Introducing your child to your significant other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mundane Monster

The most uninspiring of monsters
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Transgender
Genres
Fantasy, Modern Fantasy, Animal based, Scifi, Modern, Horror, Comedy, Slice of life.
Single parents when do you deem it appropriate for your romantic interest or significant other to meet your child and at what point do you feel it us okay to leave you child alone with your significant other/ romantic interest?

I am not a parent, but I suddenly found myself wondering about this.

As a person who has been on the receiving end of this at a young age, I'll offer you some perspective from the point of view of the child. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is the other side of the coin.

Generally speaking, this situation depends on how long you've been seeing said person (leaving the child in the significant other's care), how you present the information to the child (first introduction) and how old the child is (leaving the child in your significant other's care). I suppose it could also come down to how old your significant other is and how well he or she deals with children.

In my case, this first happened to me when I was about 8 years old; I met my mother's boyfriend and he was a pretty cool dude, my mother was candid about it, she told me that she was seeing him and that she really liked him, and in that way, the information was conveyed quite well. I don't think she left me in his care for all that long at any point in time though. Maybe six months into their relationship she had him watching me for a day while she was at work, but never more than that and never over night. When I was left under his care, I was mostly off doing my own thing so I didn't have much in the way of contact with him. I didn't really mind it though. Probably helped that he was a pretty stand up guy for the most part.

I suppose it depends on the kid though, each child is different and can react in different ways to the stimulus.

As a grown man, meeting my mom's current boyfriend wasn't the best, but that's because he's a dick. Still don't like the man.

As a dater of single parents:

-Let the other person know you have a child. It's only fair.
-IMO, don't introduce the child to the person you're dating until it becomes more than just a few dinners and cocktails and tom-foolery.

Perhaps let your kid know you are dating, and what it means, but let 'em know they're not being replaced, and that you're not looking for a new dad. You're just... Dating.

Sorry I don't have more to add. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.