Introduction a la Alvom

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alvom

Original poster
Hello everyone,

So that I confuse no one I won't bother mentioning my real name. I'd say call me Al for short but considering how large the population of this forum is, I'm sure there's at least one Al already, so Alvom will do. I began roleplaying over nine years ago on the RuneScape forums. After a couple years there I eventually migrated to websites designed explicitly for the hobby, such as Silver Glass, the Last Stand and Dark Rain. I even hosted my own forum at one time to support a small, tight knit community of close friends. It's been a few years since I last roleplayed, although I have been writing periodically in the meantime. I am very passionate about storytelling; I love a good narrative, regardless of the genre, and aspire to publish novels of my own on par with a couple of my favorite authors (Brandon Sanderson and Chris Wooding) someday.

Since many of my old friends have laid down their reins in favor of their real lives or have simply out grown it, I come here to begin anew. Ultimately my only goals are as follows: first, to hone my art; second, to develop new friendships; third, to have fun. I hope to immerse myself in this forum and to become a part of the family, and look forward to speaking and writing with all of you.

Sincerely,
the new guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Alvom!

I didn't realize RuneScape had forums. I played.. a long long time ago. We'll leave it at that. XD It sounds like you were bounced around a lot, so hopefully you find something here worth keeping you in one spot! We've got a lot available to help you knock that writing rust off as well. Under the Content section you can find the Institute, which has challenges and exercises that can help you get the juices flowing and polish you up!

I'm not sure if you prefer group roleplaying or 1x1s, but we have plenty of both if you just want to jump in! Several of the group roleplays are still open/accepting new applications, and there are always at least a dozen requests for 1x1s as well. If you don't see anything that strikes your fancy, don't hesitate to start your own request thread. With so many members, you're bound to find somebody who has the same interests and takes you up on a story!

Oh, and don't forget to fill out your Roleplayer's Resume! They're super helpful for others to know what you're looking for!

Feel free to ask questions of anybody, we don't bite unless you ask nicely.

Welcome welcome welcome!

:D

Welcome, Al! I hope you enjoy it here :)

Thank you you two. Mari, if you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Japan are you from? I lived there the past two years before coming to South Africa. A town called Gotenba in the Shizuoka Prefecture specifically.

Welcome to the site, Alvom! May I ask what books by Brandon Sanderson are your favourite? I've read Steelheart and really, really enjoyed it, and am thinking of moving on to the second book of the series. I suppose, in addition, we share a dream of novel publishing also, so I hope you have a great time on our little corner of the internet, make many friends and roleplays and have a great time! We as a community are lovely people and don't be afraid to ask anyone questions as mentioned before. We'd be happy to answer!

I've read Steelheart as well, and had every intention to read the other Reckoners novels, but have not gotten to it yet. My favorite books by him are the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, the first two books of his ten-part series called the Stormlight Archive. Definitely give it a chance if you're interested in high fantasy. Also, the Mistborn Trilogy (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and the Hero of Ages) are very famous and very intriguing. Elantris and Warbreaker are both very good standalone stories, as well as the novellas the Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. I've almost finished reading all of his works, and would recommend all of them to any avid reader of fiction.

Anyway, thank you for your warm welcome ^_^. I've already found a whetstone to sharpen my roleplaying ability, of which I have high hopes. I've done a decent amount of digging around and am certainly pleased with what I've found so far. Expect a message from me in the future if any inquiries arise in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read Steelheart as well, and had every intention to read the other Reckoners novels, but have not gotten to it yet. My favorite books by him are the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, the first two books of his ten-part series called the Stormlight Archive. Definitely give it a chance if you're interested in high fantasy. Also, the Mistborn Trilogy (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and the Hero of Ages) are very famous and very intriguing. Elantris and Warbreaker are both very good standalone stories, as well as the novellas the Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. I've almost finished reading all of his works, and would recommend all of them to any avid reader of fiction.

Anyway, thank you for your warm welcome ^_^. I've already found a whetstone to sharpen my roleplaying ability, of which I have high hopes. I've done a decent amount of digging around and am certainly pleased with what I've found so far. Expect a message from me in the future if any inquiries arise in my mind.
Indeed! I hope to hear from you! And if you're ever desperate to roleplay some Steelheart, give me a call! I'd be willing and ready to give it a try! :D

Welcome!

Glad to have you here! I'm new too, but I've already found lots of great things on this site, people included! I'm sure you will be able to find some fun role plays to join (or have others join an idea of yours!)

I know I didn't put too much in the way of help, but just wanted to welcome you!

Thank you very much, Sparrow. Just the fact that you took time out of your day to welcome me is more than enough :D

Thank you very much, Sparrow. Just the fact that you took time out of your day to welcome me is more than enough :D
Not a problem! Time spent on others is time well spent! (At least in most circumstances^^)
I know it's kinda odd being welcomed by someone else who is also new, but it's really easy to feel like a part of the community, and it's a great one, so you just can't help but want to be a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.