Internet censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fijoli

Original poster
We have all been seeing some tussle over the past few years about censorship and the internet. Some say that it's good for us and other say otherwise, some countries have had their internet completely shut off on them.

Wiki's definition of internet censorship

Please copy and paste these three questions to give your input on the topic.

-What are your thoughts/feelings on internet censorship?

-What would you do if your government shut off your internet?

-What freedoms do you experience from being on the internet?

Note: Please be respectful to each other and don't pick each others opinions to pieces. Speak for yourself and let others speak for themselves. Thank you :)

My thought on it is it shouldn't be censored, it should stay free and the people of the world should continue prove that coexistence is a real thing.

I would flip my shit. Probably start a riot. I can't exactly see it happening in America, but if I had a Syria situation go down here in my reality I would not be a happy girl, that's for sure.

All kinds, probably the opportunity to learn from my mistakes is the best freedom I have experienced on the internet. It's just a huge part of my life as it probably is for most of us on iwaku.
Another freedom is my opinions are voiced and myself is expressed. I get to burn my fire for no witness.

Reactions: 2 people
What are your thoughts/feelings on internet censorship? I believe that the internet should not be censored. For many, it is an artistic platform. Or a means to promote their business or run their business through (Etsy). It is one of the best ways people communicate with each other. Simply doing this not only prevents these people from their crafts, etc, but is severely detrimental to all the countries as a whole in the means of trade, and communication. I believe people would be much more oblivious than they already are if information was also censored. Because lets be honest, if they begin to block artists from putting their material online, and the simple things, they will go all gun-ho, because it's power over people. You essentially brain wash and leave them in the dark.

What would you do if your government shut off your internet? I would certainly start a riot, and if that didn't work, I would seriously move to a country that does not shut off the internet from its citizens.

What freedoms do you experience from being on the internet? Research -- there are days where I will Google information and articles on topics I would like to learn about. I like reading the news as I sip my morning coffee. I write. I RP. I sell my commissions and advertise my businesses through it. As embarrassing as it is, my life and my income depends on the internet.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
Indeed.~ ^^ Censorship is bad in all aspects.

I do not support internet censorship, and it's become much more important to me that we don't do this as I look at other countries who shut down certain websites, track bloggers, and basically hunt down those who express their opinions.

I would more than likely protest. It's our freedom of speech and I quite like that right.

Being able to express my opinion and see the opinion of others. Sure I encounter opinions I disagree with, but I also encounter ones that mirror my ideals as well.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli and Smo
It may sound overly dramatic, but the internet is probably one of the most important things that exist at the current time. And I don't mean that because of gaming or something like that, but because of the amount of information that you can gain through the internet.

First, we can educate ourselves in a way that was either not possible or very hard just a couple of decades ago. Theoratically speaking, we have information from almost the entire "first" world at our fingertips and we can learn whatever the hell we want.

Not only is it a powerful tool to learn about things, but you also get to know people and meet people that you would never have met, you get to understand all kinds of people and overall may very well become a more comprehending beeing.

Effectively, the internet is a completly free realm, because no one can stop you from talking to people and achieving the information that you want, which can be both great and also harmful to different people. For example, one could learn how to build a bomb and blow up a school with it, or one could learn things about their government that they are not supposed to know.

What are your thoughts/feelings on internet censorship?
Needless to say, I feel like internet censorship is a bad thing. And I imagine that it has the same roots as for example racism, that is fear. Fear from people knowing too much about their government, and starting to doubt it, rioting et cetera. Or fear that other knowledge is obtained, which is truly harmful, like the bomb example. In my opinion, all knowledge should be free, without barriers. More often than not, disclosing knowledge is not really helpful and only the easier way to do things. If you keep your citizen uneducated and they have no one else to listen to besides you, they will listen to you. For Kim Jong Un, this is really nice.

Probably riot, and if no success is to be gained, I would move into another country, like Swiss. I just do not want to live in a country where knowledge is kept from people in a manner like that.

-What are your thoughts/feelings on internet censorship? It should never be done EVER. The internet itself doesn't belong to anyone. it's not a territorial thing so government has NO RIGHT to stick their noses into it.
(Oh and if you guys want a neat extension for blocking tracking check out Privacy Badger for both Chrome AND firefox)

-What would you do if your government shut off your internet? Rally the troops! If we can't make them change their minds then I'm movin' to Norway! Or someplace where I can still use it freely. I mean I'd continue to rally people from there but damnit I need internet!

-What freedoms do you experience from being on the internet? I have the freedom to express myself, I rp, I learn, I code, I do all sorts of things online including looking for a job or an internship.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli and Smo
This is why Bing should be killed with fire.

I would SO go to Norway too!!!

To be fair it's much smaller there, safer, and I have a friend who's more than willing to put up with me! XD

No. It's all part of a clever scheme of a government run by corporations and capitalists

I practically live here so I'm sure relapses of sorts. Like "OH MY GOD THERE IS A GIANT BRIGHT ORB AHHH TURN IT OFF" or "this doesn't happen in world of Warcraft"

Internet anonymity is probably the most liberating thing ever. But it can and does turn people into cruel monsters, only those who let it. A free internet lets other peoples voices in not-so-fortunate countries have a voice and facilitate change. Hopefully not into the blithering idocy here in the US.

Smile for the NSA kiddies, smile and wave.

• Thank You

I disagree with all censorship. Knowledge is power and I will fight to the death for my right to personal empowerment. Internet is arguably the most important platform for communication and education since it is practically all at the personal level. There aren't editors, there doesn't have to be a profit incentive, and there can be opposing agendas. This is the first time in human history that individuals can share original content across the globe without being routed through some form of publishing agency.

Protest. Possibly riot. A government for the people, of the people, and by the people has no right to limit freedoms like internet access and if they tried, I'd start looking for a new government. I will not be ruled without my consent.

This has already been pretty well addressed. RPing, writing, expressing opinions, collaborating with people I share interests and experiences with... oh, and breaking news from any and every source.

• Thank You
What are your thoughts/feelings on internet censorship?
I think it is a load of bullshit. I don't believe in censorship and I believe people should be free to say what they want to say and read what they want to read. ...with the obvious conditions of not harming others. Cause y'know, freedoms shouldn't exist at the expense of hurting others.

What would you do if your government shut off your internet?
Probably nothing, if I am honest about myself. >> I WANT to say I would riot and protest and pitch a bitchfit about it, but I am not one of the take action and save/change the world kind of people. I wouldn't be brave or strong enough to get out there personally and try to do something about it. My priorities would be keeping myself and my family safe. I would, however, support those fighting for our freedom of internets in any way I could.

What freedoms do you experience from being on the internet?
I have met people I NEVER would have met otherwise! Best friends, my husband, family members. Gotten in touch with a long lost friend. Helped build a community. Knowledge of anything I am curious to know about right at my fingertips. I'm able to keep up with current events with a variety of opinions and point of views. I don't believe I would be alive today if I hadn't made the connections that I did online!

Status
Not open for further replies.