought into his chest and she felt as though she hasn't felt this amount of comfort for a very very long time.

"Why are you thanking me?" she asked in a soft whisper, a gentle smile curving her lips as she turned her head upon her pillow just enough to see Nash closing his eyes. Her smile widened slightly and she righted her head upon her pillow while her arm sought to drape over his with her fingers looping upon the ones over her stomach.

"Rest well. Nash."

◖◍◗​

Truthfully she wouldn't even remember falling asleep. But the slow rhythmic swell and depletion of breath in Nash's lungs was its own lullaby. She soon feel into slumber, though an intruding pitter patter of heavy drops on the window served as a wakeup call. Though it was a mild one. It was a slow reverberation into the darkness of her dreams, stirring her slowly till other senses came next. Mostly just the radiating warmth of someone pressed against her back. Last night…? Nash! Her heart jump started and stalled her breath, her head turning slowly as though she was hesitant to peer over her shoulder and see a monster lingering behind…

But all there was to see were the glimmering irises of the boy she spent the prior evening with. He smiled at her, making her heart go all wonky and with a rustle of covers had maneuvered enough to be looked down upon her. "Ah… morning…" she said and found it hard to look away from him. A slow blush came to her cheeks as he leaned downward to gift her a kiss. "I wasn't worried either way," she murmured against his lips, her signature smirk lifting the corner of her mouth as a hand reached to brush against his jaw. "Good. I think." No dreams. That was usually a good thing.

She rose a dark brow slowly, noticing the shift in his mood and warranted a small narrowing of her dark eyes, fingers starting to push at his face playfully when he mentioned tickling of all fucking things. "Don't you fucking dare—" Too late.

What was he a child?! And yet she was the one laughing and kicking at the covers though about ready to shove the stupid boy right off the damn bed. "N-Nash, stop it—!" she would always start before interrupting herself with giggles that she tried to keep hushed, but it was a little hard! As they were a little involuntary along with the little shriek that would leave her, warranting a slap of her palm over her own lips with a widening of gaze of what she'd just done.

Her mind just registered what was about to happen before it happened. Sword and all Ryoshi came barging in and already her face was heating to a vibrant red. "Ryoshi!!" she cried, even though she.. really couldn't blame him after waking him up with such a ruckus. She cast a light glare Nash's way, though there was hardly and ill-will behind the look. "I'm fine… Ryoshi, I'm FINE." Dropping her forehead into one of her own hands and peering through slitted fingers at the man that she might as well fucking call dad at this point.

Not about to explain what the hell had been happening, she pointed at the door. "I'm fine, so just, go please?? RYOSHI!!" she shrilled and flopped back onto her pillow when the door was closing with both palms covering the expanse of her tomato-red face. "Well… now I am actually glad you kept your clothes on," she grumbled to soon peak out from between her fingers at the boy that was probably as red as her before her embarrassment was lost to soft laughter, soon to move her arms around him and bury her red face into his chest. "Idiot…" she mumbled endearingly.

◖◍◗​

Akane never really had to say goodbye to anyone before. Her family had been taken from her… no time for goodbyes. And anyone she met on the road never warranted such a formal thing. Like a tumbleweed she merely drifted where her feet decided to carry her without a care. The only person that had come close to deserve one was Ryoshi, but instead they stuck beside one another, thus one was never needed.

And then, just like all the other times, there was Nash. Who was quickly teaching her that goodbyes really really sucked. She wore her new gear as well this day, something that Nash wasn't accustomed to seeing her in, but perhaps painted the full picture of what she was. A monster hunter. Her outfit hadn't changed much, still preferring the light hardened leathers to anything too heavy as it helped her stay mobile, especially while maneuvering in the air. That was probably the newest piece of gear in her inventory besides her mechanical arm that had swiftly become a wieldable weapon. Overtop of her leather strapped armor she now wore a harness, something that seemed to blend in with her outfit really, but it was a newly developed grappling system just for her that she'd asked Brenner if she could get his help on. Paid this time, of course. She had to spend her money on something that she was making from the cafe! It was all very high tech, the drawback speed somehow being magnified by the power in her mechanical limb. Really all she knew about it was that it worked magnificently and had thanked Dr. Brenner a thousand times over for it already.

And of course she had her knew mask as well that had only seen the inside of the city so far. It was currently housed about her ears and neck, looking like jewelry, really, before she wished for it to expand to cover her face. She also carried a simple bag over her shoulder, looking to be carrying considerably less now that she was wearing half of what she required as a hunter.

Yet as excited as she was to get out there and test her new gear, she was leaving something behind here in the city and it stung the vessel beating in her chest. With teeth pulling at the inner flesh of her bottom lip, she glanced upward at Nash, as though she was hesitant to meet his gaze fully. Though unknown to him it was so he wouldn't see the sparkling liquid that was beginning to fill her lash line. "I will. Of course I will…" If she didn't die that is. But she swallowed that last bit. Her eyes would be drawn upward then as he said he'd gotten her something, but it didn't make the sting of tears any easier to blink back. "Nash, you didn't need to," she breathed out with a tremble though as they were handed out, they were taken into tender fingers that brushed over the covers endearingly. She gazed upon them both. Two precious gifts from someone she was beginning to understand the extent at which she cared for him.

Akane couldn't help but throw her arms around him then, hugging him tightly, and capturing his lips with her own. Something that even just a couple days ago she would have been embarrassed to have anyone see, but now did not care in the slightest. The fingers of her free hand slid into his hair to pull him close with the first of her tears beginning to slowly trail from her cheeks. "Nash… I—"

Akane, get back!!

She lurched her body away then, though her free hand automatically snagged Nash's arm to bring him with her and to her side. You had to be fucking kidding… Her breath hitched, and a harsh swallow had her exterior hardening, hiding the softened side beneath, even as the skinny trail of tears remained upon her cheeks. "You…" she breathed. Why? What the hell did he want?! He'd been terrorizing her thoughts nearly the entirety of her time here… she was quite sick of this.

Stuffing the two gifted books in her bag, she stepped in front of Nash and adopted a defensive stance, a flash of light gleaming from metal as a sword pieced itself together from her black and yellow shining arm. Seemed as though she was going to get some practice sooner than she thought. "I've had about enough of you."

Though the fight wouldn't quite start yet, with Sharp having a trick quite literally under his sleeve, or under cloak rather as he pushed a button and the world seemed to shake under their feet as a result. With widening eyes, she reached out with her hand to grab Nash and stabilize him while the air filled with a foul stench of sulfur. "Oh no…" she gasped and followed the direction of Sharp's pointed finger to where the barrier was beginning to crumble. Allowing in the monstrous wails of the creature's in the Deadman's Hills. Her body prickled with remembrance but also began to boil with hatred for this machine more than ever. He was really willing to risk the lives of innocence just to be able to fight one on one with Ryoshi?? Well fuck him. Ryoshi had her now. At the very least, it was going to be a two on one fight.

But the monsters…

Ryoshi's words were a blur in her head. Run. North gate. People will get hurt. Which just translated to Nash could get hurt, and that fear gripped her heart near to bursting. The dark storm of irises flickered to Nash, realizing that his jacket had still been in her grip, but now it was gone and he was moving away from her. "Nash…" It came out as a whimper. When did she begin to sound so pathetic??

When she started caring.

"… You too."

Then he was a flurry and as soon as they had Sharp's attention, it was their turn to run. A turn upon the heel of her boots and it was time to test her agility to see if she'd fully regained herself. Nothing like an adrenaline fueled sprint to make sure everything was working correctly…

"Ryoshi, the Watch isn't equipped to fight monsters-!" she gasped in between labored pants of breath. Not that she was out of shape. She'd been practicing plenty as well with Brenner to make sure she was up to snuff. Ryoshi didn't want to take any chances of something going wrong once they'd trekked back out into kirioni territory. But still, nothing would put a body more under stress than when it was in actual danger.

• Love
Ryoshi's lungs burned as they dashed for the north gate that lead to The Great Boar Plains, but this pain was something he had been dealing with for awhile now... he had to. "They will be fine, you need to focus on whats going on right now!" he called over to Akane. Ryoshi looked over his shoulder and saw Sharp giving chase. There was a loud crack of thunder and bolt of lightning that shot out from the sky, striking a near by watch tower. The structure burst into flame and came crashing to the ground, it would seem even mother nature herself was against this city. "Gotta keep moving, gotta make it to the gate... Gotta keep moving, make it to the gate..." Ryoshi kept repeating in his mind, its what he did to keep calm and focused.

Sharp wasn't let up but he wasn't as fast as the prey he hunted. He came to a halt and reached into his cloak to pull out a deep black steel bow. He took an archers stance and pulled out a metal tipped arrow from a compartment in his arm. With machine precision he readied the arrow, and aimed right for Ryoshi head. He pulled back the carbon fiber bowstring and let the arrow fly! It shot through the air as if it had been fried out of gun, carving through the rain with no resistance. However, a strong gust of wind swept across the distraught city and redirected the arrow. It sailed passed Ryoshis head, inches from his face, and pierced the stone wall of a house a few feet in front of them. Bits of rock and wood bounced off the samurais mask as they ran passed. The arrow wouldn't have just killed the man, it would have shredded him. Sharp left out a growl and continued to chase them he would lose him again!

The two rounded a corner and there it was, a large steel door with a large sign above it that read "North Gate". "Come on!" Ryoshi spurred Akane on, yelling through the down pour. The gate was left open just enough for them to squeeze though, the watch members who normally opened it having been called to the south wall. The pavement soon started to give way to grass and wet earth as they moved away from the city. Though it would seem the city seemed to expand more into the plains, construction equipment and scaffolding were all around them. Ryoshi looked around and didn't see Sharp anywhere. Though that much running sent a surge of pain through lungs as he soon found it very hard to breath. The samurai started coughing so badly that he fell to his hands and knees, and opened the mouth piece of his mask. His blood mixed with the water and mud he was bent over. Before Akane could help him he snapped at her out of mix of fear, anger at himself, and pain "Don't fucking touch me!" he pointed at her to stay where she was.

"Oh how the mighty have fallen." a haunting voice called out. Sharp walked out from the gate opening, it shutting behind him, and stood before them both cold empty eye sockets staring them down. Rain slid off his hard metal shell and pooled at his feet "No more talking, no more running, this ends right now you old fool. It's time I took your life like you took mine." his words dripping with venom, a flash of lightening lit up his skull of a face. He pulled a long metal rod from his cloak and pressed a button on it. A three foot long curved blade shot out at the end, a glaive.

1629616140861.png
Ryoshi got to his feet once more, still a little woozy, and took a deep breath letting it out slowly. He drew his red metal blade and struck a stance. "Akane I don't expect you to fight my battles, but if you do stay I would.... the help would be nice." he said to her in a whisper. With that Ryoshi nodded and rushed in to fight Sharp, starting with a heavy swing from above. *Clang!* Sharp blocked it and countered with a sharp thrust to the samurais chest who managed to just side step it. The samurai saw his opening and slashed across one of Sharps arms, metal screamed against metal as the two clashed. "What?" Ryoshi saw that he had only scratched the armor.

"You're not the only one who's made some upgrades!" Sharp roared as he came across to cut Ryoshi in two, though the swordsman's cloak took the hit. The glaive didn't cut though but the force of the hit caused Ryoshi to slide along the muddy ground. "This isn't good if I'm going to get through that armor I'm going to have to heat my sword..." he looked over to Akane and slowly backed up to her. "Its no good I can't cut him with a cold blade, think you can by me some time? Should only take a few minuets."

At least she could rest at ease that this lunatic was after them and not anyone else. Making it quite easy to lure the mechanic barbarian away, since all they had to do was run. Yet her mind sought to torture her with the thoughts of monsters flooding through the break in the gates. Creatures that were the stuff of nightmares if they were coming from those foggy hills of death. They'd barely made it through alive! How could they expect those who weren't equipped to handle such a threat to hold them back—?? To expect Nash to hold them back??

She winced as her foot skid on rogue material, catching her off balance for just a singular moment, though the motion of her stomach lurching up into her throat was enough to bring her head back to the present. For now. "Okay… okay!" A huff of a breath exited her lungs and she did her best to do as Ryoshi said. Focus. The sooner they take care of this crazed mech, the faster they could go back to the South gate and aid the Watch till they could get the barrier up and running again.

Not even a glance would be made back at the one who gave chase, figuring that to know how close he was upon her heels would do her no good. Besides, one moment in which her eyes strayed from her current objective could be the moment she fucked up her footing and went tumbling. She felt a little bit wobbly in the legs already, not used to such strenuous activity after recouping for the past how many weeks. And the adrenaline coursing through her veins felt chaotic, as though her limbs weren't in her own control.

"Auh-!!" A gasp of air as something whizzed past her face. She was following Ryoshi after all, and the arrow tip that had been let loose had to travel past her in order to get anywhere near the samurai. Though with how close it ended up, it definitely didn't reassure her any that another wouldn't come back any second and pierce through them both. "I'm r-right behind you!" she called through the rain. Again with the rain… why was it always storming here. At the speed of her forward moment, she all but fell through the narrow opening of the North Gate, her metal arm scraping against the metal of the door that seemed as though it was ajar just for them.

Only when their boots began to slosh in mud and soggy grasses did their treks slow, which was good because Akane felt short of air as well… though wouldn't go so far as to begin spitting up blood because of it. Trying to catch her breath, she didn't even have any words, merely an expression surprise and then profound concern etching into her eyes behind her own mask that had slid into place after they had started running. She didn't skip a beat in stepping toward him with an outstretched hand, and yet she wouldn't even get the feeble call of his name out before he barked a command at her to not bother. The harshness of his voice made her flinch, and yet the only thing that still encompassed her was the distress of witnessing her mentor coughing up his own blood.

How a voice could sound so hollow but still be so grating on her ears she didn't know. Her eyes swiveled to Sharp emerging from the same exit they had went through, squaring off to him with a bend in dark brows and suddenly wishing the lenses of her mask were see through so this shit head tin can could see how much she hated him. Well certainly. She'd be glad to end this here and now. In fact, it would have been nice to have this weight off her shoulder a good couple weeks ago. So she didn't have to keep looking over her shoulder expecting to see his ugly face.

Once more her gaze drifted to Ryoshi while her peripheral remained upon the mechanical man. She didn't dare take her eye off him for a second. She didn't trust him. Akane tried to ignore the splotch of red upon the ground, feeling as though that was a question for later, though it didn't exactly calm the glare of concern in her heart. He spoke to her, and if she could have taken the second to yell at him for how stupid that sounded she would have! Except the fight began and she brought forth her weapon once more that sprung forth from her arm at her command. "Idiot," she muttered and rushed after him, as though that action alone was also his answer. After the glaive thrusted into Ryoshi's cloak, she took that moment to make her first attack. Running in from the side she cut what normally would have been a devastating blow at the height of his neck, but just as Ryoshi's blade rebounded, so did hers. Though it did seem to catch the bastard's attention.

"You're dealing with me too, this time. And I'm not crippled in a bed any longer. That should level out the playing field just a little bit. Fucker." She added for good measure and like a pest would swing at his head again, hoping to cut through any of those wiry looking tubes hanging about his face, but she had to zip away to avoid his glaive before she was given another chance, her grapple shooting out and to the nearest steel beam to act as her anchor and pull her away. Right to Ryoshi's side where she slid into a lower defense stance with her sword wielded alongside her forearm of her mechanical arm.

"Gladly." She didn't even look at him. Merely heard the question and smirked. No way were they letting this shithead have his way. "Take all the time you need," she told Ryoshi before running off again with a fresh round of adrenaline strengthening her. It felt good to be back and functioning. "Alright, Sharp. Let's see how well you do in a fair fight," she hissed, coming at him head on, although last second she used her grapple to swing about his ankle, taking a dive to skirt about his larger form and allowing the mechanics of her arm work to reel in the line. Though it wasn't so much in hopes to bring her to him, as it was to trip up his footing. Compared to him, she was but a fast moving fly to the larger more cumbersome animatron.

"Not so easy hitting a moving target, huh?" she taunted, not so much as getting cocky as she was attempting to keep his attention on her while she delved out of the way of his attacks and struck her blade upon him when she could get close enough, though it wasn't necessarily her goal to damage him. Not when Ryoshi said he had defenses against that. He was working on it and she would trust him.

Ryoshi sheathed his blade and pushed the button for the sheath to start heating up. He had to trust that Akane was strong enough and deep down he knew she was.

When she wrapped the grapple around his legs and yanked Sharp to the cold wet muddy ground he let out an exasperated growl. "I should have killed you back at the hospital! Crushed your shoulder then your fucking head!" he roared as she sliced at him, merely bouncing off his armor. *PSSSSSSHHHH!* There was a loud hiss of steam as she managed to cut one of the hoses under his face, then a kind of rust colored mist started to shoot out. The machine started to seize and jerk as the mist started to dissipate and the hissing stopped. "aaaaaaAAAAHHHHI'LL KILL YOU!" he shouted, seems she hit a nerve. His body started to move normally again, anger coursing though it. He stabbed and swiped at her with his glaive, water flicking off of it as he swung. She was to fast and almost managed to clip another hose. "ENOUGH!" small red dots deep in his empty eye sockets flashed red. He reached out with not yet seen speed and grabbed her by the neck. He picked her up like she was a doll and slammed her into the ground so hard the air was knocked from her lungs. The machine dropped to his knees over her "You have no idea what it took to get here, and I'll be DAMNED if I let some hunter wanna be kill me!" he growled. He raised his glaive right over her head "No coming back this ti-" His wispy voice stopped, his whole body stopped. *Sssssssss* There was a hissing then a bright orange spot spread across the machine's chest before the sound of tearing metal filled the air. Ryoshi's glowing red sword burst out Sharps chest, bits of hot metal bounced off Akane's mask, the smell of heat filled her nose when air filled her lungs once more. The samurai pulled out his sword and pushed Sharps body off of Akane.

"Come on!" he grabbed her hand and helped her up. "Nice work kid, sorry it took so long." he nodded.

"Why... do you sound so... accomplished... Ryoshi...?" Sharp said as he dug his fingers into the mud, and shakily got back onto his feet. There was a flashing of lightning as the hulking figure of the machine stood once more. His hand was covering the hole Ryoshi made and sparks were coming out of his joints. "This... isn't....over..." he rasped, then there was another flash of lightning and he was gone.

The two were left standing there in the rain, both breathing heavily. There was a familiar popping noise in the air and the city shield came back up, once again protecting it from the undead hoards. The screaming had died down too, however the gate remained sealed there was no way to get back in. Ryoshi sheathed his sword and turned "Come on we have a lot of ground to cover." he called to Akane.

"Ak....ane.....Akane....ar...e you..... okay?" it sounded like Nash's voice! It was coming from her bag, from the journal he gave her. Inside was a walkie talkie though it seemed the signal was weak.

Seemed as though she was managing nearly too well, being a pesky fly about Sharp's head. To the point that upon another close encounter of which was common in her chosen fighting style, was nearly her downfall. Coming in for another slice with shortened blade for mobility, a mechanical appendage that had been momentarily locked up suddenly reached out to snag her by the neck. Surprise was shown in the charcoal of her eyes, widening before crinkling as though prepping for the pain she was about to feel. "Ungh—!" she rasped after being pounded into the ground in a way that she was surprised hadn't fully crushed her windpipe. Wheezing like a fish gaping for air outside of water, she gave a feeble knock of a blade against his mechanical arm, though this time it merely rebounded with a tinny *clink while the squeezing about her neck was making her vision darken at the edges.

Piece of… goddamn… shit… she thought, since words could not be uttered in the moment, though the ferocity in her eyes remained with a vibrant hatred for this psychotic tin can.

Til blissful air was finally given from a slack in metal fingers, the rush of it causing a coughing fit whilst the heel of her boots dug into the ground to drag herself back. Before a helping hand was extended of which she took while her hand of flesh rubbed tenderly at her neck. As though to confirm it wasn't cricked at an odd angle. "S'o-okay…" she grinned despite the throbbing ache in her neck, holding her own mechanical appendage in front of her as though to ready and be on the defensive once more. But it seemed Ryoshi's last move did its work.

Each movement was a strained one for the android, but there was bad news in that alone. That he was still moving at all. To then fully disappear to which Akane could only sigh… though it spurred another small coughing fit. Pausing her movement though another sight would as well when there was a distinct blur to her left that signaled the return to the city's barrier. Add the buzz of a familiar voice from her bag and she was certainly in no mood to get moving as Ryoshi wanted to. 

"W-wait. Please, just wait…" Akane rasped for a final breath of air that finally seemed to be catching up her lungs for what air they lost. Reaching up to fiddle with the dial on her comm to pick up the weakened signal from the walkie talkie. Nash's voice came through loud and clear. "Nash," she breathed in relief, sinking down onto the ground for just a moment as the running and fighting seemed to catch up with her, making wobbly legs known and a small ache of her shoulder suddenly apparent. Just… a very short rest.

"Nash, can you hear me? I'm alright I— what's going on in the city?? Are things okay? Are you okay??"