Interpreting Vague Concepts

W

Wolfsbane706

Original poster
I supply the concepts, you supply the interpretation. First off, "A princess on ice." Interpret it however you want and with whatever you want. My only job here is seeing what you come up with.

Dabney finished tying the knots on the princess' hands and feet and sat her on the very large block of ice in the middle of the room. He wasn't real sure why Blakely wanted the princess on ice, but he followed orders. No one could ever say he didn't follow orders exactly as he was given them. He sat down in a chair and waited to hear from Blakely,having had no further instructions than this.

The phone ran and he answered, "Hello?"

"Is the deed done? Is the Princess on ice?"

"Yes she is sir. Sitting right here in front of me on ice at this very moment."

"Sitting?"

"Why yes sir. Was she not supposed to be sitting on the ice? Should she be laying on it? I will need a larger piece of ice..."

"Oh for the love of ...Dabney. On ice means dead...I meant for you to kill her."

"What?"

"K.. I.. L.. L...kill. murder. end her life. Do you understand?"

"But sir...I..she is so sweet..."

"She is in my way. Once I am king you will be handsomely rewarded. Do it now. I will check back in an hour. Be sure to dispose of the body somewhere far away."

Dabney hung up the phone and frowned. He peeked up at the princess and then frowned again.

The princess listened and watched. "Are you going to kill me now?"

Dabney flinched at the words, "I am supposed to yes."

"But are you quite prepared to do it? It will be quite messy I should think."

"yes, I expect it will be."

"Perhaps it was good that you thought to have this ice. I may not bleed as much if i am very cold. That was smart thinking actually."

Dabney looked up at her, "That is nice of you to say, but I only have the ice because I did not know what on ice meant."

"Oh, I see. Well still, it seems it will turn out to your advantage."

Dabney stood and went to where she was seated, "You are taking this awfully well. Are you not afraid to die?"

"Oh yes, quite terrified actually. But I can tell you are having such a hard time. i was trying to ease your discomfort."

"That is most kind of you, Princess. I must say I am sorry I have been ordered to kill you. You are quite possibly the kindest person I have ever met, and i dare say you would have been a fabulous Queen one day."

"Do you really think so?" She looked shocked and pleased. "You would be the first to think as much."

"Really?" he asked sitting next to her on the ice, "Why would people think such a thing?"

"Apparently they believe me daft or some such rubbish."

His face scrunched up in a mask of disbelief, "Princess, believe me when i say I am well acquainted with daftness, and you are not in any way of such an ilk."

"Oh thank you so much for that, I can die happy in the knowledge that my detractors were not correct in their cruel slandering."

"You are most welcome." he frowned again though, "I wonder Princess," he began thoughtfully, "Would you be able to protect me from my employer should I return you to the castle, so that you may prove those evil people wrong?"

"I cannot imagine why I should not be able to Sir. Who is your employer?"

"Blakely Winters."

"Uncle Blakely requested that you kill me?"

"Yes Princess."

"But he gave me a puppy for my birthday. Why would he give me a puppy which requires care and training and then order my to be killed? Who will feed Fluffkins?"

"Just exactly so." Dabney untied the ropes and stood her up. "You will, Miss. Shall I take you back now?"

"Would you be so kind?" she asked, "I really could do with a spot of hot tea. I am rather chilled."

Round 2! Feel free to do either or, depending on your preference.

"A maid in waiting."

Footsteps snap across the reach of polished marble, of columns and of glass and of great, violet curtains. Within this balcony, all is contained in the breadth permitted by high ceiling. Silence is breached -- the sisters whispering back and forth, huddled against the throne room's closed doors, realize they are not alone in quietude.

The bringer of the footsteps rushes in, proudly dressed for a serving woman.

The sisters look on, lips drawn.

"Hullo!" This woman is oblivious to their hardened stares and to her own breathlessness, as she forces out hastily, "I've come to fulfill her Majesty's... wishes! I look... presentable...?!"

The two nuns are quiet still, scrutinizing, until one recognizes they are expected to response.

"You wish to serve?" The older woman speaks slow with a question of her own. "Whatever for?"

"She's a fascinating character, her Majesty!" the foreigner continues. She comes to a halt before the nuns and finally let fall the hem of her dress, a corpulent mass of fabrics; the sisters consider with solemnity.

"I'd heard she'd traveled all about the world! Why, I'm sure these very columns were borrowed from the east!"

"I'm sure they were," the second one says.

"Ah, you both are awaiting entry, aren't you!? That's a very funny thing, there!"

"How so?" asks the first one.

"Because that makes us both maids, if you think about it! Well, I am not a maid yet, but I await the honor, and that adds yet to the humor because-- well, I ought not explain the rest!" The maid in-waiting punctuates this with a cackle. It knocks the rest of the air from her, and she stops to recollect her breath. At this point, she appears as rosy as her gown.

At least one of the nuns, at this point, wishes she would faint.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Wolfsbane706
Cold winds from the mountains raced across the open expanse of a barren plane, each gust capturing a cloud of snow and hurling it across the ice of a frozen lake. From the shoreline, a figure cloaked in black was barely visible amidst the tempest, despite the contrast of their drab garments in comparison to the sheer, textureless white of the surrounding landscape. Overhead, only a faint yellow glow through heavy clouds gave light. All was washed in a pale glow, dim, yet somehow blinding if one focused too hard.

The figure on the shoreline stepped forward, placing a tentative foot onto the smooth, cold surface of the frozen water. Powdry flakes began to settle against his boots instantly, piling into a minature wall. Cautiously, he continued forward, ethereal white fluttering and swirling from his swift steps and flapping cloak. Each step was taken with care, placed solidly before proceeding to the next in order to maintain his balance on the slippery, treacherous surface. Up ahead, a second dark form could be discerned, wrapped in the fluttering arms of the storm.

The approaching figure raised his voice, calling out in a deep, loud hailing. Before the sound could travel the distance, the wind tore his words away, burying and tossing them on a whim. He murmured an imperceptible curse for his own ears and quickened his stride, foregoing a certain measure of caution. As he drew nearer, he began calling out repeatedly, until he stood not but an arm's length from the immobile form of another human soul.

"Princess!" He called out, struggling to be heard over the tumult even at such close proximity. She turned slowly, her face hidden under a large golden hood. "Princess - it's time to return home!"

The gentle, peaceful calm of her quiet voice cut through the roaring winds as if a part of the storm itself. "I am home, now."

The wind swirled in a single burst, lifting the snow in a rushing blast that for a moment, was nearly solid. When it passed, nothing remained in it's wake.

"The procedure is, of course, both simple and dangerous," the doctor said.

The King and Queen of Melavna slumped in their chairs against each other, too exhausted to even bother keeping up a regal appearance in the hospital. The Queen rubbed her face as she glanced behind the doctor to the triage unit set aside just for her daughter. The King rubbed his wife's back through her cotton suit jacket, the two of them awaiting the rest of the doctor's suggestion.

"Yes?" the King prompted.

"Her symptoms are progressing at an unprecedented rate. We can slow down the damage through a liquid nitrogen treatment," the doctor stated.

"You want to put our daughter on ice?" the Queen asked incredulously.

"It is a temporary fix, not meant to be a long-term treatment. It will slow her heart, as well as her liver function, which will negate the action of the poison, but only for a limited time. After a few weeks, the treatment will begin to do more damage than good. However, it will buy us time to figure out what she was given," the doctor stated, sitting in a chair he had pulled up in front of them. "So far, the treatment has worked especially well with cardiac arrest patients, and it has been vetted as a safe procedure - though no one has ever run it for longer than a few hours at a time."

"What is the other alternative?" the King asked, rubbing his beard.

The doctor winced. "We throw things at the board and see what sticks. We start rounds of treatment and go by process of elimination. Some of these treatments can be worse than the poison it treats, though."

The King and Queen looked at each other wearily, the exhaustion written in the lines of their faces. They were getting far too old for this. He looked into the room where his daughter lay, intubated and unconscious, machines hooked into every limb. He took a shuddering breath.

"I think you should start the ice treatment, doctor."