Interplanetary Mistake

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
"What's an ID?" I ask quietly, looking at you. Nothing you said made sense. "And what's an inner world? Mommy never said anyfing..." I start to look scared again. "Sh..she said daddy wan away...do you fink he wan away from the...the inner world?"

((AHAH! PLOT TWIST. Do tell if you like or not, and I can revise/remove post, mk? mk.))

Understanding dawns in my eyes. Oh.

I used to work as a research project head, experimenting with things that could never be seen by the public, with my wife being the head of the entire department. And about 6 years ago, I had left. It broke my heart to leave her, the child, but I knew she'd be better off with my wife, and not with me.

Distant, I reply, "Say the known universe is a great sphere- a great ball. All around the outside of the ball is the Fringes, where few people go. I didn't come from there. The place we are now, they are the Outer worlds. The Outer worlds are the sections between the outside of the ball, the Fringes, and the very inside of the ball, the Inner Worlds. The Inner Worlds is where only the rich and powerful live, where it is a beacon of prosperity. No one dies there, until they have lived as long as they have wanted, and there is no hunger or poor there. ID is a code that, when put into a giant database, describes who you are. Your ID allows you to go to any store, or planet. The more your ID says, the more powerful you have, and the more places you can go to. Except, well, they only make kids over 10 years old remember their ID. And you're 9, aren't you?"

Reactions: 2 people
((OOC: I love it XD))

I nod. "I am nine..." I say. I sigh a little. "I miss daddy...he was warm...like you." I tilt my head a little. "I down't remember much doh.." I close my eyes, nuzzling the man's chest again. He reminded me of my dad. "Mommy misses him..she says when I tuwn fifteen, we go look fow him.." I yawn. "He was nice.." I say, curling close.

I stop, looking down at her, eyes watering. I couldn't even begin to explain my feelings right now, not even close. I clench my jaw, and continue on, looking back up. She misses me...

I start to fall asleep. I shiver again, but not as violently. The man was making me warmer. "M..my last name..i..is McMinn." I say quietly before drifting off to sleep.

I feel the tears coming, but I do everything I can. Once she falls asleep, I raise a hand to wipe away the wetness, and continue on. Already, the large sun is beginning to fall, the daylight hours here being half as long as Earth's. Hammond McMinn. That's who I am. And she's the youngest McMinn. How the hell did she happen onto this place?!

As the sun sets, I shift, mumbling something. It starts to get colder than it already was and I whimper. There's a small fire ahead made by some hideaways, easily visible in the darkened sky. Lights flash down below on the streets. I shiver.

Knowing that if they were Hunters -those who pretty much lived off of stealing and killing, especially those foolish enough to walk the rooftops alone-, that there would be no use hiding from them, I decide to announce my presence. If they were friendly, or if they were softer Hunters [Most Hunters aren't so hardcore that they'd leave a man to die if he had a kid with him], then they would probably share with him, and let him get some rest. Safety in numbers. If not, then he was in trouble, but he knew how to defend himself. So he began to approach the group, resigned to fate.

There where two. One looked up. He saw the child and paused. "Oi...name?" he asked, looking at the child, but asking the man as he stood, knife in hand.

I manage to raise one hand in peace, showing no weapon, and trying to calm him a bit more. "Sorry, mate, Hammond. I tried to get the Mining Department to listen to the Unions, ya?" I reply, speaking with the rougher, more british-y accent that most people on the planet spoke with. Being a very mineral-rich planet, miners were needed, especially with the ever-difficult Cerium ore, meaning that hard, manual labor was needed to extract it efficiently. It also means that, despite the high value, miners were often underpaid, and many people wished for that to change. My name was common among miners; Hammond was the one that managed to get even the most stubborn company presidents to increase salaries, even just a bit, and made life easier for everyone.

Hopefully they wouldn't decide to kill me.

He looked at the girl and raised an eyebrow. "What's tha baby chick for huh?" he asked, twirling the knife.

I shift, mumbling a little and shivering.

"Inner worlds kid, dropped through a teleporter, very high status. They've probably got a track on her right now, so messing with us wouldn't do you any good. If anything, I could come back later and give you a hand at getting some higher status, maybe an upgrade or something. I know her mom, and she's quite influential." I smile thinly. "Or you could try and beat me up, attempt to use the kid however you feel like, but I assure you, trying to beat me will not end well, for you," I say, calmly, and very sure of myself. Confident, but not overconfident. A voice that any Hunter would recognize as someone who is just as experienced with combat as they are, or more so.

The hunter stared Hammond in the eyes a moment. "Fine." he grumbled, sitting back down. "Just don't touch any of Drake's stuff...he'll cut your hand off." he motioned to the sleeping man. "Is she cold?" he pointed at me.

I curl up, my ears flat against my head, my tail curled up along my side, the tip resting between my ears.

I nod slightly, replying, "I would think so. If you have an extra blanket or something, I'd be much obliged." I take a few steps closer, into the ring of light cast by the fire, and sit down near them, not too close, but not far enough away that a bandit might think him unwanted in the group, and decide to drag him away while I slept.

So I prop my back against one of the many odd airconditioners, radio hubs, satellite receivers, and internet router boxes, and get comfortable, holding Sophia [That's her name right?] in my lap, staring at her.

((OOC: yes that's her name))

The hunter nodded. He turned around, pulling a small blue blanket from behind him. He tossed it over. "It might be a little dusty."

I shift, shivering again before nuzzling Hammon's stomach before stilling again, drifting back into deep sleep.

I shake it out with one hand, holding Sohpia protectively with the other hand/arm, and then lay it on Sophia and my lap, holding her. Not being very tired, I lean my head against the metal I lean my back against, and start my night vigil.

The hunter watched curiously for a few moments. "Your going to return her for a prize..aren't you." he said, watching the young girl very carefully. "She's a half-breed..her mother is probably cat." his words rang true. He seemed pretty knowledgeable.

I relaxed under the warm blanket, my shivers fading. My tail uncurled, no longer wrapped along my side. My ears no longer flat on my head.

"That sounded like a statement, Hunter, but although it is true, in a way." Turning my head to look at him, I continue. "I used to be Inner Worlds, just like her mother, just like her. What I did was things that one... wouldn't be proud of, let's say, and I couldn't take it anymore." Then I look back at Sophia, continuing in a soft whisper, "She was about two when I left."

The hunter watched the fire in silence. He remembered his daughter...but that was a different story, with a very different end. "So you are the child's father?...if her mother is in the inner-world, why the heck is she out here??" he asked, looking up at Sophia.

"The Intra-galaxy Instant Transportation Platforms. Commonly known as a Portal. I helped test the earliest versions. Apparently she fell, and ended up here. Fate bids my self-imposed exile goodbye, it seems."