Internet Dating/Dating Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am young and have little experience in this field to really even give input on, but I gotta say I'm so far happy in my relationship with @Tanner8580 online. Yes, it's hard and sucks to be away from each other, but @Tempest has a great point that watching shows/videos, making video calls, and sharing things can really help keep the pain of distance from getting at you.

The point about a year or so to meet is also a great guideline, I think. Luckily I think me and my boyfriend can meet in like a year and a half, which while is a longer time, is also pretty good and lucky considering how young we both are. ^^

Honestly... I believe its possible. I have seen several relationships, even taking years to get off the ground to meet because of circumstances, wind up in quite fruitful marriages. It has just as many problems as dating in person... And its different struggles... It is not for everyone, though.

I guess it gives you a chance to really get to know someone... If you are honest. There are some simple rules to dating online too, really. Like making sure to webcam.. You can really actually get to see them, and it gives you chances to see how they interact without the time to stop and think through their every response like is possible with text... And really, online dating offers something you cant always do irl... Sever the ties if things are really bad, in a pretty permanent way...

Yes, you can't do the "normal" couple thing of dating... But you can schedule activities... Like perhaps, watching shows together? Sharing music? Cam/mic sessions? Playing games together... Just, a lot. And it is a different experience. But not to say you can't "have 'dates'"...

But maybe i am biased. I have been jn a relationship now with my girlfriend, @Foxxie for several months now. And it is the beat relationship I have ever really had, irl or online. And i really feel like things will work out in a permanent fashion <3

Sorry if the message wigged out partway through... Something weird happened to mydialog box mid message ao i am typing blind!

Holy shit you and Foxxie are going out? I had no idea. That's awesome, good luck to you two. :D

Well you definitely have to be old enough to handle yourself when it comes to predators, but I see no problem with it. Not like I'd sign up for a dating account myself being a minor, but maybe someday on Valentine's day I'll feel lonely and somewhat desperate. It is a bit easier than hoping you randomly meet someone online and strike up conversation.

Duuuuuude how do peeps still not know?!
Because I'm, like, so behind on the times. D: I haven't spoken to many folk, including you and Foxxie, in forever - I only even got back into the Skype chat the other day. How would I know?

Because I'm, like, so behind on the times. D: I haven't spoken to many folk, including you and Foxxie, in forever - I only even got back into the Skype chat the other day. How would I know?
Shows how good a friend you are! But I forgive you <3

My cousin met his wife trough one. Serisuly though, the discrepancy between dudes and dudettes tend to be rather big. Meeting someone on a site like this or otherwise? More then likely, given enough time, skype and other things. I met my ex trough a similair site. That lasted for 7 months, something of a record for me. Yes. I am bad with relationships. Either way, it ended only days ago and I do not regret a second I spent with her. Just be careful and always mindful of telling details. Internet personas can be very different from irl ones.

: < is not like its a secret love!
It's not constantly put in people's faces either though. :P
Plus you know, we're on a text forum. We can't exactly see you two cuddling in a corner or anything while we're doing something else.

Last edited:
I say to each his/her own but just know that they're so many Catfish out there that a show called Catfish was made as result XD Not to mention that the urban meaning also became a secondary definition so be wary of who you meet online. If you're the type to pursue one though, I suggest videochatting before creating a bond with such and such so you'll know who you're talking to beforehand. Confirming appearances is always good to get out of the way first.

Outside of that, there's not much I can give outside of be smart and don't send anybody nude pics or shiz like that. However, if you still wish to do so, just prevent your face from being seen so that no one won't have the opportunity to make a fool out of you. My personal views, it's just like any other type of relationship if you know what you're doing. Except that it requires that extra commitment depending on the distance between you and you're partner/romantic interest/girlfriend/boyfriend/whatever else.

As for me joining a dating site...I already have. I was on one a couple years back and I got into one good but short relationship that I sort of managed to rekindle temporarily the following year before it broke off again. Then I started dating this girl who was real shy and had quite a fascination for poetry. So I used my poetic skills to get past her barrier (She said my poetry needed work but still said it was a nice try, which was enough for me). However, I was going through serious real life stuff shortly afterwards and I lacked the mentality that I have now to keep grip onto what I had sooo...enough about that. But all in all, I met girls who were what they said they were and I even have this real close friend that I'm still cool with after nearly three - four years so it's neat....as long as you play it smart of course ^_^

Many people in my graduate program have met through online dating sites. Many of them have married. Some haven't worked out, but that's really no different than regular dating.

Once you leave the safety of school, meeting people becomes so much harder. Online dating makes it easier.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I have actually had strictly online relationships in the past. They were good for what they were, companionship and love through computers and the internet, but I found the distance too great for anything more to become of those relationships.

Reactions: Poe Dameron
I've had real life dates with women I've met online, and for the most part it's been fun. One thing I like about the initial internet meeting is that you get attached to a personality more than physical appearance at first, so it makes things much smoother on that first personal meeting & interaction.

I think that if the whole relationship starts off well and ends well, then more power to you. Online dating is not for me, because I want to date face to face before I start dating online, you know?
I think it's possible for a healthy and safe relationship to blossom, but I also know there are a lot of creeps and pervs online, so the chances of something good coming out of online dating...it's 1 in 100 for me.
I've gone on friend finding sites before though, only to find out that there are nothing but creeps on their who message you and pretend to be interested in your life and then promptly ask for nudes. I then began using unisex names and playing ball and when they asked for nudes I would send them some underwear male model and never hear from them again. xD

Works for some.

Doesn't for others.

I dunno, guess it's a luck thing.

I have but one word for dating websites: Weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.