Invocatem - IC

A

Asuras

Original poster
QudCE2J.png

Co-GM: @ERode

Positions Available: 0/7

It was the greatest crowd since the lifting of the Tower of Lords, and beneath its shadow it seemed as if the occasion were a follow-up to its glory. In tandem, it felt like a greater symbol of execution than the axe that sat heavy on the wooden platform in the city square; like a titanic avatar of the death of nations. As the captive's hearts felt heavy, so did their souls. What powers they had gained with the powers of a nestled goddess seemed defunct under Baelwill's skies. Whatever eldritch qualities existed within the Tower were clearly just as tangible without, and worked to suppress every aspect of their beings.

Shuffling along as a chain-gang, eight young women approached the scene of their deaths. A wide platform, seemingly built just wide enough to display all of them at once, stood at the center of a city square, where five streets greeted one another. The crowd stretched unto the horizon, with families propping children upon their shoulders to get as good a look as they could of the spectacle. The craftier citizens welcomed others into their two-story homes -for a price.

There was no physical abuse, but the threat of it felt as if it would materialize in but a moment. Only the presence of the faceless, far better-demeanored knights of Baelwill managed to stave away the potential for degeneration into madness. Still, the words that were cast upon the girls were spiteful.

Death to the gods! was a common sentiment within the crowd. A nation of the recently saved, who had no more use for the gods who deserted them in their youth, couldn't help but feel the overwhelming superiority that came with knowing that the divines were right there, beneath a mortal axe.

As they were ferried up the stairs, the crowd began to cheer even louder. Not much longer then…

The knights that were present were the many who were ordered to be there; those that avoided the event held the power to preserve their humility. Aware of the true hero of the event, that nameless knight at the top of the Tower, they would not stand before the goddesses' deaths in a manner that supposed they had any involvement. It was not their victory to witness. But security was nevertheless needed, and so there were knights present. Though they knew it was duty, and not desire that led them there, few could remove the feeling of guilt.

Among them was a young woman, identifiable only by the feminine figure she carried amidst masked and armored knights. Beneath that mask, a droplet of sweat carried down her neck. She hoped, standing there in the sea of bodies, that none would feel her nervousness, or see it in her posture. In but moments, she would do the unthinkable. Hours before, she had planned the unthinkable.

Saddled between two homes, on the outskirts of Eaganomach, Baelwill's capital city, two traitors converged. A lady knight, and a knight, both of young age and palpably quiet, hid within the alleyway's dark corners and spoke in hushed tones.

"I do not expect you to harm our brothers, but know that I will not hesitate should the need come to pass. I am unfamiliar with the deeds of Mellaphen, but if you truly desire to save your Chosen friend, you'll use every aspect of his might. Perhaps you will strengthen your bond with the knight as well," the woman said, mustering a small smile. She was Faire Miland, a lady knight of equal skill to the young man she spoke with, and bound to Emprana, the knight known as the Impostor Mage. Together, they would strive to alter the fate of the world as they knew it.

Despite the circumstances, the palpable tension that caused his spine to straighten, that caused his shoulder muscles to stiffen, the silver haired swordsman managed a smile. "I wield a bloodless sword," he said, "But my duty to my friend stands above such trifles. Have you steeled your own resolve? Kindred blood won't be the only burden we'll bear at the end of the this."

Faire looked to the ground. It was clear she wasn't sure, but she was there already; someone who could resolve to even consider their actions was already far enough to follow through. She lifted her head with a jerk. "Know that I do this not for the goddesses, their lives, or even my own. I do it for what I have witnessed, and the future I see. I'll do everything in my power to help your friend, but my heart belongs first to Baelwill…" she trailed off, "hypocritical as it may seem." Faire tightened her stance and bore upon him a gaze of unbending determination.

"Then let us be through with this treason. I can't stand in this city any longer than I must. I can feel its weight upon my shoulders," she said.

Blue eyes held that gaze momentarily, before breaking away. There was no need for words now. Only an offering to their respective patrons, and the tenacity to see their betrayal through to the end. Whether for the individual or for the nation, it mattered not.

With this one step, both began their descent to hell.

Upon the execution platform, the chosen had been lined up, and first to die was a strange sight in the far west of Baelwill; the Tanna people of Dokoshin, native to the forests on the exact opposite corner of the world, were spoken of only in imagination, and so to have such a person before them felt as if they were looking upon a myth. The Tanna girl was unlinked from her fellow chosen and urged over to the chopping block. With silver eyes, the fox-eared girl looked out upon the crowd with weariness; her eyes had yet to adjust to the brightness of the surface, having just prior been locked away in a prison for what had seemed like weeks.

Without much time to contemplate those faces looking upon her, she was forced down to her knees, and then upon the wooden block. Tears had long before already welled up beneath her eyes, due in no small part to the light. Those she failed, especially the girls who would follow her, were the last thoughts she could muster. The axe was risen with a slow, purposeful ascent before-

CLANG.

The sharp of metal upon metal, sharp and resonating, ended the chop. But no necks were stricken, only wood. The Executioner's axe lay embedded in the wooden platform just beside the girl's head, a hole bored into the flat of its head. A sword had impaled itself into the steel, binding the larger axe to the platform, as if a hunter's arrow pinning a rabbit to the forest floor.

The crowd gasped and looked about until the culprit was found...

Amidst the crowd, a lady knight held her hand extended, and at her back, a flurry of ethereal swords hovered. The lady knight had betrayed them. Faire Miland hesitated no longer, and leaped onto the platform with a mighty push of her feet, clearing a dozen rows in the crowd. With a thump, her boots met the wood, and she wasted no time in freeing the girls. The executioner had already stepped back, disarmed of his tool and bearing no will, much less skill, to face a knight of Baelwill. The ethereal swords materialized and found their way into each of the girl's chains, freeing them at least from bondage of one another. Faire extended a hand to the Tanna girl, and offered a smile.

"Come with me, all of you!" she proclaimed.

The crowd erupted, dispelled from their moment of triumph and subdued glee. Replaced now with terror and betrayal, they dispersed as best such a packed crowd could, while those lower knights present hesitated to even draw their swords. What in the Lord's names was even happening? A knight, betraying their brothers and sisters, their country? One of them seemingly resolved the inner tumultuous thoughts, and drew their weapon with a shout.

Traitor!

All at once, the rest followed suit, at least two dozen in all. Assaulted by the tide of retreating bodies, they approached the platform, some mustering that Reverence-bolstered leap, and others simply wading through by foot. There were few places to run to for the recently freed, but now, with their shackles broken and with newfound allies, hope seemed brighter than ever before.

His parents were in the crowd.

But Alier was not a monster. It was water, not blood, which sustained him.

And so, as he stood amongst the colorful knights as guards to this bloodletting spectacle, the silver haired disciple of Mellaphen kept his eyes away from his friend. He had not the heart to see what expression laid upon her face in those final moments. Whether betrayal, despair, understanding, or peace, it mattered not.

One shot.

A flash of ethereal steel. A cry of outrage. Motion all around, as Faire fulfilled her promise. Only then did Alier meet Tomonomiyatsuko's eyes. A smile despite the situation. A smile clearing away any doubts of his allegiance. A smile within the maelstrom, befitting of the knight that severed all but flesh.

He drew his sword, and cleaved through the inconsequential barrier of 'distance', a single stroke cutting down the adjacent buildings. They collapsed before the earthbound knights, a concrete fear now mixing with the abstract terror of betrayal, as stonework and wooden beams collapsed onto the front of the stage. It would not deter those with enough physical might to leap above, but…

The sky was her dominion.

Before the aggression of the crowd could turn on him, the silver haired knight landed by his new allies, standing to the side of the one he betrayed his country for.

"Southwest gate," he said, a scarlet spark in the azure gaze, "I'll clear physical obstacles if you can keep human ones away."

"I should have just killed you all those nights, I'll be sure not to make this mistake again. Well one way or another." One of the Eight women spits out, gazing at the guardsmen, regardless of if they could hear her or not. On the plus side she was allowed her clothing, reaching her hand around awkwardly to grab her silver coin. Looking at the blood thirsty crowd with disdain, these people really hated the Gods, but did they ever once ask what they had done for the Gods?

Looking towards the Tower as best she could, Xinyue did not like this place. While Cities were unnatural things in the first place, this one was something else, stifling, constricting, not void of the Gods so much as shut off from them. Glancing then at the Platform around her, this was a really shoddy construction, and the Knights of Baelwill seemed to have their minds elsewhere. Cackling lightly to herself, the first up to the chopping block seemed to be a Tanna, rare people that she seen very rarely on the Steppes.

With the Sun up above, this was all the more tiring with the townspeople's blood lust.

"Don't let them get to you. Such are the Civilized, I go with my head held high, my ancestors smile upon me. Can they, much less those Knights say the same? Ha!"

It was the least she could say, not caring if the knights or the others had heard, what good it did as the other cried. Tossing the coin haphazardly from her right, she was curious if her other half had abandoned her. Even if things were different in this wretched city, that custom stayed with her.

With a sudden surprise the ringing sound of Metal meeting Metal had sung out, the Executioner seemed to have lost his touch. Shortly thereafter the source became apparent, a Knight leaping to the stage, impressively so at that. Cutting their chains, or at least to one another, the shackles would have to come off later.

Holding her right hand out a bit more easily, Xinyue catches the coin in hand, opening her palm...

"Heads.." Eying the woman, this was all Xinyue needed to follow her, then of course another spectacle had shown up to the fray, perhaps more impressively than his comrade.. Laughing a bit to herself and then smiling, the woman inclines her head in greeting.

"Impressive, though I rather not run the risk of being crushed by rubble, I'll go wherever you say." Gazing at the other girls and her allies, it was a shame introductions could not be carried out here...

If only I had a Bow or my powers.. But I don't know if I could match those two, even if I might could kill more infantry than they.. Both are strong, but can they kill their own?

Exhaling, it seemed the blessing would hold.

Even if allies, you've brought me more trouble, haven't you, Tsuki?

Hira glanced up in curiousity at that mammoth tower of horrors that loomed above their heads. From here, it looked like an imposing giant, glaring down with an unfair judgement... straight into her soul. It was horrifying.

There were all sorts of outcomes Hira had expected as she'd traveled closer and closer to Baelwill. Maybe they were going to congratulate her, or warn her of responsibilities, or - at the very least - steal her strange little divine friend from her to use themselves...

The reality was far more grim.

It hit her, one realization at a time. At first she hadn't wanted to believe it, but first the imprisonment, then the chains, then these words of hatred, and finally... that axe. She gazed upon the sharp weapon in fear as tears started to force their way to the surface. They were going to kill her. This was where she was going to die.

Her tearful moment was interrupted as she felt the sharp tug of the chain cuffs. She was lead up a shaky wood platform, perhaps set up in haste for the occasion, all the closer to that shiny, clean axe that looked so resolute in not staying that way.

Hira shook her head to fling the tears from her eyes, and used the sleeves near the back of her hand to finish wiping them dry. Standing as tall and proud as she could for her young age, she glared out over the crowd. If she had to die like this, she wouldn't do it whimpering. She'd show them her pride for the home she loved so much, even in her last moment!

It was a nice sentiment, but one that became harder and harder as the first of them was locked to the chopping block. Once her eyes caught the glint of the axe rising up, pride just felt so meaningless. And thus, Hira shut her eyes.

She couldn't watch it. She just couldn't. Her whole body tensed up and shivered as the sound of metal cleaving the neck hit her ears.

...except was it really? Wouldn't that have made more of a... 'squishy' sound?

Ever-so-slowly, Hira peeked her eyes open in their direction. The axe was... near her head, but there was no giant pool of blood. The guy had missed? No, it must've been that sword. Where had it—

Oh.

Hira stretched her arms out for the first time in a day or so. The freedom of movement was wonderful, but why, and at what price? Offering up a confused and divided glance at the mysterious knight duo who appeared responsible, she leapt back to avoid all the falling debris at the front of the platform.

And she stood there.

She just stood there. Even as the others made a break for it. As they began to take the miraculous opportunity to escape that they'd just been presented with... Hira stood there. Scared, confused, struck with the undeniable feeling that she was making a huge mistake - yes - but she still didn't move.

"I'm s-s-sorry but... I c-can't go with you!" Hira managed to shakily shout it back at them in defiance, even though a single look at the terror on her face betrayed her true desire to escape with them. "I have to stay! Or else..." she couldn't complete the thought. Trying to shut the rest of the world out, Hira crouched down and held her head with her hands, eyes shut tight.

She heard the joyous cacophony, saw the glint of the axe, and somewhere, something within stirred. Relief. Reverence. Veneration. Envy. Longing. It was as if a hand, its forearm stemming from the pits of her heart, reaching out through her throat, desperate.

Reaching for a promise, spoken so long ago it had been almost forgotten.

An end.

Then it recoiled, as ephemeral blades severed the chains that bound them, as the cacophony of triumph reached its sudden diminuendo. The promise once again deferred, by the hands of some lady-knight. She felt… disappointment, although it was not her own.

Hyacinth Solalessia, after all, had a life to live, and quite enjoyed living it.

"Can you believe it?" She whispered in lustrous tones that belied their prior predicament, "For a moment, I felt as if I wanted my head chopped off. Thank the…"

She eyed the two savior knights of - Baelwill, surely? - some agenda or another, casting her gaze over their regalia, and the bedlam they had infused into the proceedings, "... way things happened. Treachery! Sweeter than honeycomb."

She allowed herself a blissful sigh, and then a colorful smile, "Shall we drag the crazy girl with us? Poor, odd thing; do you think she wanted her head chopped too?"

Reactions: Luma
Wren

For her days in captivity, Wren Sozu had done her best to deny fate. To tell herself that somebody would come and save her in return for revealing her true self for the sake of that village. But days eating stale bread in the pitch black had ticked by - one after another - and now, she was here. The point of no return. The point of near to no hope.

"..."

Her body quivered with fear - causing a metallic ringing due to the chains around her - and under a thin black mask, her breathing was heavy and on the verge of being delirious. Why was this happening? What would they possibly gain from any of this? Was she actually a criminal? Even if it was 'organized' and the knights saw it as 'honorable', this so-called execution was just another synonym for cold-blooded murder.

But above all... why was everyone so excited to watch all of these young women - some nearer to children - brutally die? Squinting, through a foggy vision obscured by tears, Wren could sense the giddy anticipation coming from narrowed eyes and silent smirks, permeating from their faces like a cruel, dark purple mist. She didn't understand. She just really, truly, did not understand. In her confusion, she broke her barrier of silence suddenly, turning to one of the knights keeping guard over the long line.

"W-we can all... c-co-exist, " Wren sniffled, her naturally quiet voice more or less inaudible. She knew pleas would just be ignored in the face of this arranged madness, but she still tried to hang on to some sort of... miracle, "please. S-stop... madness..."

No response. No acknowledgement. And now, no hope.

Though she stood in chains, she felt as if she were falling. Falling, falling, falling. Down an endless pit, knowing that the spikes at the bottom would eventually be visible. And it was in this desperate moment that Wren realized she was the kind of person that'd rather fall forever than eventually reach a bottom.

Although it was the first time she'd ever seen the girl, Wren felt somewhat... connected to the fox-eared girl's presence. It wasn't the girl's appearance that made her feel that way; it was the first time she'd ever seen someone with that sort of appearance. Whatever the feeling was, Wren trembled with fear as she watched the executioner's axe get in its readied position.

No... she couldn't die! She absolutely couldn't let that person die, or anybody here!! Something inside Wren churned with distraught emotion as she suddenly struggled viciously in her bindings to reach out. But even as she tried to do something, the skies were clear. Absolutely clear.

A feeling of guilt and failure began to manifest in Wren when the axe began to go downwards in an arc. Why couldn't she do anything? When the axe didn't meet flesh, however, her eyes widened with confusion as she found the source that'd saved the familiar girl, and shortly after, her hands were freed.

"...?"

Like a deer who'd escaped its bonds before execution, at first, she just wanted to run, run, RUN. Any direction would do. But the cool and calm demeanor of the two knights - one speaking after another - helped Wren see reason and not randomly scurry away, though she still kept her distance, her eyes wide and wary. She would've taken off instantly, but someone had taken the silent girl's attention.

The youngest of the group of girls was huddled in a sniffling ball, wailing out something about not wanting to come. That - in Wren's eyes - was simply suicide, and there was no way she was going to let a child die in this moment of opportunity. Shooting a silent, disapproving look to the one who suggested the girl wanted her head chopped off, Wren knew that obviously wasn't the case, and if that had been an attempt at a joke, it'd been a bad one.

Approaching her and crouching over, with surprising strength, the short, masked girl abruptly hoisted the young one up and over her shoulder, regardless of any protests.
"Shh. ...You be okay," Wren whispered simply, her shaky voice as clear as pindrops as cloudy eyes drifted across the scene of carnage.

Though she knew there was no way to guarantee that promise, she would still try.

Once she had a good hold, Wren took off at a surprising speed - regardless of the extra weight - her cloak and loose fragments of ripped clothing trailing behind her like flowing ribbons. Wren's eyes were terrified, but she moved to follow the two knights as if there wasn't any fear in her at all. She herself was no fighter, especially in sunny conditions, so she was counting on others to keep the knights away from her.

Escape. So she could truly feel alive just that one more time.

Reactions: RedArmyShogun
The Tower of Lords's suppressive aura weighed heavily on Ethel—in more ways than one. She wanted nothing more than to be picked up by the breeze and be cast away from this place. Already, most of the once-captive Chosen were rushing from the platform, leaving defense to the two knights that had broken them loose.

Flight alone would not save them, she feared.

From the rubble, she pulled both the length of chain once responsible for binding them and a thick sliver of wood from the shattered beam. Splinters pierced her bare palm, but given the imminent danger, she hardly noticed the pain. "Heads up!" she called out, tossing the makeshift spear to one of the girls nearby. From her garb, she guessed that she too was Verdigrisan—and hopefully had some ability to defend herself.

Wielding the chain between her own hands, Ethel did not hold any pretenses to the idea of using it to attack the knights bearing down on them. Instead, she clambered after her sisters, taking a defensive position at the rear of the group, near the elf with the child in her arms. Perhaps, if she were to catch a sword in the links, she would at least be able to stop a killing blow.

A cloud of dust kicked up, obscuring the rubble that had spilled out onto the streets. How many civilians had been killed... Faire dared not allow her mind to wander there. Heeding Alier's words a moment before he could finish uttering them, the lady knight was already in the midst of meeting those knights who'd leaped from behind the hazy curtain. Cutting a hole into the dust, three knights curved through the air, swords drawn back.

No hesitation could be risked; Faire had steeled her mind into mindlessness as she struck her hand out, ordering a volley of ethereal swords to intercept them. With a morbid thunk, two of the three were dispatched, blood splashing out their backs as they fell unceremoniously at the foot of the execution platform. The third deftly deflected the projectile and met his target with a series of skillful swipes. Faire quickly unsheathed her own and met the knight with parries and blocks.

"Alier! Go with them! I'll hold off who I can and give you some time! Don't wait for me," Faire paused and grunted, narrowly missing a slash, "...Keep blocking the route behind you!" she shouted. A hand placed upon Alier's shoulder; Atsuko stood behind him, and with silent eyes, urged him to move on. The cloud billowed up onto the platform, and Faire disappeared into the veil, her furious battle clanging within.

Atsuko turned to the other girls, hurrying to catch up with Wren as she hauled the Hira off into the street. Eaganomach was big, but she felt as if her legs could carry her across the entire world in a single breath. With a short skip, Atsuko bounded into a run, patting Xinyue on the back as she passed. A friendly gesture, reflecting camaraderie despite knowing none of their names.

"Don't stop, even if you're tired!" she urged, "We'll be in their sights even once we've escaped the city!"

The shadow of the Tower stood far behind the group as they continued, and with its looming presence waning, the sense of the goddesses within them began to grow. The powers they had lost seemed to be returning, though it would do nothing to help return their stamina. Try as she could, Atsuko simply could not go on, and neither could some of the others, she imagined.

"W-we need..." she gasped, "We need to pause somewhere, and hide. Or we'll faint," she suggested. Dire as the situation was, they were at least not in any danger of being accosted by civilians. They looked strange, to be sure, as a hodge-podge of ethnicities and nationalities, but with Alier at their side and the sound of terrified citizenry out of earshot, the city-goers that walked about the streets gave them only curious looks. But with time, a knight would arrive and their cover would be blown.

"Alier, where can we hide? Anywhere..." she said, bent over in exhaustion. Faire had yet to find them, but given the sheer size of the city, one would wonder if it was even possibly for her to find them ever again. Her fate remained unknown.

"I'd shroud us, but it could easily draw attention," Atsuko said, standing up and bending back, "Even if it would obscure our positions it'd alert any knights that we're in the area." Atsuko looked about the group. She could sense that they were all Chosen like her, but that was the extent of her knowledge; no names of either the girls or their divine passengers could be discerned. A certain feeling of attachment emanated from Wren, however.

"You all can feel your powers returning, yes? Anything that can help? Anything at all?" she asked.

During the Chaos, it seemed one of their number needed to be carried off and another had looked forward to getting her head chopped off. While not the strangest thing she had seen, it was up there. Feeling a hand pressing against her back in a gentle pat, it seemed the Tanna had some intention of being friendly, picking up in speed and passing her.

To complicated matters, or at least potentially, the swordswoman seemed intent on buying them time. Somewhat concerned over this, Xinyue continues along nonetheless.

As the group ran for what seemed to stretch anywhere from minutes to hours, the quick footed Tanna seemed to have burned out on her energy. Showing no sign of fatigue herself, the Steppes girl smiles thinly, but does prop herself up against a wall of some building or another, sweat gathering around her face and where skin was exposed.

"Ah and I rather like this dress.." Listening to their runner, she asked a rather sensible question of the knight and a request of them all. Grinning to herself, the woman glances at those around her, deciding to take the first steps to civility.

"I come from The Dull Stretch as you call it, name's Xinyue Khulan." Bowing her head lightly the woman absent mindedly adds on to her conversation; "Oh and I may indeed be able to help with that. Well if any of you have jerky or other sorts of meat or nuts, the animals see and heard much, but they act as they wish, the more wild the better, but at least Dogs can be spoken to.."

Not bothering to explain what she meant by that, it seemed at least part of her power had to deal with talking to animals, or she was just insane. Turning her attention to their probable Savior, Xinyue tilts her head with a slight nod. "Alier was it? Well I would assume he and his friend had somewhere for us to go.. If not we should make it a point to be mobile.. But that's just my opinion."

Waiting to see if the others would introduce themselves, or had anything else to say, the Woman from the Steppes clams up, studying the others in turn.

Wren

Grateful but still undoubtedly nervous when the group decided to stop, the cloth covering Wren's mouth pulsated in and outwards as she took deep, heavy breaths. Though her old years of relentless, hard work had made the girl very physically capable, even she had her limits. She was just glad she'd been able to get that young girl away from those... cold-blooded murderers.

Gently setting the girl down, Wren looked intently at the young girl for a few seconds to check if she was okay, before she nervously seemed to stagger back a few steps on the street, re-adjusting her cloth mask to cover as much of her lower face as it'd allow. She hated being in public view like this, and hated cities even more. Everyone was staring at her...

Hearing one introduce herself, Wren's hands shook a little as she held both of her elbows, her footsteps quiet as she retreated a little from the group, though still well within earshot. She really didn't understand what 'Xinyue' was trying to say, no matter how hard she tried to decipher it... Wren must've been too stupid to understand, as per usual.

Her mind too focused on things other than attempting to introduce herself, Wren's wavy thoughts focused purely on thinking on how this small group of girls going to get through this.

Her powers... at first, they'd been silenced. But now, she could feel them starting to manifest in herself again, slowly but surely. But still, when the skies were as clear as this... just a little power wouldn't be enough for her to do anything meaningful.

Please, Wren silently begged, I - no - we, need to protect these people. I need your gift again. Please... please...

However, there was no such luck. All she could do was 'call' the clouds, and even then, she wasn't even sure if they co-

Wait. Call... the clouds...

Thinking back to what she had said about the downside of obscuring their position... maybe there was something she could do.

Closing her eyes, Wren began to concentrate, doing her best to clear her mind of all the voices. She heard the gentle pitter-patter of rain, even though there was none around. Her body felt light, like a cloud, even though she stood completely still. Muttering gently to herself, though it looked like Wren was just acting somewhat strange, she was actually doing something.

What little clouds there were in the sky above seemed to be slowly (but quickly enough to look unnatural) converging in on a position far to the group's West. Wren's thought was that if the knights were aware of her rain-focused powers, maybe she could trick her pursuers into thinking she'd gone somewhere else. A very minor distraction, but it was all she could think of to help other than carrying those who couldn't run...

Once she was done, Wren opened her eyes, before giving a little, wheezy cough as she attempted to clear her throat. Closing her eyes for a moment in dread, she stepped forward to try and talk to the rest of the group, still breathing somewhat heavily.

"U-Um... we, w-we... o-ob-" Wren stammered, seeming to choke a little on her words before she finally got them out, "...obscure... somewhere... we aren't. M-make them think... we're-"

Stopping abruptly mid-sentence, Wren held her elbows even tighter as she backed away again, her eyes erratically drifting around her as if she was deeply struggling on what she wanted to say.

"...Horses." Wren concluded in a whisper, before falling silent once again, sweating profusely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hirja refused to believe reality. She thought it an illusion or perhaps a dream like the one she had about her village. Because only in dreams could she feel someone beside soul. Likewise, only in nightmares could people imprison her without rhyme or reason. Reality forbade such cruelties, for it was a just place where wise, kind goddesses ruled the cardinal directions. They surely rebuked such evils before the thought could enter anyone's mind. Therefore, the heavy shackles on her hands were not real. The same went for the prison around her. Or the food. Or the dirtied water. Or the air. Or the pain in her joints.

Truth hit her like an anvil.

On the second morning of her imprisonment, Hirja found herself within the walls she had dreamt of last night. Their texture refused to change and even as she tried to control the lucid dream, it remained vigilant in its consistency. The weights on her hand refused to budge at her attempts. The subtle ache in her joints got worse. Silver eyes widened and her limbs shivered with the weight of her realisation. Tears refused to answer her body's call as she backed off into a corner, her voice lost to her incoherence. What was this? What was this?!

Her prison.

She howled.

The rest of the time she spent there, Hirja forgot. All she knew that as she looked at the Tower, her throat felt raw. Her muscles were weak. Her posture threatened to shatter. Her soul had evaporated a long time ago, fleeing through the cracks of her shell. She could not even bring herself to look up. Because... because everything felt wrong. The world. The crowd. The promised demise. The knights. The executioner. The wicked axe. Those words. Those words! They were death, death, death, dea-

"Come with me, all of you!"

Her shackles snapped. They fell to the ground. She stared.

A spark lit in her eyes as the world seemed to slow around her. A deep, primal part of her being latched onto those words and the next second, Hirja found herself fleeing through the streets. Her body burned, but she did not care. Her joints creaked with her steps, but she barred her lips using her teeth. Her agony stopped at her mouth's flesh; a muffled scream. A mad dash. A chance. An opportunity to return to her village so she could make people happy again. A breath. Empty lungs. Feeling light-headed. Losing her feet. Everyone stopping.

Another breath. Coughing. Words. What did they- Swimming vision. Strange clothes surrounding her. Were there people underneath? Heavy eyelids. More words. Food? Rain? Oh, those were people. Not clothes. She could be so silly at times. She needed to take a deep breath. Yes, Hirja reminded herself between two shivers, that was important. Bit by bit, spot by spot, her vision cleared up while her wheezing calmed down. Unfortunately, she missed the conversation completely, but she could read the situation.

Tension hung in the air. Everyone was as tired as her, if not more so, and they wore strange clothes. They held no clues for her to decipher, but at least she could think straight now. She-

She paled.

"I... I'm sorry... but... what's happening?" Her voice wobbled. Her fingers bunched up with what little force she could muster. She did not even know who these people were. So why did she flee with them?

At first, Hira weakly struggled against the sudden grabbing, pushing off against the girl's shoulder, but as the minutes passed, her struggles became less energetic, and less frequent. Eventually, she just downright hung on, letting herself be carried away from the wretched scene of death, carnage, and spiritual oppression. Really, the girl carrying her away was doing her a favor, but...

Anyway, once she was set back down Hira stared back at the surprisingly short girl who'd carried kidnapped her - now more composed - and nodded her appreciation, silently. It was the most she'd give her, considering she was basically forced away against her will. Plus, there was the whole 'running for their life' thing that still needed attending to.

Hira's breathing quickened, but - having been carried part of the way - she clearly wasn't as tired as the rest. At this distance, she began to feel the comforting presence of Aureola return to her, calming her mind. Glancing between the members of the mixed group she'd sprinted away with, Hira took in the sight of each face. So these girls were all like her then? The ones with a special friend inside.

Hira took a long, meaningful glance at Atsuko, as if she was mulling over her question. Finally she answered with a cool, calm tone that sounded more mature than one might expect from her, "No, I can't do anything that would help. Anyone else?" It was an unapologetic lie, but one that was for their own good. She could only make things invisible if they were touching her in some way, and Hira wasn't about to have half-a-dozen people fighting to invade her personal space. Surely, there must be a less invasive method one of these girls had.

"We're being hunted and executed for something we had no choice in," Caibry flatly said in response to the girl with the red face paint. By her accent, Caibry placed her as a fellow native of Verdigris.

As another girl spoke up, Caibry repressed a sigh. Directionless, confused, panicking, crazy. These were the people fate had thrown her in with. With the threat of Baelwill knights looming, they were frightened and looking for solutions, but not a one of them seemed to have one to offer. They were in need of leadership, at least until the Baelwill traitor that had saved them returned.

If she returned. Something Caibry thought unlikely. Powerful as she had seemed in those frantic moments of flight, no one person could fight their way out of the heart of Baelwill.

"I'm Lady Caibry Vessil, of Verdigris," she began. Then, turning to Wren, "A nice thought with the clouds, but I'd advise you do not repeat it. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some way to sense when we use our powers, in which case you are trying to bluff through an open hand.

For now we should find somewhere inside to hide and gather ourselves. We're blending in for now as just more foreigners, but our descriptions will spread quickly. Especially obvious things, like that mask of yours, Wren."
Caibry wasn't sure how the nervous girl would react to being singled out, but she felt it still needed to be said. If she was lucky, Wren would find the authoritative tone an anchor to latch onto. If not, Caibry would make do.

For a moment, there had been an invigoration in the heat of escape. Hyacinth delighted in movement, boundless and unchained, finding gospel in each perfect step. But she had been chained for far too long, her motions rusted over from inaction, muscles atrophied, and fatigue manifested as an acrid burn of her lungs. Loathe as she was to admit it - more to herself than to any of the others - she was tired, and near-rejoiced at their temporary respite.

"Hyacinth Solalessia, of Mecrundyr." There were, perhaps, a myriad of matters more important than the giving and receiving of names at this juncture, but she appreciated it nonetheless. No camaraderie amongst the nameless, as she recalled. "Now begging your pardon, my Lady, and many thanks in advance for the pardon should you give it, but there's... eight of us? Nine, if the lady of the ghost swords returns to us. No small task to conceal.

All those people, cheering at the prospect of our heads removed; I cannot imagine that any part or person of this place could shield us from the... hate, my Lady." She paused, unsure of the word. 'Hate' - it sat uneasy upon her tongue. "And besides, it is chaos now - how should we ever escape the city if the Knights of Baelwill regroup in order? We could wait, 'tis true, for an opening, but for how long? I'll not chain myself to this place a moment longer... Apologies, my Lady, but I agree with the masked one;

Clouds and horses."

Deep breaths.

He breathed in slowly, giving them time to come up with their plans. Giving Atsuko the moment of respite she needed. But it was Faire's last words that stuck with him.

Even escaping the city wouldn't be enough. Movement had to be continuous. Unceasing. He was not part of the hunts for the Goddess-Stained himself. Did not know how they were found. But it mattered not. As long as they were on the move, they were going to be fine. And it was clear that some of them were in better physical shape than the others.

The grip on his sword tightened, knuckles whitening beneath his gloves.

Then, it loosened, and the silver haired knight sheathed his sword. His own body was still strong. Mellaphen's blessings still seeped through his bones, the naturally superhuman physique of an ancient hero pulsating through his body. If it was one person only, he could carry them with ease. And ultimately, his allegiance was…

They still hadn't decided, and now, the citizenry could hear them. Could point. Could piece together the fragments of conversation that this strange group of individuals discussed.

…was with one person only.

"Southwest gate," Alier repeated, "When you've gathered yourselves, head in that direction. Each second squandered means the noose only grows tighter."

He recognized the light in Atsuko's eyes when she turned her gaze to the others. But he shared not that same light, not that same camaraderie.

"The Knights of Death are coming. Escape before you find yourselves in chains once more."

Another burden to shoulder. Another choice to take responsibility for.

Without further explanation, Alier picked Atsuko up and continued the retreat.

"So you're saying you can woo animals?" Atsuko asked of Xinyue, looking a tad unsure if her added 'wildness' caveat would stop them short of simply yelling out into the sky for some steeds to come out and whisk them away. She listened to each of them in turn, doing her best to memorize their names on the spot, pinning their abilities from what little they gave of them... if at all. Hirja's 'introduction' worried her the most of all; was the girl even fully there?

The most she could give was a nod in response to Caibry, frowning at Hirja. "Are you quite alright?" she asked, ears falling aside. Caibry's suggestion only dampened her spirits further. Atsuko hadn't considered that, in the midst of their deliberation, at first instantly relying on their exceptional abilities, and perhaps being all too excited to see them return.

"I'm afraid I have to imagine that is a possibility as well," she hummed, "Though I would have to wonder how they hadn't found us already and caught up. We lack the stamina Alier has, and his fellow knights are no different, I imagine." Perking back up with newfound determination, Atsuko took charge once more.

"Then let us continue. There's little else we can do. We should search for some horses. We'll have to st-! Wahhh!" Before she could finish, Atsuko found herself carried like Hira had been mere moments before. "A-Alier! What are you doing?! I can run!" Her protesting did little to stop the knight, however, and surprise turned to frustration as the other Chosen disappeared behind her. In a flash, they were alone.

Someone else would have to take charge.

The mutterings of the populace around them were growing, and their expressions more indicative of suspicion and dislike. Lost as they were within the city as a whole, they could at least tell which way was shortest to Eaganomach's outer edges. How long the distance actually was, none present could be sure of. But one thing was for certain, without a means of fast transportation, they would not escape the city, much less Baelwill, before someone caught up to them.

Watching the group in turn a few did not bother with the civility of introducing themselves, the first to speak seemed to be incredibly shy, hiding her face behind a mask, was she burned in a fire? Smirking a bit at the notion the procession continued, the next was confused or maybe insane, the one after was as seemingly useless as she was at the start.

Then a noble and another woman, who she was, well that was up in the air, the Noble had a personality true to form, the other woman seemed to favor escape. As for Xinyue herself...

Moving her lips as if to speak, the conversation was cut short by the sole male of the group, picking the Tanna up in his arms, the instructions the soldier left were fairly simple and the crowds were beginning to be a bit too much. Either way she had no interest in a discussion with them on it, or rather with humans on the issue.

Walking off on her own down a side alley, the Steppes woman places her right middle finger and thumb partly inside of her mouth, whistling and alternating between clicking her tongue, drawing a stray dog into the open and gaining the attention of a rooftop cat, formerly dozing in the sun.

"Ah, hi there, what are your names?" Getting a bark and meow in reply the woman nods her head thoughtfully.

"Mhmm I see, strong names. So, do you know much about the Humans, more so the ones of Iron that guard the gate of the low Sun?"

Getting a few barks in return, Xinyue kneels down to pet the animal with a scruff of it's head.

"Oh my, is that so? Such ungrateful creatures Humans are.. Ah would you be able to help me out with that? Oh yes I'm also looking for the.. Trampling ones the humans ride.."

Getting a low grown in return Xinue sighs before looking up to the mewling cat, giving a nod as the creature stretches out it's hind and back legs, settling back into slumber.

"That so? Always so Loyal, hmph I'm sorry but I have no Fish, you poor things. Well then, Time to go! I'll bring you some scraps if I'm ever back this way, oh and do avoid the major lanes for today.

Waving her arms at the other two, the woman smirks softly gazing at them all in turn upon her return back in the main street way, or close to it at least. "Well then, it seems Horses are kept in a few stables around the area but a major one not minded by Soldiers would be a Merchant post it seems, judging by the animals words it's called the Bee and Bard, an Inn complex located down the traders road from the Gate.

I intend to escape as a Woman of the Steppe. On horseback and with bow in hand. The question is now to buy the Horse or to acquire it by other means.."

Placing her fingers together with a slight tapping, seemingly weighing her options, before suddenly shrugging.

"I'm not sure I would bother using our powers much here, but we should leave soon. Either way I'll do as I see fit, I wish to meet with our would be rescuers. If you wish to aide me, by all means, if you have your own plans, well by all means."

Leaving them all to decide what they would want to do or offer their own suggestions, leaving an offer of co-operation. For now the smirking woman seemed to have some sort of plan forming in her mind, one Xinyue only shared the smallest amount of details on with the rest.

Last edited:
As the one with many impressive-sounding names addressed her, Wren's pupils seemed to shrink in both intense fear and confusion upon the mention of the knights being able to detect the use of her powers. She'd always assumed they'd followed the strange weather patterns she created; she'd never realized they could detect the source of the power itself. Had her carelessness sold away valuable time for the group?

She'd also pointed out how much she stood out in this city, which Wren was well aware of. It was ironic how she tried to be discreet, but only ended up sticking out like a sore thumb. Wanting to fix at least one of her mistakes, a trembling, calloused finger reached up, touching the top of the mask as if she was about to pull it down. Her eyes nervously darting to the side, however, Wren's tan, muscular arm was shaking as if she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Her arm falling back to her side, mask still up, Wren shot a silent, apologetic look to Caibry, before looking to the floor in shame.

I'm sorry... I just... can't...

Right now, many of the group were confused on which option to go to, and the confusion only amplified within Wren as one of the group got picked up by one of their 'saviors', and just... disappeared. At least she could assume one was safe; that was good. But there still seemed to be no real plan, and the feeling within the air was both desperate and awkward as the girls

Wren just wanted to run. Run, run, run. But, knowing the lives of others like her were at stake, there was no way she could risk leaving them or acting selfishly. After the one called Xinyue abruptly left by herself just as she was thinking that, Wren's eyes were oddly still. She seemed to be statue-like for a moment. Considering. Thinking. Weighing options.

All of a sudden, Wren's body turned towards the East, a fist clenched at her side. If she was the most obvious one here, and had already been detected by the knights with her stupid use of her powers, maybe she'd be better off just seeing how long she could distract the--

--Xinyue, however, soon came back. They'd manage to locate a stable, which was perfect. How they'd done it so quickly was a mystery to Wren, but she couldn't be anything but grateful. Maybe there was some hope after all...

Buying the horses just didn't seem to be an option, unless someone happened to be carrying a good amount of currency at the time of their arrest and still had it. That left the other option, and although Wren wasn't one for theft... what other choice was there? To let the approaching tsunami of knights eventually catch up to them and give all these girls - her included - a slow, painful death for reasons she still didn't fully understand? No matter how she looked at it, it was just the right thing to do.

Hopefully, actually pilfering the horses would be easier to do than it was in her head; right now, she was desperate to follow this lead Xinyue had given. She couldn't just stand around here anymore, and was convinced at this point she was a burden to such a clearly experienced group.

"Must... go..." Wren softly murmured under her mask.

With that, Wren shot off like a fleeting deer, regardless of the stares she was receiving from the general public; regardless of what any of the other girls said. Deliberately trying to take a different route to the stables - one that was more out of sight, even if it meant taking longer - if Wren was going to get caught, she'd at least try and lure some of those monsters away so she could give the others a chance.

Her thoughts were a messy haze as - though she didn't realize she was doing it - what few clouds there were in the clouds above seemed to be ever-so-slowly converging in on each other. Twisting. Spouts of fluffy white that would eventually compress into one small mass of murky grey, as a single teardrop that fell from the running elf's eye hit against cold stone.

After the short burst of chaos, Caibry turned over to look at Hyacinth. "Pardon gladly given," she said wryly, "as long as you don't make a spectacle of yourself as well." Though the others had misinterpreted her plan to a certain extent - she had had no intention of seeking the knowing sanctuary of others - she couldn't argue that escaping before organized search parties could be assembled held a certain allure. Perhaps her initial hesitation had been due to an aversion to the idea of simply stealing horses; an act at odds with her upbringing.

But the simple fact was that, at least for now, she was on the run, and such acts would likely become common place. It was best to accept that in whole from the outset. With that she set out, initially away from both Wren and Xinyue, attempting to distant herself from being connected to their attention-attracting displays as much as possible in the public eye. She motioned for the others to follow if they wished, and kept walking purposefully until she was confident none of the passerby around would've seen them before.

It was only then that she asked for directions to the Bee and Bard and began making her way there direct, hoping that Xinyue's off-kilter behaviour didn't sully the accuracy of her information.

Chains long abandoned, Ethel frowned as their party quickly disbanded, some of the others rushing off on their own. Though at least now they had a single place to regroup—the South Gate—they would still have no way to know who to wait for, or who needed aid. They had already lost one to the chaos, the knight that had broken them all free. She did not wish to lose another.

After a moment's hesitation, she moved quickly to catch up to Caibry. Once level with her, she turned, reaching out a hand invitingly to the youngest girl. With the masked woman now gone, she figured it might as well fall to her to act as the girl's chaperone.

Still, when she spoke, it was to Caibry she addressed her words. "I'm Ethel, chosen by Vesjalla. I don't know what plans you have for the Bee and the Bard, but if things go south…" Her voice quietened, as if already frightened at the possibility. "Leave the innocents to me. I can disable them, without hurting them. Sleep is my domain."