Internal Affairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As he finished his meal, he realized the server had returned. Quietly he considered her inquiry.

He had watched the village for the entire previous afternoon. Now as in previous visits, it seemed horses were a bit of a rarity. Thinking on it, he imagined most people born here remained their entire lives. What plow horses the farmers had, he was sure they would be loathe to part with.

Finally he looked up.

"No, nothing else."

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen was distracted when the young feline girl approached him, in the quiet manner one should expect from a cat, and he only noticed it when she cleared her throat. Not very far from the felines himself, his pointed ears - that most people assumed to be elvish, but were wrong - twitched with the sound.

"Excuse me...Do you..mind if I join you?"
In the first moment, his mind was black, so quickly after the huge chaos from before he was sincerely surprised. His clear eyes blinked, before his expression softened in a kind smile. "Of course not. Please..." He removed his empty plate and adjusted his seat, leaving free room for the girl. She was clearly tense, her body giving all signs of discomfort, from ears to tail, but he couldn't guess if it was only due to a natural timidity, or if there was fear of any kind. At least, she was not enraged with him, considering the past of their people; a past she seemed to ignore, deliberately or not.

Quickly, the traveler started to gather his worries and errant thoughts, leaving them for another moment, and returned to his normal alertness. Still observing the other man on the tavern occasionaly, he folded the letter on his hand, putting it back inside his robe.

"I'm Allen. Allen Rue. I'm passing by, now with no clear destination. I believe the wind will carry me when the right moment comes." He grimaced in a playful way. "And you?"

Mizuki would catch his quizzical look; wondering if, perhaps, her question to join him was a mistake. Perhaps she had been too bold in her action...Yet, only soon after would his face soften into a returning and kind smile; adjusting himself as he would allow her to stay. She seemed quite pleased with this, for a soft purr left her lips before quickly ceasing as she pulled out an empty chair beside him; the feet of the chair squeaking against the cool ground as she moved it before sitting herself comfortably against it.

For a moment, she took time to examine him further; paying careful note of the occasional glance he gave towards the travel worn man which seemed to be speaking with the waitress, watching the letter in his hands; the thin paper letting out a soft crinkle of sound that would send her ears to twitch as he folded it neatly in his grasp; sliding it to hide within his robe. She was a curious person, whether because she was feline or not, but Mizuki knew asking of such a personal object would be rude...especially if she asked it of someone she didn't even know...So, instead, she would decide to ignore the matter for now...Perhaps bringing it up in discussion at a later time...

At the mention of his name, she would glance up at him then; returning her focus on him. "Allen.." She would mutter, as if speaking his name would give it familiarity on her tongue. Another soft smile would tug at the corner of her lips; sharp feline fangs clear behind them as she did so. "You may call me Mizuki...I live in the forests nearby this tavern, and have for many years..I suppose I was curious enough to finally check things out in here..." She would explain, wondering where exactly this man had come from. As a traveler, Mizuki was sure he had been to many places...Was he far from his home land?

Her slender tail would curl behind her into what seemed to be a similar shape to that of a question mark; pausing for a moment. "You travel...Where is your home land?" She would finally question, hoping to get to know the man a little bit better.

901447b65e5245e94986c9bc7f91a64b.jpg

~
The sun rode further and further across the sky, slowly dragging te last rays of warmth with it. The girl wrapped herself in a squishy hug, arms surprisingly strong despite their unimpressive size. Still the chill grew. Cold would wait for no man - not now, not ever. That was another one of nature's spells, yes?

Though much less cozy...so much less cozy.

For the first time that day, a quivering frown melted the cheery expression upon her soft lips, and a melancholy glint shimmered within her eyes. She knew what she had to do now...what she did whenever it got cold. She'd skitter up and trek back to her camp in the leaves, curl up atop an old piece of fabric and sleep until the sun kissed her cheek again. The merciless wind blew a leaf across her chest and into the trees behind her. It whistled loudly as it passed by and then faded back into silence. Laughter continued to waft from the Tavern windows, hanging in the air, teasing, goading. The cold girl shut her eyes and drew in a long, tantalizing breath, lips trembling - beer and fish and milk and cake and tea.....there was only grass and a half-consumed bird waiting for her back by her fabric. She'd....get going soon. But her stomach didn't quite agree, protesting with all sorts of embarrassing noise.
She shook her head sharply and drooped against her knees, which were splayed out against the ground, prepared wither to run or to jump at a moment's notice. Not that there was anything to fight now...nobody was around...she was more fighting herself.

And in the end, she lost.

The wind seemed to increase for a moment and the air shone with a faint blue light - in less than a moment a small white weasel quivered where the girl had once crouched, plush white fur bristled out defensivly against the icy breeze. With one last gurgle from her ever-fussy stomach, the girl gone ermine wriggled fearfully from the treeline to the door - and finally, through a hole by the front of the Tavern.

Tsht! The furry creature, so stunned by the warm air, so enchanted by the lovely food aromas, could hardly keep herself upright amongst it all. At the same time she became aware of all the people around. With a small squeal, she tripped over her tail, blundering right into the leg of a woman dressed in flowing purple and gold. She cringed, tail shooting between her legs.

Please don't see me, please don't see me, please...!

The woman threw down a sharp glare in her direction, eyes scanning every inch of the shivering fluff. The "girl" stared right back at her, eyes full of horror - and then relief. She knew that stare- the wrinkled nose, the frustrated confusion, and then the grunt of relief. She couldn't see her. The woman had felt the soft brush against her ankle, but when she had looked down, she hadn't been able to find a single sign that something had been there. Most people couldn't see girl by the trees, nor the weasel now huddling right in front of the woman's face. Only a select few...those with high potential or familiarity with magic...and a few others she hadn't been able to pinpoint.

The weasel once girl crept away from the scene slowly, cooing softly from relief as her belly kissed the cold stone floor. Too close...she would return to her fabric now.

Suddenly, a tall lady with red hair and horrified eyes leapt from her seat and into her husband's lap, pointing right at the escaping fluff.

"VERMIIIN. VERMIN. I HATE FERRETS-"

Ermine...! she thought, slightly peeved but much more afraid, little heart pounding in her chest as she scrambled right into the door. Most people simply stared at the "empty" space the woman pointed to, unable to see whatever was there - but a few were glaring right at her, one mouthing an "aww", and one with a gruff snort. He disappeared into the back and quickly came back out with a broom. The white creature bristled in fear, eyes scanning frantically for the hole she'd come back i-
A shock of pain raced down her spine as something hard crashed into her back, mewl smothered by straw-stiff bristles. A few onlookers gave grunts of approval, but the vast majority of spectators couldn't help but wonder why that man was swatting at a bare stone floor.

"It's a pleasure to know you, miss Mizuki." Allen replied, gently. Though she lived at the forest - as she told him herself - he could notice that her clothes were clean and neat, just a bit unusual compaired to the clothes of most villagers. Mizuki probably lived isolated, but had a place to call her own. "Do you live alone in the woods? Is it safe to you?" All her character passed this feeling of sweetness, and he had no doubt her heart had the same disposition to candor. But her felines eyes had this faint, almost invisible shade... of someone who bears some weight alone.

"Me? I was born in a vast island from the south, and lived close to the Sea through many years. I crossed It to explore the continent a few years ago, and have been discovering these lands for a long time, now. Here, I've met a precious friend I only knew by letters before." He smiled at the memory. "I expected to meet her here, too, but I was mistaken. Probably I will only meet her if I decide to go to her place..."

His words were cut short by the sight of something white and small cross the tavern, disappearing behing a table. The woman sitting thee seemed alarmed for a moment, but found nothing with her eyes. He was sure there was something. Then... it appeared.

"VERMIIIN. VERMIN. I HATE FERRETS-"
It's not a ferret!... was his first thought, but the negative reaction from the woman worried him. While most people was just trying to find the source of all the disturbance, a man soon returned with a broom, and he knew what was happening next. It was unfair with a creature that did nothing to deserve that-...

Then he looked at 'it's' eyes, and saw how much sentience was in there. His body reacted even before his mind; he grasped Mizuko's hand and whispered "We must help!" soon getting up. Unfortunately, he was not able to avoid the first hit, but he caught the little white body with his hands before the second, leaving a small amount of coins in the same place, in only one fluid movement. Ignoring the people confused about him 'paying' for this specific amount of air from the floor, and hoping Mizuko would follow him, Allen exited the place as soon as he could.

He was not sure if the smell of earth and leaves from his clothes and body would help to calm down the litthe form inside his arms, or if he would be recognized for what he was, at least partially - a predator. After his legs carried him far enough to exit the vicinity of the tavern, he entered the first part of the forest.

"Sorry, I'm sure you're not used to being carried like this. Probably not even touched." He told the white soft form between his arms, probably still immersed in complete terror. Sitting on the grass, he opened his arms, freeing the creature, letting him or her choose what to do next, including escape. "I just wanted to help. I mean no harm. I know you can understand me." He could feel it. The animal part inside him knew.

So much touch, so much sensation. First pain, then jolting noise, screaming, screeching. The broom - she assumed it was a broom - felt like pins and tasted like aluminum, reminded her of that time she'd gotten hungry and tried to ingest a coin purse. Tasted like blood. Felt like blood. Felt like blood because blood was warm, right? Suddenly the pain had ended, replaced only by intense, cradling warmth and a hushed sense of silence - she was vaugely aware that the air around her was cold - the icy breeze scorched her little nostrils as they weakly twitched, pink and desperate against the chilly outdoors. But her body was warm, warmer than she ever was despite being swathed in a fluffy, endearing white coat. No - there was some sense of bodily warmth, so comforting that she dismissed the two horrifying stenches of cat nearby. Right now, that was all she wanted, even if she thought perhaps she was lying in a pool of her own blood...silly of course, since she couldn't smell the blood, but then again, she'd always been a silly ermine...er...girl.

She curled up now, wiggling deeper into whatever was so warm. After a great deal of wriggling and squirming she could hear a musical pounding noise - it went boom-boom over and over again, like a violent but passionate waterfall. For a second she thought briefly of something somebody had told her once about a heart, but that was the only time she'd actually heard of one and so she wasn't sure they existed. Not that that mattered, if she was dying. Not that dying really mattered, as long as she could stay warm.
The warmth and the pounding and the smell of food took all the pain away. The soft, fuzzy girl-creature squeezed her eyes shut and sneezed softly, ignoring the pain in her back and her lungs for the moment. Whoever had thought cleaning supplies could hurt so badly....
Boom boom, boom boom....

She could hear a fuzzy but distinct rumbling now. Sounded vaguely like words - musical despite their gruffness. She heard carried and touched, but she couldn't make much sense of it - suddenly she didn't feel as warm as she used to. Like her blood and the booming had moved away a little. She wiggled back towards the warmth, shaking and trembling and hungry and afraid. The cat smells were still nearby...she was scared. But hopefully most tiny white weasel creatures would be scared if a big man hit them with a cleaning stick...she didn't want to sound like a coward...

Mizuki would give an awkward shrug to his question of her living alone. Was it safe for her? She would assume so. If anything, she would be the danger to any that made their way through the forest in her territory...But, she would not make mention of such a thing. It wasn't necessarily something you brought up in conversation; the fact that a demon who was blood thirsty and ready to slaughter within your soul haunted your every waking moment. She would clear her throat slightly; eyes seeming to nervously gaze away from him then as if she was unable to look at him without feeling a tinge of guilt. "Safe? Ah, of course. I live alone, but...what dangers could possibly be in the forest besides wild animals? I assure you, I can care for myself..." She would insist; leaning more on the fact that her years of living alone in the forest would, hopefully show him, that she knew well how to keep herself afloat and he would no longer question it.

Though, as he began to speak of his own lands, her eyes would slowly seem to move back up to him; picking up on his words as if they held some sort of meaning. Especially when he would make mention of this supposed friend that he was supposed to meet here..Or, had thought he was supposed to meet here...So, from connecting his words, the letter he had quickly hidden on her arrival must have been from that friend of his...She would part her lips to question the connection, finally, but would suddenly be interrupted as a shrill scream would reach her sensitive ears. Mizuki's ears would tremble, a cringe of pain clear on her face. She had never enjoyed loud sounds, for the simple fact that loud sounds such as that, which effected others little, clearly caused her discomfort with her more attune hearing.

Suddenly, her eyes would snap to attention towards the location of where the commotion seemed to be occurring. It didn't take her long to notice the small and fuzzy white creature that trembled with fear and scurried about against the cool floor; the creature standing out like a bright sore thumb. Yet, to her surprise, only a few seemed to notice it...It took her a moment to realize that many others around the tavern would simply only look about with confusion; unknowing of the creature before them...But how could they not notice something such as that?....Mizuki found herself confused on the situation, though eyes growing wide when she would note the man quickly coming out with a broom to swat at the creature.

She would flinch however, once more, eyes snapping towards Allen as she felt him suddenly grasp her hand; having not expected the sudden contact as he stressed his concern for the creature and the fact that they should help. Of course, she would entirely agree. Mizuki was not one who enjoyed watching others be hurt, creature or anything of the sort; giving him a stern nod. She would let out a worried gasp, however, as they stood; noting the harsh bristles of the broom making contact at first hit; though watching as Allen was quickly able to gather up the fuzzy creature before another strike could be made; dropping a few coins with clattering sound as he rushedly left the building. Of course, she would quickly follow after; tail twitching and swaying with interest behind her as she did so.

By the time Mizuki had caught up with the two, she could see him sitting in the clean green grass, having had released it from his grasp. Hesitantly, and slightly unsure of this new creature, Mizuki would walk up to stand beside him; the dried leaves and twigs cracking beneath her feet in her movement before she would pause at his side. Strangely enough, he spoke to the creature...as if it would speak back. But then again, stranger things yet had happened...Would it speak? Or was it a silly thought?...Despite the fact, no response was given...As should have been expected...and instead, the small creature...whatever it was...Would only wiggle back into the safe warmth of his arms...Perhaps still too fearful to run away and finding safety in his presence.

Mizuki seemed a bit nervous; ears pulled back as her tail would curl around her waist; keeping somewhat of a distance between them, at that point, as she would step back and stand a few inches behind the two. She...could not see blood...And she wasn't sure the impact of the broom would have caused any bleeding...But Mizuki didn't want to take any chances...She couldn't smell any blood...And she would take a moment to move her eyes over the creature the best she could to see if she would notice any crimson liquid. Though, it was very hard to examine her thoroughly in her shivering and curled up state. "Is it...alright? Is it hurt?" She would question, hoping he would be able to give better judgment of the creature's status being that it was in his arms.

The villagers knew of Tαmӕl βίzγѐ, the odd girl who lived in the forest with Mrs. Kuttle, not too far from town. She didn't show her face often...Mrs. Kuttle had called her her granddaughter, but it was plain to see they were not related. The old woman had been short and stocky, with round ears, grey hair, and a calm disposition. Though Tamael was also short and had the same pudgy nose as her "grandmother," her hair was chestnut, her build was slim, her manner energetic, and her ears were large and pointed. These ears grew from the sides of her head, but had such a point that they nearly reached the top of her head.

Mrs. Kuttle had died two months ago, and the townspeople had not seen Tamael since. Now, the lass nearly bounded into the tavern, grabbed the edge of a table on the way, and bent her knees as she swung herself onto it and stood. Her large dark eyes flashed every which-a-way, like hornets trapped in a box, but when she looked at someone her gaze seemed to lock, as if entirely focused for that second. There seemed to be an energy within her that could not escape.

"The cottage, it burns!" shouted Tamael to any who would listen. She saw Ralf, the barmaid, and a few other patrons. "I only lit a candle," Tamael tried to explain, "I thought maybe I would light the fireplace, but it is summer. I thought the oven or the stove to cook, but I could not decide which. I wanted to go down to the cellar first. I just wanted a candle. And-now it is all afire!" Perhaps she was babbling, but she was agitated.

Last edited:
The white ermine on his lap, instead of running in fear of him, searched for the warmth and protection of Allen's body, much to his surprise. His hands and arms enfolded him or her again, in a protective gesture. His fingers caressed slightly the white fur, searching for any wounds, while trying to make him/her relax. "I believe it's not hurt. There is no blood, and the moves are normal." he answered Mizuko. "But it's probably painful, being hit like that by someone much bigger. Like it could cause any problems besides trying to find some food. The woman cried like it was the plague itself..."

He thought to himself, still talking to the feline girl by his side. "Have you noticed... that not all people there could actually see it? It was not even hard. But many seemed completely lost." He looked again at the tiny furry ball in his lap. "Maybe it's magic? Have you ever heard of magical creatures among these woods? Totem animals, shifters, anything like that?"

When looking at Mizuko, Allen finally noticed how uneasy his new friend was. She was scared, looking carefully to the ermine in his lap, but not because she was actually afraid of it, or at least not because of what it was. Was she trying to find something? Her eyes were tense, and once again he noticed the girl was probably used to deal with something he couldn't imagine at the moment. Her loneliness had a reason he could see was both sad and terrifying; by his side, he felt compassion, for the two delicate beings around him. He was a natural solitary - it was in his nature, for he was not a lion -, but caught himself wanting to protect others.

All that passed by his mind and heart very quickly, his face masking everything behind his now calm expression. Time would tell how to proceed. Everyone had secrets, including himself.
"It's okay. Don't worry." he told Mizuko, smiling. His ears could catch a bit of the sounds still coming from the tavern, and now a subtle smell of smoke carried by the wind arrived to his nose, still vague.

Touch -

Her mother had touched her once with guiding hands, loving fingers pressed against the soft cheeks of her daughter so very long ago. They had lived in an old hut then, so far away from where the girl now slept beneath the trees that she was quite sure she could never find it again even if it hadn't been destroyed. This made her sad on thursdays, and sometimes by spring water. The hut had been a fond memory- warm and dry and full of motherly touch.

Then there had been the rough touch of the disaster...the prodding fingers, the jerking, the jeering faces which seemed to directly squeeze her heart, and most of all the touch of the earth, which made her tiny heart falter and even now flattened her ears against her head.

Some touch, most touch, was accidental and fearful- shoves from wanderers, and the uncaring jostles of those who couldn't see her. They never apologized and she would always fall, clumsy in crowds despite her agility in the cloak of the forest. Maybe she was only nimble while confident. Sometimes people grabbed her arm to make sure she was actually there. A small purple bruise slept on her right shoulder.

A couple of years ago there had been a man with sunshine in his eyes, and he would touch her. He would run his sunny fingers through her short curly hair or pull her into big warm things that she had once been told were called hugs. She would touch his stomach sometimes, because he would make funny reddened faces and she'd get a good laugh. It was only for a short time. He had to leave.

Then she had been alone, and she had forgotten about touch. She had feared it. As the fleshy warmth of contact cradled her fuzzy quivering body and the fingers like angels stroked through her fur, the memories came flooding back. This wasnt so bad. It made her squeak. She could get used to this- and also to a nap, if only those cats would disappear...her tiny body shivered and sneezed, curling up within the alien warmth and strange sensation called touch. She would only stay until it was safe to leave...only until it was safe...

Mizuki would seem to relax slightly at his deduction of no wounds being seen; a soft sigh escaping her lips as her shoulders would droop; ears lifting up once more in a more perky way as her tail would curl and sway behind her then. As long as there was no blood, she had nothing to worry of...Though, despite the fact, she found his words true. "Yes, I did notice that..." Mizuki would simply reply to his question of her having seen how most seemed to not notice the creature at all. She would cross her arms over her chest; placing a claw against her lips with thought. Of course, magic, to her, was nothing far off to believe. She had seen many strange creatures and...things...in her time.

Although the tiny little creature resembled that of a small ferett of the sorts, it obviously was not simply that. There was something...different about it...Yet she just couldn't put her finger on it. "I have heard of many things within this forest...All of which you ask. But still...I have not necessarily ever seen...this creature...or it's abilities..." Mizuki would explain with a light frown to her lips then. If it had any other abilities, that was....So far, all they had seen was the way that others seemed to not entirely notice it was in existence...Most, besides the certain few that were able. Did it even have any other abilities?...

But then, something else would seem to catch her attention. With much better smell than most, she would tilt her head up towards the sky; ears twitching...The pupils of her eyes shrinking into small cat-like slits in thought as the scents processed within her mind. It wasn't just wood burning...It was fabrics...Other materials...This was no normal camp fire, and something was wrong. In the distance, a cloud of thick black smoke could be seen curling up into the air. Whatever was burning was hidden from view, however, behind thick trees and forest. "That isn't right. Something is burning...Not a campfire. Something is wrong." She would insist; tail twitching with anticipation at her side. Was someone in trouble? Could someone be hurt?

Mizuki was glad they had saved the small creature, but there was danger elsewhere, now. "We should check it out." She would state; glancing down over at Allen with worry in her eyes. She would not say anything of the pure white animal in his hands, but was certainly worried that he would bring it. If there was danger, it may run off at the wrong time and in the wrong path of something, which could hurt it. But she would leave the choice up to him.

The commotion breaking out caught him entirely off-guard. He scanned the floor as the woman yelled about ferrets, but couldn't locate the source of her fear. Then the man with feline eyes, and the girl who seemed of a similar species both made for the door in a rush the man seemingly scooping something up on his way.

Has everyone gone mad?
He looked to his now empty plate.

Moments later a girl entered and vaulted onto a table saying something about a fire in the cabin. He had a vague idea what cabin she referred to. He didn't live in the village but had been here a few times before and remembered seeing the small dwelling. Ralf considered for a moment the two paths. He could see what this girl was fussing about, or perhaps follow the feline couple and find out what nothing all the fuss had been over.

Either would cost him time, and with the prospects of a horse slim he elected the third path. With that he stood and made for the door, moving back up towards the camp he had used the night before.

Raven pulls her deep blue cloak over her head, hiding her black braided her and the top half of her flawless pale skin. Her pure red lips pucker as she enters the village slowly, looking at her surroundings. Her attire was different to most what expected from her gender, but the thought didn't once cross her mind. She wore tight black leather pants, with a lowcut top made too of leather. She hums gently, making her way over to the tavern. Entering slowly, she looks at the low lit light and bites her lip. The blue hood kept up, she walks purposefully towards the bar.

A fellow wearing leather walked in, but Tamael didn't recognize him. She had at least met Ralf once before, and considering how few people she knew, that made her count him a friend. So Tamael scurried after him as he left the town.

"Help, please," Tamael said, "it feels wild and alive and angry-" Tamael heard something behind her. People talking. Suddenly distracted, Tamael left Ralf's side and followed the sound. She quickly came upon Allen, Mizuki, and a white weasel.

Tamael had seen Mizuki in the forest a few times, though never spoken to her. That still counted her as a friend, so Tamael faced her as she spoke.
"The cottage blazes," Tamael said earnestly, pointing toward the smoke, "what do I do?"

He looked back as the small girl came towards him. Those blue eyes narrowed slightly, but as he began to form a response she was gone again. The answer, he assumed, was simple. The cottage would likely burn to the ground before anyone could save it. He didn't command water magic, and heavily doubted anyone else in the area did. It was also unlikely she had enough water at the cottage to put out a fire, and just as unlikely that anyone could bring enough from the village proper in time.

As she moved on to the two that had left the tavern in a rush he gave a helpless shrug and spun to continue his trek.

"No more arrows.." Aspen muttered as she pulled her hand away from her empty quiver with dismay. At the sound of Aspen's mutter, the dragon hatchling scuttled away in panic, in search of its mother.

Aspen had been watching the hatchling for what seemed like ages, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Figures that Aspen's ignorance had caught up to her this time. "Serves me right." Aspen pulled herself up from the mossy ground and wiped off her sabor leggings. With a sour mood, Aspen kicked a tree stump and began to make her way back to her camp where she would gather more arrows and hunt for the hatchling once again.

Whilst she walked, the birds and rodents made cheerful melodies and beasts' occasional bellows served as comfort to Aspen. This was her kind of life- the wilderness. Where she wasn't harassed by tons of people like that of the town life. The thought of the town gave Aspen shivers, made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She was always considered the misfit of the townsfolk, being an elf instead of human.

She was different from the others- standing a foot taller than the average human man. Her purple-tinted skin reflected elaborate tattoos mocking those of sabor stripes. Her hair was thick and blue, giving off a faint ghastly glow and just barely hid the lengthy, pointed ears of hers. But the trait that segregated Aspen the most from the townsfolk were her abnormal eyes. They reflected shades of pink and purple, eerie to most, but they were the only eyes she had.

Nearing the camp, rustling could be heard from the undergrowth. Aspen stepped closer and the racket grew louder. Just as Aspen reached the bush, a large beast leaped from the shadows of leaves and pined Aspen to the forest floor, it's large face pressed against Aspen's.

Aspen took a deep breath.

"Hey there, Lansing." Aspen chocked to regain her air and placed a small kiss on the large sabor's nose. Lansing, the large beast, returned the kiss with a loving, welcome lick. "Ew!" Aspen exclaimed and pushed the cat off her.

"You'll never believe what I seen! It was the dragon hatchling! Right under the Great Oak.. Gosh, I had the perfect shot.. If only I had some arrows..." Aspen exclaimed while she tore through the undergrowth to enter the camp her and Lansing shared. Lansing gave a small meow, "...And we could have had us a nice dragon stew, I know it's your favorite.. Ugh! How frustrating!" Aspen continued as she made her way to her chest, kneeled down, and dug through her belongings. "Arrows... Arrows.. Where areee yoouu.."

After a couple minutes, searching became frantic. "Oh no.." Lansing padded up next to Aspen as she slumped down.

"We're out of arrows. We have to go in town.."

Reactions: AAB
Allen was divided between his urge to help whoever could be in danger in the fire, and to dislodge the little creature finally peaceful between his arms. He looked at Mizuki, sharing her tension, feeling the smell of smoke become even stronger. Suddenly, another figure appeared at the place, a girl very tense about a fire - no doubt the same they were worrying about. Resolved, he got up, trying to not disturb completely the ermine hold tight agains his chest.

"Yes, we're going to help. Hurry up!" he told the girls, before running. His strode, yet his feet would leave just a very discrete mark on the ground, like he had nearly no weight. His arms wrapped around the warm body close to him, Allen tried to not shake it with his swift moves. Soon, he could see the cottage, still not completely destroyed by the flames. But soon all the fragile materials would burn to ashes.

"Is anyone in there?" he cried, with no answer. He deposited with much care the white creature on the ground, quickly taking out the coat adjusted with straps from his body, leaving only the leather undershirt he used to protect his torso. With the coat, he did a small 'nest' in an elevation far from the fire, and from the smoke carried by the wind. He hoped the warmth of the clothe with his scent would be enough to give the ermine a feeling of safety. "I'll be back soon. Please, be safe." And to the girls, he shouted, sure Mizuki would hear him even from far. "Help me take an eye on it!"

From the open door, he could see no one was inside the cottage. He started to save what he could from the debris, bringing different objects.
Zehani, please, bless us with your waters...

Reactions: AAB
As the two trotted along the path, Aspen hummed a tune and Lansing growled along. The two had always been inseparable and nothing was changing.

Aspen was prepping herself for this trip to the village, working up enough courage to retrieve everything on the list her and Lansing had come up with. They'd figured if they were off to town, they might as well pick up whatever else they needed. The two didn't have much money, but stopping at a trade post to sell some goods was one of those stops the two had planned.

"Okay so first the butcher.. then spices.. arcane.. then arrows and....." Aspen stopped in mid-sentence at the scent of a familiar smell. The air was tinged with bitterness and fear. It seemed familiar.. It was..

"Fire!" Aspen breathed and dashed towards where the scent was hovering from. The air became thick as the undergrowth thinned and revealed the town. Lansing followed his trainer with determination.

"Hey!" Aspen called, trying to get someone's attention. "What's going on?!"

The little creature, as she had apparently been dubbed, warbled pitifully in the swath of warm cloth. She could still taste the sweet sensation of fingers against her coat, gently stroking her back, rubbing her belly with alluring gentility. Her mother had once told her that nothing golden lasted, something a rare and wise creature called a book had once asserted. The girl, though she now didn't much seem like one, had been careful over the years to remember this. Nothing golden lasted. The sun was golden. Coins were gold. Her old wyvern friend had been gold. Her mama had been gold. So far, the book creature was right. And now, it was right about another thing, because the gentle touch too, had been gold.

With a disgruntled mewl the fluffy white weasel recalled how the stroking had turned to jostling and bumping. That, she didn't much mind- then at least the wind had whistled through her fur and the softness had been against her paws, like she was flying on a big fluffy cloud and the booming was her loyal companion. That hadn't been so bad. If ermine tongues were any good for making girl noises, she would have squealed and shouted FASTER to the sky. But now the booming was gone and the ride was over, and all that was left was the smell of cats and smoke. Cats and smoke and fear and confusion...and she couldn't see a single thing! Inside of her head, a lilting voice chided her.

Silly girl, it mused, playful and wise. You haven't even opened your eyes!

The ermine girl liked to consider her thoughts a different voice...it was less lonely that way, and she could take less responsibility for the Wild thinngs that ran through her mind.
And so, with a flirt and flutter, the small body opened its eyes. They shone golden brown behind the curls of smoke, and, if anyone cared to notice, far more expressive than the eyes of any ermine should rightfully be.
This creature inhaled deeply and exhaled in a fit of small wheezes, her little sides heaving with the effort. Open eyes had not done much good...she only saw clouds of smoke and rushes of bodies, and frantic mouths that served only to amplify the ringing of booming voices all around. Suddenly, she remembered why she had kept her eyes closed. Fear. This scene only scared her. Away in the distance, she noticed, her heart now hammering, stood the trees- a safe place, a quiet place where her cloth awaited. She took a painful wobble in that direction, ears flattened against her head and eyes wide with distress.

But then she caught sight of the curling wood. The ermine stopped stiff in her tracks. She'd seen that wood before - at least, she remembered vividly the curling, the way it shrank and turned to clouds, and bit everyone who was trapped inside with jumping red teeth. For a moment she didn't see this hut burning in the cold - it was a different one...a familiar one. The curling wood had her name on it and the name of her golden mother.

Before she was quite sure how she could help or what she was thinking, the tiny white creature was galloping headlong towards the burning hut on tiny white legs.

.....well it was more of a wiggle. But still.

He stopped, cursing, and turned around. Back towards the cottage, back towards wasted time.

He fancied himself pragmatic and largely self-serving, with the exception of Sarcen of course. However the reality was that part of him was something of a humanitarian. That was what had made him seek out The Fist, was it not?

The girl who lived in the cottage, and her caretaker would likely be homeless. He could at least offer a few coins.

He called upon one of two powers his craft granted him and faded from view. In this state he moved much swifter. Its true name was lost, but he called it Ghost Walk. A state of being invisible to eyes and possessed of higher agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.